How to Woodwind

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

Re: How to Woodwind

Postby MixolydianPony » 18 Aug 2012 14:23

EnnervateIndustries wrote:Another tip for people who want to write for woodwinds: Don't just write off clarinet in lieu of flute or oboe! I've played many pieces by many composers who give nothing but harmony and boring stuff to clarinets, and it gets really dull. Clarinets can add a really cool sound to a piece if you use them right.

As a clarinetist, I'm fairly sure this is biased...

Not biased at all.

Example:

This is a great example of a variety of clarinet-y things, and all woodwinds in general.

P.S. I'm a clarinetist too. ^^

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Postby WavesOfParadox » 18 Aug 2012 15:47

I'm a bassist. It annoys me when the composer gives the basses nothing separate from the celli. And when they just ignore the two other octaves we have.

YouTube
SoundCloud

Haiti Charity Album
Haiti Charity Album

"A good composer does not imitate; he steals."
-Igor Stravinsky
WavesOfParadox

Postby Kopachris » 18 Aug 2012 21:20

WavesOfParadox wrote:I'm a bassist. It annoys me when the composer gives the basses nothing separate from the celli. And when they just ignore the two other octaves we have.

Hmm... thinking about writing a contrabass concerto. Maybe something in the style of Ligeti... :twisted:
Kopachris

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 09 Nov 2012 21:42

Bump for Dr. D's massive amounts of swag. This helped me get in a woodwindy mindset when you made it, and is still helpful, looking back!
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Sonarch » 09 Nov 2012 22:10

Doctor stahp, you're making me want to do orchestral. I don't even have time to do the rest of the music I want to do. Maybe someday...
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby v.lossity » 03 Apr 2013 06:36

Sorry to ressurect a dead thread but I dont want to start a new one.

Anyone care to recommend any good woodwind VSTs or libraries? I am working on an orchestral commission project and I want to expand my range and skills. I need something to tide me over until I drop the 200$ for Hollywoodwinds.
v.lossity

Postby itroitnyah » 03 Apr 2013 08:16

If you have a soundfont player (such as Directwave, or I guess that Kontakt will work), have some samples. I haven't tried out all of them, and I think that these are mostly just violin or string instruments, but you can take a look around these, there may be some woodwind instruments in this pack.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Lying Pink » 03 Apr 2013 11:36

itroitnyah wrote:If you have a soundfont player (such as Directwave, or I guess that Kontakt will work), have some samples.

I second this one.
Also worth a look are the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra set of VSTs and the Philharmonia Sound Exchange sample website -- although the second one is a load of individual, separately saved samples rather than VSTs (a download manager such as DownThemAll is useful for this one) -- and the samples require a little jigging around (there's a short section of silence before the instrument starts playing on each one). That said, it's good for legato sounds that are often hard to replicate with VSTs, and the orchestral percussion section is particularly extensive.
Fnord.
Soundcloud | Tumblr | Skype | YouTube | Email
/)__~
</</
Lying Pink

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Knees

Postby v.lossity » 03 Apr 2013 17:40

Lying Pink wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:If you have a soundfont player (such as Directwave, or I guess that Kontakt will work), have some samples.

I second this one.
Also worth a look are the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra set of VSTs and the Philharmonia Sound Exchange sample website -- although the second one is a load of individual, separately saved samples rather than VSTs (a download manager such as DownThemAll is useful for this one) -- and the samples require a little jigging around (there's a short section of silence before the instrument starts playing on each one). That said, it's good for legato sounds that are often hard to replicate with VSTs, and the orchestral percussion section is particularly extensive.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will check out the Philharmonia Sound Exchange. I already have the SSO and I am unsatisfied with it so hopefully the PSE is better. And if not...well I guess you get what you pay for.
v.lossity

Previous

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice