Remix War V discussion thread

Remix War V discussion thread

Postby Makkon » 13 Jul 2012 17:55

We need to do this soon. We're doing this for all of you, so we want it to be the most convenient and accessible to you that it can be.

Please discuss:

-Start-date and Due-date
-Stream-party(ies) date
-What sort of quality control we will have (probably technical, such as mixing and EQ, not so much composition)
-Possible questions and concerns

It's already been decided that only 1 entry per participant will be accepted, and the purpose will be to remix the song of another musician in the community (encompassing more than just MLR).

We already know this is going to be an utterly insane, massively compound cluster-cuss, so we need to keep it simple if we can. Please try to keep your posts short.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Re: Remix War V discussion thread

Postby LFP » 13 Jul 2012 18:28

First, this gunna be awesome (and crowded).
short enough?
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby MYCUTIEMARKISAGUN » 13 Jul 2012 18:31

LFP wrote:First!

*smacks you*

Please keep all posts relevant to the topic.

Start Date should be......soon?

I have possible questions and concerns about the 14 day sync listen this thing is gonna cause.

There, I am officially boring and following rules now.
onlybuilt4ponylinx.tumblr.com

SADFKLJASFJ;KLFDSAJKL;VJKL;FDSJKLIJKL;'WOIJ[RWIJR
MYCUTIEMARKISAGUN

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: A GUN, obviously

Postby Singularity » 13 Jul 2012 18:34

What will the different types of entry can we enter? Is is just a remix, or style swap and such?

Also can we make the due date later rather than sooner; the chill album, and other collabrative albums are comming up soon, and so just to make it more managable to those whom can't music :3
Information:
DAW> Propellerhead Reason 6.5 (If you need to know what Re I have, then message me, somewhere.)
Extra> Cubase Le4, NI Reaktor 5 Player, NI FM8 Demo

Links:
Soundcloud, Youtube, Tumblr
Singularity

Postby Freewave » 13 Jul 2012 18:37

Well it's a summer event so going through summer and ending before most people go back to school (September?) would be logical. After all remixes by nature do take less time to make too. I guess the biggest issue is what the final output will be. The previous Remix Wars were about releasing all the entries when there weren't many participants vs whittling it down to an appealing package like Balloon Party did. So is this going to be one big mass download that appeals to the artists or one that's a tighter constrained release that's intended for bandcamp and the end audience as that decides in what form it will look like and how you're going to "judge"

There's a load of discussion that was done in the first thread for this topic, and there was a lot of discussion on how people don't want to see this as a contest were people are judging each other and throwing out the hard work of people who who don't make it. I'd have to agree with that sentiment (while the Balloon Afterparty was at least a means to repairing fences).

So why not get people to work their hardest on ONE entry, have a week with sync listens (or 4 or 5 days) of listening parties for the whole community toast beard style and people can REALLY check out each other's music in a fun atmosphere. I'll leave it up to the group if they'd want to really make it Toast Beard style and use the same pages/formatting that sci does, whether they'd want to vote perhaps for a best of bandcamp release via their same point system or go for a several albums worth of mass downloads via a torrent w/o the same quality control and let the listeners sift through it, or just let people check out the individual tracks that are embedded and check out and download what they LIKE from those synclistens (the best way of seeing people download or subscribe directly to you). I think tracks should be heard by people is the most important thing.

I'm just tired of the secret panels deciding who "wins" and who "loses". I think we've seen too many of those in this community and Remix Wars can't be a continuation of that approach, it has to be more open then that. :(
Last edited by Freewave on 14 Jul 2012 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Camsy » 13 Jul 2012 18:53

Personally I don't think this should start till beginning of next year. There's already too much stuff going on at the moment. The alternate is have it so that the comp starts now and goes for a very long time before closing. :P

As for this:
DJ Pon-3 wrote:I'm just tired of the secret panels deciding who "wins" and who "loses". I think we've seen to many of those in this community and Remix Wars can't be a continuation of that approach, it has to be more open then that. :(

Totally agree, have it so that once the submission deadline is over, put all the songs up to be listened to and voted upon by the community.
Support me on Youtube and Facebook.
Camsy

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Jack-of-all-trades

Postby MYCUTIEMARKISAGUN » 13 Jul 2012 20:37

C∆m§¥ wrote:Personally I don't think this should start till beginning of next year. There's already too much stuff going on at the moment.

We're big boys! We can handle it!

Making Moar Music >>>>>>>>>> Making Less Music

MYCUTIEMARKISAGUN

Postby vladnuke » 13 Jul 2012 22:45

Great, hopefully everyone else and I will get started right away.
vladnuke

Postby colortwelve » 13 Jul 2012 22:54

I remember how much of a pain it was sifting through the first 4 RWs to end up with the whole 11 tracks I now have on my phone. However, that was before I had started making my own stuff, and before I realized how big of an issue quality control can be.

Really, it just comes down to whether we want to present a nice package, or preserve the feelings of as many people as possible. While enacting a BP-esque quality control system probably ensures that whatever I submitted would never see the light of Bandcamp, we do want to present a nice, coherent package to present to the public (i.e. Equestria Daily) with no tracks that listeners will always skip over.

To that end, I'd say that maybe a little quality control beyond the technical specs of EQing and compression wouldn't hurt. I think that if we ended up with a 40-60-track album for Bandcamp, and posted it along with perhaps a torrent of every entry for those interested, the end result of RW5 would be the best option.

Now, as for the other stuff, I think that we should get this started as soon as possible, but leave it with enough time for everyone to muster up a good track, so maybe begin the week of July 16, and have submissions due at the end of August, leaving up to a week of sync-listening at the beginning of September, and roughly a week thereafter to have entries compiled into the Bandcamp album based upon their reactions in the sync-listens. This would put the results out at just around the time that the last round came out, just in time to help celebrate the new season premiere (assuming it airs at a similar date this time around).
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 14 Jul 2012 00:16

colortwelve wrote:While enacting a BP-esque quality control system probably ensures that whatever I submitted would never see the light of Bandcamp

The end results of the Remix War probably won't go up on Bandcamp...they never have before. Bandcamp implies trying to sell it to me. The Remix Wars were all about making music, fun and friends. That shouldn't change.

That being said, I wasn't really planning on joining, due to whenever I want to remix something, I just do it.

Before Season 3 starts would be a good idea though :P
And on a serious note, doing it whilst people have breaks from school/college would be a good idea too.
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Versilaryan » 14 Jul 2012 01:43

I'm all for quality control, but only if it's done with the same philosophy as before. Weed out the ear rape and the horribly offensive before it hits EQD. It should be about having fun and making music, not showcasing the best of the best like in BP's case.

The one question I have, though, is for the one entry per person rule, does that include collabs?
Versilaryan

Postby Stars In Autumn » 14 Jul 2012 02:48

Probably a month to make. Fairly high standards in terms of mixing. And in terms of streaming... We will HAVE to split this over several days. Randomizing the playlist of songs to be streamed on individual days would ensure a fair play through all of them.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Anorax » 14 Jul 2012 11:59

Will there be a official YouTube playlist of RW videos when this is all said and done with?
DAW: Mixcraft 6
3rd Party VSTs: Alien 303 Bass Synthesizer, Various Angular Momentum Products, Artemis, Combo Organ Models V+F, Daedalus, iloSynth1, Impuse, Messiah, MinimogueVA, oxytocin, P8, various Togu Audio Line products, Synth1, TS-Substance, VB3 Organ
Youtube
Soundcloud
Anorax

Postby MYCUTIEMARKISAGUN » 14 Jul 2012 12:49

colortwelve wrote:I remember how much of a pain it was sifting through the first 4 RWs to end up with the whole 11 tracks I now have on my phone.

That's how most listeners treated Balloon Party tho. It can't be helped.

MYCUTIEMARKISAGUN

Postby X-Trav » 14 Jul 2012 15:02

As Always, i'm going to oppose quality control other than the obvious ear-rape.

Every Time we have a judging panel it leaves a lot out and a lot of people get pissed. I said it for Balloon Party and i'll say it again; We are a community, not a competitive group. Everyone is already fickle enough with the subject of popularity, celebrating subscriber "gets" and scolding others for wanting more attention, judging panels just creates a larger rift. The new guys feel left out and the big wigs almost always get in like some sort of musical Oligarchy.

I propose we do it the same as always, a boat load of songs, a loooooooooong sync listen, musical exhaustion, and the glorious remix war blow-out where the forum looks like it died.
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Icky » 14 Jul 2012 15:04

Makkon are you really sure something like Remix War would work with the current size of the music community? Remix War 3 and 4 were already multiple hours long and the community has grown a lot since then.
Icky

Postby bartekko » 14 Jul 2012 15:44

Icky wrote:Makkon are you really sure something like Remix War would work with the current size of the music community? Remix War 3 and 4 were already multiple hours long and the community has grown a lot since then.

We will see. Many people have left the community since RWIV. They may come back for RWV, but probably not all. I'll miss Andy Feelin and Lenich
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Freewave » 14 Jul 2012 16:27

bartekko wrote:
Icky wrote:Makkon are you really sure something like Remix War would work with the current size of the music community? Remix War 3 and 4 were already multiple hours long and the community has grown a lot since then.

We will see. Many people have left the community since RWIV. They may come back for RWV, but probably not all. I'll miss Andy Feelin and Lenich

Let's face it that 80% of the people participating could have never been around during the original RW's.

X-Trav wrote:I propose we do it the same as always, a boat load of songs, a loooooooooong sync listen, musical exhaustion, and the glorious remix war blow-out where the forum looks like it died.

Sounds like the fairest method and the best way of keeping with tradition. Again this could be basically like a week long Toast Beard party with 3 hrs each night until we're done. Might even drum up how fun Toast Beard is as syn clisten as it's been losing momentum in the last couple months with all the new faces. If Sci can create multiple pages for remix war (if he wants to and you want to go that route) the format would fit well i would think.

Again 7 days x 3 hours x 12 songs an hour = 252 capacity for example IF it we needed to. That might seem insane but that's possible in a crazy massive way. That's not too far above what the submission were for Balloon Party and After Party combined I would think.....
Freewave

Postby Facade » 14 Jul 2012 16:35

DJ Pon-3 wrote:Again 7 days x 3 hours x 12 songs an hour = 252 capacity for example IF it we needed to. That might seem insane but that's possible in a crazy massive way. That's not too far above what the submission were for Balloon Party and After Party combined I would think.....

if we did one submission per a person that could work but i dont know if everyones gonna be up for a week long sync listen
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Freewave » 14 Jul 2012 17:29

Facade wrote:
DJ Pon-3 wrote:Again 7 days x 3 hours x 12 songs an hour = 252 capacity for example IF it we needed to. That might seem insane but that's possible in a crazy massive way. That's not too far above what the submission were for Balloon Party and After Party combined I would think.....

if we did one submission per a person that could work but i dont know if everyones gonna be up for a week long sync listen

Well just like toast beard not everyone is going to make the sync casts (and people can view them at different times if they are international) but i think the combination of one week of celebrations with people being very conscious of this event combined with everyone who entered on that given's sync cast making an effort to tune in, we will see see double what you'd see in a normal toast beard every day in IRC which is still nothing to scoff at. Maybe even get a brony radio station to actually broadcast these every evening if they wanted in. That would be easier than everyone pressing play unison if we choose not to go that route. We could even have batches of songs in soundcloud groups for all the submitted tracks and just press play at 7pm on the first track and let it go from track to track in unison w/o doing the queue/start/next track as it automatically plays the next track in sequence until you are done AND you can favorite, download, and give feedback directly to the artist there. Again people just need to decide the most realistic way to do this and who can host this (sci, soundcloud, or a brony radio station) as that can decide how people submit and how we hear them and give feedback. Ultimately seeing the coments in irc of the sync cast is the best feedback of all and it's the most fun way to listen, as a happy chat group > downloading it and listening by yourself. That I love most about Toast Beard and it would hold up still in any of those 3 hosting scenarios.
Freewave

Postby sci » 14 Jul 2012 18:32

ok just chiming in on this:
DJ Pon-3 wrote:If Sci can create multiple pages for remix war (if he wants to and you want to go that route) the format would fit well i would think.

I can create a (few) page(s) for the Remix War, sure.
but.
my concern here is this:
1. with TB, we manually queue/play each track.
2. the remix war is huge
3. the pause between trackend/queue/playnext will accumulate.
4. I don't think this will be negligible. not at this scale.

this is why I'm more in favor of synctube (though that has the disadvantage of being a terrible chat. I can confirm that some messages were dropped in the internet-aether.)

A radio/stream would work as well, but would likely be lower quality. (this is for the musicians. we want to see large rates next to our bits.)
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby VINXIS » 19 Jul 2012 09:26

Remix War should have some quality control to see if one or the other did pretty well in making music in the other's style.
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Postby DJFoxytail » 23 Aug 2012 10:29

sci wrote:this is why I'm more in favor of synctube (though that has the disadvantage of being a terrible chat. I can confirm that some messages were dropped in the internet-aether.)

A radio/stream would work as well, but would likely be lower quality. (this is for the musicians. we want to see large rates next to our bits.)

I hope I'm not stepping out of place by suggesting this, but I know the EPR guys would be happy to let you guys use the radio. We have livestream as well as shoutcast and I can 99% guarantee we'll have everything uploaded within 3 days tops (depending on number of entries). An issue with this would be synchronizing the shoutcast and livestream to play the same thing at the same time. If you want a private chat just for the entrants to talk amongst themselves then I think we can create a dedicated page for it, but it will be part of everypony.com (if that's an issue).

Just throwing it out there in case it helps.
Administrator at Everypony Radio where music and its fans are 20% cooler.
DJFoxytail

Postby Mundius » 23 Aug 2012 10:43

1. [REDACTED]
2. I think the sync's going to be a few days long because of the horrible timing.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Freewave » 23 Aug 2012 11:05

Please don't reply in a month old thread if all the questions and concerns can be voiced here. thanks.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4181
Freewave

Next

Return to Remix War