How do you guys collab online?

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

How do you guys collab online?

Postby NightmareRare » 03 Nov 2014 04:35

Hey guys!

So I've being wondering, how do you guy go about collaborating over the web to make a full song? Skype, screen share, and write/render/send are some ways I thought might work but I'd really appreciate some insight from some people who have experience working over the net with a partner. Thanks!
Hayden Wired
Twitter Time!
Facebook Friend Machine!
---
" I never fell apart because I guess I never really fell together."
- Andy Warhol
NightmareRare

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Cup of Coffee

Re: How do you guys collab online?

Postby CitricAcid » 03 Nov 2014 05:45

I've only had one collab work out, but I think this is a good system to follow:

1) You do half the work.
2) Contact the person you want to collab with via PM. If they say no, contact someone else via PM.
3) They do the other half of the work.

Personally I think it's a bad idea to ask someone to collab before completing any work or to ask for a collab via public post. As for communicating, if you can't share project files, I would print stems and send those to your collab partner. And Skype of course for saying howdy and whatnot.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby NightmareRare » 03 Nov 2014 19:24

Thanks that's a good idea! I'll have to try that out.
Hayden Wired
Twitter Time!
Facebook Friend Machine!
---
- Andy Warhol
NightmareRare

Postby Callenby » 03 Nov 2014 20:36

Communication is key. I cannot stress this enough. You need to be able to communicate with your partner.

Whenever I do a collab, I try and hash out my ideas and expectations with my partner and adjust accordingly. Set out goals for yourselves. Figure out who's going to work on what beforehand. If you wait to do this, you might end up getting loaded with more work than you ever really agreed to.

If relevant, I'll provide examples of the kind of songs or tones I'm thinking of.

I use Dropbox to send over WIPs or stems. Sometimes I've made close to a dozen WIPs before finally being done.

Collaboration = communication, basically.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby NightmareRare » 04 Nov 2014 03:18

Yeah I can see communication being real important. Especially online. I guess this is where networking skills really pay there dues, thanks for the pointer Callenby!
Hayden Wired
Twitter Time!
Facebook Friend Machine!
---
- Andy Warhol
NightmareRare

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 04 Nov 2014 04:13

Callenby wrote:Collaboration = communication, basically.

Why I'm bad at collaborations in 3 words
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby phaux » 05 Nov 2014 13:46

If you're both using the same DAW use a file sync program to sync the project file.
I've been using Pulse for this, but I'm going to try Sparkle Share for the next collab.
There's also Bitwig Studio which promised to have collab functionality built-in after version 1.0, but last time I checked, it wasn't there yet.
phaux

Primary: Frooty Loops, FamiTracker
Cutie Mark: (´・ω・`)

Postby FLAOFEI » 06 Nov 2014 02:02

I've only done one successful colab, so I'm hardly an expert on the topic... But i can say skype is good, and it makesit easier if your already friends and talk/ chat alot anyway.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Injustrial » 09 Nov 2014 17:16

I've tried several and I've had about a 50/50 success rate with them. So far, the ones I've started myself have been mostly successful when they're close to halfway done. I let the person know what I was thinking, what I think is missing from the track etc.

The ones I've gotten a request to do have been a mixed bag. I've gotten a few that was very fleshed out and just needed that extra little something to be done with. They've gone very well, for the most part (I'm sorry Freewave. I'll get to it, I swear) Others have been more... varied. And I sometimes just don't have the heart to say outright "This is really bad and unsaveable, and I can't work with this"
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby JSynth » 29 Nov 2014 15:15

When I did a collab with That Music Brony, I basically approached him and said "dude lets collab". Then we added each other on skype and started sending midi files back and fourth. I doubt every collab runs that smoothly, but its the only full on collab that I have done.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Freewave » 29 Nov 2014 15:38

It varies drastically I've found and every song may be different. Having skype, forum pm's, or emails you can shoot back and forth is essential. Dropbox (best for sharing and updating the same stems) or mediafire for immediate file sharing. If you're using the same DAw and vsts thats awesome but it can be hard if you're both musicians that does make it difficult. Having a vocalist do the vocal part and a musician the remainder is far easier. Some collabs went on for close to a year (Romantic Tragedy, my collab with Injustrial :???: :lol: ) while others were finished in just a few weeks (Breakfast in Bed, Be Assertive). Each is different from the last in some way.

Communication is extremely important. Funny thing is how many people will do a collab and then never want to again (buck and run i guess) and some you may collab with time and time again. With the Maressey project i gave some of the more well known vocalists extra time as they appeared to need it..... some came through and others have put me off for months and likely won't get me anything in the end (ie we only seem to playing skype tag). Giving them too few reminders can backfire as musicians often just do not juggle time well.

If you have a good rapport that's a much better chance of success but if they love using the "do not disturb buton", beware. But others were much more immediate, went to work immediately, and were willing to redo sections that were off. Try to work with those people as tbh I'd rather work with someone less well known who clearly has the skills and talent and is making the effort then someone who's always unavailable and busy but popular (although EQD may say differently). One last thing is be sure you are both happy before you release the track, you can't undo an unrelease and if the mix or some element of it is underwhelming then the damage is done....
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby JSynth » 01 Dec 2014 17:57

Freewave wrote:One last thing is be sure you are both happy before you release the track, you can't undo an unrelease and if the mix or some element of it is underwhelming then the damage is done....

I have lost sleep because I made this mistake.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice