So... What got YOU into music? (Essays Encouraged)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

So... What got YOU into music? (Essays Encouraged)

Postby Tephrax » 18 Oct 2011 16:33

Personally i've always been into music. I started with guitar lessons when I was young for a few years, and I was even in my primary school's orchestra. A couple of years after entering secondary school, I stopped guitar and took up piano instead, ascending pretty quickly: getting to around a grade 5 level after a couple of years, but unfortunately my piano teacher passed away a few years back. I was a little pessimistic at the time and felt reluctant to replace her, which ended up in me not taking music as a subject for the GCSE's, despite the fact It was something I would have enjoyed, and when it came to the start of year 12 a year ago, I didn't take music as I didn't have the knowledge from the GCSE years (a moot point)

Despite this I had always wanted to produce songs. I love listening to all kinds of music; ANYTHING; from dubstep to classical. After having about a year's break from piano after my piano teacher passed, I decided to start again with resolution; It was pointless me learning all I did from her to just stop, and so ever since i've been teaching myself. My Theory is limited, as is the effect of time, and lack of formal education, though personally I believe music should be done by feel; by emotion, not some kind of algorithmic win-all process, though of course theory does help which is why i'm teaching myself A (advanced) level music as well.

Really though my journey was kickstarted when I saw a video on youtube about a little program by acoustica called mixcraft. I was inspired by a lot of you, and I wanted to throw my own work into the mix. Mixcraft was very cheap, and I saw the opportunity, so I bought it. This was basically at the start of september this year, so just over a month ago, and thats where I REALLY began. Ever since i've loved making my own music, though I don't tend to get a lot of time to do so with school and study, and of course at my basic level what I make falls a long way short of what the majority of you guys can make, some of which I have to say is nothing short of amazing (Beyond her Garden = Best Ever), But hey, I love a challenge =)

More recently i've moved onto FLstudio which is so aesthetically pleasing it's unreal. Having thousands of windows can become impractical but I quickly got used to the workflow. When I get a midi controllor (Going for an m-audio axiom 25 around december =) ) workflow should considerably speed up. I'm also planning to get NI massive so I can learn how to mix my own synths for use in music.

TL;DR I STARTED MUSIC BECAUSE I WANTED TO

But anyway ENOUGH ABOUT ME WHAT ABOUT YOU?
How did you get into the musical business? What drew you the most to music? Where / how did you begin?
Tephrax will never Give you up, let you down, run around or desert you.
http://soundcloud.com/tephrax/never-gonna-give-you-up-piano
YouTube!
Soundcloud
Tephrax

Re: So... What got YOU into music? (Essays Encouraged)

Postby WoodenToaster » 18 Oct 2011 16:39

Saw someone mention what program they used, got program, learned to use it via youtube. I WAS NEVER ANY GOOD AT ESSAYS.
WoodenToaster

Postby Facade » 18 Oct 2011 17:22

WoodenToaster wrote:Saw someone mention what program they used, got program, learned to use it via youtube. I WAS NEVER ANY GOOD AT ESSAYS.

same here
basically i wanted to make something awesome so i got fl studio had it for a year never used and then randomly decided to look up some tutorials
a year later here i am :P
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 18 Oct 2011 17:30

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=228

I answered this here with a paragraph or two!!!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Tephrax » 18 Oct 2011 17:33

OHISEE thenthatmakesthisthreadsomewhatpointless coolstorymark etc.

Also Dr. D I can't help but stare at your profile avatar every single time I see one of your posts xD it's a perfectly selected clip for a Gif.
Tephrax will never Give you up, let you down, run around or desert you.
http://soundcloud.com/tephrax/never-gonna-give-you-up-piano
YouTube!
Soundcloud
Tephrax

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 18 Oct 2011 18:04

It's just like my concentration face when writing music! :P
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby PiercingSight » 19 Oct 2011 00:30

My story? I could play the piano by ear with both hands when I was 3... Since then I've been writing, playing, and listening to everything I could find that was quality.

Anyway, that's about it. *shrug*
I don't believe in work. I believe in productive play. - me

Yamaha DGX-620, Garageband '11.
Instruments: Piano (by ear since I was 3), violin (barely), Guitar (novice).

http://soundcloud.com/piercingsight
http://youtube.com/user/danegraphics
PiercingSight

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 19 Oct 2011 04:52

Became interested in video game music.

Found out people were making stuff with MIDI authoring programs back in like 2005.

Tried it out, found it fun, figured out how to compose some things.

TIME SKIP TO 2007

Got heavy into happy hardcore, gabber, speedcore etc around this time.

Heard about FL Studio from a friend.

Started making crazy shit in FL but it all sucked hard because I only knew how to use SimSynth

In late 2008 I finally figured out how to do distortion and shit

Started making better stuff

In 2010 I went all srs business and boosted my VST and hardware power levels a bit

Now I make crazy noise shit

THE END
Supersaw Hoover

Postby bartekko » 19 Oct 2011 08:28

Supersaw Hoover wrote:Now I make crazy noise shit

hardcore ambient, it is
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Interrobang Pie » 19 Oct 2011 09:23

I already did this too but then my one was really poorly written.

Supersaw Hoover wrote:Became interested in video game music.

Found out people were making stuff with MIDI authoring programs back in like 2005.

Pretty much this to begin with. I would often browse VGMusic's MIDI collection and search for stuff that I could use in my old Game Maker games. Sometimes I would just open them up in some MIDI editor that I forgot the name of and play it back in there, maybe I'd change the instruments around too. The MIDI was displayed as sheet music so I couldn't really understand anything at all about what was going on, but I guess being exposed to it did something.

Some time later I found a different MIDI program - Noteworthy Composer (which I still have to this day) - and I again started opening random VG MIDIs, but I would also compose my own (I think the previous program had some sort of restriction on that). When I was more confident with the program, and with music in general I guess, I'd compose my own music for my games rather than stealing MIDIs from VGMusic. The game I produced is actually still up on the Game Maker site - here you go.

Through the magic of console emulation I became interested in NES games. Mega Man, in particular. So what do I do? I say to myself, "hmm, let's make an R-TYPE/GRADIUS-ESQUE SHMUP" (seems I never really boarded my train of thought). So I somehow found the one thing that has probably changed my life the most - Famitracker (wow, that sounded really fucking stupid. I apologise). I downloaded Famitracker 0.3.0, opened up a MIDI of Scrap Brain Zone and started tracking, and by God it was easy for me to pick up - I have no idea why you lot think trackers are so complicated!!!! Windows dates the creation date of my first module, ScrapBrain.ftm, as ‎29 ‎November ‎2009, ‏‎21:16:03. The next day I made my first Famitracker original, Spacey.ftm, at ‎30 ‎November ‎2009, ‏‎17:52:51.

So yes, now that I was moderately accustomed to (completely incompetent with) Famitracker, I started making my game's OST - the game was called GIATA (which stood for something, but I forget), it had heavily broken grammar akin to Zero Wing of All Your Base fame, and my IRL friends (eww) were my beta tasting team (that's been a little injoke of ours ever since). The game was never finished. The most impressive thing of the entire game was the password feature I coded - it wasn't just Game Maker's string input thing, it was more like one of those combination lock things but with letter letter letter - number and you had to use the arrow keys to move the letters and stuff. VAT-7 was one of the passwords, I think, along with AYB-0 (ANOTHER ZERO WING REFERENCE FUCK). Yeah. Here's a link all of the OST that was done (GiataCutscene1.ftm and GiataStage2.ftm are the only good ones).

Eventually my focus shifted to Mega Man. Now, a man by the name of Kevvviiinnn was particularly famed for his Mega Man-esque originals, which were made in FL Studio (which as you should know by now is absolutely AWFUL for producing decent sounding yet authentic chiptunes (which is what he was aiming for)). So what did I do? I started making my own Mega Man-esque chiptunes! Except they weren't Mega Man-esque. At all. All of my attempts at Mega Man-esque chiptunes were titled StageX.ftm (you may or may not have heard me mention Stage46.ftm - that is the track I commonly regard as my best composition to date).

What with all these supposedly BARELY Mega Man-esque chiptunes being made, it would come to no surprise that I would combine one and two together and make a Mega Man fangame. The bosses were ridiculous - Scorpion Man the desert robot with giant pincers for hands; Grip Man the factory-going robot with giant detachable claws for hands; Code Man the electric robot with a giant mouse pointer for a hand; Lunar Man the space robot who was a giant crescent moon... what was it with me and giant things?!?!?!?! Anyway, the OST was mainly unimpressive, but rather recently I remastered one of the tracks for it - you can find that here (A YOUTUBE LINK HOLY SHIT). Progress died on my Mega Man fangame. I guess I just lost interest.

On 23 December 2010 I joined the Famitracker forums. The community is shit, honestly. But eventually I started messing around with Famitracker's VRC6 expansion chip thing (to produce yet ANOTHER OST for YET ANOTHER game (which never got started)) - this thread holds some of the results, which I later named 'Badarse'. Recently I started remastering them but I gave up - only 'Criticise' and half of a 'Badarsery' extended edition has been done (yeah, I have a track called 'Badarsery' in an album called 'Badarse'. Gets even more confusing when I say I have a 'Badarsery 2' that has nothing to do with 'Badarsery'). I think the only person that has any idea of what Badarse is is General Mumble, who likes this. Yeah.

Sometime between the above and below paragraphs, I contributed this (Youtube) to another, more superior Mega Man fangame (with an actual TEAM rather than a solitary effort) and I am still in the team as level/enemy designer and beta taster.

Evenutally, though, I started favouriting pony videos on Youtube. And then I uploaded this - notice the amount of dislikes (MexicanSunflower, the person in question, isn't actually a brony. He just watched it whilst high (technically that isn't his music either, he's just leader of the TT project (that superior fangame I mentioned earlier))). Then I uploaded my Remix War 2 videos, and pretty much after that I told all my non-brony subscribers to piss off, which I hope they did. I was still left with 470 subscribers though, subscribers that I didn't feel I deserved added to the count. However, I still wanted to be called under my own name (I actually got pretty stressed about this). This is why I don't do ever do sub specials - because the number is tainted. And my upload views? That's tainted as well by a horrible HORRIBLE HORRIBLE video (it's pretty much Avast Fluttershy's Ass but for me instead of Glaze). It's so horrible that I shan't even hint as to what it might be.

So we've arrived at MLR. But the journey doesn't end there! Eventually I found out about sci's Toastbeard (ZIQ02), and I took it super seriously and did the worst thing possible in FL Studio. Come ZIQ04 though I just gave up trying - it's pretty much all been troll entries (or serious entries along with several other troll entries) ever since. And then Rainbow's Blood won ZIQ06 HOW THE FUCK DID IT BEAT BOTH GLAZE'S RAINBOW FACTORY AND JACKLE'S SUMMER?!?!?!?!?!?! HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT.

tl;dr - i started making unappreciated chiptunes and i still do why god why
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Facade » 19 Oct 2011 10:51

Interrobang Pie wrote:I already did this too but then my one was really poorly written.

Supersaw Hoover wrote:Became interested in video game music.

Pretty much this to begin with. I would often browse VGMusic's MIDI collection and search for stuff that I could use in my old Game Maker games. Sometimes I would just open them up in some MIDI editor that I forgot the name of and play it back in there, maybe I'd change the instruments around too. The MIDI was displayed as sheet music so I couldn't really understand anything at all about what was going on, but I guess being exposed to it did something.

Some time later I found a different MIDI program - Noteworthy Composer (which I still have to this day) - and I again started opening random VG MIDIs, but I would also compose my own (I think the previous program had some sort of restriction on that). When I was more confident with the program, and with music in general I guess, I'd compose my own music for my games rather than stealing MIDIs from VGMusic. The game I produced is actually still up on the Game Maker site - here you go.

Through the magic of console emulation I became interested in NES games. Mega Man, in particular. So what do I do? I say to myself, "hmm, let's make an R-TYPE/GRADIUS-ESQUE SHMUP" (seems I never really boarded my train of thought). So I somehow found the one thing that has probably changed my life the most - Famitracker (wow, that sounded really fucking stupid. I apologise). I downloaded Famitracker 0.3.0, opened up a MIDI of Scrap Brain Zone and started tracking, and by God it was easy for me to pick up - I have no idea why you lot think trackers are so complicated!!!! Windows dates the creation date of my first module, ScrapBrain.ftm, as ‎29 ‎November ‎2009, ‏‎21:16:03. The next day I made my first Famitracker original, Spacey.ftm, at ‎30 ‎November ‎2009, ‏‎17:52:51.

So yes, now that I was moderately accustomed to (completely incompetent with) Famitracker, I started making my game's OST - the game was called GIATA (which stood for something, but I forget), it had heavily broken grammar akin to Zero Wing of All Your Base fame, and my IRL friends (eww) were my beta tasting team (that's been a little injoke of ours ever since). The game was never finished. The most impressive thing of the entire game was the password feature I coded - it wasn't just Game Maker's string input thing, it was more like one of those combination lock things but with letter letter letter - number and you had to use the arrow keys to move the letters and stuff. VAT-7 was one of the passwords, I think, along with AYB-0 (ANOTHER ZERO WING REFERENCE FUCK). Yeah. Here's a link all of the OST that was done (GiataCutscene1.ftm and GiataStage2.ftm are the only good ones).

Eventually my focus shifted to Mega Man. Now, a man by the name of Kevvviiinnn was particularly famed for his Mega Man-esque originals, which were made in FL Studio (which as you should know by now is absolutely AWFUL for producing decent sounding yet authentic chiptunes (which is what he was aiming for)). So what did I do? I started making my own Mega Man-esque chiptunes! Except they weren't Mega Man-esque. At all. All of my attempts at Mega Man-esque chiptunes were titled StageX.ftm (you may or may not have heard me mention Stage46.ftm - that is the track I commonly regard as my best composition to date).

What with all these supposedly BARELY Mega Man-esque chiptunes being made, it would come to no surprise that I would combine one and two together and make a Mega Man fangame. The bosses were ridiculous - Scorpion Man the desert robot with giant pincers for hands; Grip Man the factory-going robot with giant detachable claws for hands; Code Man the electric robot with a giant mouse pointer for a hand; Lunar Man the space robot who was a giant crescent moon... what was it with me and giant things?!?!?!?! Anyway, the OST was mainly unimpressive, but rather recently I remastered one of the tracks for it - you can find that here (A YOUTUBE LINK HOLY SHIT). Progress died on my Mega Man fangame. I guess I just lost interest.

On 23 December 2010 I joined the Famitracker forums. The community is shit, honestly. But eventually I started messing around with Famitracker's VRC6 expansion chip thing (to produce yet ANOTHER OST for YET ANOTHER game (which never got started)) - this thread holds some of the results, which I later named 'Badarse'. Recently I started remastering them but I gave up - only 'Criticise' and half of a 'Badarsery' extended edition has been done (yeah, I have a track called 'Badarsery' in an album called 'Badarse'. Gets even more confusing when I say I have a 'Badarsery 2' that has nothing to do with 'Badarsery'). I think the only person that has any idea of what Badarse is is General Mumble, who likes this. Yeah.

Sometime between the above and below paragraphs, I contributed this (Youtube) to another, more superior Mega Man fangame (with an actual TEAM rather than a solitary effort) and I am still in the team as level/enemy designer and beta taster.

Evenutally, though, I started favouriting pony videos on Youtube. And then I uploaded this - notice the amount of dislikes (MexicanSunflower, the person in question, isn't actually a brony. He just watched it whilst high (technically that isn't his music either, he's just leader of the TT project (that superior fangame I mentioned earlier))). Then I uploaded my Remix War 2 videos, and pretty much after that I told all my non-brony subscribers to piss off, which I hope they did. I was still left with 470 subscribers though, subscribers that I didn't feel I deserved added to the count. However, I still wanted to be called under my own name (I actually got pretty stressed about this). This is why I don't do ever do sub specials - because the number is tainted. And my upload views? That's tainted as well by a horrible HORRIBLE HORRIBLE video (it's pretty much Avast Fluttershy's Ass but for me instead of Glaze). It's so horrible that I shan't even hint as to what it might be.

So we've arrived at MLR. But the journey doesn't end there! Eventually I found out about sci's Toastbeard (ZIQ02), and I took it super seriously and did the worst thing possible in FL Studio. Come ZIQ04 though I just gave up trying - it's pretty much all been troll entries (or serious entries along with several other troll entries) ever since. And then Rainbow's Blood won ZIQ06 HOW THE FUCK DID IT BEAT BOTH GLAZE'S RAINBOW FACTORY AND JACKLE'S SUMMER?!?!?!?!?!?! HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT.

tl;dr - i started making unappreciated chiptunes and i still do why god why

you kidding me i appreciate your amazing chip tune :D
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

Facade

Postby Interrobang Pie » 19 Oct 2011 11:35

YOU HAD TO QUOTE THE WHOLE THING, DIDN'T YOU.

Oh and thanks I guess.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby zorg » 23 Oct 2011 11:10

i'm positive i already wrote a full essay on the matter in another thread..................so yeah, use the search function more
^feel free to disregard | genres... what are those? | :3
[collabgeddon] - too much time passed for this
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Primary: ILyEAN (v0.0.0.0) [Designing Phase]
Cutie Mark: Usually Invisible

Postby ismbof » 23 Oct 2011 19:55

It all started when I was little and my family used to buy compilation cds. We had WOW Top Christian Hits 1997 - 2008, bitchez! I used to love listening to them. Artists like Delirious?, Jars of Clay, POD, The Newsboys, and Audio Adrenaline I couldn't stop listening to whenever I'd go to bed. Then video games happened and almost all of the soundtracks had music I fell in love with. That's where metal comes in, from those soundtracks. (ex: Burnout (Shiny Red Car) 1 - Paradise, need for speed II - IV, etc) The bands like Funeral for a Friend, Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch Engage, etc were on those soundtracks.

Need for speed II - IV: These pc games got me into techno, drum & bass, and trance. Artists on those soundtracks were Romolo di Prisco - techno/trance/drum&bass, Saki Kaskas - metal/techno (fav), Matt Ragan - rock/metal, and Jeff Van Dyck - techno. They still all are a huge inspiration for music today.
You'll know why I praise these guys if you check these songs out:
Saki Kaskas
- Callista - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aTT7hcVpN8
- Little Sweaty Sow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmWw10erNKY
- Siwash Rock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8RXp03wxRY
Romolo di Prisco
- Romulus III - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBO_366ngIc
- Aquila 303 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5arFuwxJky8
- Main Menu - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69-J2m_GyhI
Matt Ragan
- Snow Bags - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhTe7NPx0p8
- Rear Flutterblast 19# - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsfzDAfvJoo
- Snorkeling Cactus Weasels - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlJz6htmpMc

Burnout 3 Takedown: In 5th grade I bought a $20 acoustic guitar just to play the song "Rookie of the Year" (Like the easiest lead ever) by Funeral for a Friend. I realized how hard the intro was so I was like "screw this!".
Funeral for a Friend
- Rookie of the Year - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGHkg2wKNbg

Burnout Paradise: Years later, Killswitch engage caught even more interest than FFAF because of their song intro of "My Curse". It was the most beautiful song I've ever heard and made me feel f*ckin' happy and sad at the same time! I was only introduced to the intro of the song because of how short the trailer for the game was. (trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGipVqH2S3k) I bought the game, burnout paradise, and I was stunned that it was a heavy metalcore song. I didn't know people who make metal could produce something so lush and beautiful! That's what got me to buy a guitar and try mixing hardcore metal, gracefulness, and melody together. "My Curse" was the first actual full song I could play/cover! That all happened when I was like in 7th grade. I practice almost everyday now because of them and Adam Dutkiewicz. I learned a valuable method from them also, the K.I.S.S. method (Keep It Simple Stupid!)

Then Fl Studio Demo came by to say "haaai" and stay and be friends, my uncle gave me interface as gift, and then Mommy said me music I making be good and then said I'm smart! Done.
ismbof

Postby Facade » 23 Oct 2011 21:25

Interrobang Pie wrote:YOU HAD TO QUOTE THE WHOLE THING, DIDN'T YOU.

Oh and thanks I guess.

yes and you are welcome
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby Calamus_Dash » 24 Oct 2011 20:42

I'm already ignoring my homework, so I might as well put my time into something semi-useful.
I started playing classical piano in third grade, but stopped taking lessons in eighth and switched to guitar. After a year I think I switched back to piano, then tried both for a bit, then stopped. I liked them both but had just found out about a mildly serious stomach condition that I had which kinda fucked up my sophomore year of high school and prevented me from doing much stuff out of school. Rather than completely forget about music, I started practicing piano more and more, because I figured it was a lot more fun to play on your own time as opposed to practicing songs your teacher assigns you :P
Just when I was getting seriously pissed off at my stomach for not functioning properly (this july) ponies came around to cheer me right back up :D a few weeks after discovering ponies, a non-brony friend showed me FL studio, and I decided to combine my two most awesome recent discoveries.
This ended up being less of a "how you got into music" and more of a "Calamus Dash types out his life history" post, but eh. deal with it.
how did this get here
i am not good with computer

http://www.youtube.com/user/calamusdash
Calamus_Dash

Postby Circuitfry » 31 Oct 2011 22:05

Want to essaytroll. So bad. But school. You haven't seen the last of me.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Return to Off-Topic Discussion