Official Discussion Thread (Ghost Edit)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Official Dish Cushion Thread

Postby Acsii » 18 Feb 2016 03:41

Bronies Are Cool wrote:Speaking of compression: anyone know of any good tutorials or videos talks about compression and mixing in action? Most videos I have seen are done by n00bZ and generally aren't super helpful beyond getting that first step into the concept.

I'll let you know my approach, Slow attack, Fast Release, set threshold, Set Ratio, I generally do 4:1 on vox because I'm so used to use an 1176 but, once I have the ratio set I'll then adjust the Attack and Release until I like the sound of it's effect, then I'll adjust the makeup gain, from there I'll turn it on and off multiple times at multiple points of the song to make sure I like the sound of it. Also I mostly do EQ before comping, just because EQ can make some harmonic frequency stand out and comps can bring them under control a bit.

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Pro audio files on YouTube are pretty good in my experience. They always demo on commercial jobs they're doing and they're reasonably easy to follow

+1 for Pro Audio Files.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Ricky Denzel » 18 Feb 2016 14:03

Acsii wrote:
Bronies Are Cool wrote:Speaking of compression: anyone know of any good tutorials or videos talks about compression and mixing in action? Most videos I have seen are done by n00bZ and generally aren't super helpful beyond getting that first step into the concept.

I'll let you know my approach, Slow attack, Fast Release, set threshold, Set Ratio, I generally do 4:1 on vox because I'm so used to use an 1176 but, once I have the ratio set I'll then adjust the Attack and Release until I like the sound of it's effect, then I'll adjust the makeup gain, from there I'll turn it on and off multiple times at multiple points of the song to make sure I like the sound of it. Also I mostly do EQ before comping, just because EQ can make some harmonic frequency stand out and comps can bring them under control a bit.

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Pro audio files on YouTube are pretty good in my experience. They always demo on commercial jobs they're doing and they're reasonably easy to follow

+1 for Pro Audio Files.

And now I regret coming back. See you in 6 more months
Never Validating My Bastardizing Remedy
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Triangle with an eye

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 18 Feb 2016 15:38

Um. Well then goodbye?????
Bronies Are Cool

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby Acsii » 18 Feb 2016 19:44

Ricky Denzel wrote:
Acsii wrote:

+1 for Pro Audio Files.

huh???
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 18 Feb 2016 19:55

Ricky Denzel wrote:
Acsii wrote:

+1 for Pro Audio Files.

Ricky confirmed for hating learning.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 19 Feb 2016 11:13

I had a pretty nice conversation to an older gentleman in his 40s about music. The last he really knew about electronic music, everything was still called techno or house. I was able to show him some modern house, different kinds of house, and help him distinguish between different types of electronic music like house, trap, dubstep, drum and bass, etc.
it was pretty cool because I was not expecting him to be so interested in knowing that and listening. I was also able to talk about being a bedroom producer and how it's still something that takes talent, even if it's a different talent than playing an instrument live.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 19 Feb 2016 14:39

Speaking of music, I had lunch at a restaurant that had a jukebox you can control with an app.
So, naturally, I decided it would be funny to play the same song over and over again.
So, after about 40 minutes of listening to Clocks by Coldplay, people started to notice. The workers thought the jukebox was broke.
They had the ability to manually over ride the song and play whatever they wanted. So, they switched the song. And I had the ability to interrupt, so I interrupted their song after about 10 seconds and switched it back.
Then, I let their song play for a while to let them think they won, and then I striked again. Their reactions were glorious. Just getting loud and frustrated and it was genuinely funny. They weren't actually mad, but they were sure as anything to be really confused.
Eventually, they just switched to a regular radio.
But, after an hour of my reign, I had to leave. I left a tip for them of almost 100% of my meal, so that should make up for it. I also left a note saying that I hope they liked my "playlist"
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Acsii » 19 Feb 2016 23:43

That is absolutely glorious I love doing stuff like that when I'm at the radio station, I can hijack the playback to the studio from my desk.
Acsii

Postby Jokeblue » 21 Feb 2016 07:05

Guess who's still aliiiiiiiiiive

It's me. Yay hi I guess. Ok bye.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby LFP » 21 Feb 2016 15:29

Nooo don't leave me jokabluuuu
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Acsii » 21 Feb 2016 20:15

Jokeblue wrote:Guess who's still aliiiiiiiiiive

It's me. Yay hi I guess. Ok bye.

pfft already knew you weren't dead... you know because of Facebook :P
Acsii

Postby Jokeblue » 21 Feb 2016 21:33

Well in terms of forum activity I've been pretty dead haha. We'll see if that changes or not tho
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 22 Feb 2016 15:45

Well. I'm officially addicted to playing the Pokemon Card game as well now. After having learned the official rules, I started playing and it's incredibly fun.
And also free. You can download it for free on your computer or iPad. So yea, no need to invest real money in it to see if you like it.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby LFP » 22 Feb 2016 19:06

Used to play as a kid but now I barely play games at all, music is keeping me busy all the time ^^
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 24 Feb 2016 17:26

So Australia just followed Colorado's footsteps for legalizing medical marijuana.
Australians, how do you feel?
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Acsii » 25 Feb 2016 00:15

Bronies Are Cool wrote:So Australia just followed Colorado's footsteps for legalizing medical marijuana.
Australians, how do you feel?

No different it's not like it makes it legal for me to have weed now...
Although it could mean the street price may drop slightly
Acsii

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 26 Feb 2016 14:26

I just did some CPR training and other first aid training.
I just hope that nobody I know need some CPR because I don't wanna have to literally break their ribs to have to save their lives.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby FLAOFEI » 26 Feb 2016 16:52

ExoBassTix wrote:
FLAOFEI wrote:Did I ever tell you about a weird tradition at my school? I probably did ,just not this specific one.
In the student organisation we have meetings every so often. We also have a post in the organisation which basically translates to Governer of music. The job of the Governer of music is to, at these meetings, drink 4 beers and then perform a song! I got chosen to be Governer of Music last meeting, and tge first meeting of the year is coming up in February! This is gonna be hilarious! XD

Get someone to capture it on video or record it, I need this.

I didn't get it recorded, sorry :P It happened though, and it was awesome!
I performed 2 songs, on ukulele and vocals. First song was "Livet är ett helvete" by Povel Rammel, with an extra verse written by me. The song is basically about why life is a living hell, with observations like 'we get older every day', 'when you think your problems are over, new problems are waitin just around the next corner', and my favourite, 'every song has a bad refrain'. It's an awesome song... In swedish. My verse was about uni being hell. They seemed to enjoy it.
The other song was in english. And was this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRY9Ybi5zqI
They didn't like that one quite as much as the first one though.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 02 Mar 2016 10:25

Adulthood is forcing yourself to eat healthy, even if I don't wanna.
Got a wedding to go to, and a few pounds I gotta lose.
Hopefully, this won't be mission impossible for me.

Update: lost six pounds in one week. If I keep my progress, I should be where I wanna be by the wedding.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Toothpaste » 05 Mar 2016 16:07

Bronies Are Cool wrote:Adulthood is forcing yourself to eat healthy, even if I don't wanna.

Is that what it's like? I didn't sign up for this ;-;

When adulthood gives you logic, don’t make brussel sprouts. Make adulthood take the brussels back! Get mad! I don’t want your darn brussels, what the heck am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see adulthood’s manager! Make logic rue the day it thought it could give irrisponsible skrubs brussels! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your healthy choices down! With the brussels! I’m gonna get my homies to invent a combustible brussel that burns your logic down!
Minty Fresh Productions!:
Toothpaste / PinkE_PartE / 18 Offence / Meyer / Thy60
PLEASE MESSAGE ME 4 DA COLLAB AND STUFFS owo
Check out my 'music' on YouTube and feel free to add me on Skype! --> thy.60
<insert wisdom>
Toothpaste

Primary: FL Studio Mobile
Cutie Mark: I'll figure it out someday.

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 05 Mar 2016 19:17

Toothpaste wrote:
Bronies Are Cool wrote:Adulthood is forcing yourself to eat healthy, even if I don't wanna.

Is that what it's like? I didn't sign up for this ;-;

When adulthood gives you logic, don’t make brussel sprouts. Make adulthood take the brussels back! Get mad! I don’t want your darn brussels, what the heck am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see adulthood’s manager! Make logic rue the day it thought it could give irrisponsible skrubs brussels! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your healthy choices down! With the brussels! I’m gonna get my homies to invent a combustible brussel that burns your logic down!

Yea. Then reality hits.
Which, unfortunately, ultimately, you can't escape.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 06 Mar 2016 21:46

It's just willpower really. Exercise it and it gets stronger.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 07 Mar 2016 12:56

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:It's just willpower really. Exercise it and it gets stronger.

Indeed.
I also grew up with an eating disorder. And I still have an irrational opinion on food. It sucks.
It's like being scared of the dark. Rationally, I know that there really isn't anything to be afraid of.
And with this eating healthy, rationally I should be able to do it. I just have a hard time.
Sucks to try to explain. Because I don't really know how to explain it.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Acsii » 07 Mar 2016 13:43

Bronies Are Cool wrote:
Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:It's just willpower really. Exercise it and it gets stronger.

Indeed.
I also grew up with an eating disorder. And I still have an irrational opinion on food. It sucks.
It's like being scared of the dark. Rationally, I know that there really isn't anything to be afraid of.
And with this eating healthy, rationally I should be able to do it. I just have a hard time.

In a way it's like anxiety and/or depression, really you know nothing's wrong but you can't do anything about it, your body just says no
Acsii

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 09 Mar 2016 09:19

Acsii wrote:
Bronies Are Cool wrote:

Indeed.

In a way it's like anxiety and/or depression, really you know nothing's wrong but you can't do anything about it, your body just says no

Kind of.
It's like, I know I don't dislike apples. I'm not a huge fan of them, but they're alright.
Someone gives me an apple. It takes a lot of mental strain to eat it. And I don't even know why.
In my head, I know that really the only thing I am not a fan of about apples is the texture. It tastes fine.
But, that's logical me.
The subconscious me say to not eat it.
I really don't know how to explain that.
It sounds really dumb, and to someone who hasn't experienced this before, it might be hard to try to understand it.
Like for me, it's hard to understand people who have identity issues because I can't relate.
And so, I don't really expect anyone to really understand what I'm trying to say.
Because even to me, I hardly understand it. But I kind of don't. Because I feel like it shouldn't be difficult to eat something other than what I do. Idk.
Bronies Are Cool

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion