Review the track(s) above you

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby DJGaugen » 17 Jun 2014 22:44

RCYouKnowMe wrote:O.K. I feel greaful. This is better since last time... Loud high hats? O.K. O.K. I know a few tricks with the kick.
only thing I'm confused about is "Gut" Like... too raw? Is that what it means? everything after 2:30... so for around two minutes I was organized. This is very helpful thank you.

"Gut" is slang for "good" hahah.
DAW: Ableton Live
VST's: NI Komplete 9 (set)
Genre(s): Dubstep / Electro
DJGaugen

Primary: Ableton Live
Cutie Mark: Audacity

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 18 Jun 2014 18:54

Oh, thx then. I looked up 'papo and yo'... musics great bad message though: "Druken Dad? Push him off a cliff!" Oy nonononono. My dad had issues, but he changed. But I'm rambling here.
Hyōka isn't real, and neither is that spoon from the matrix!
RCYouKnowMe

Primary: Audacity w/Musescore, VSTHOST, Ansine 2, DrumBurst, and real intruments: Yamaha YS-7, Guitar, Clarinet.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Injustrial » 20 Jun 2014 18:29

RCYouKnowMe wrote:,,,S anyway...
COuld someone review this one>
https://soundcloud.com/dominic-joseph-rico/manually

OK, I don't know what you were going for here, but I'll just be honest.

This sounds like random noise to me. Guitar plucks in no real scale, some weird microphone rubbing and some sort of rhythm placement. I've heard a lot of academic music, a lot of expressionistic noise and modernistic audio project. This doesn't strike me as either. It's just.... sounds... I might not be getting this, and if so I apologize. It's just random sounds to my ear. I'm sure someone more into these types of projects can be more helpful.

Mine:
https://soundcloud.com/injustrial/march-of-the-herd/s-7Hmdf
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Kenny Tweek » 21 Jun 2014 01:39

Your song sounds really awesome, very good mixing and well executed, tho, there is some parts (for me) when the vocals disappear in the instrumental, and dunno, some parts of the instrumental (except for the drums) sounds a little bit louder than I think it should, which makes some words kinda hard to understand... This can be my ear, so don't take it for life... It's my personal opinion, you can do whatever you want with your songs since you think it's good. :3
But in general, it's really good, so is all your songs. I would give this one a 9/10. ^-^

Ahn, I would love to get some feedback in this song, if you guys don't mind... :I
So, before calling me names, I would also like to explain that this is a comedy song. The whole thing is in the video description...
And well, this is the first song I produced since I finished learning and practicing with WIPs (tho I still learning and practicing, but now doing actually songs), and I want to know what to improve, both in the song (for the album) and in my producing in general... So, here it is, enjoy. :V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDrFcrpBpEs

There's also a thread, if you want... :V
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9805
Tell me, what's that thing called "talent"? Do you really think you born with it? Or do you think you learn it with time and dedication?

So yeah, me around the internet.

Youtube (Brony)
Facebook
Soundcloud
Kenny Tweek

Cutie Mark: Guitar and Vocals

Postby FlightRushOfficial » 23 Jun 2014 20:01

Kenny Tweek wrote:

Your song sounds really awesome, very good mixing and well executed, tho, there is some parts (for me) when the vocals disappear in the instrumental, and dunno, some parts of the instrumental (except for the drums) sounds a little bit louder than I think it should, which makes some words kinda hard to understand... This can be my ear, so don't take it for life... It's my personal opinion, you can do whatever you want with your songs since you think it's good. :3
But in general, it's really good, so is all your songs. I would give this one a 9/10. ^-^

Ahn, I would love to get some feedback in this song, if you guys don't mind... :I
So, before calling me names, I would also like to explain that this is a comedy song. The whole thing is in the video description...
And well, this is the first song I produced since I finished learning and practicing with WIPs (tho I still learning and practicing, but now doing actually songs), and I want to know what to improve, both in the song (for the album) and in my producing in general... So, here it is, enjoy. :V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDrFcrpBpEs

There's also a thread, if you want... :V
http://www.mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9805

You need to work on your singing. It's a bit outta pitch. I dunno if it's supposed to be like that since it's a comedy song, but if not, you should work on that. The structure is good. I definitely wasn't bored throughout the song! Also maybe you could add some more effects to your instruments to make it sound less like a MIDI and more realistic. Some reverb helps a little. Butt keep at it!

Well here are a few of my tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WByCGHZDICk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q1YjC2xCaI

The first one is pretty old, but remastered. The second is fairly recent. I need some feedback!
FlightRushOfficial

Primary: Ableton Live
Cutie Mark: Dubstep

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 28 Jun 2014 18:38

track one...Ohhhh. Nice nice nice. Chorus saw... good reverbuusage...now the bass... I feel confidence. The drums sound classic. Nice nice nice. Whoah. that's some gooooood glitch. Nice use of vocals. now a saw solo. sth saw I think? Oh now here's that reverb vibes in the back. Ohhhh that vocal so nice. back to one...cutoff/fadeout. ends on a good note. Those little wibs there near the beginning were great. It's those ones that sound like a very low voice. 9/10
round 2: building upppp... houseish. good off beat. High pitch build up. downsample possibly. there it is the wubs. snare build up. Ohh it's still fast in the drop. Detailed background. O.K now a break. sine flirp...slow down with saw solo... I think lfo filter to. here it comes...no another break. kick buildup this time. I loke that secondary wub. Tune in with first melody plus...oh now fade out. Again very confident. You aren't afraid to get noisy I like it. Not over filtered something I noticed.
9/10 again.
I guess advice: well I like everything. that't not very useful. oh you know what you could add? a vocal/raw instrument solo or two. Otherwise I can't think of nothing...and that's just my opinion really it's not necessary.\

Here's mine: https://soundcloud.com/dominic-joseph-r ... e-pavement
Hyōka isn't real, and neither is that spoon from the matrix!
RCYouKnowMe

Primary: Audacity w/Musescore, VSTHOST, Ansine 2, DrumBurst, and real intruments: Yamaha YS-7, Guitar, Clarinet.

Postby Stakeout Punch » 05 Jul 2014 20:24

@Kenny Tweek - Lyra's Butt
Very interesting concept, the story behind the song sounds like it was funny. Your vocal work is okay, but there are a few spots where you need to work on your pitch. But! MASSIVE KUDOS for actually recording yourself and shamelessly posting it. Not a whole lot of people are willing to do that, whether it be for fear of criticism, lack of equipment, or any other combination of them just not doing it. As for the actual song, a few elements (like the guitar that comes in around 3:36) also sound out of key. While the song does flow, a couple of instruments (like the piano) tend to get very repetitive. Overall it is alright, you're on the right track. First track? Much more impressive than my first song!

@FlightRush - Da Magics
Neat intro! OT the visualizer is pretty neat. The song is constructed and mixed well. I really don't have any criticism other than the song does not seem to have a coherent theme, not does the name seem to have much to do with the song - but those aren't specifically about the song itself.
Lazer Flight
I like the mute effect in the intro. Once again, I can't think of anything that sounds off to me. Solid tune!

@RCYouKnowMe - Breaking The Pavement
The intro has a couple of notes that do not seem to fit in well. I think this track is considerably better than some of the other tracks you've posted. But no sequencing? That makes me curious - I see that you use Audacity, but how are you using it? I'm assuming you have physical things you are recording, or something else you are playing in real time. Once the song gets going full swing it sounds kinda like background game music. The song does have a hint of chaos in it - random hits, a semi-random progression as the song goes on, just the feel in general. I don't know if it is on purpose or not. Keep making stuff though, practice is the best way to improve, right after studying!

============================================================================================
Here is my song, Sequence. I'm going for more of a boss battle sound in this one, that is part of the reason it loops and is a tad repetitive. I'm not sure if the structure is finished, if I come up with something I may add more to it. Finally, I know the drums need some more variation, I have just been too lazy to track them again.
https://soundcloud.com/evanhroberts/sequence-wip/s-7Uyzw
============================================================================================
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
Stakeout Punch

Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Postby Glitchhog » 10 Jul 2014 19:59

@Punch: If you were going for 'boss battle', then kudos, you hit the mark perfectly. Sounds pretty crisp, but lacks depth imo. A bit too repetitive. Adding new melodies as the song progresses would be a good way of keeping things fresh before winding down a bit towards the end so it loops perfectly. Just my thoughts.

Here's mine. A potential opener for my upcoming EP now that I have at least three tracks I'm happy with. A bit different to my usual style, but people seem to like it so far. I've barely sent it around. I should get onto that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_OvFGeY-3c
Australian-based Electrohouse producer. Check out my YouTube or SoundCloud for music, or help me out by donating.
Glitchhog

Cutie Mark: Electrohouse

Postby Acsii » 11 Jul 2014 01:58

Glitchhog wrote:@Punch: If you were going for 'boss battle', then kudos, you hit the mark perfectly. Sounds pretty crisp, but lacks depth imo. A bit too repetitive. Adding new melodies as the song progresses would be a good way of keeping things fresh before winding down a bit towards the end so it loops perfectly. Just my thoughts.

Here's mine. A potential opener for my upcoming EP now that I have at least three tracks I'm happy with. A bit different to my usual style, but people seem to like it so far. I've barely sent it around. I should get onto that.

I love it. The mix of piano and synths is brilliant. I think it's a perfect intro for an EP.
No track from me this time.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Feral FurE » 11 Jul 2014 23:08

@RCYouKnowMe for Dominic Joseph Rico – Breaking the Pavement
Sounds like a very 8-bit acid trip. Like something I’d see on Regular Show. Getting more into it, it sounds like a deformed machine producing what it considers to be day-to-day life. The melodic composition does not hint at me much beyond nonsensical and mindless mechanical movements, like everyone is a robot doing the same thing day in and day out. A commentary on society. The sound effects that seem more like percussion solidify the mechanistic movements even more with the tempo reinforcing the mechanistic and repetitive movements of everyday life. The ending in particular is very interesting. The feedback delay effect that makes me think of a stuttering engine, then transitioning to that acoustic guitar section adds on a very uncertain element to the song.

@Stakeout Punch for Stakeout Ponch – Sequence (WIP)
Definitely achieved the boss fight feeling with the intro. Slow build with the arpeggio conjures images of some looming and rapidly approaching dramatic event. The drums kicking in took away from this as I was sort of expecting a driving snare and dramatic “thunder drums” of sorts. At about 1:29 it feels a lot more like a mini boss fight. The quick staccato notes with the synth certainly set the mood for the bit but it was not as crazy hyped as I would feel in a massive boss fight. The brass sounding synths definitely contribute, perhaps a different articulation instead of legato notes, where marcato was used, this would definitely elevate the track to a much larger scale boss fight.

@Glitchhog for Avenir – Rockets!
Love the piano intro with the time piece metronome of sorts keeping the tempo. The title of Rockets! does not aid much in trying to form imagery or understand what theme you are trying to focus on, but this gives me plenty of room to formulate my own images and I certainly am. Images of peaceful, serene nostalgia.

The synths sound a little too high shelved at 1:31, seems a little too bright and skinny and not as full as it could be when using a hypersaw like that, some EQ’ing of the mid range can definitely do something. The build sounded very much like progressive house but ended up being a little too slow for progressive house. Still has a very nice rhythm, despite the speed, and is very smooth. The melodic composition and choice of waveforms to use in the song tap into my love of electronic sound but spawn beautiful feelings of open fields billowing in the breeze. This is certainly aided even more by the heart beat sort of things near the end. The plane sound effect throws me off and I start thinking of departures and form images of nostalgia and moments past.

Very enjoyable!

The track I would like reviewed is one that has just been released on my [Hardstyle] For the Herd EP just today. It is one of my own compositions centering on Princess Luna and entangling trains of thought. It is a 150 bpm hardstyle track, 4 minutes and 50 seconds long with an extended DJ intro and outro with two main climaxes and one mid intro.
Found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl6Tse_neHI
One of the few hardstyle producers floating around this fandom woopwoop!

Chat me up and we can talk about moozics!
Feral FurE

Primary: FL Studio 11!
Cutie Mark: My CM doesn't work that way.

Postby eery » 12 Jul 2014 13:07

Feral FurE wrote:Found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl6Tse_neHI

Hardstyle is a huge hit or miss for me, and I think this is sadly a miss. A lot of the synth design is sorta undeveloped and theres a lot that sounds like pure waves(mostly the leads, the stabs and 303ish stuff going on is fine). I'd suggest working with distrotion and reverb way more on them.

The melodic breakdown really doesnt do it for me, the melodies are nice, but I find it too cheesy and unfitting, esspecially right after the first climax. there's also something about the simple new chord every bar that sorta trips me up, but that might just be me

The kick seems like it has a lowpass on it, which ruins a lot of the harmonics going on up in the higher freq area for me. I understand you wanna make space for the other stuff going on, but I feel you lose a lot of impact.

The voicesamples are typical of hardstyle, but I still dislike them, I dont feel they fit.

It's by no means a bad track, you've done good with the arrangement, both in melodic and in what sort of direction you've put it in, but it doesnt sound a bit bland and uninspired, plus as I mentioned, hardstyle is very much a hit or miss for me. Hope you dont take any of this too close to heart.

Stakeout Punch wrote:[b]
Here is my song, Sequence. I'm going for more of a boss battle sound in this one, that is part of the reason it loops and is a tad repetitive. I'm not sure if the structure is finished, if I come up with something I may add more to it. Finally, I know the drums need some more variation, I have just been too lazy to track them again.
https://soundcloud.com/evanhroberts/sequence-wip/s-7Uyzw

As you say, drums need work, just a little variation here and there. it sorta weirds me out that you have these drums along with everythign else sounding chiptuny, although that probably comes down to personal preference.

It does sound very boss battly. For a game or something, I dont think it would have been too repetive. I think I would have been fine with it if I was playing a game and focusing on that. At first, the intro bothered me a little, but now I think its fine

Pretty cool, liking this.

Glitchhog wrote:Here's mine. A potential opener for my upcoming EP now that I have at least three tracks I'm happy with. A bit different to my usual style, but people seem to like it so far. I've barely sent it around. I should get onto that.

I'm liking this one a lot, good use of fx, although I kinda dont understand what image a ticking clock along with wind is supposed to give (nitpicking) Really liking the chill vibes of the piano, good solid melodies.

It builds up super nicely too. I'm not feeling the chorus too much though.

The sidechain of that is really putting me off, it just sorta ruins the nice little freeform piano feel it had, and forces a 4 to the floor feel on it, which it doesnt change up and the constant white noise is really distracting(Which isnt sidechained?) I also feel as if the lead could be a little louder.

I also dont know if its the kick or if the snare is just hitting every time the kick is, but it sounds off to me.

All in all, I really really really liked the piano parts, but I was sorta dissapointed by the chorus, didnt feel it fit the song.

==========================================================================================
I tried venturing more into synth design, something I usually dont really do much off, so I started a remix of this. I'm sorta unexperienced in whatever genre this is supposed to be...(I was told moombah?) but idk, think its sounding sorta cool so far.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/765 ... %20edm.mp3
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby TheSkullX2 » 14 Jul 2014 20:14

@eery:Strange.I never heard this style of music before...

Anyway,the track is pretty catchy & the vocals sound quite cute.But it feels like they don't have any presence at all,being "ducked" by the synth sounds...

@Stakeout Punch:How should i put this...

The track is kind of "slow-paced" & lacked of dynamic...And that's pretty much all i could point out.

@Feral FurE:i don't know what to say...There's way too much distortion,it sound raspy & there's not even

orchestral part(an orchestra is far more than a piano)

Yay! I'm back with a new track
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hfjhjzstg11q ... an%27t.wav
I tried to change the structure for this one & nothing special so far tbh.
Last edited by TheSkullX2 on 16 Jul 2014 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
TheSkullX2

Primary: Fl Studio 11
Cutie Mark: A burning conduct baton

Postby Stakeout Punch » 16 Jul 2014 11:41

@Feral FurE
The intro sounds like a typical DJ friendly intro. I don't know if it's just me, but I can't understand the vocal snippets at all. I also am not recognizing a distinct melody, a typical feature of hardstyle. I hear the "background" synths, but none of them are super prominent. Nice piano, but it is no orchestra... Overall it is solid, it just has a few things here and there that could use a revisit. (But then again, isn't that true of all music?)

@eery
The only thing that I can think of that bothers me are the vocals at :44. They seem rushed/sped up(?) and there is one note that seems out of the key signature. Very cool! I dig.

@TheSkullX2
Dropbox 404 m8

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
My track this time around is even less finished than Sequence. I'm probably going to revamp some things towards the end of the song.
https://soundcloud.com/evanhroberts/rrrviv/s-Ee19s
Edit cause forgot to secret link
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
Stakeout Punch

Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Postby DJ TATCM » 17 Jul 2014 10:34

@Stakeout Punch
very nice i like synthwork (other than the slightly muddy stuff at beginning) itall makes my big booty wiggle like jason derulo except his presence is not in this track, thankfully
speaking of presence, though, i think your perc needs a little more. the variation in beat styles and the tempo change towards the end make this song really stand out, and the hairpin-style turns of phrase could have even more impact imo if the drums and stuff were LOWDER
but srsly idk much about this genre,s ill get to that later though

@TheSkullX2
idk the link works for me..
okay right off the bat the chord structure thing sounds quite a bit like "Sweet Dreams" by Eurythmics, although i just got to the guitar part which is fairly nice, a little variation on the guitar notes rather than simply blaring the tonic note of each chord wouldn't hurt at all though. overall i think the whole thing could benefit from more of the swampy reverb that was so prevalent in the genre you seem to be going for (idk the name). also, towards the beginning, the sort of ride cymbal sample seemed a little synthetic, not sure if that's what you were going for, but again, reverb will help make it blend in better. bring down the choir pad vox voice thingy and bring out the string pad slightly bc sadly i think that the high choir melody around 1:20 makes the whole thing a bit cheesy to be honest. you have a great basis however, and i adore the break section immediately after where you depart from the chord structure a bit

@eery
interested to know how you came up with the relatively chaotic cymbal ride pattern especially towards the beginning. it's quite unusual for moombah as far as i know, as are the vocals, which i also quite like. gives it a vibe not unlike "Sleeping Beauty" by Perfume (same key at least)
your synthwork is polished and well done, mixing is nice far as i can tell, vocals are enjoyable, overall great job! this is a matter of personal opinion (and bias as i just love piano), but seeing as a piano is already in the song, i'd love to see a full-on piano break like the one featured in "Basement Dweller Overture" by Lindsay Lowend (LOOK IT UP IF YOU HAVENT IT IS THE BEST DFDSDF)

sorry im really tired so if some of my critiques were contradictory or didnt make sense pls message me any complaints on here or skype or whatever thanks

now i dont know much about dnb uptempo stuff but pls tell me if im on the right track with this sounding? thanks again cheers
https://soundcloud.com/dj-tatcm/i-dont- ... t-im-doing

EDIT: pls listen to this one instead better version thanks https://soundcloud.com/dj-tatcm/ich
CommandSpry wrote:srbija never explore pleasure of sit :(

Vote for my remix here!
Soundcloud
BandCamp
YouTube
our love is stronger than a golden banana
DJ TATCM

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: trent reznor

Postby itroitnyah » 19 Jul 2014 12:15

@TheSkullX2

The big thing I would point out is transitions, since those seem to lack build up of energy, which consequently causes lack of energy in the parts that I'm assuming you're trying to make energetic, or are just in general very abrupt. The grunge bass guitar that you have jump in on occasion also sounds like it lacks something, and that it's far back in the mix. It could potentially benefit from adding a lower bass, EQing the low end up a bit, and/or removing some of the reverb.

@Stakeout Punch

The composition of the main lead doesn't make a whole lot of sense, almost like it was awkwardly composed. The bell pluck sounds the same way, but everything else sounds pretty decent. The highs sound like they're a bit muddy too, especially on the super saws and basses. It is quite interesting to listen to, and there's not much else I can say.

@DJ TATCM

On the hoover saw there's a lot of ducking. Too much sidechaining, or was it intentional? Certainly sounds like you're on the right track for dnb, sounds like a pretty decent WIP too.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Alright, now for my WIP. I'm super exited for this one because it's my first actual good sounding track where the drop isn't a bunch of random automation clips attached to random parts of the synths. I didn't have much in mind when composing it, but I put in more effort into the sound design and I think it sounds better than pretty much anything else I've made.

Dropbox link.

I should also mention that at the beginning there's a problem with the automation clip not coming into play for some reason, so ignore that very first super saw lol.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby KillerAmp » 22 Jul 2014 02:34

First off holy sh*t i haven't been here in a long, long time.
Secondly time for reviews! (also is it alright if i post 3 short wip's in return for reviewing 3 different tracks? I hope so because thats what im gonna do ._.)

@Feral FurE
You've got the composition down but the mixing and the sound design on this one make it fall flat. This is the real issue when it comes to hardstyle is that its really easy to mess up but when you get it right its like, really good. Just keep at it and the track will get there!

@eery
I love the melodies and the vocal sample is pretty cool but some of the synths are just too intrusive/busy. They prevent the melody from standing out IMO. You've definitely got the melodic ability, just practice a bit more with sound design and just play around with a ton of different sounds, generally lead sounds dont have to be that complex, you can hardly ever go wrong with a single layer lead!

@Avenir
yessss, i love it, the whole build and everything! The only thing i can really find 'wrong" (not really the right word) is that the movement in the melody that's stacked over the chords during the energetic part kinda fights the backbeat you get in this kinda music, its not necessarily bad but when its the only thing playing it throws off the feeling just a little bit. otherwise fantastic man!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
Alright so here we go:
https://soundcloud.com/nikomusicstuff/aegd working with some 160 chill stuff thats gonna build into a huge energising dnb/drumstep drop (maybe)

https://soundcloud.com/nikomusicstuff/feelings/s-hmyAa Some chords and really bad synths im going to change but im really just looking on critique on the chords. I'm trying to put more emotion into my tracks haha! (this is lacking in energy where it needs energy but i think thats the synth's fault not the chords.)

https://soundcloud.com/nikomusicstuff/c ... ff/s-Scu4T another chord progression thing, this one's going to be a collab that'll build into a big house drop
good bad ect, pls tell me :D

I did all these over the course of like 3 hours tonight so feel free to tell me everything you DONT like as well as everything you do, there isnt all that much time invested in these yet so im not attached to them :P
KillerAmp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Feels

Postby Ryanlauph » 28 Jul 2014 11:34

Aegd: Nice mixdown; maybe you can add more variation and stuff every 4 bars to keep the interest of your audience. Switch up the drums, chord (lovely chord sequence btw), filter in the middle bit, I don't know, just something to make it less samey. Really, really cool though :cool:
Feelings and Chord Stuff: Private track? I get a 404.
Aww, I was looking forward to your two other tracks. Oh well.

Atlantis WIP
https://soundcloud.com/neurophonicdnb/squelch-28
There's a looong intro I skipped. Song sounds really weird... help :oops:
SoundCloud Image YouTubeImage DeviantArtImage FacebookImage TwitterImage

GTA ft. Sam Bruno - Red Lips (Neurophonic Remix)
not for the faint of heart <3
https://soundcloud.com/neurophonic/gta-red-lips-neurophonic-remix
ImageImage
Ryanlauph

Primary: Logic 9. TAKE YOUR TIME FL STUDIO FOR MAC >:(
Cutie Mark: Blue shell of doom

Postby Moonlace » 28 Jul 2014 14:24

killeramp - aegd
love the idea and the sound design is nice, but i'd recommend changing up the chords at the start

neurophonic - atlantis wip
really love the sound design and the execution is great. the intro is pretty short but you said that it skipped it so yeah just keep up the good work

-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v

https://soundcloud.com/moonlacemusic/getting-late

by far my favorite track i've produced
https://www.soundcloud.com/moonlacemusic
d o w h a t m a k e s y o u h a p p y
Moonlace

Primary: fruity loops 11
Cutie Mark: full moon

Postby DJ TATCM » 01 Aug 2014 10:08

@Itroitnyah: I have no idea how you got skipped in the review process, so I'll take a look here...
You said that an automation clip didn't come into play? What are you doing at the beginning with the synths exactly, are you automating the volume? That's what you made it sound like anyway, I think that messing with the ADSR sort of attack would make things a whole lot easier, but if that's what you were doing the whole time please disregard lol

Okay, in the drop, try boosting your master volume by a couple percent to give it more impact. You worked hard on the synth design here, and it clearly shows. Unfortunately, however, I still found the drop to be a tad disappointing not because of the synths, but from the rhythm, it felt a lot like 4 beats with one synth, 4 beats with another. The stutter gate effect at around 1:27 is a bit off-putting as well, and the drums could be brought out a little more (distortion maybe at the drop?) and EQ'd, because it sounds like your ride cymbal has reverb while your snare doesn't.? I did like the layering with the sub bass at the beginning though, and I wish that it had continued. Composition-wise, the chord structure keeps things nice and interesting, and an arpeggiator with those chords would help bring this WIP to the top!

@KillerAmp: If you're still going to continue with that first aegd WIP, I would recommend using lighter synths at the beginning. Maybe removing/toning down that big saw that comes in every four beats, and bringing out the plucked chord sound. The drum loop that comes in around the middle sounds like it's stretched out too much, and I'm hearing some sort of weird hi-hat loop in the left channel that sounds more like an insect than percussion, try swapping that out with something less muddy. Overall, though, the sound design is top-notch. It's a shame that your others 404'd

@Ryan Lauph/Neurophonic: The beginning sounds very succulent and moist. However, the distortion effect on the squelch itself (which is very well designed, by the way) sounds a bit off to me. It sounds like it's clipping when it clearly isn't visually...I'm not an expert on this genre (or any for that matter) but I think the distortion should be subtler, more warming and fuzzy rather than toothy and sharp; like the underside of a porcupine rather than its outside, if that made any sense. Also maybe automation on the strong resonance towards the end? I'd love to hear the intro btw, it sounds great and that's all I have to say about that

@Moonlace: Hey fancy seeing you here! I think I've actually heard this track before when someone on my feed (I think it was Spikey Wikey) reposted it. You said in a comment you used 3xosc, but just how much 3xosc did you use on this track? Because it's incredible, I'm struggling to find something to critique, honestly. The cricket chirps as a percussive sound are astounding, I've never heard anything like that before! If there were one nitpicky thing I could say, it's that the snare could have slightly more presence, but that's such a minor detail when looking at the song as a whole. Fantastic job, I feel bad now posting my own wip tbh xD

I made this within 24 hours and it shows:

I overcompressed and strongly sidechained the vocals on purpose, just so y'all know. I've never made anything cluttered/up-tempo/like this, and I don't even know what genre to call it (I should call it "shoe store", bc of all the kicks *ba dum tss*), so I'd appreciate some feedback more on the composition side rather than my mixing which I know sucks, thanks~

EDIT: I figured out the genre!! Seems like I inadvertently made a variant of Chicago Juke Footwork, although with more synths and a 6-second trap breakdown or something lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghetto_house#Chicago_Juke
Last edited by DJ TATCM on 03 Aug 2014 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
CommandSpry wrote:srbija never explore pleasure of sit :(

Vote for my remix here!
Soundcloud
BandCamp
YouTube
our love is stronger than a golden banana
DJ TATCM

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: trent reznor

Postby Injustrial » 02 Aug 2014 11:51

DJ TATCM wrote:I made this within 24 hours and it shows:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUHR_gIEOrQ

I suck at commenting mixing, so your request makes me happy XD

Overall, what I hear, is this feels a bit chaotic. Everything sorta follows the same structure, but sound like they kinda... aren't? I feel like there's a bit too much happening at once, every line wants to be the main focus all at once, but there's a lack of a pure "spine" for the song to follow.

The kick has an untraditional rhtyhm, the bass is running up and down like a trained spider on a guitar and the lead follows the same style. When the vocals come in too, it sort of jumbles together without it feeling like a cohesive product.

BUT!
It's got a lot of energy, and I think this could have become a bit easier to listen to if you had reined in a few of the melodies in different places. The vocal tuning in particular could be really fun if they were in a slightly different context, good job on those.

Overall: A cool idea, but as you said yourself, it's a bit rushed. I mean no offense in my review, as I'm not even sure how these songs are supposed to sound. It's not bad at all, just a bit too chaotic for my ear.

-----------

Have an Epic Industrial Rap Battle

(Made in just under 3 hours)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmYEc5dpxhI&list=UUBeGpthzDz_gsGXXrWNWTug
Last edited by Injustrial on 02 Aug 2014 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
Injustrial

Postby Moonlace » 02 Aug 2014 20:13

@Moonlace: Hey fancy seeing you here! I think I've actually heard this track before when someone on my feed (I think it was Spikey Wikey) reposted it. You said in a comment you used 3xosc, but just how much 3xosc did you use on this track?

the whole thing is 3xosc haha thank you
https://www.soundcloud.com/moonlacemusic
d o w h a t m a k e s y o u h a p p y
Moonlace

Primary: fruity loops 11
Cutie Mark: full moon

Postby KillerAmp » 05 Aug 2014 23:26

@DJ TATCM the sounds are smooth and stuff but some stuffs out of key and the overall structure is a little wack, the mixings pretty good tho
@Injustrial, the vox and rapping is pretty cool but the production is a little lacking in some atmosphere and stuff, im not hugely knowlegeable about making hiphop beats or anything so i cant really help much more than that sorry :(

My thing:
https://soundcloud.com/nikomusicstuff/lll/s-m3Owd
Something im working on that i have no clue where to take but i like the wubwub i made lol (if the link doesnt work just click it and watch on soundcloud since the link is right but the plugin doesnt seem to be working in my preview of the post)
(made over like 2 hours of actual work and not watchign anime)
KillerAmp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Feels

Postby Toothpaste » 08 Aug 2014 00:57

@KillerAmp Too short! *bricked*
Seriously though, the first impression that I got was that it sounded like something you would hear on Monstercat. And that is a good thing. I like the direction that it is going, although its kinda hard to tell because there's only 13 seconds of it.
I suggest you run with this, can't wait to hear the final product or even just a later version~

----

I dunno... I have a lot of stuff sitting around that I haven't touched in over three months... This is one of them :P
https://soundcloud.com/thy60/inspire-wip-maybe
Enjoy!
Minty Fresh Productions!:
Toothpaste / PinkE_PartE / 18 Offence / Meyer / Thy60
PLEASE MESSAGE ME 4 DA COLLAB AND STUFFS owo
Check out my 'music' on YouTube and feel free to add me on Skype! --> thy.60
<insert wisdom>
Toothpaste

Primary: FL Studio Mobile
Cutie Mark: I'll figure it out someday.

Postby Ryanlauph » 09 Aug 2014 16:17

I actually don't have a track to post. You can look at my earlier track to review if you want, but Kyoga's thing is pretty cool.

DJ TATCM wrote:@Ryan Lauph/Neurophonic: The beginning sounds very succulent and moist. However, the distortion effect on the squelch itself (which is very well designed, by the way) sounds a bit off to me. It sounds like it's clipping when it clearly isn't visually...I'm not an expert on this genre (or any for that matter) but I think the distortion should be subtler, more warming and fuzzy rather than toothy and sharp; like the underside of a porcupine rather than its outside, if that made any sense. Also maybe automation on the strong resonance towards the end? I'd love to hear the intro btw, it sounds great and that's all I have to say about that

Thanks for the input! Just so you know, there actually isn't any distortion. The 'porcupine' sound you hear is the result of layering (another instance of Massive). I think it gives it the underwater squelch feeling but I see what you mean; warming and fuzzy should help convey that feeling even more.
Strong resonance sounds cool, I'll think about it. (It's Ohm Force's frohmage filter, BTW, lovely quirky effects you can get from it :roll: )

---

Reviews:
Kyoga:
Pretty rad soundscape, lovely binaural effects. I think you can give it a bit more character, a bit of a theme (underwater) if you see what I mean. Right now it's really good, but maybe it needs something to set it apart from 'another soundscape'. Some ear candy. Perhaps some more reverse sounds? Really stretched, reverbed percussion sounds? Subtle water sfx? They make great foley sounds. Bubbles? Droplets? Just suggestions really, not criticism.
Toothpaste:
"Made with FL Studio Mobile"
'Nuff said (just joking). I don't expect a good mixdown or anything. Usually suspending one chord or two (usually the tonic) before the drop makes it sound bigger by building up tension and also keeps the interest of the audience. Not familiar with the app, but maybe you can add more effects (low pass, verb, stereo)? Bit raw at the moment... cool little bass though.
SoundCloud Image YouTubeImage DeviantArtImage FacebookImage TwitterImage

GTA ft. Sam Bruno - Red Lips (Neurophonic Remix)
not for the faint of heart <3
https://soundcloud.com/neurophonic/gta-red-lips-neurophonic-remix
ImageImage
Ryanlauph

Primary: Logic 9. TAKE YOUR TIME FL STUDIO FOR MAC >:(
Cutie Mark: Blue shell of doom

Postby Injustrial » 12 Aug 2014 15:05

Kyoga wrote:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/76738083/Music/MP3/Lvl1Waters.mp3

There's a lot of eerie, metallic detail in this, a lot more than I could pick up on the first listen. It's creepy, ominous and ill boding, just the way I like things! I'm afraid I can't offer much on the technical side of things, but it sounds complex and in constant motion. I have to wonder, how much of this is automation within the VST/synth and how much is you playing/mapping MIDI?

The spread is nice, there's just enough reverb to carry on until the next hit and nothing really seems out of place here. I'm sure you were wishing for some more advanced feedback, but you get what you get, I guess :roll:

Here's my latest. Almost done, just a few more little tweaks in the mix and we should be good to go. I think the cymbals are a bit too loud and the vocaloid might be a tad unclear while simultaneously too loud. Thoughts on would be greatly appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdJeQE3upR4

Edit: Decided to release it, couldn't sit on it any longer ;)
Injustrial

PreviousNext

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice