Don't Be Afraid to Make Your Music More <Pony>!

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: Don't Be Afraid to Make Your Music More <Pony>!

Postby soup2504 » 07 Apr 2012 18:24

Icky wrote:I am actually quitting pony music myself. Not because I want to move on to a bigger fanbase, but because I am sick of my image as brony musician.

This started out as me making music for a show a loved, and it should have stayed that way. Instead I feel forced to make music related to MLP just because that's what people expect from me. It started to turn into a "how can I ponify this song" game, and instead of doing what I wanted to do myself I started making music for my subscribers. My subscribers who only care for my music because of the link to a popular show.

My music would never have been this well received if it wasn't for the pony samples and themes I used. It makes me feel like a huge hack knowing that the only reason I have over 3000 subscribers on youtube is because of a popular show I made a few mediocre songs for.

I'm probably still going to stick around the forums and the skype chats because of all the friends I've made in this community, but don't expect any more <Pony> from me.

Are you quitting music altogether, or just pony music? I hope it's the latter.

I also find people quitting for reasons like this extremely silly, your fans need to just deal with it, your fans shouldn't drive you to quit
soup2504

Postby bartekko » 08 Apr 2012 08:56

soup2504 wrote:
Icky wrote:I am actually quitting pony music myself.

Are you quitting music altogether, or just pony music?

Ayfkm
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby soup2504 » 08 Apr 2012 09:48

bartekko wrote:
soup2504 wrote:
Icky wrote:I am actually quitting pony music myself.

Are you quitting music altogether, or just pony music?

Ayfkm

Yeah, I just realized that before I read your post >_< I do alot of stupid things like this, so shush.
soup2504

Postby Whitetail » 08 Apr 2012 10:35

The absolute worst thing you can do for the community and yourself is to shoehorn pony samples into things that don't need them.

If you were inspired by the show to make a song then it should at least in some way be apparent, be it mood, composition or otherwise - if you weren't inspired by the show or you're trying to force yourself to be inspired by the show then you're more looking for attention then anything else and your songs will show it.
Whitetail

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 13 Apr 2012 16:22

DJ Pon-3 wrote: . . . an instrumental that shows a clear influence by the show, it should be apparent that a show is "Pony" in the song itself. I'm seeing so many people jumping on the instrumental bandwagon AND not making any effort to show the influence . . .

Well who decides what "cuts it" as far as it being pony-related and instrumental? I make instrumental music, and I can assure you the influence is pony (when I claim it is) -- but what if that's not evident to someone else? Who is ANYONE but the artist to claim what it is about? Music is subjective, and the artist gets first pick.

Now, I know what you mean; You're talking about the folk who make a complete song, and THEN add pony, and I agree, that is silly. In instrumental music, the influence should be decided from the get-go. My deal is this:

What if the person's influence is pony, but YOU don't see it? Is it then suddenly THEIR fault?
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby the4thImpulse » 13 Apr 2012 16:38

CaptainFluffatun wrote:
DJ Pon-3 wrote: . . . an instrumental that shows a clear influence by the show, it should be apparent that a show is "Pony" in the song itself. I'm seeing so many people jumping on the instrumental bandwagon AND not making any effort to show the influence . . .

Well who decides what "cuts it" as far as it being pony-related and instrumental? I make instrumental music, and I can assure you the influence is pony (when I claim it is) -- but what if that's not evident to someone else? Who is ANYONE but the artist to claim what it is about? Music is subjective, and the artist gets first pick.

Now, I know what you mean; You're talking about the folk who make a complete song, and THEN add pony, and I agree, that is silly. In instrumental music, the influence should be decided from the get-go. My deal is this:

What if the person's influence is pony, but YOU don't see it? Is it then suddenly THEIR fault?

Its already been said but thats what descriptions are for under youtube video's/ soundcould or whatever you use. Simply write what inspired you and people will understand the track otherwise it would be near impossible to just listen to the music and know if its pony or not.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 13 Apr 2012 17:10

the4thImpulse wrote:Its already been said

Still wanted to give my two cents.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby the4thImpulse » 13 Apr 2012 17:54

CaptainFluffatun wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:Its already been said

Still wanted to give my two cents.

I do agree with you though, there is no true way of knowing if an instrumental is pony inspired or just added on. It is what is in the end and you can either believe it or ignore and enjoy the music.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby ArtAttack » 19 Apr 2012 16:37

The fact that this has to be discussed in detail is one of the reasons I won't be sticking with "Brony Music" much longer.
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby Legion » 19 Apr 2012 16:50

ArtAttack wrote:The fact that this has to be discussed in detail is one of the reasons I won't be sticking with "Brony Music" much longer.

I'm bummed to hear that, it's really sad that it's come down to artists flat out leaving brony music. Wherever you go, if and when you change directions, good luck in whatever you do.

Edit: 100th post get!
Last edited by Legion on 19 Apr 2012 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Legion

Postby soup2504 » 19 Apr 2012 18:52

ArtAttack wrote:The fact that this has to be discussed in detail is one of the reasons I won't be sticking with "Brony Music" much longer.

That isn't a good enough reason to quit, if you ask me, it's kinda silly that something like this would drive ANYONE to quit(much like people leaving the brony fandom because they saw someone doing something they don't like).

I'm not stopping you and I'm not saying you aren't allowed to quit, but I still think it's a silly reason, and I just want that to be known <3
soup2504

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 19 Apr 2012 19:08

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Don't disconnect yourself from brony music, don't forbid yourself to make it. Just make music. Who cares if it's about Fluttershy, or rainclouds, or lasers, just make music from whatever inspires you.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby ArtAttack » 19 Apr 2012 19:27

soup2504 wrote:

That isn't a good enough reason to quit, if you ask me, it's kinda silly that something like this would drive ANYONE to quit(much like people leaving the brony fandom because they saw someone doing something they don't like).

I'm not stopping you and I'm not saying you aren't allowed to quit, but I still think it's a silly reason, and I just want that to be known <3

Oh ok nevermind
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Postby soup2504 » 19 Apr 2012 20:00

ArtAttack wrote:
soup2504 wrote:

Oh ok nevermind

/expecting an argument

Well, you se- Wait..... What? Not sure if serious....
soup2504

Postby ArtAttack » 19 Apr 2012 20:17

The whole arguing about what is and isn't pony, encouraging people to make their things more pony, the need for my music to have ponies in it to have people pay attention to me, the fact that "pony" is being used as an adjective, yeah, how about no.

TL;DR, fans at the moment listen to my music because candy ponies and not because music, I don't like that, I'm jumping ship, or at least doing what Lav said and not giving a frack.
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Postby soup2504 » 19 Apr 2012 21:08

ArtAttack wrote:The whole arguing about what is and isn't pony, encouraging people to make their things more pony, the need for my music to have ponies in it to have people pay attention to me, the fact that "pony" is being used as an adjective, yeah, how about no.

TL;DR, fans at the moment listen to my music because candy ponies and not because music, I don't like that, I'm jumping ship, or at least doing what Lav said and not giving a frack.

The TL;DR was pretty pointless, considering it was almost as long as what was directly above it.

But anyways, clarification is good, but TBH, if I somehow get popular (HAH!) and I start busting out some non-pony tracks and people start complaining, I would not give two fucks.

If Alex S. and Archie are allowed to do it, so is every other brony musician. They just need to deal with it.
soup2504

Postby Stars In Autumn » 19 Apr 2012 23:35

This old argument. If you are influenced by something pony or community related, then I consider the song pony related. As it's already been mentioned, explaining how it was influenced helps.

In terms of musicians no longer making pony music, I understand completely why. At some point, making music for ponies becomes restrictive. As much as I love the show, I can handle only so much of it before it becomes stale and uninteresting, and my music I upload shows. In terms of my last few songs, only one was pony related.

In terms of future stuff, I am writing music for a pony game, and there's at least one more pony song that I'm trying to finish, if I can get it right. Outside of that, I might just move on.

The point is that we grow as musicians. Being restricted to pony stuff only will stunt that growth.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Freewave » 20 Apr 2012 09:03

ArtAttack wrote:The whole arguing about what is and isn't pony, encouraging people to make their things more pony, the need for my music to have ponies in it to have people pay attention to me, the fact that "pony" is being used as an adjective, yeah, how about no.

Hey all I'm saying is that all the new brony musicians coming into the scene need to consider what consists of the scene and yes that's music mixed with references to the show. Not including that as part of your music inspiration doesn't really make a track "pony" and it does come through in the music whe its slapped on afterwards. I don't think there's a real argument or witch hunt about what is and isn't "pony" except for some tracks where the inspiration wasn't explained or the artist didn't really show that influence well, or it wasn't there to begin with. Newcomers should certainly know they can get and use show samples (without background music even) and take advantage of using show themes (like in Toast Beard). Assuming that they know this already would be likely be incorrect. Our "job" on the forum is to help make the music better.

Ultimately people listen to the music because it hopefully is good MUSIC and compliments the show (making it part of that wider community). Ultimately any artist CAN do whatever they want and some may see being part of the brony community and including that influence as something they are tired of or find it restrictive but it's what it is. If people leave its very sad but there's always an end point for any artist here on how much it inspires them. The scene as a whole may suffer if enough prominant bronies feel this way and walk off. Ultimately we want any artist to be happy making this music so if you're not feeling it anymore conitinue to make the music you want to make. But there are always new people coming in to fill the void but its important that the next music be AS good (hence all the threads on the technical aspects of music) and that does mean a solid foundation. That's why the pony inspiration should be a part of technique on this forum as that's part of what makes Brony Music what it IS..
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby guitarfan01 » 24 Apr 2012 17:19

ArtAttack wrote:TL;DR, fans at the moment listen to my music because candy ponies and not because music, I don't like that, I'm jumping ship, or at least doing what Lav said and not giving a frack.

ArtAttack, I listen to your music because it kicks ass, whatever individual tracks are inspired by. That's why I listen to any of the musicians who are bronies, just as it's why I listen to musicians who are Christians. I like MLP, so I'll be more willing to give a first listen to an artist who also likes MLP, just as I'm more willing to give a first, ear-unheard listen to a musician is a Christian because I share philosophical convictions. But whether I continue to listen is dependent solely on the quality of the content the artist produces. That's my opinion as a consumer of music by bronies, rather than a producer (although I have like five songs that are half-written and refuse to be finished).

So, ArtAttack, you can leave the "brony scene" if you like, just make sure you leave a forwarding address, because I want to hear whatever else you do.
The One Galen, lead singer and guitarist of The Wonderbolts!
Youtube
Bandcamp
guitarfan01

Primary: Studio One
Cutie Mark: Guitar, Singing

Postby MYCUTIEMARKISAGUN » 30 May 2012 01:16

Yeah, problem is i'm actually FAR less interested in sampling the show than i am in sampling all this crazy weird music you ppl post everyday. I was a (pretty good heh heh) hip-hop producer for years before ponies, I'm accustomed to searching for the most eclectic music possible for sampling. With this community, not only do I have a awesome sample source none of my contemporaries/SWORN ENEMIES are aware of, I can actually talk to the guys who made them and ask for say, a BPM or a solo wav of a certain instrument. AND OH YEAH, nobody's gonna be a total douche about it and demand all sorts of royalties and stupid shit.

Hell, most of the stuff I'm using are just WIPs posted in #bronymusic anyhow
onlybuilt4ponylinx.tumblr.com

SADFKLJASFJ;KLFDSAJKL;VJKL;FDSJKLIJKL;'WOIJ[RWIJR
MYCUTIEMARKISAGUN

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: A GUN, obviously

Postby soultensionbenjamin » 31 May 2012 19:25

Trust me once i figure out how to ponyfy music the way i imagine all its ever gonna be is pony and more pony and more pony

pony now, pony tomorrow, pony forever.
soultensionbenjamin

Postby colortwelve » 31 May 2012 19:36

soultensionbenjamin wrote:Trust me once i figure out how to ponyfy music the way i imagine all its ever gonna be is pony and more pony and more pony

pony now, pony tomorrow, pony forever.

Don't say forever, take Jeff the Strider's advice. If pony becomes restrictive to your development as a musician (which it will if you're dedicated to growing and progressing), toss it aside. Like ill.Gates said, you need to have a diverse input to have a diverse output.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Quix » 31 May 2012 19:38

I can understand where you're coming from. I have noticed that most of the tracks here aren't directly pony-related, including the two I've made. I only started making music on Saturday, so I'm very new to the music-making process, and I'm still learning the ropes. I haven't started any song with any ideas to base them on. I've honestly just fooled around with a beat and added some synths/melodies that sounded good, and went from there.
Quix

Primary: Ableton Live 9

Postby Navron » 01 Jun 2012 08:33

quix117 wrote:I can understand where you're coming from. I have noticed that most of the tracks here aren't directly pony-related, including the two I've made. I only started making music on Saturday, so I'm very new to the music-making process, and I'm still learning the ropes. I haven't started any song with any ideas to base them on. I've honestly just fooled around with a beat and added some synths/melodies that sounded good, and went from there.

While having a general sound or topic to aim for is good, just don't ever let it interfere with your creativity.

In other words, if you want to make a pony song, and it turns into something completely new you weren't aiming for, don't try to salvage it into a pony song, or throw samples in, etc.

You start off with a general idea, and then let your creativity do the rest.

I've started songs with no intentions of making a pony song, but then suddenly I'm envisioning a pony themed story in my head as the song creates itself. On the flip side, I've started songs with the intention of creating a pony-themed piece, and it turns into something completely non-pony.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Facade » 01 Jun 2012 10:30

guitarfan01 wrote:ArtAttack, I listen to your music because it kicks ass

same here i don't make much pony music not only because i can't find the right inspiration all the time but because i want people to listen to my music for my music
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic