REMIX. WAR. V.

Re: REMIX. WAR. V.

Postby DJColeTPony » 08 Sep 2012 13:14

I missed Remix War V.
So well i gonna make a late entry into it.
DJColeTPony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby CommandSpry » 08 Sep 2012 13:23

I think you guys can compile a tracklist of the songs people enjoyed the most, and put them on a free bandcamp album (with a link to a free download when 200 run out).

If there isn't an efficient way to vote on them, you guys should just pick out the songs yourselves; I'm sure some people would complain but wouldn't they anyway if people voted on tracks? They would complain people voted for tracks only because of who made them, not quality.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby Stars In Autumn » 08 Sep 2012 13:49

While I personally don't have an issue with a "best of" album, I don't want to put it on Bandcamp for these reasons:
  • This wasn't agreed upon from the beginning.
  • There was never established a standard of quality for the entries, so we'd have to not only vote on our favorites, but take out entries that were mixed poorly, etc.
  • The required file type for a submitted track was a mp3 file. We'd need to get wavs from everyone on the album.
  • People donate to Bandcamp, so even if we have it as a free album, people will be donating money to it. We'd have to figure out what to do with that. Either we split it among not only all the participants, but the original artists who got remixed as well. That would be a nightmare. If we did something else with the money (such as charity), then we'd still need to have everyone's agreement to use their songs for such a purpose. If we disable downloads, then why are we even using Bandcamp? We could do what Sci suggested and just link to all formats.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Decmaster IX » 08 Sep 2012 14:26

The required file type for a submitted track was a mp3 file. We'd need to get wavs from everyone on the album.

Wow, how'd I miss that? I submitted a .wav file.

Well, I'm uploading an mp3 file to minus right now. Is there anything I should do about that? Like, edit my submission with the mp3 link instead of the wav link? Or is it not that much of a deal? I'm willing to do whatever is most convenient for the people running this event.
You can just call me Decmaster.
My DAW: Logic Pro 9
My Soundcloud
My YouTube account
Rainbow and REJECTED
Decmaster IX

Postby Stars In Autumn » 08 Sep 2012 14:49

Decmaster IX wrote:Wow, how'd I miss that? I submitted a .wav file.

Well, I'm uploading an mp3 file to minus right now. Is there anything I should do about that? Like, edit my submission with the mp3 link instead of the wav link? Or is it not that much of a deal? I'm willing to do whatever is most convenient for the people running this event.

We just down converted all the wavs that were found.
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby Makkon » 09 Sep 2012 02:02

Basically parroting Stars In Autumn, I don't feel comfortable at all selling this album on bandcamp. You can't always give it out for free, and then there's all the money going somewhere.
Not to mention that if we do publish an album, bandcamp or not, there HAS to be a standard of quality that will leave people out. This is completely self defeating of the purpose of the Remix War.

If we established that we were going to publish an album from the beginning, things would have been run very differently for the RMW. Since we haven't, we're left short of the things we would need to compile one.

If nothing else, just don't use bandcamp. That's a very bad idea.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen » 09 Sep 2012 02:55

So essentially, what everyone here is saying, is that the huge torrent file on the first post of this thread is basically the closest we have to an 'album' for the RW5. If that's the case, if we're actually going to do a 'best of' album type-thing, and we're not using Bandcamp, then why not distribute this 'best of' album through torrents as well? I know not everyone enjoys using torrents, but hey, it works. It sure as heck beats having to download multiple Medifire links I think, and for an album with such a huge size, it might be a good choice.

Then again, what do I know. I don't know nuthin'. :?
Thirteen

Postby Camsy » 09 Sep 2012 05:16

I think the idea is the 'best of' compilation would defeat the idea of this event. The album would almost certainly go in this order: Big Artist remixes Well known song, Big Artist remixes lesser known song, small artist remixes well known song, and then everyone else is stuck at the bottom with small artist remixes lesser known song.
Support me on Youtube and Facebook.
Camsy

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Jack-of-all-trades

Postby Fimbulin » 09 Sep 2012 12:37

Someone should put together a YouTube playlist of the best songs. That seems like the best idea to me.
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby CommandSpry » 09 Sep 2012 12:42

someone should release all 200+ songs on Bandcamp for free, wasting a few days of his life uploading converted .flac files from mp3 xD

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby Freewave » 09 Sep 2012 13:13

I know we were staying away from any bandcamp /balloon party setup at the beginning so i think u guys are right that switching tactics after completion is difficult and against the initial plans. If anyone wants to make a thread listing their favs from the RW5 that might the best alternative just as a general feedback, this is a forum that hosted it after all. Up to people if they'd even want to do that. A ytube playlist could be a great free alternative. It is clear that with 200+ tracks that many people might have missed on some great tracks or missed some feedback.
Last edited by Freewave on 09 Sep 2012 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Sonarch » 09 Sep 2012 17:38

Alright, when's the next one?
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Stars In Autumn » 09 Sep 2012 17:42

Amazing Remix War all! Aside from a spammer or two and a few issues with the sync party, it went pretty well! Thanks for participating!
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby Pyro25100 » 09 Sep 2012 17:58

It's been fun guys. See y'all next time!
Disregard my username here. I go by Smokescape now.

DAW: FL Studio 10
VST: Sytrus, Harmor, Harmless, Toxic Biohazard
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialSmokeScape
Pyro25100

Postby DJColeTPony » 09 Sep 2012 19:57

I missed Remix War V. Great job everypony! The next remix war will be recorders, Recorders and MORE RECORDERS!
DJColeTPony

Postby Makkon » 09 Sep 2012 21:14

We'll get an early start in summer for the next war.

I'd like to extend a special thank you for Sci, Stars In Autumn, and Zorg, for all the help and time they put into the sync party and making it run as well as it did. Thank you so much, guys!
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby sci » 09 Sep 2012 22:34

honestly I was constantly worried about stepping on other people's toes, but I did what I could to help out!

for anyone not keeping an eye on the other thread: posted the logs from IRC and synchtube1 (mostly) over there.

I even graphed this out a bit:
the Remix War IRC chat was slower than normal toastbeard compo chat (execpt during the first sync where it matches perfectly)

...but combined with the synctube, the remix war had A LOT OF WORDS.
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby TheLonging » 10 Sep 2012 15:27

Quick question: The mp3 of MrCrackles' remix of Boooring is 24 seconds long, yet the YouTube video is about five minutes or so. Is that fixed in the newer torrent?
I'm Decibelle, nice to meet you.

Check out the Right to The Point event!
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton 8
VSTs: Massive, Harmless, Sytrus, 3xOsc, Sylenth
Soundcloud
YT
Music Blog
Main Blog
TheLonging

Postby StevenAD » 10 Sep 2012 19:51

TheLonging wrote:Quick question: The mp3 of MrCrackles' remix of Boooring is 24 seconds long, yet the YouTube video is about five minutes or so. Is that fixed in the newer torrent?

Also, my remix is the only one with an album tag as Remix War 5 instead of Remix War V.
RIP Kiki Havivy. You will be missed...
StevenAD

Postby MrCrackles » 11 Sep 2012 15:52

TheLonging wrote:Quick question: The mp3 of MrCrackles' remix of Boooring is 24 seconds long, yet the YouTube video is about five minutes or so. Is that fixed in the newer torrent?

this is strange.. I test-downloaded it right after the submission and everything was fine =/

or is there a torrent with all the songs where my song is too short?

by the way, I pretty much lost track of the whole RMWV thing... will there be anything officialy now after the sync party or are we free to do what we want with our tracks (like submitting it to EQD...)?
MrCrackles

Postby StevenAD » 14 Sep 2012 19:05

MrCrackles wrote:

this is strange.. I test-downloaded it right after the submission and everything was fine =/

or is there a torrent with all the songs where my song is too short?

I got mine from a torrent and it's 24 seconds.
RIP Kiki Havivy. You will be missed...
StevenAD

Postby ArrJaySketch » 19 Sep 2012 04:10

I'm a music fan who wasn't able to attend any of the sync parties, and I have a bit of a silly question!

Is there a ZIP file I can download or torrent somewhere of all of the Remix War songs?

Much appreciated! I can't wait to listen to all of the delicious ear candy! :D
ArrJaySketch

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby VINXIS » 19 Sep 2012 20:54

It's in the original post...
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Postby ArrJaySketch » 20 Sep 2012 18:46

VINXIS wrote:It's in the original post...

Silly me! Thank you. :)
ArrJaySketch

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby VeganCheesecake » 21 Sep 2012 06:04

Considering the torrent:

1. MrCrackle's file is only 24 seconds long inside this torrent and it should be replaced by the real file.
2. Some songs are missing! So far I discovered these two:

VeganCheesecake

PreviousNext

Return to Remix War