--Introduction Thread-- Newbies Please Use This Thread First

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: --Introduction Thread-- Newbies Please Use This Thread F

Postby LetsEatHay » 04 Jan 2016 20:02

Hi everyone! My name in the pony world is "Let's Eat Hay" :grin:

I'm here to learn and improve, and help others do the same as much as I can.

Electronic music has been one of my hobbies on and off (mostly off) since the 1980s. (I'm in my 40s now, how did that happen?) Seeing all the pony fandom music over the last few years has inspired me to try to get back into it again. Maybe someday I'll actually finish and release a pony-related track :P

I like most kinds of music, but my favorite genres are probably trance and classical.

I also studied some math/dsp stuff in college, if anyone wants to chat about such nerdery. :geek:
Kindness is a strength, not a weakness. ԐǐЗ
LetsEatHay

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby DUMBFABRIC » 05 Jan 2016 00:02

LetsEatHay wrote:Electronic music has been one of my hobbies on and off (mostly off) since the 1980s. (I'm in my 40s now, how did that happen?) Seeing all the pony fandom music over the last few years has inspired me to try to get back into it again. Maybe someday I'll actually finish and release a pony-related track :P

Welcome! It's cool to see some older bronies getting in the game. While you're around you should also check out Toastbeard when it gets back active again. It's fun stuff.
HARSH NOISE BRONY WOOOO LOOK AT HOW LOUD I CAN BE

But sometimes in a pinch I can do ambient noise or whatever I guess...

https://soundcloud.com/dumb-fabric
DUMBFABRIC

Primary: FL and Audacity, depending
Cutie Mark: A broken waveform probably

Postby DarthEquus » 12 Feb 2016 04:40

Greetings to everyone.

My name is DarthEquus, and I'm not a musician, just an indie game producer. Yes, I'm making a pony-based game. Look forward to meet new buddies here, and that I don't bore you (too much). I'll usually be posting in the non-music sections of the forum.

Thank you for your time, and pony on.
DarthEquus

Primary: A fork and a goblet with water.
Cutie Mark: Crossed Lightsabers

Postby sspider » 22 Mar 2016 13:35

Hi, my name is sspider, and I am a huge bloody Canadian dork!

I make mainly ambient and progressive house music and generally mix up the two. Also making cover which for songs are maybe a little more sexual then I should....but I don't care xD It's my music
I love spiders and making music that is cool.....for a dork :p
sspider

Cutie Mark: Spider

Postby Celestial Throne » 01 Apr 2016 14:09

Hello!

I´m Celestial Throne. I just found this website and I thought that I should make an account.

I make pony music from various genres, but mainly metal and rock.

I really don´t know what else there is to tell. You can send me a private message or something if you want to talk :smile: .
Celestial Throne

Postby ExoBassTix » 06 Apr 2016 23:36

Hey Darth, sspider and Throne! Welcome to MLR! I'm really glad that this place still attracts new people, even though things have radically slowed down here.

Don't let the inactivity stop you from using this site ;) you'll probably get an answer on your questions still, and there's always room for you to show what you know.
I hope you enjoy your stay!
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby silenthoof1989 » 14 Apr 2016 11:57

Hey everyone, i owe you all an apology, i created an account on here quite a few months ago, i made one post introducing myself and never logged on again, i'm real sorry to any of you who took the time to welcome me, so i thought i'd reintroduce myself, my name is peter, i've been producing music for around 6 years now and have been playing guitar for around 10 years, i've been a brony for around a year now and came home from my second brony convention, which is why i'm back on here now, there were a few music producers who performed at the convention including silva hound and shaun wasabi, i enjoyed it so much that i decided to finally start making some of my own pony related music :) again i'm terribly sorry and i really hope i can make lot's of new friends on here :)
silenthoof1989

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Chillout, Guitar

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 14 Apr 2016 19:34

If your active, I'm sure you'll have a good time. Welcome back
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby silenthoof1989 » 15 Apr 2016 01:16

Bronies Are Cool wrote:If your active, I'm sure you'll have a good time. Welcome back

yeah :D i was looking though a few posts on here and people seem to be real friendly and helpfull, thanks man :)
silenthoof1989

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 15 Apr 2016 09:07

silenthoof1989 wrote:
Bronies Are Cool wrote:If your active, I'm sure you'll have a good time. Welcome back

yeah :D i was looking though a few posts on here and people seem to be real friendly and helpfull, thanks man :)

That's usually what happens when you talk to a bunch of bronies / ex-bronies.
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby _//[Korroki] » 28 Apr 2016 05:41

BIG ASS POST INCOMING

Yo, I'm Korroki. (I'm called Leon irl, but I'll just use the name Korroki here)

Sooooo, I consider myself a Polymath-in-training, my interests are pretty diverse, and I find it would be inaccurate to describe my self as an artist, musician or ect.

I became a brony January 2013, it helped me drag myself out of some odd sleepy pit of dark I found myself in.

After seeing what the MLP Fandom is and what it can do I became inspired.
Very inspired.

Ironically, I didn't make that many friends online, except for a group on PSN,I never really did put myself out there or something.
----------------
I've had this creative project I've been thinking about the the better part of those 3 years, its just been cooking in my brain, screaming and yelling at me to get it out.
To put it simply, not a day goes by that I don't think about this thing. I am literally OBSESSED.

It involves pony, a clan of former demons leading an interstellar hyper-society, rainbow powered cybernetic bio-enhanced supersoldiers (Specters are scary motherfuckers), interdimentional muckery, spiritual technologies and combat, Industrial stuff, a massive war that breaks out, and a whole LOT of other cool stuff. [I WANT TO LIVE THERE]

Seriously, this is a good idea, I'm not trying to be arrogant, I've been on this idea for a long time now, this has to exist.

I could go into further detail If you want, but I'd rather just express the damn things in art and song or writing or something.
I call it Project: SPECTRA
because reasons
--------------
I have lots of songs stockpiled in my head, itching to be brought to life, they even have names, but the thing is, I'm still at a beginner's level.

I don't exactly know what the hell to do. DX
I haven't made any actual solid music, or posted that much art, there's a bunch of sketched up project files and sketches in my hard drive and my journals.
Lots of WIPs and such...
THEY WANT LIFE.

But I do know basic music theory, and *some* production stuff, and a working grasp of art that I can pencil things, I have the general scan of things per-say.
------------------
Oh hey, here the really fun part:
I'm planning to join the US Army, currently in the Future Soldier program, I'm shipping (heh o3o) around Fall.
So, I have to condense a good chunk of learning within 3-ish months, cause' Army stuff's gonna be busy as f**

I've kinda'v been thrashing about alone-ish for quite some time.
I figure its about damn time I actually talked to someone for real >w<, and I happen to be decent at writing, so forums are a good place for me.
Annnd I'm here.
I should have done this earlier, but whateves'
-------------

Looking for some swood fellows to do stuff with.

So, to kick things off, who here wants to make some Sci-Fi Industrial METALSTEP? OWO

(a little anecdote on how I think about genres.
the song, like nature, doesn't care how its categorized.
If you were to show any of our music to an alien from elsewhere, they wouldn't initially call it house or dubstep or ect. They'd probably call it fucking awesome and then they'd categorize it, if they care about catagory that is.

k I'm dun.
*dolphin dives off soapbox*
_//[Korroki]

Primary: FL Studio12 + Ableton 9.5

Postby silenthoof1989 » 29 Apr 2016 14:19

Hey man that sounds like a really awesome idea you got there, i think it'd make a great fanfic too, p.s check your pm's
silenthoof1989

Postby Pulse Wave » 28 Jul 2016 04:37

LetsEatHay wrote:Electronic music has been one of my hobbies on and off (mostly off) since the 1980s. (I'm in my 40s now, how did that happen?) Seeing all the pony fandom music over the last few years has inspired me to try to get back into it again. Maybe someday I'll actually finish and release a pony-related track :P

Wait, someone joined who's even older than me?

Then again, worse than my age is still being too young for my taste in music.
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Postby St. Pinkie » 12 Jan 2017 11:43

This is way overdue and I should really have done this before monkeying around but here goes.

I'm Daniel "St. Pinkie" Anthony, a brony since 2011 hailing from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I've been a musician for almost my entire life but I was not willing to put in the discipline and commitment to take it seriously as a career until it was too late, hence why I'm stuck in the wonderful world of journalism now.

I'm the founder and director of a lesser-known brony record label called Crystal Empire Records based in Southeast Asia. Established in 2014 the label has churned out 8 albums, 6 of which were distributed physically in the region with our latest album "An Asian Celebration" released on CD and distributed exclusively at BronyCon and Trotcon in 2016.

You can see some of our albums below. Click on them to explore. Don't be shy!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Personally, I'm not much of a musician. I have vocal training and ABRSM Grade 8 piano but I'm a little out of practice and hoping to get back on track. Some of the albums above feature my music and are my milestones towards rebuilding my musical side. Here are some of them:

Hope to make some new friends here! See y'all around :)
St. Pinkie

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Tenor G-Clef

Postby DJ_Bonebraker » 02 Jun 2017 21:38

Hello, everyone.

I am Laura (or sometimes Ben, because I'm bi-gender), but I go by DJ Bonebraker on YouTube. My day job is being a faceless drone working for the military-industrial complex, and I live in the backwoods of Pennsylvania.

As for what brought me here, I've been interested in electronic music since the early 1990's (when I got my first PC), and have been futzing around with ACID Music Studio and making generic instrumental electronic songs since around 2002, when I got ACID 2.0 from the Navy Exchange in Yokosuka, Japan (I've been trying to upload all of them to YouTube recently), although I kinda quit around 2005 due to running out of usable loops & somewhat losing interest due to just how limited ACID 2.0 was in terms of features....

Fast forward to January or February last year, when my marriage was falling apart, and since my wife was spending more & more time at her parents' house, I finally decided to give MLP a chance after avoiding it for a good 5 years due to all the drama surrounding the fandom (sort of like what I did with Harry Potter), and after starting on the first two episodes of Season 1, just to see what the fuss was all about, next thing I knew I was halfway through Season 1, and I ended up getting caught up with the series by the end of March. The show has helped me through a lot of dark times this past year, and especially the Season 2 finale made me realize that I'd essentially married the RL version of Queen Chrysalis, and that I was better off without her, among other things. The episode "Hurricane Fluttershy" also was what finally convinced me to seek professional help for dealing with some of my issues from being bullied in school & PTSD from my military service, and I'm also a lot better off thanks to that as well.

But, long story short, one of my friends from high school who does music production encouraged me to get the latest version of ACID Studio (since I was already familiar with the general UI & such of that brand of software) and get back into making music, and I really like the music of MLP and want to do something to give back to the show & community that has (unknowingly) helped me out so much over the past year. My favorite ponies in the Mane 6/Princesses are Twilight Sparkle, Rarity & Luna. Outside those, I really like Starlight Glimmer (don't hate me), Sunset Shimmer, Maud Pie & Trixie (especially with the character development Trixie's gotten over the last season).

As for my "style", well, since I like a lot of different styles of music (about the only types I absolutely can't stand are gangsta rap that glorifies gang life & what I like to call "standard formula Country" that involves losing everything & crawling into a bottle), and since I incorporate most of them into my electronic music, it's kinda hard to say what it is (further complicated by the fact that I pretty much gave up trying to keep track of all the sub-genres of electronic music once it split into more than Techno, House, Trance & Industrial)... I mean I have songs that use an entire acoustic East Asian percussion section with synth leads & electric bass, to ones that use a lead/rhythm didgeridoo (played by myself no less: I bought the didgeridoo in question when the ship I was stationed on visited Darwin, Australia in 2001) with a thumping 140 BPM house beat...

Anyways, I'm currently working on a mash-up remix of "In Our Town" from S5E1 and "Hell March" from the original Command & Conquer: Red Alert game (although I might be going with Hell March 2 from Red Alert 2, since finding MIDI versions/sheet music for the latter is much easier), among some other non-pony projects, and I'm also thinking about taking a stab at doing a remix of Pinkie's Parasprite Polka (since it doesn't have vocals, it should be easier for me to work with as I get into the swing of things). I'm also hoping to set up either a Band Camp or Sound Cloud account to upload the actual music to for people to download, but would like some recommendations on which is less of a hassle to use before I do so...

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know you all better.
DJ_Bonebraker

Primary: ACID Studio 10
Cutie Mark: FC rating symbol

Postby ExoBassTix » 06 Jun 2017 15:57

Hi Bonebraker! I'm Exo, the local stick-around. You might have noticed if you've taken a look around, but MLR is far from as active as it used to be. Sure, there are still people who come back every now and then for their potent dose of nostalgia, but most people either wrote a public love-you-leave-you letter or faded away softly. Still, there is a big wealth of information on here, and you might still be able to catch some answers for any questions you might have. As for discourse, there's not much of it anymore sadly (to be honest it feels more like the forum format as a whole is falling apart). But well, here I am. Take that however you will :P

That's a heavy history you have there. I am once again impressed at MLP's openness to interpretation, because here someone else yet again has learned powerful things from it. Absolutely amazing :) good to know you're actually taking those steps too, not everything needs to be solved alone!

I'm really interested in hearing that mash-up you speak of when it is finished. Frank Klepacki's work is so good for mashing, truly a neglected use of his music. If you want MIDI for the first Hell March, pass me a PM, tell me if you need any specific parts or anything, cuz I think I could set you up with one if you need it. Possilby sheet music too now that I know how to use Lilypond efficiently. Having perfect pitch significantly speeds up the process of turning music into MIDI.

I welcome thee onto MyLittleRemix! May your stay grant you wisdom and ponies.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby DJ_Bonebraker » 12 Jun 2017 21:28

Hi, Exo!

Well, that kinda figures: I'm late to the punch, yet again... Story of my fraggin' life. Heck, there are times when I even question my wanting to get into making actual music at my age: I mean aside from general mandatory music classes that ended when I was in 7th grade (a good 25 years ago), I've never had any formal training. I wanted to take lessons on Trumpet or Saxophone, or even piano, but my parents couldn't afford to buy or even rent an instrument so I could join band or orchestra....

But then my therapist reminded me the other day that back in February, when I got ACID Studio 10, all I knew about reading sheet music was what whole & quarter notes looked like (had to look up the rest on Wikipedia) and the two mnemonics for the notes on a Treble clef (Every Good Boy Does Fine for the lines & FACE for the spaces), whereas now, just 4 months later, I can pick up sheet music for a piece I've heard before & can generally tell which part of the song a given line is for based on the timing & general note pattern even before I start parsing the actual note values, which I guess is significant progress... But still, I wish I could find an active community for help & pointers (there wouldn't be anything on FaceBook would there?).

I WISH I had perfect pitch, but I guess we all have our strengths & weaknesses.... Which is why I'm so thankful that Digital Audio Workstation software has come as far as it has: I can write & record entire songs (heck, if I wanted to, I could create an entire digital orchestra) on my computer without having to actually PLAY an instrument, which I'm all thumbs at, due to the lack of any training mentioned above....

As for the mash-up, I've got a somewhat decent start (I'm particularly liking the lead-in I've got going), but I'm putting that project on hold to work on a Parasprite Polka remix, since I have almost everything I need for that (need to find and download a good VST horn synth for the trumpet/trombone bits). I've uploaded the prelim of the March of the Cutie Marxists (my working title for the mashup) on my YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/xZfQ6Y0i1MA

As you can see, I went with Hell March 2, because it seems to work better with the original In Our Town song, and that lead-in is exactly what I was looking for.

Anyways, nice meeting you.
DJ_Bonebraker

Primary: ACID Studio 10
Cutie Mark: FC rating symbol

Postby Paianni » 15 Jul 2017 06:28

I've probably introduced myself at some point in the distant past, but so much has changed since; I'm now a civil engineer apprentice, the days of music being my modus operandi have long gone. Most of the past five years I've actually spent getting to grips with digital audio and instruments, the tracks I've been working on from 2012 onwards have been littered with 'false starts' - I was unable to tell whether I had finished them, or I would be satisfied by their states in the future, so they were released countless times under many names, making barely a dent in the pony or non-pony music scene. To be honest, that is still the case now, but with every passing year I'm making less and less changes to them, so there is hope. The next time I feel I'm ready to share a large block of tracks started in 2012-2014, I will do so here.

My hobbies have also diversified greatly. In 2012, at age 15, they consisted of little more than my music, computing and...highways. Yes, that last one led me to my current job. These days I frequent /r/ukpolitics daily, I bought a book about the Lojban language which, once the second version is complete, I may make a valiant effort to become proficient with. Back in 2012 I had just started off with a rather off-piste Linux distribution for most of my computing uses, nowadays I'm on the verge of ditching Linux for the most part for OpenBSD. The block of specs in my profile are partly anticipatory of a PC project that I am on the cusp of finishing but has been a sad tale of continuous motherboard returns. The goal is to maintain an OpenBSD installation for any internet-related and productivity tasks, for security, and to maintain a non-connected Slackware installation (with a realtime kernel) on the same PC, which I will use for media work.

Even though I haven't watched the show for two years, I'm still actively involved in a segment of the Friendship Is Magic community. You may have heard of a virtuoso musician who went by the name of SoGreatandPowerful for years. To this day there is a sub-culture surrounding him, having heavily influenced more than a dozen other artists. He disappeared, almost without trace, for almost three years, then returned under the name of Mirrors for Princes in January of this year. I was in a fortunate position to have bookmarked the RSS address for the Tumblr page in advance, which meant I was possibly the second person to hear the song he posted there, reblogged it and shared it on /r/SGaP, and received a great deal of respect in return.

Phew, so that's my life, I guess. :P
Paianni

Postby amelyK » 15 Jan 2020 03:12

Hey guys!!! I'm a huge fan of Princess Luna from New York, I would like to keep in touch with all of you
amelyK

Primary: Ableton

Postby siyatalerja » 09 Mar 2020 04:20

Thanks for the information
siyatalerja

Primary: Not yet specified.

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion