REMIX. WAR. V.

Re: REMIX. WAR. V.

Postby Warbalist » 03 Sep 2012 21:43

C∆m§¥ wrote:I feel like all these different Remix War V threads should be locked and have a thread dedicated to comments etc. :P

I'm with C∆m§¥. This will have the added bonus of making things easier to navigate, also
Warbalist

Postby Navron » 03 Sep 2012 22:11

Yeah, a separate thread might do well.

I'm on detachment right now, and the internet is insanely slow, so there's pretty small chance I'll be able to hop on this Saturday, when my song's lined up to play.

Is it still in the works to have a downloadable excerpt of the chats? I remember somebody mentioning that before.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby sci » 04 Sep 2012 00:34

Warbalist wrote:
C∆m§¥ wrote:I feel like all these different Remix War V threads should be locked and have a thread dedicated to comments etc. :P

I'm with C∆m§¥. This will have the added bonus of making things easier to navigate, also

well for what it's worth, I've been doing my best to keep this TB page functioning as a central hub, pointing to every relevant thread and link and listing all useful info.

we could probably ax this thread in favor of the sync info thread, but I think this thread is better suited to "post-remix war thoughts and comments" (vs the sync info thread's "here's what we're doing next, any questions?")

NavyBrony wrote:Is it still in the works to have a downloadable excerpt of the chats? I remember somebody mentioning that before.
yeah the bad news is that I pretty much gave up on the synctube logs. I have terrible luck with them apparently. :\

BUT, I was able to get all of the IRC logs!, since that's my territory.
sync 1: http://pastebin.com/GqepsjEW
sync 2: http://pastebin.com/cnA71WYR
future syncs: http://toastbeard.bronyradio.com/a/RW5/
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby Warbalist » 04 Sep 2012 01:55

sci wrote:we could probably ax this thread in favor of the sync info thread, but I think this thread is better suited to "post-remix war thoughts and comments" (vs the sync info thread's "here's what we're doing next, any questions?")

Alright, then.

What have been everybody's favorite pieces so far? And how could they or others be better? We need to get the newbie musicians in here to ask for help, too. I'm sure almost everyone will just say "EQ" though, LOL!
Warbalist

Postby Camsy » 04 Sep 2012 02:17

Warbalist wrote:I'm sure almost everyone will just say "EQ" though, LOL!

OH F[YAY]! I knew I forgot something! DX
Support me on Youtube and Facebook.
Camsy

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Jack-of-all-trades

Postby S.A.S.Falcon » 04 Sep 2012 03:28

Warbalist wrote:I'm sure almost everyone will just say "EQ" though, LOL!

EQ? What's that? Something to do with Equestria...Equestria Quality-control? :P

On a related topic (and actually being serious), I would say my favourite remix so far is HangingFromACloud's remix of Pony Party (followed closely by 7th Element and CFX's remix of Still Shy)
My Youtube channel
My Soundcloud (this is more used for sharing small WIPs)
S.A.S.Falcon

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Clef

Postby Cii » 04 Sep 2012 11:25

Warbalist wrote:What have been everybody's favorite pieces so far?

You know, I really appreciated the ironically hilarious "FUTALOO IS BEST bawk! SOCK" Remix... e_e

And FLAOFEI's remix of "Crackle", "Crackle's Second Cousin Twice Removed"
YourTubes: http://www.youtube.com/user/AvantegardeBronyCii
Tweets: @QuokkaCii

I'm on these boards 0.001% of the time, and in the Ponychat IRC 99.999% of the time (check the #bronymusic channel)! (Oh no it's gone D:)
Cii

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Red Spot

Postby Applejinx » 04 Sep 2012 11:36

Sleepingcobrox wrote:Quality control MIGHT be a good idea, so long as it isn't too harsh. I think that was one of Balloon Party's problems, being that the Quality bar was set so high, too many entries had to get cut, and when something showed up on the album that was less than stellar, people complained. I don't wanna see that mess happen again. :?

Can we go by 'how many ponies said "awesome" in the IRC chat'? :lol:

I gotta get what love I can!
Applejinx

Postby Marshmelon » 04 Sep 2012 14:13

Crap. EQing is the part I'm the WORST at.

Also, Quality control would be cool except I'm the first to be cut.
Marshmelon

Postby Navron » 04 Sep 2012 20:04

Applejinx wrote:
Sleepingcobrox wrote:Quality control MIGHT be a good idea, so long as it isn't too harsh. I think that was one of Balloon Party's problems, being that the Quality bar was set so high, too many entries had to get cut, and when something showed up on the album that was less than stellar, people complained. I don't wanna see that mess happen again. :?

Can we go by 'how many ponies said "awesome" in the IRC chat'? :lol:

I gotta get what love I can!

Well, to make everyone happy, they'd have to make RW5 a 4 album compilation, judging from the fact there were ~200 entries, and a 50 track album is pretty much the most dense you can go.

A 2 part compilation would have about a 50% attrition, which, while Balloon Party had somewhere in the region of 75-80% attrition, being cut into, "this half made it, this half didn't," may strike an even bigger blow.

A 1 part album would obviously have the most attrition at ~75%, but the blow isn't as bad to those who don't cut it, because they know the majority didn't.

People weren't angry over Balloon Party having such a high attrition. People were angry because they saw the big names all over it. Which is to be expected (their name got big for a reason), however the thing that really irked a few (myself included) people, was knowing that some artists got 3-4 tracks on the album, while others that were close to the chopping block were cut in favor of the same artist having a second track.

In the end, I think a 1 album compilation of the best tracks would be the best route, however if we want to avoid the same drama, I'd recommend:

1. Use the same judging concept as BP (anonymous, nobody knows who the artist is, etc.)
2. Tally up the 50 leading songs in the vote.
3. Go through the 50 leading songs to ensure artists aren't getting more than 1 entry.
*Regarding collabs: If a collab features an artist that has a song in the top 50, a vote shall be commenced to determine whether the collab will be featured, or the artist's own submission, aka: none of this, "Track 1: Blah - DizGood, Track 2: DizGood (Alfa Remix), Track 3: Blah and Alfa - We're Awesome."*
4. After scrubbing the top 50, if slots open up due to #3 above, then the next runner ups shall take those spots.
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby Thirteen » 04 Sep 2012 20:58

NavyBrony wrote:In the end, I think a 1 album compilation of the best tracks would be the best route, however if we want to avoid the same drama, I'd recommend:

1. Use the same judging concept as BP (anonymous, nobody knows who the artist is, etc.)
3. Go through the 50 leading songs to ensure artists aren't getting more than 1 entry.
*Regarding collabs: If a collab features an artist that has a song in the top 50, a vote shall be commenced to determine whether the collab will be featured, or the artist's own submission, aka: none of this, "Track 1: Blah - DizGood, Track 2: DizGood (Alfa Remix), Track 3: Blah and Alfa - We're Awesome."*
4. After scrubbing the top 50, if slots open up due to #3 above, then the next runner ups shall take those spots.

Hmmm. This seems like the best route of action to take. Can't please em all, but hey, what else can ya do, right?

BTW, when is this album to be compiled anyway? After the 9nth when all the sync's are over?
Thirteen

Postby FLAOFEI » 05 Sep 2012 11:35

Lol, I read the chat on my song, and boy, that made me happy! My music giveing people homocidal thoughts? Wouldnt have believed you if you told me that a year ago :D

Fyi, it is a serious entery, not a troll entery.
But yeah... I did have quite the amount of bg-noise in there (but oh how sweet it was :mrgreen: ).
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby sci » 05 Sep 2012 13:16

NavyBrony wrote:words,

ok
zoom.
enhance.
NavyBrony wrote:1. Use the same judging concept as BP (anonymous, nobody knows who the artist is, etc.)

I am not sure that this is possible.

besides that I think it may be a good idea (though it kinda sucks that the majority of entrants won't make it....)

I'd kind of like to do a "highlights from RW5" thing, showcasing the tracks that got huge reactions and such...but that's just a half thought at the moment. (I'd likely include unfriendly tracks like Cii's (very super awesome) remix)
sci

Postby StevenAD » 05 Sep 2012 14:15

Warbalist wrote:We need to get the newbie musicians in here to ask for help, too.

This is kind of what ruined RW5 for me, because I spent three weeks trying to get help and almost everyone ignored me. You can't tell newbie musicians to ask for help when no one feels like helping. Jesus.
RIP Kiki Havivy. You will be missed...
StevenAD

Postby Navron » 05 Sep 2012 15:12

How are you asking for help? If you were posting in this thread that you needed help, it likely got lost among all the questions about the RW.

If you posted a WiP in the music section, you've gotta keep bumping it asking for help, because lots of people are making songs and it only takes 1-2 days for your post to move to page 2.

I haven't seen many help topics getting ignored in the technique section, so if you know what you need to work on, ask your questions in that section (do a search first to see if it's already been answered).

If all else fails, PM somebody. If you notice somebody is really good at something you struggle with, ask them for help personally. As an example, I PM'd 4thImpulse awhile back because I was struggling with the mixing of a complicated song, and knowing he's very good at EQ, I figured he would be the best to ask, and I learned a whole lot more to mixing in addition to some pointers on how to fix up my song.

I would have helped you had I known you were asking for help, and I'm sure many others would have too.
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby StevenAD » 05 Sep 2012 15:21

NavyBrony wrote:How are you asking for help? If you were posting in this thread that you needed help, it likely got lost among all the questions about the RW.

If you posted a WiP in the music section, you've gotta keep bumping it asking for help, because lots of people are making songs and it only takes 1-2 days for your post to move to page 2.

I haven't seen many help topics getting ignored in the technique section, so if you know what you need to work on, ask your questions in that section (do a search first to see if it's already been answered).

If all else fails, PM somebody. If you notice somebody is really good at something you struggle with, ask them for help personally. As an example, I PM'd 4thImpulse awhile back because I was struggling with the mixing of a complicated song, and knowing he's very good at EQ, I figured he would be the best to ask, and I learned a whole lot more to mixing in addition to some pointers on how to fix up my song.

I would have helped you had I known you were asking for help, and I'm sure many others would have too.

Well, I suppose it's entirely possible that I was going about things the wrong way. I just don't like randomly pm'ing people.
RIP Kiki Havivy. You will be missed...
StevenAD

Postby Freewave » 05 Sep 2012 18:10

sci wrote:
NavyBrony wrote:words,

ok
zoom.
enhance.
NavyBrony wrote:1. Use the same judging concept as BP (anonymous, nobody knows who the artist is, etc.)

I am not sure that this is possible.

besides that I think it may be a good idea (though it kinda sucks that the majority of entrants won't make it....)

I'd kind of like to do a "highlights from RW5" thing, showcasing the tracks that got huge reactions and such...but that's just a half thought at the moment. (I'd likely include unfriendly tracks like Cii's (very super awesome) remix)

sci any chance of letting people vote for their favorites via one of those toast beard voting pages? i know you'd need to have like 10 to 20 or selections (and 200 song selections to choose from) but people could use the same voting method with their artist name and email and all that jazz. It allows anyone who was involved in (you got a track in, you get a vote) RW5 to submit who they liked the most, have a VOICE, and if you have a system already to go to tabulate votes and automatically figure out a top 50 as fair a system as possible. I'd personally like this as in the pre-RW5 talks time and time again we talked about how we weren't going to replicate a Balloon Party system and how a secret panel on who gets in. Let's learn from that and make something that's fair and democratic. What's wrong with a democracy?

I agree one song per artist even if you had a collab and a remix.

If a Toast Beard automated system can't handle this then let's have a voting thread on MLR. Minimum of 10, max of 20 votes (or something like that) and people post one list in there, follow the same formatting in their post (artist-song), can edit their posts up to a final date, and I will collect all the votes and get results. It's rather easy to do in excel and I've done these time and time again in other communities (and those were with point systems with ranks which is trickier and wouldn't be used this time around). Some prior projects I've collected votes for: one, one, two, three, four, five, six. I would just want to compile the results on a friday or saturday when i have some free time at work vs any other days :)
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby sci » 05 Sep 2012 23:46

Freewave wrote:sci any chance of letting people vote for their favorites via one of those toast beard voting pages? i know you'd need to have like 10 to 20 or selections (and 200 song selections to choose from) but people could use the same voting method with their artist name and email and all that jazz.
I uh...actually, yes.
With a few slight modifications, this would be very easy to automate, even.

using the patented Toastbeard Vote Slot Calculation Curve (TBVSCC), the page would have 28 votes slots.

I think the main problem here is this: it's way easy to rig votes. and it's happened before.

maybe require your name to be entered, and then sort all the votes by whether or not they're registered for the RW5 event (or on the forum even?)?
sci

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 06 Sep 2012 07:32

sci wrote:
Freewave wrote:it's way easy to rig votes. and it's happened before.

Hahahaha StormWolf is naughty x3
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Freewave » 06 Sep 2012 08:08

Yeah if that would work and we would require their username and match them up with contributing to RW5 and against duplication i think it could work. Just to verify this would be to assemble a "best of" user friendly for the music community to enjoy in a bandcamp compilation download? Just trying to verify the logic.
Freewave

Postby Fimbulin » 06 Sep 2012 09:54

Freewave wrote:Yeah if that would work and we would require their username and match them up with contributing to RW5 and against duplication i think it could work. Just to verify this would be to assemble a "best of" user friendly for the music community to enjoy in a bandcamp compilation download? Just trying to verify the logic.

I, for one, would be looking forward to a bandcamp download of the tracks that were very good!
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby Freewave » 06 Sep 2012 12:43

I think I would too as I know if you post a 200 track download for people that has to be daunting as hell. Plus it's nice to have something that ultimately looks like recognition from your peers and wants to highlight the best afterwards after everyone has given them all (or a chunk of) a listen.
Freewave

Postby Stars In Autumn » 06 Sep 2012 23:03

We could do a best of album, sure. I'm hesitant to organize something for Bandcamp, however, since the goal of the Remix War isn't revenue generation. It's just a fun event meant for people to meet each other and get to know each other more, since it's hard to get others to listen to your music. Makkon would need to comment on this, however.

In other, related news, we have a torrent of everyone's entries with the exception of a few whose entries didn't have a valid download link and did not respond after a few days. You can get the torrent here.

I'll update the OP and the sync listen, so for this weekend's sync listens that get posted to EqD, the torrent will be there.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby sci » 06 Sep 2012 23:45

Stars In Autumn wrote:I'm hesitant to organize something for Bandcamp, however, since the goal of the Remix War isn't revenue generation.

well you can bypass the revenue part by disabling downloads, and just posting mediafire links to each ZIP file for each format.

so there's that.

I'd like to hear makkon's thoughts on all of this..
sci

Postby Freewave » 07 Sep 2012 10:08

Agreed sci. We could link zips on mediafire once free downloads inevitably run out. I wouldn't want this to be another fund / revenue raiser either.
Freewave

PreviousNext

Return to Remix War