New Guy looking for a Collab

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

New Guy looking for a Collab

Postby PopRocks » 04 Apr 2013 11:29

Hey there, first off thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm new to the whole music fan base part of MLP, so I would like to give it a shot. But I have a slight problem. Although I can record myself, that is all I can do at the moment. :(

So let me list what I am going to need. I am looking for multiple people, two at the most. I need someone to create the music. And I need someone who can sing, rap, and write his/her own lyrics. I have already writen my own lyrics and have decided the song I would like to use. It is gonna be a Cover/Remix of "Monster" by "Meg and Dia" (For a reference of how I want it to sound, here is a video below.)

I'm also open for any changing when it comes to my own lyrics and/or ideas. I want this to be a great learning experience on how to be a great MLP music artist, so by all means give me feed back through out this project. I am literally working from the ground up. So mold me into a great MLP Artist oh Great Ones!

If your at all interested or have some tips to throw at me, feel free to shoot me a message on here, or you can Skype with me. My Skype username should be on my profile.

Thank you again for reading and I hope you have a great day. :)

PopRocks Out!

PopRocks

Re: New Guy looking for a Collab

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Apr 2013 13:12

Alright, a few things to start you off:

1) Thank god you don't have "vinyl scratch" as your internet username for your music, there are already quite a few people who have that as what they go by for music. Avoid cliches in music as much as you can.

2) Get good equipment to work with. A $20 USB mic will not cut it.

3) Get good software. If you're going to be doing music, you need software to do this properly. Some good starter software is FL Studio 10 and NI Massive, those are just the commonly used softwares. A few others to take a look at are Ableton Live, Cubase, Propellerhead Reason, NI FM8, Kontakt, and Nexus 2 (which some people hate, others don't. It's sorta a back and forth battle here. Omnisphere is a bit better than Nexus 2, but a bit more expensive). All the software I listed are really good, so read up on them and take a pick if you haven't already

4) Learn music theory

5) Learn sound design. Read the manuals for any synths or VST plugins you get and practice what you learn.

6) Start threads in the proper category. The Sharing is Magic subforum would be a great place for this thread

I may be missing a few things, but you'll learn them as you go. Good luck with getting started on this, and good luck finding a person to collab with.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Orange » 04 Apr 2013 13:44

7. Chill out and do w/e you want with it. Hobby is a hobby is a hobby, have fun with it and make some sick beats :3
Orange

Postby Mush » 04 Apr 2013 13:45

I have been producing music for about a year now, and I agree with most of what itro.. itrot.. ^^ said.

However, he did mention to avoid cliches in your music. Now I am not knocking the dubstep genre or its creators, but many many people start out with it. This isn't a bad thing, as it is a well worn road, but it can be a little too worn. Many-a time in the last year have I seen a new musician pop up with his/her first track, titled along the lines of 'Vinyl Scratch in the club' or 'Everfree Depths' which are trying their damndest to make a dubstep track, when in reality, its a few loops with audio clips and a wobble bass.

Now, I have seen some newbies totally nail it first time. PonyFireStone is a prime example of this, who nailed Trance on his first go with little to no musical knowledge or outside help, and is still producing quality content now.

I am not saying 'don't do dubstep its bad lel', but what I am saying is that you might wish to explore another genre for your first ever song, and maybe dive into the deep end after you have learned to swim in the musical waters.

For me, I was lucky, the water to which I dove into was like custard, and just absorbed my rubbishy little attempts at 80s music. This could be that not many bronies in the fandom make 80s music, so not many even found my failures, however dubstep is very common amongst new people, and everyone wants to be the next Silva Hound at the start... or whatever.

OR, I could have just been completely wrong about you entirely and wrote this paragraph for nothing... Either or.

Just remember the key point. Do what YOU want to do, not what other want you to do. If you want to make dubstep, go ahead, but keep in mind that there are others.

I hope that came across nicely and not as me being mean or anything...

:I
Mad tunes on my channel yo.
Mush's YouTube

Pixels are your friend, buy them a beer.

Hey, want to chat? Add me on skype: stevenmagnet
Mush

Cutie Mark: Synthesis

Postby prozeyic » 04 Apr 2013 13:54

Reaper is a free DAW. I haven't tried it out but people say it's decent. I recommend you do some research on it if you're on a budget.
prozeyic

Primary: Ableton Live 9

Postby Mischief Max » 04 Apr 2013 14:06

Don't take it seriously... Seriously guys...

You shouldn't spend a thousand dollars on equipment...

Somebody said a $20 USB Mic won't cut it... but a hint is that if you learn to master and stuff, a $20 mic will cut it... just have to have some skill (several good artists use cheap mics here)

But either way, do what you want... You shouldn't follow the footsteps of others, because then the music you'd be making wouldn't be yours... so make music the way you want it to sound.
Mischief Max

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Apr 2013 14:25

Mischief Max wrote:You shouldn't spend a thousand dollars on equipment...
I'm spending over a thousand on my home studio, and mine won't even be all that incredible. Great sound system and all, but it will definitely need to be improved. True, you can get by spending about $400 or less on an audio interface, cheap condenser mic and a nice set of headphones, but if you really want a studio, you'd need to spend more than $1000 to get a decent setup. And you all know it's true, too. Monitors, $500, mic, $80, audio interface, $120, midi keyboard, $120, software, $400 for a a DAW and a few good synths, that's already over $1000. You could build your studio cheaper, but what I listed is a slightly decent setup, and it doesn't even include a few acoustic panels. Alright, so the setup I listed is a bit above decent, but you get the idea. Studio equipment is expensive, so unless you plan on buying everything used and pirate the software, you aren't going to get by on spending less than $200 on equipment and make good quality original music, or at least not efficiently.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Postby LoreRD » 04 Apr 2013 14:36

Wrong subforum and DON'T POST MULTIPLE IDENTICAL THREADS.
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby Nine Volt » 04 Apr 2013 15:02

...why did this guy post the same exact thread twice?
Also what's with the picture of a pony creator OC taken of the computer screen by your camera?

Mischief, just... don't even. If you're at all serious, a 20 dollar USB mic simply will not cut it.
Nine Volt

Postby Nine Volt » 05 Apr 2013 04:50

But in the same vein as what Kyoga is saying, an uncut diamond will still be rough. Essentially, stuff like mixing and mastering are only slightly less important when using high end gear. Polishing a turd still makes it a turd though, so seriously ignore what Mischief is saying and get good gear if you're serious. Or if you come back at all. You know, whichever.
Nine Volt

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 05 Apr 2013 06:21

I'll offer my 2 cents.

If you're new to music in general, don't be disapointed if you don't make anything good for a while. Or potentially months. Also, the internet is at your disposal, use it. There's heaps of tutorials (especially for Massive) out there, following them to the letter and using those sounds isn't a bad thing to do when you're starting out. In fact it's great, it helps you get your bearings with what sounds are good for what. But always experiment afterwards. Take what you heard in the turorial and try do it differently etc. When your starting out, don't be afraid to just go all out "Oooh! What's this do!?" all over your tools, I still do it ^^ it's fun and you can learn quite a bit from it.

Now, samples, don't go right for Vengeance kits or anything like that, be a cheap bastard and get some free packs, there's a stickied thread full of free samples in the sharing section. Just remember one thing, less is more when applying effects to your drums. Sometimes things only need to be hearable and that's all you have to do. Of course, like I said, don't be afraid to experiment with it. Just be careful what you do if you intend to release a project, look for feedback if you're not sure. No one expects you to know everything, and no one will think less of you if you ask them to share a bit of wisdom with you.

And yes like the others are saying, don't get equipment by half measures, get something passable, a good mic, some acoustic treating (not expensive, just foam on the walls lol) and something to act as your popfilter. Hell, I've used a sock before. Just as long as it prevents that big BWUSGHHGHAGSH you get when you blow into the mic by accident.

Other than that, have fun. It's a hobby, don't let it rule your life or you'll stop enjoying it.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby PopRocks » 05 Apr 2013 08:55

Thank you everyone for your tips and thoughts. I'm gonna use every bit of information you guys gave me :)
PopRocks

Postby Magnitude Zero » 05 Apr 2013 14:30

No one posts this anymore. :(

Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Return to Technique