Mac, PC or Linux?

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Re: Mac, PC or Linux?

Postby LFP » 12 Dec 2013 16:03

Seedling wrote:Another reason why I don't like Apple. They seem to have gotten used to dominating the market. It seems like they honestly don't care much what they do, cause they know people will still buy their products unless they start having children for their Sunday roast or something.

The fact that they used to not care was the reason I got into apple stuff and started working for them.
The fact that they now care (A LOT) is what made me dislike the company and quit my job..

Apple was such a cool company not too long ago designing what they wanted and not what the market wanted.
When the iPhone came out it was amazing and completely revolutionized everything, now it's even more "pricy" and there's hardly anything new other than better performance via better hardware (you don't even want to know how much it's costs them to make an iPhone today compared to what it costed when they first came out..).
Today apple abuses their fame to the max, they have unhuman demands on their employees (just because it's the "coolest" place to work and one of the most demanded jobs on the market) and limits the potential of their products so much...

Despite all this, they still make darn good products, in my eyes Mac OS/Linux completely dominates windows in all areas other than the potentioal freedom you have (this isn't true for Linux though I guess :P) with the OS.
If you don't care that much about the extra price etc I'd totally recommend it I'd argue that they're overpriced but not as overpriced as people say they are (people overlook a lot of stuff)!
It's just that apple really ruins it when they for an example: don't allow you to custmize your hardware just to be able to buy their computers super cheap..

I like to tell people that I started working for a company that wanted to make great products and quit a company that wanted to make great profit. (This is getting so cheesy haha)

TLDR:
Apple: makes amazing products, but is a terrible company.

of course this all is just my opinion and my assumptions, if you want to argue any other then go ahead ^^
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Pulse Wave » 12 Oct 2014 15:31

My current personal recommendation for Linux for music is KXStudio on Debian.

Ubuntu has been feeling like some overweight behemoth for quite a while already, even more so since 14.04. Even Xubuntu seems to be a resource hog for no apparent reason. In comparison to *buntu, Debian actually feels slim and lightweight.

So which Debian to use?

If you want your system to be rock-solid and stable and don't care for the latest software releases, use Wheezy (stable). Ditto if you think you absolutely must have a rt-preempt kernel (3.16 hasn't been released with a rt-preempt patch yet, and I'm not sure if it ever will, and 3.16 is the current testing kernel).

If you prefer more up-to-date software, and if you can cope with the occasional hiccup within the package management, use Jessie (testing); if you're really daring, use Sid (unstable) which is really bleeding-edge. I recommend Aptitude for accessing the package management.

As for desktop environments, if you're running a hexa-core Haswell or some similar powerhouse, you might want to choose KDE. KXStudio blends pretty well with it. On the other hoof, if you want to make music with a ThinkPad that sill has "IBM" written on it, Xfce is the way to go, maybe even Openbox which is just a window manager and possible but difficult to customize in-depth while not as pretty as Xfce.

Fair warning: Debian requires some more manual configuration after installing than Ubuntu or Mint, and Debian might ask you for some firmware necessary for certain hardware drivers (especially Wi-Fi) because these proprietary binary blobs aren't delivered with Debian.

The KXStudio repositories can be slapped onto every Debian from Wheezy on. I myself use it on Jessie.
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Postby NightmareRare » 02 Nov 2014 03:53

I volunteer Mac for tribute. I started with a PC and FL studio originally, there's some defiant perks to using pc (such as loads of awesome freeware VSTs) but I'm not the first to run into stability problems with them.

I think it really comes down to your preferences and what you comfortable with, cause I mean really if you spend the $1800 you'd spend on a macbook on a well designed intel based PC instead. The performance you get will differ very little.
Hayden Wired
Twitter Time!
Facebook Friend Machine!
---
" I never fell apart because I guess I never really fell together."
- Andy Warhol
NightmareRare

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Cup of Coffee

Postby eery » 02 Nov 2014 11:41

I dropped like 1300$ on my macbook (had to get one for school), and it runs worse than my computer that I got for like 900$. Like it stutters very much, and I have to close a bunch of stuff just to run Logic.

But also Logic is disgusting.
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby Stuntddude » 03 Nov 2014 08:11

NightmareRare wrote:I think it really comes down to your preferences and what you comfortable with, cause I mean really if you spend the $1800 you'd spend on a macbook on a well designed intel based PC instead. The performance you get will differ very little.

Hah... good joke. The 1800 USD you'd spend on a proper desktop PC could get you a behemoth of a computer these days. Like, eight-core, top-of-the-line graphics card, 16 GB RAM, a few terabytes of HDD space, dual monitors if you want, etc. Not some weaksauce 2-4 core laptop.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby HoztileManikyn » 04 Nov 2014 19:48

I prefer PC, (mainly because I'm an a+ certified tech, and like to screw around with hardware)
Mac, you can do this to, if you love voiding warranties.
Linux, I have no idea, but I've heard good things.

If you go to TigerDirect, you can get some good deals on hardware.
(I hand pick every part for my system)

8 GB Ram, quad core, slammin graphics board, awesome audio board, and it only cost around $1200
(you can view the full specs of my system on my profile)
At First I was like (C:) , but then I was like (D:)
https://www.soundcloud.com/hoztil

Follow me on Twitter @HoztileManikyn
Email: [email protected]
HoztileManikyn

Primary: FL Studio, Audacity
Cutie Mark: Three radial bass clefs

Postby phaux » 05 Nov 2014 14:17

Linux if you're willing to learn a lot about how shit works, which is what you ultimately should do.
Mac if you want it to just werk™
Windows if you're a masochist or gaymer and like to get viruses.
phaux

Primary: Frooty Loops, FamiTracker
Cutie Mark: (´・ω・`)

Postby Stuntddude » 05 Nov 2014 16:53

Linux isn't about learning how things work, it's about learning how to make them work. If you want to learn how things work, switching operating systems is not the way to go about it.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Paianni » 16 May 2015 13:53

I'm bumping this thread because I finally figured out how to make Rosegarden work with different synths at the same time (through JACK of course) and I'm very chuffed because I think it's a considerable step to getting myself off my MacBook Pro plus Logic setup.

I still wouldn't use Rosegarden as a primary DAW as some features are either non-existant or too complicated, for example automation. I would pay a considerable amount for Ardour or Bitwig if I get serious enough. But ZynAddSubFX and Hydrogen especially are excellent programs and there are enough plugins available to fill in the main gaps left by no VST support.
Paianni

Postby Pulse Wave » 19 May 2015 00:07

Yep, even as far as sample libraries are concerned, there's a lot of great stuff available as Soundfonts, SFZ or in GigaSampler format, all of which can be used in LinuxSampler.

By the way, anyone checked out Ardour 4 yet? Looks very good so far, and it's faster than Ardour 3. Windows version is under way, but be warned, it won't work as a full stand-in for FL Studio.
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Postby Paianni » 19 May 2015 01:33

There is a Windows version available, Harrison Mixbus, though this is a commercial product with proprietary features. I believe the author wants to avoid Windows as much as possible, as it would create too much pressure on him, or something like that.
Paianni

Previous

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice