Pony Mix Central Remix War

Pony Mix Central Remix War

Postby Rainbowjack » 19 May 2012 05:17

Hey guys!

So, us over at Pony Mix Central are organising a remix war (not one like the ones you guys do in the Summer or whatever, just one to welcome in the site and gain some publicity) and were wondering if anyone would be interested in joining? If you're interested comment below, we're going to have special guest judges who we're organising now and we'd love it if everyone could join!

Thanks /)*(\
I like music /)*(\

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rainbowjack
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RainbowjackMusic
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rainbowjack1
Skype Name: rainbowjack12598
Rainbowjack

Re: Pony Mix Central Remix War

Postby natsukashi » 19 May 2012 14:40

We could use a link yknow!
ToastbeardERS03:
23:32:35 <natsukashi> I played this for my mom
23:32:48 <J4CKL3-4PP> "now I'm an orphan"
natsukashi

Postby bartekko » 19 May 2012 14:57

So you're only doing it for teh publicity?
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby bartekko » 19 May 2012 15:50

I don't want to be an ass, butt here's a few things on ponyremixplanet.com,( which appears to be the site you mod/own) that "rustled my jimmies"

You like exclamation marks, don't you, dodo1234? You use them everywhere, even where a simple dot would be more appriopriate.

" Okay, so all songs need to be for one of these categories;
-Dubstep
-Hardstyle
-Electronic
-Other"
Pretty easy to notice what's wrong: It must be either x,y,z, or something that's not x,y, or z
Also, why dubstep in the very first place.

"Then, the best of each category will go to the next stage, and will be judged by our special guest judges!"
By whom?

This is the end of me dissing the post about the remix war, which was basically me having grammar issues with the author.

Now the rest of blog:

The only one who actually posts music is also DoDo1234, while you and the other jack only post like... personal issues. your blog is not a personal tumblr, where you post and reblog whatever the hell you want, but a site to which people come to hear music.

Other than that, you abuse AND misuse both memes, and emoticons. This makes your blog look like it's ran by 14 year old kids, not people who are serious about their blog.

I would also suggest some changes to the layout of the site to make reading easier and more convenient.

You don't seem to have a lot of quality control. Do something about it.

"-It should be no more than 24 hours old on submission- The idea of this site is to inform readers of fresh, brand new mixes and songs. If your song is any older than 28 hours, it's unlikely it will be posted. Possible, but unlikely. If you submit the song, but I'm unable to showcase it on time, provided that it's good enough, I will either edit the post or make a new one with the song in it."

So like, my song got 10 views, and no one knows about it, but I uploaded it three days ago, it will not get posted in favour of a song by OmniLivingToasterTheMicrophoneV that got 50000 views in a matter of hours? Seems like a bad deal.

"-It must be of a suitable quality. If nobodies gonna enjoy it, I ain't posting it. It must sound clear, have no interference and be (if it's a remix) edited in such a way that it's listen-able! For example, sound clips suit the style of the mix and wont have any unwanted background noise heard from the original clip, and sounds will be edited to fit the pace and timing of your song."
of suitable quality, nobody's, listenable. whole last sentence.

"mrbolty*AT*gmail*DOT*com"
Couldn't you just write it like "[email protected]" ?

You should make themed posts. If there's a Fluttershy as the picture, and the post consist of one fluttershy chillout song, and five to six dubstep sons, you are not doing this right.

Tag them properly, too.

That'd be it for now. I'm sorry if my criticism is harsh and too straightforward, but I just want to give you advice on how to make your blog better.
Better => more popular

You're not alone on the internet. There already are more estabilished and bigger blogs about brony music. IF YOU'RE GONNA JUMP, THEN JUMP FAR.
bartekko

Postby Rainbowjack » 20 May 2012 00:52

natsukashi wrote:We could use a link yknow!

Here it is http://www.ponyremixplanet.com/2012/05/remix-war-attention-all-artists.html

bartekko wrote:So you're only doing it for teh publicity?

Not just for the publicity, it started off as just two of us staff members but that completely died so now we're opening it up for everyone so everyone can join in.

Our idea for the prize is we're going to try and get a list of big name artists who agree to work on a collaboration with the winner, which will be awesome for the winner as they get to work with one of these artists and they'll get their name out there and people will listen to their stuff.

Here's a promo I made for it also,
I like music /)*(\

Rainbowjack

Postby Rainbowjack » 20 May 2012 01:19

Bartekko, I understand your criticism, but here is what's wrong with it.

Your song wasn't posted because you haven't been added to the site as an artist, meaning DoDo hasn't sent you a message saying we'd like you on the site, which I'll tell him to do now. See, we can't post anything without the artist's permission, you can find a list of artists who we can post here http://www.ponyremixplanet.com/p/artists.html

I don't know why DoDo likes exclamation marks, I haven't really noticed but we (Captain Jack, Reid and I) can't edit posts we didn't make so I can't change it but I can tell him to use less if it's really a problem.

The four categories were just a suggestion I gave to DoDo that he seems to have gone with, I was just using them as an example but he's used them so I can't answer with that.

The special judges are yet to be announced but we're hoping to get someone like The Living Tombstone (who we have permission to post and would probably be glad to help) or Mic the Microphone or someone to judge, like a big name which will make the competition even bigger.

DoDo is the only person who can post music, that's his position on the site, I am the art person but I've been a little busy with music and school work and stuff to be able to do much, Captain Jack is doing reviews and Reid is doing interviews (he's just graduated so he'll start doing stuff soon).

Can I ask where we misuse memes? I can't seem to find any moments of this.

The quotes you've made from the Submit section are harsh but this is the first time I've seen them, I'll tell DoDo to change them immediately.

The images used I've never understood either, I'll question that now.

I fully understand your criticism, I don't mind it at all, but I just thought I'd point out what I thought.

Sorry if any butthurt was caused by this post.
I like music /)*(\

Rainbowjack

Postby bartekko » 20 May 2012 03:06

Rainbowjack wrote:Your song wasn't posted because you haven't been added to the site as an artist,

I never asked for a song of mine to be posted. I only used myself as an example in criticizing something completely different.

I don't know why DoDo likes exclamation marks, I haven't really noticed but we (Captain Jack, Reid and I) can't edit posts we didn't make so I can't change it but I can tell him to use less if it's really a problem.

It's a problem that makes your site look unprofessional

The four categories were just a suggestion I gave to DoDo that he seems to have gone with, I was just using them as an example but he's used them so I can't answer with that.

Okay then. But still, the fact that a song must be x,y,z, something else makes not much sense. Better worded would be: The songs will be judged in following categories: x,y,z,other
My suggestions would be: House/Trance, Dubstep/Complextro, Dnb, Hip Hop, Instrumental(Orchestral/Classical), Ambient/Chillout, Rock, Metal, Experimental.
The special judges are yet to be announced but we're hoping to get someone like The Living Tombstone (who we have permission to post and would probably be glad to help) or Mic the Microphone or someone to judge, like a big name which will make the competition even bigger.

oh, okay then. You're justified

DoDo is the only person who can post music, that's his position on the site, I am the art person but I've been a little busy with music and school work and stuff to be able to do much, Captain Jack is doing reviews and Reid is doing interviews (he's just graduated so he'll start doing stuff soon).

Can I ask where we misuse memes? I can't seem to find any moments of this.
http://www.ponyremixplanet.com/2012/05/mfw.html A ffffffffffuuuuuuuuu does not go with sadness (derpy). it goes with being mad. But my bigger problem is abusing them.

The quotes you've made from the Submit section are harsh

I'm sorry.

I fully understand your criticism, I don't mind it at all, but I just thought I'd point out what I thought.

Okay
Sorry if any butthurt was caused by this post.

No butthurt caused.
bartekko

Postby Rainbowjack » 20 May 2012 03:31

Sorry, by "the quotes you've made from the submit section are a bit harsh" I meant that what is said in that section are harsh, it's not your fault and you don't need to be sorry.

I never asked for a song of mine to be posted. I only used myself as an example in criticizing something completely different.

Whoever you're referring to, if they haven't asked or haven't been asked that's why they aren't on the site, if they want their songs to be posted just message or email DoDo.
I like music /)*(\

Rainbowjack

Postby DoDo1234 » 20 May 2012 11:46

Hey, y'all!
Just popping in to see what's up...
I see Rainbow's already answered some of these questions, but thought I'd comment as well

You like exclamation marks, don't you, dodo1234?

Ya! I guess I overuse them a little, don't I? I'll try and fix that! XD

" Okay, so all songs need to be for one of these categories;
-Dubstep
-Hardstyle
-Electronic
-Other"
Pretty easy to notice what's wrong: It must be either x,y,z, or something that's not x,y, or z
Also, why dubstep in the very first place.

Yah, this's been brought up before, and I think there's definitely a flaw here- we'll try ta fix it.

The only one who actually posts music is also DoDo1234, while you and the other jack only post like... personal issues. your blog is not a personal tumblr, where you post and reblog whatever the hell you want, but a site to which people come to hear music.

Yeah, that's kinda my area. As Rainbow Jack said, everyone has an area. Rainbow's Graphics, Cap'n's Reviews (Though he admittedly seems to be getting a bit lazy with them), Reid's Reviews (he's in practise for right now) and I'm the Music compilations. I'll work on spreading people around to spread stuff out, y'know... I'll also work on sorting out what's posted, so nothing "Personal" gets through

Other than that, you abuse AND misuse both memes, and emoticons. This makes your blog look like it's ran by 14 year old kids, not people who are serious about their blog.

... ? The emoticons I understand... But...

I would also suggest some changes to the layout of the site to make reading easier and more convenient.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how the layout's flawed. Is there anything in particular I should fix? Thanks

So like, my song got 10 views, and no one knows about it, but I uploaded it three days ago, it will not get posted in favour of a song by OmniLivingToasterTheMicrophoneV that got 50000 views in a matter of hours? Seems like a bad deal.

The difference is whether it's submitted or not- I don't instantly know when everybronies songs come out. If you want your songs showcased, I could add you to the artists list and subscribe. This'd mean I could make updates of your pony-related music stuff, as regularly as you upload it. Alternatively, if you'd like more control over what's showcased, submit them as you go!

"mrbolty*AT*gmail*DOT*com"
Couldn't you just write it like "[email protected]" ?

Nope! I did have that, then a bot started spamming me... So now I'm extra cautious...

You should make themed posts. If there's a Fluttershy as the picture, and the post consist of one fluttershy chillout song, and five to six dubstep sons, you are not doing this right.

All righty, I'll make sure to try and choose images more wisely!

That'd be it for now. I'm sorry if my criticism is harsh and too straightforward, but I just want to give you advice on how to make your blog better.

I understand that. Criticisms always a good thing for me- unless it's not constructive... Which this was, by the by! Thanks!

My suggestions would be: House/Trance, Dubstep/Complextro, Dnb, Hip Hop, Instrumental(Orchestral/Classical), Ambient/Chillout, Rock, Metal, Experimental.

Thanks for the suggestions! All I'm concerned about is splitting songs up too much, y'know?

Also, it never occurred to me that maybe the submit stuffs a bit harsh on artists. I'll try loosening it up just a little, I guess. But the original idea was to allow people to get their stuff out there fast, for the artists and the viewers, and to make sure it was out there fast, I... Made it a bit harsh I guess... XD

I'll work on these things, and improve the site!
Thanks again!
DoDo1234

Postby bartekko » 20 May 2012 12:03

DoDo1234 wrote:

The difference is whether it's submitted or not- I don't instantly know when everybronies songs come out. If you want your songs showcased, I could add you to the artists list and subscribe. This'd mean I could make updates of your pony-related music stuff, as regularly as you upload it. Alternatively, if you'd like more control over what's showcased, submit them as you go!

It should be no more than 24 hours old on submission-

bartekko

Postby Rainbowdutch » 21 May 2012 03:40

Rainbowjack and dodo
Here are the problems I have with your site and your contest

- Like bartekko said, the >24 hour thing is kind of a big problem no matter how much you two try to steer around the subjects in your replies.

- Also should there be a way to correct the mistakes of someone else. Mistakes are human and on a professional site they should be fixed as soon as possible.

- The writing of your site is very casual as well. They look like the average tumblr post of a brony musician, I would suggest looking at how equestria daily does its writeup.

- The centered text is also difficult to read. I again would like to refer to equestria daily for tips.

- I read some of your posts and especially when it comes to the reviews I would suggest to actually know what you are talking about. I am not even talking about all the technical details when it comes to making music but " I've recently listened to "Stuck in Time" by the Living Tombstone, a rock song he collaborated on with another musician about Doctor Whooves." Made me facepalm the hardest. Not only is bronyfied an established musician in the fandom, when you are doing a review of a song you should at least know who the musician is.

- the remix wars is also a well known contest that is organized by mlr. I would suggest changing the name of yours to prevent any confusion. Right now it looks like you are leeching of the fame of an already well known event by using its name.

- on a personal note I am really questioning the quality controll of your contest. From reading those reviews I really discourage using your own people for this. The mlr remix war is in good hands b
ecause I know makkon's judgement is professional and not biased. God, I suspect that there would be tons of people who would be willing to help him like "professional" brony musicians and prelisteners for equestria daily (including me). But I really don't think that you guys can get "a thelivingtombstone" or "a micthemicrophone" on board to judge the songs or that you can get one of them as far as to collab with the winner.
Rainbowdutch

Postby DoDo1234 » 21 May 2012 09:11

- Like bartekko said, the >24 hour thing is kind of a big problem no matter how much you two try to steer around the subjects in your replies.

I realise this is a problem, and am fixing it now! Err... Would 50 hours be fair do you think, or am I still a little off the mark?

- The writing of your site is very casual as well. They look like the average tumblr post of a brony musician, I would suggest looking at how equestria daily does its writeup.

Okay, I'll make sure to look at that.

- The centered text is also difficult to read. I again would like to refer to equestria daily for tips.

Oh, the centred text! I thought it looked nice... Okay, I'll make sure to instead use Justify, so it's easier to read. Thanks!

- I read some of your posts and especially when it comes to the reviews I would suggest to actually know what you are talking about. I am not even talking about all the technical details when it comes to making music but " I've recently listened to "Stuck in Time" by the Living Tombstone, a rock song he collaborated on with another musician about Doctor Whooves." Made me facepalm the hardest. Not only is bronyfied an established musician in the fandom, when you are doing a review of a song you should at least know who the musician is.

I'll make sure to talk to Cap'n about this! I've noticed he is a bit lazy with reviews...

- the remix wars is also a well known contest that is organized by mlr. I would suggest changing the name of yours to prevent any confusion. Right now it looks like you are leeching of the fame of an already well known event by using its name.

Okay, I'll make sure it gets changed, sorry- I didn't realise it was something that the site held so dear, and didn't mean to offend anyone.

Your advice is really appreciated and helpful for us, so thanks a tonne!
I've got a list of things I'm gonna improve now, is there anything else that annoys you about the contest or site? If so, please do say and I'll add it for fixing!
DoDo1234

Postby bartekko » 21 May 2012 09:52

I realise this is a problem, and am fixing it now! Err... Would 50 hours be fair do you think, or am I still a little off the mark?

you're missing the point

Oh, the centred text! I thought it looked nice... Okay, I'll make sure to instead use Justify, so it's easier to read. Thanks!

I think that aligning to the left would be more appriopriate.
bartekko

Postby Rainbowdutch » 21 May 2012 13:41

bartekko wrote:you're missing the point

again...
Rainbowdutch

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 21 May 2012 15:47

I know this has been brushed over already, but I feel I'll add my concerns on the issue to perhaps strengthen the following position by adding to the surely mountainous amount of people who support it:

Dubstep, hardstyle, electronic and other?

I have many problems with this:

--It discourages artists from trying another genre, even if that discouragement is small. It subconsciously lets them know that you might be more lenient on songs of these genres.

--I feel like you kind of just shoehorned in "other" to be "politically correct" with your post. It's like some government is being established and they say "WE AS A NATION WILL WORK TOWARDS PROTECTING OUR SECURITY BY STRENGTHENING GIGANTIC BUSINESSES AND KILLING OUTSIDERS alsowe'reforthepeople." On that note, why even bother bringing up the first three if you were just going to say "other?" Just lift the "suggestions" and say: "Any genre of music is welcome in this competition."

--This is probably just my liberal nazi socialist fascist muslim mind at work, but I don't like other people telling me what I can and can't do in a creative project. It's MY project. Maybe that means I'm self-centered, but it's my opinion so I'm going to roll with it. This concern does not directly relate to anyone else. I do admit that this position lacks any concrete logic behind it, but that is simply because it's how I feel.

I would like to stress I'm not trying to be rude. It's just when people tell musicians what genre to make, it rustles literally every single jimmy I own. I hope this wasn't too mean. AND AGAIN: I know this has been brought up already, but I still felt like giving my opinion on it. Sorry if I'm bringing up old news.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Rainbowjack » 22 May 2012 02:34

I was literally just about to change it to "any genre of music is welcome".
I like music /)*(\

Rainbowjack

Postby Rainbowjack » 22 May 2012 04:46

Okay, I'm doing a massive edit of the entire site to fit all these criticisms. If there's still anything you'd like changed by 24 hours after this post, tell me.
I like music /)*(\

Rainbowjack

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 22 May 2012 17:36

Rainbowjack wrote:Okay, I'm doing a massive edit of the entire site to fit all these criticisms. If there's still anything you'd like changed by 24 hours after this post, tell me.

I think the primary concern was the name, unless that was gone over
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Return to Remix War