Don't Be Afraid to Make Your Music More <Pony>!

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: Don't Be Afraid to Make Your Music More <Pony>!

Postby @ppleBukker » 01 Jun 2012 14:07

DJ PON3 has an unbeatable point. I have noticed EXACTLY the same thing. It does seem like a lot of the newer brony musicians have been doing PINO work. To be completely honest, I feel myself slipping down the same road. I'm glad I caught this thread. PON3 addressed a lot of my concerns. I've had the same thoughts buzzing and brewing inside my head for some time. Honestly, I've started wondering why am I still producing?

Then, I had a long talk with myself. For a while, it seemed like maybe fame was what drove me. I saw the success of Alex S, Omnipony, Circuitfry, et al and I liked what they had. However, I caught myself. This isn't about fame. Fame is shallow. This is about ponies.

Finally, I recalled why I started producing and joined the forums. It was around this time last year. That was when I saw MLP:FiM for the first time. To make a long story short, I was having to deal with a member of the family suffer with cancer. Ponies helped me through this difficult time. It was something I really needed to keep my sanity. Eventually, I found Everypony Radio and experienced the awesome music of brony musicians. "Wow," I thought, "that was made by everyday musicians?" So, it inspired me to try to produce pony music.

the4thImpulse wrote:
legion2190 wrote:I see where you're going with this and agree, but I have a problem with the whole Pony-in-name-only thing. Saying that the only way to link music to the show is through samples or lyrics (that's the vibe I'm getting from your post, at least) is seriously limiting.

Basically, I'm just worried that this kind of talk is going to turn things into a 'how much pony can I force into this song?' contest, which frankly, is a lot worse than where we currently are.

I dont really get that vibe too much, that a pony needs pony samples, I think he means we have to be more carefull with what we call a truely <pony> track. If you were to create an insturmental track, show it to a brony without giving them a discription, picture, or track name and have them understand its a pony track. Thats why we have those tools so we can tell people what inspired us and what the track is about. If you create an insturmental track, state what inspired you and the liteners understand and feel those same feelings as they listen then I would say its a true pony track. Otherwise it may be pony inspired but if people don't get that same feeling (pony related feeling) then its not a true pony track.

Again, I agree completely with this argument. When I first started, the only tracker I had was FamiTracker II. So, I spent a good week making "Gummy's Rave". I poured every bit of the happiness and pony influence I felt into that track. It was something I was proud of and had to at least try and contribute to the brony community.

So, in conclusion, I agree with DJ PON3. There needs to be more pony influence, samples, and what have you. Today, I'm gonna start making my stuff non-PINO. Thanks, everypony.
DAWs: Ableton Live Intro 8, Madtracker II, FamiTracker II,FL Studio 12.5
Preferred Genres: Breakcore, DnB, Uplifting Trance, Punk/Grunge, Smooth Electronica
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/applebukker
Pony.fm: https://pony.fm/pplebukker
@ppleBukker

Primary: Ableton/FL Studio
Cutie Mark: 16th Note w/ Halo

Postby [voodoopony] » 03 Jun 2012 03:18

PINO music is where the money's at. It makes me puke to see all this pino and pony music being sold for money, and sort of irritates me knowing that I can easily be placed in the same category...

I've seen this activity going around since day one, though. I haven't kept up with all the new musicians but I can only imagine the blasphemy that's taking place right now. I've been tempted to give in and make a quick buck, maybe throw in some dubstep, set a price for each of my pino coladas I upload to bandcamp, but... wait, why haven't I? That's a magnificent idea. brb.
Last edited by [voodoopony] on 10 Jun 2012 05:01, edited 2 times in total.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 03 Jun 2012 03:32

[voodoopony] wrote:pino coladas

Have my babies for making this term.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 09 Jun 2012 15:01

Oh, don't worry. I didn't join this community to just learn how to make unrelated music. My music will be very pony.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Derpageddon » 09 Jun 2012 23:30

What really bugs me is when someone goes half pony. They get a sick beat going then, suddenly Pinkie Pie for 2 seconds and thats all that there is as far as pony content goes.

Does that make me a terrible person because I like the music coming from artists in the fandom lacking in pony (some of Archie's stuff) or very VERY subtle(20% Cooler) more than the actual pony stuff? This fandom has introduced me to some phenomenal artist and I almost get more excited when I see them upload something that isn't exactly pony.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy show inspired music, and remixes. And while I am still a fledgling producer I have full intention of making Pony music. But I almost enjoy the subtle pony or Pony artist making non-pony so I can share with my friends and be like "yo, you listened to ponies" without them knowing.
Derpageddon

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 10 Jun 2012 01:13

This again? Alright I'm gonna make a point here. I love how you are all accusing a lotof newer bronies of composing this PINO or pony name music or whatever. Go to my YouTube channel and listen to Making a Difference. Don't read the description. Do this now.

I'm assuming now you have. Is that PINO? I took inspiration from an episode and made that piece. I did not use pony samples, never have, and I doubt I will. I write melodies from inspiration, more things than I have released. A synth line inspired by how happy Derpy is, a piano line for Luna, even part of the orchestration in Arrivederci had deeper meaning and concept than I let on.

I ask of you guys to stop blindly calling everything that doesn't have a pony sample, doesn't have pony-related lyrics, a reference to one of the songs or a reference to a well known brony piece uninspired by pony.

I'm willing to bet most times you have called someone out on this you have been wrong. Inspiration goes deeper than samples, subtle vocals or familiar melodies. Music is a language which is both universal, and at the same time very personal.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Navron » 10 Jun 2012 02:41

Lavender_Harmony wrote:This again? Alright I'm gonna make a point here. I love how you are all accusing a lotof newer bronies of composing this PINO or pony name music or whatever. Go to my YouTube channel and listen to Making a Difference. Don't read the description. Do this now.

I'm assuming now you have. Is that PINO? I took inspiration from an episode and made that piece. I did not use pony samples, never have, and I doubt I will. I write melodies from inspiration, more things than I have released. A synth line inspired by how happy Derpy is, a piano line for Luna, even part of the orchestration in Arrivederci had deeper meaning and concept than I let on.

I ask of you guys to stop blindly calling everything that doesn't have a pony sample, doesn't have pony-related lyrics, a reference to one of the songs or a reference to a well known brony piece uninspired by pony.

I'm willing to bet most times you have called someone out on this you have been wrong. Inspiration goes deeper than samples, subtle vocals or familiar melodies. Music is a language which is both universal, and at the same time very personal.

Exactly!

Like, I'm still surprised my song, "The Equestral Plane," actually got featured on EqD, because it's very dark, doesn't have any samples, and no lyrics. The only way you can tell it's pony inspired, is by the story in the description, which, at that point a listener can actually follow the story through the music.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby bartekko » 10 Jun 2012 06:38

excuse me, but what is pino?
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 10 Jun 2012 07:03

bartekko wrote:excuse me, but what is pino?

Pony In Name Only, ie music that is supposedly not influenced by the show because the inspiration isn't blatantly obvious.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby bartekko » 10 Jun 2012 07:07

oh. thank you
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Freewave » 10 Jun 2012 08:28

Lavender_Harmony wrote:
bartekko wrote:excuse me, but what is pino?

Pony In Name Only, ie music that is supposedly not influenced by the show because the inspiration isn't visible at all (other than perhaps a name and a pony image).

Fixed that for you.

Lavender_Harmony wrote:This again? Alright I'm gonna make a point here. I love how you are all accusing a lot of newer bronies of composing this PINO or pony name music or whatever.

No one's accusing anyone, we're noticing a general trend where people are using less samples (or the same tired yay/louder samples often) and also not explaining how their track is pony influenced at all. Some newer people also aren't even realizing that when they call a track <pony> that it should have been influenced by the show during it's creation. Some people don't even know that we have 2 seasons of dialogue and acapellas w/o background music available to freely use (mostly newer bronies). Or that we have Toast Beard to help inspire us to come up with themes and concepts to expand what we can dream up involving the show. This thread has been open for 2 months and we've talked about this and explained things from our different pov's. I hope those that have read it have gained something from hearing other people's perspectives. I know I have.

Lavender_Harmony wrote:Go to my YouTube channel and listen to Making a Difference. Don't read the description. Do this now. I'm assuming now you have. Is that PINO? I took inspiration from an episode and made that piece. I did not use pony samples, never have, and I doubt I will. I write melodies from inspiration, more things than I have released. A synth line inspired by how happy Derpy is, a piano line for Luna, even part of the orchestration in Arrivederci had deeper meaning and concept than I let on.

Again I don't have to visit your track to get your point. You included a description on how your track is influenced by the show and described so. That all anyone has to do. When you do that you erase all elements of doubt that could be there and more importantly you are putting that into the music and communicating that to your audience. That is all I think anyone should be asking. I've seen some instrumentalists get offended by this conversation to and I'm not quite sure why. JefftheStrider, Makkon, NACP, and [voodoopony] have been doing an amazing job of instrumental music for a long time and they often explain where that influence is. Their music doesn't "suffer" because its not littered with samples, it doesn't need them. But if everyone abandons sampling the show (well) or explaining that influence in a simple description then it becomes a bit hollow and even non-existant. Let's just not fall into the trap.

As Makkon said

Makkon wrote:My invitation to everyone out there is to write what you want. Write music for the sake of music. Write it because you love it.
If it's pony related, make it clear in concept and feeling. If it's not pony, DON'T PRETEND THAT IT IS.

Lavender_Harmony wrote:I ask of you guys to stop blindly calling everything that doesn't have a pony sample, doesn't have pony-related lyrics, a reference to one of the songs or a reference to a well known brony piece uninspired by pony.

I don't think anyone has ever said that instrumental <pony> music is not pony music (except maybe some idiots on youtube) if so I would be well disapppointed if they did.

Lavender_Harmony wrote:I'm willing to bet most times you have called someone out on this you have been wrong. Inspiration goes deeper than samples, subtle vocals or familiar melodies. Music is a language which is both universal, and at the same time very personal.

YES

I'm not sure why this thread keep getting bumped (other than people just replying and giving their 2 cents) but as long as people READ what other's post and respect alternative ways of making music outside of their own, then I'm not sure why anyone would be offended by it. If anything I think we're reached more of a consensus on where we all agree. Just explain if there would be any doubt and so people GET why you made a piece of music so they can appreciate it even more.

Lavendar Harmony if you wanna talk via pm I'd like that. I certainly hope you don't find offense in what I post (here or on tumblr) because there's nothing intended. ;)
Last edited by Freewave on 10 Jun 2012 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Mundius » 10 Jun 2012 08:34

Seems that it's actually harder to call your music pony, because many times, it's hard to see a connection. Just putting that out there, and when they do call it pony, people (mostly on YT) jump that it's PINO rather than Pony.
Mundius

Postby Freewave » 10 Jun 2012 09:00

No one should accuse anyone of pino, they should simply say "how about a description, i can't hear it". But more importantly new artists should realize that making music about mlp IS a part of the music creation process of a <pony> track. That why this thread is in the technique section.

Ultimately people on youtube need to think before they post much more than people on MLR. I think people can agree we see a lot more thoughtless behavior on there then on MLR. I've seen all kinds of fail there that makes me embarassed at times. Love and tolerance and don't feed the parasprites.
Freewave

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 10 Jun 2012 11:16

I'm all for dropping the use of samples, personally. It's as cliche as using that f**king airhorn sample (Ironically Tombs latest track spams the living heck out of!it) and it becomes tiresome on the ears, especially when the voices haven't been EQd and literally add nothing to the piece.

A video with a totally blank description, yes, I can see why you might view that as non-pony, but it really should be a non issue. A brony musician =/= a musician who makes pony inspired music. A brony musician is just as it says: A musician, who is also a brony. A musician makes music, a brony like FiM, and it is up to them if the show influences them or not. I need say no more on it.

And Pon3, throw me a PM. i actually have been super opinionated as of late, mostly due to lots of people saying stupid stuff, not yourself in particular. If I've come across as mean spirited or arrogant, I apologise! This is a debate thats been active for far too long and folks just don't get the picture :/
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Freewave » 10 Jun 2012 12:13

I'll be honest I'm very pro-sample but yes I'm NOT terribly happy with unimaginative use of samples that I've seen lately. I mean people should avoid obvious ones and over-used ones or not do them at all. People are still using stuff from season 1 and not using what's available from season 2 and that's a shame.

Again if some idiots out there are using pino in a fascist way to persecute instrumental bronies then that just sickens me but I'm not arguing for that by any means and no one should follow such behavior.

I'll talk to you via pm (or skype if you want) soon and am glad there's no grudge (and there's none from me too). :) I too have been throwing my opinion in wherever i think it can make a difference so I'm sorry if I seem over critical or opinionated, there's just a lot of things changing in the community and i think we both see that.
Freewave

Postby LunchBagMusic » 10 Jun 2012 21:21

Lavender_Harmony wrote:This is a debate thats been active for far too long and folks just don't get the picture :/

THIS.
LunchBagMusic

Postby Lethaargic » 10 Jun 2012 22:38

P.I.N.O seriously?! an acronym just serves to help solidify a boundary of what is and is not "pony"
art is the quintessential embodiment of telepathy, it is how we show each other the inside of our minds

Previously Spacepsy

SoundCloud
Lethaargic

Postby Diss Order » 11 Jun 2012 01:04

Read the OP and ignored the rest of the thread (sorry but I cba xD).

I approve of this message. I'm not interested in listening to any pony fan music if it's not actually related to ponies. It makes the brony community as a whole lose interest in brony music too.

I'm not saying "Hurdurr your music should have pony samples"; there are other ways to make something related too. :)

Also, on a side note, this is genius and totally pony related:
http://soundcloud.com/keeponrockingbrony/celery

EDIT: ^That was a joke... just to make sure. xD
New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

https://soundcloud.com/djnnr/lemons-2nd-preview
Diss Order

Postby Diss Order » 11 Jun 2012 01:12

Lavender_Harmony wrote:I'm all for dropping the use of samples, personally. It's as cliche as using that f**king airhorn sample (Ironically Tombs latest track spams the living heck out of!it) and it becomes tiresome on the ears, especially when the voices haven't been EQd and literally add nothing to the piece.

A video with a totally blank description, yes, I can see why you might view that as non-pony, but it really should be a non issue. A brony musician =/= a musician who makes pony inspired music. A brony musician is just as it says: A musician, who is also a brony. A musician makes music, a brony like FiM, and it is up to them if the show influences them or not. I need say no more on it.

And Pon3, throw me a PM. i actually have been super opinionated as of late, mostly due to lots of people saying stupid stuff, not yourself in particular. If I've come across as mean spirited or arrogant, I apologise! This is a debate thats been active for far too long and folks just don't get the picture :/

The name Brony Music implies 'music for/by bronies'... Why would music be interesting for other bronies if it's not pony-related? Is it interesting solely because it was created by another brony? I'm not telling brony musicians to stop making non-pony tracks, I'm just saying brony musicians should stop pretending their tracks are pony-related (if they aren't) just to get that extra bit of exposure. :/

And ban use of samples? Emm... Sampling was, is, and will be a crucial part of the EDM scene. If applied properly, it's great. If applied poorly, it sucks. But that counts for pretty much everything, right? Why ban it because some people make poor use of it? That's like saying: Some people are being idiots about it, and it annoys me, so rather than looking away and ignoring it I'm just going to try to get people to not use samples at all, even the folks that do manage to use pony sounds/vocals properly... It's like watching a TV show you really hate; YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH IT!
New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

Diss Order

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 11 Jun 2012 02:10

Diss Order wrote:The name Brony Music implies 'music for/by bronies'... Why would music be interesting for other bronies if it's not pony-related? Is it interesting solely because it was created by another brony?

No, it's interesting because it sounds good, now everyone be quiet on the matter. I feel like you're all going in a loop and dragging the same conversation on. It's almost like you're beginning to argue with yourselves.

HERE'S AN IDEA:

What if we all made music instead of talking about other people making music and it somehow offending you.

If YOU YOURSELF are confident with YOUR OWN explanations then WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? People are always going to fake it to make it, no matter where you are. It's what YOU DO that counts, so go do it for fucks sake.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Diss Order » 11 Jun 2012 04:09

CaptainFluffatun wrote:
Diss Order wrote:The name Brony Music implies 'music for/by bronies'... Why would music be interesting for other bronies if it's not pony-related? Is it interesting solely because it was created by another brony?

No, it's interesting because it sounds good, now everyone be quiet on the matter. I feel like you're all going in a loop and dragging the same conversation on. It's almost like you're beginning to argue with yourselves.

HERE'S AN IDEA:

What if we all made music instead of talking about other people making music and it somehow offending you.

If YOU YOURSELF are confident with YOUR OWN explanations then WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? People are always going to fake it to make it, no matter where you are. It's what YOU DO that counts, so go do it for fucks sake.

This is a discussion forum about brony music, and we're discussing brony music. What exactly is your problem?

And well duh, ANY MUSIC IS INTERESTING WHEN IT SOUNDS GOOD. But when I'm looking for rock, I don't wanna end up finding techno. Same way bronies expect pony-related music when they look for brony music. It's no rocket science. >_<

Take a chillpill and make some music. Don't participate in discussions about music if you don't wanna talk about music, sounds like a good idea?

Diss Order

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 11 Jun 2012 04:33

^ I love how newguy rebounds back and forth between defending the issue and contending it.

*ollies the heck out of the thread because she's sick of it*
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Diss Order » 11 Jun 2012 04:44

Wait what, me or him?

Diss Order

Postby Navron » 11 Jun 2012 05:53

Pretty sure Lavender can't really say either of you are newguys.

Now, on a more serious note.

All I've seen so far in this thread is virtually everybody on the same page, yet arguing because they're assuming something about the other side.

The arguers for <pony>: Assumes the other side wants to release whatever they feel like to the fandom, regardless of whether or not it's pony inspired.
- Main Argument: Clear up any misunderstandings w/ description, samples, or lyrics.

The arguers for <non-pony>: Assumes the other side wants them to put samples in their songs.
- Main Argument: They don't want to be limited on creativity.

What both sides aren't getting:
- That there is a difference between PINO, and non-pony music.
- That both sides agree that samples and/or lyrics don't have to be used.
- That pretty much everybody is on the same page, with some minor differences.

This topic: Is like watching 2 people argue over how much peanut butter to spread on a sandwich while they both end up spreading the same amount.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Mundius » 11 Jun 2012 06:22

NavyBrony wrote:This topic: Is like watching 2 people argue over how much peanut butter to spread on a sandwich while they both end up spreading the same amount.

That's pretty much every argument on My Little Remix explained right there.
Mundius

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic