Music Theory

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

Re: Music Theory

Postby Anforium » 31 Jul 2012 15:30

Captain Ironhelm wrote:I look at theory as a guide-line, not a rule.

This. If it sounds good but isn't in line with traditional theory, who cares? Music shouldn't be a puzzle E.G. "If this goes here, then this HAS to go here". I personally think that most pieces I've heard that follow strictly by theory and are complex just for the sake of being complex sound like crap.
Youtube
Bandcamp
Twitter

Software: I'm original, so i use Sunvox. I used to use LMMS, but the crashing drove me insane.
Anforium

Postby Joaftheloaf » 31 Jul 2012 15:34

I still don't know how to read notes very well... need to get on that. Everything I know about music theory came from random places, but I learned most of the basics when I took piano lessons when I was 6, I learned a little more from guitar pro with learning rests, and choir helped me figure out a note on a staff. Every good boy does fine, I say that every time I'm trying to identify a note... haha I know its sad...
DAW: FL Studio 10
Instruments: Guitar, Piano/Keyboard, Bass, Drums
Youtube:http://www.youtube.com/user/Joaftheloaf?feature=mhee
http://soundcloud.com/joaftheloaf/when-home-calls
Joaftheloaf

Postby WavesOfParadox » 31 Jul 2012 17:13

Theory should be figuring out WHY something sounds the way it does, and then using that in whatever way you see fit. There are aspects of theory that should be looked at as rules, but it's your decision how to both comply and break aspects of those rules.
YouTube
SoundCloud

Haiti Charity Album
Haiti Charity Album

"A good composer does not imitate; he steals."
-Igor Stravinsky
WavesOfParadox

Postby Anforium » 31 Jul 2012 17:21

WavesOfParadox wrote:Theory should be figuring out WHY something sounds the way it does, and then using that in whatever way you see fit. There are aspects of theory that should be looked at as rules, but it's your decision how to both comply and break aspects of those rules.

There are no rules in music. Simple as that.
Youtube
Bandcamp
Twitter

Software: I'm original, so i use Sunvox. I used to use LMMS, but the crashing drove me insane.
Anforium

Postby Anforium » 31 Jul 2012 17:33

Kyoga wrote:the people who are serious about music will put in the time to learn music theory.
The lazy ones will not.
Simple as that.

I never said I didn't learn music theory. I just said I don't view it as a rule. It is definetely something that anmusician should at least have basic knowledge of.
Youtube
Bandcamp
Twitter

Anforium

Postby WavesOfParadox » 31 Jul 2012 18:12

Anforium wrote:
WavesOfParadox wrote:Theory should be figuring out WHY something sounds the way it does, and then using that in whatever way you see fit. There are aspects of theory that should be looked at as rules, but it's your decision how to both comply and break aspects of those rules.

Actually, there have come to be rules (e.g. avoid the tritone), but there are no rules about having to follow those rules.

(The word "rule" is starting to lose its meaning now)
YouTube
SoundCloud

Haiti Charity Album
Haiti Charity Album

-Igor Stravinsky
WavesOfParadox

Postby Anforium » 31 Jul 2012 19:08

WavesOfParadox wrote:
Anforium wrote:

Actually, there have come to be rules (e.g. avoid the tritone), but there are no rules about having to follow those rules.

(The word "rule" is starting to lose its meaning now)

Wait , you're supposed to avoid the tritone? I used it in my Mare of Darkness track.
Youtube
Bandcamp
Twitter

Anforium

Postby TranquilHooves » 31 Jul 2012 19:54

meh, just invert and everything will be okay >:D
(Original, witty signature here.)
Also, http://soundcloud.com/tranquil-hooves/complete-sunrise-in-equestria

If anyone can figure out what genre this is, please tell me, cause I have no clue. :D
TranquilHooves

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sick Skrill Wubs™

Postby Sonarch » 01 Aug 2012 00:45

Not sure if this is the right thread for theory questions, but what the hay.
I have a very (and I mean very) basic understanding of theory. I've only got one year of high school guitar, and i'm sure i'll learn more in time, but I don't quite understand a few things.
First, how exactly do you come up with a good chord progression? And how does a chord progression dictate your melody? I don't understand the link between them. Does a melody go good with a chord progression because it only uses the notes that are in the chords from your progression? I don't quite get it, and a lot of the sites I go to to read up on it either assume you have a lot of knowledge already, or they refer you to a bunch of different pages!
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Kopachris » 01 Aug 2012 01:53

Well, duh. No serious composer is going to learn theory and apply it as a strict rule. The only time you ever need strict theory is for analysis, not composition. However, learning strict theory and applying it to analysis is extremely helpful for composition, since you can see what has been done and why.
Kopachris

Postby Spark » 01 Aug 2012 03:18

Kyoga wrote:Complicated stuff

Yeah, I'm gonna read now.

TO WIKIPEDIA!
Spark

Postby Kopachris » 01 Aug 2012 04:02

Spark wrote:
Kyoga wrote:Complicated stuff

Yeah, I'm gonna read now.

TO WIKIPEDIA!

I'd suggest William Caplin's Classical Form once you're through with Wikipedia.
Kopachris

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 01 Aug 2012 08:08

WavesOfParadox wrote:(e.g. avoid the tritone)

WHAT?

WHAT???

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT??????????

Anyway...of course there are rules to music. If there weren't, music would simply not be. However, you don't have to follow the rules we've established for our particular brand of music. I certainly don't!

*edit*

Kyoga wrote:be sure to stay within scale

For basic progressions yes, but some fantastic progressions go outside the scale. For example, neopolitan chords, or chords on the tritone of the tonic (Cmajor, F#major, etc). They work very well when used effectively.
But for typical progressions, go for within the scale...:P
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby WavesOfParadox » 01 Aug 2012 08:30

Yes, I'm definitely one to learn the rules just to break them or at least modify them.
YouTube
SoundCloud

Haiti Charity Album
Haiti Charity Album

-Igor Stravinsky
WavesOfParadox

Postby Sonarch » 01 Aug 2012 12:49

Kyoga wrote:If this is too much to consume, I advise reading. A lot.

Not too much. But I may as well go and read up on it. Can you suggest any good websites or books?
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Magnitude Zero » 01 Aug 2012 16:57

This site is a pretty good starting point.

I've been playing trombone for... eight? years now. I know the basics about scales, keys, time signatures, chords, and reading bass clef. I've yet to take the time to really get to know any other clef, or really any theory that goes beyond what I need to know to play in my school's concert band. I put myself down for a music theory class this year, so in a month or so I'll get to know it a bit more which should, in theory (ha!), help out with my music. I'm really looking forward to that. :D
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Sonarch » 01 Aug 2012 18:34

Okay, so say I have a simple I-IV-V chord progression with D, G, and A. If I want to write a good melody to go with that, what scale(s) do I have to work with?
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 01 Aug 2012 19:09

Sonarch wrote:Okay, so say I have a simple I-IV-V chord progression with D, G, and A. If I want to write a good melody to go with that, what scale(s) do I have to work with?

Well, if that's I-IV-V then use a DMajor or minor scale! That's the obvious one!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Sonarch » 01 Aug 2012 19:32

So, the chords are major, but how does that work with a minor scale? What kind of feel does that create?

I'm sorry about such simple questions, i'm pretty new to the music theory stuff.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby WavesOfParadox » 01 Aug 2012 19:36

Sonarch wrote:So, the chords are major, but how does that work with a minor scale? What kind of feel does that create?

I'm sorry about such simple questions, i'm pretty new to the music theory stuff.

Well, my tip to you is to try it yourself. This is very easy to do in this case.
YouTube
SoundCloud

Haiti Charity Album
Haiti Charity Album

-Igor Stravinsky
WavesOfParadox

Postby Sonarch » 01 Aug 2012 20:10

Okay, which minor is it that is referred to as just "minor"? I have some notes on the patterns for the major and minor scales, but there are natural, harmonic, and melodic minors. Is it the harmonic minor?
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby WavesOfParadox » 01 Aug 2012 20:20

Natural
YouTube
SoundCloud

Haiti Charity Album
Haiti Charity Album

-Igor Stravinsky
WavesOfParadox

Postby Sonarch » 01 Aug 2012 20:23

Thanks!
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby VINXIS » 01 Aug 2012 21:14

o shit, all I know are what notes and rests are, and scales lol. I can read music and T.S. but that's it. I only know the basic shizzlez
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Postby psychoacoustic » 02 Aug 2012 10:55

I've never had much in the way of formal training, so, while I have picked some of the basics, my knowledge of music theory has some holes in it. I first got into music as a percussionist, so most of what I know about theory involves rhythm. I did learn a little about scales, but almost everything else I know about melody and such was self-taught.
psychoacoustic

PreviousNext

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice