Hardware Synth Discussion

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Re: Hardware Synth Discussion

Postby Pulse Wave » 18 May 2014 03:34

I guess the currently best 303 hardware clones are the x0xb0x, the Acidlab Bassline 3 and the Bass Bot TT-303. One could say that neither sounds exactly like a 303, but then again, no two 303s sound the same anyway, so they're about as close to the 303 as the 303 is as close to itself. Besides, they all come closer to the real deal than any software clone.
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Postby Acsii » 18 May 2014 03:46

Pulse Wave wrote:Besides, they all come closer to the real deal than any software clone.

The D-16 clone actually comes as close as the clones... it's made from a sampled 303...
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Pulse Wave » 18 May 2014 05:18

However, if it wants to be as close to the real deal as hardware by using samples while still being as tweakable as hardware, it has to use an infinite amount of samples — not only one sample per note, but infinite cutoff settings, infinite decay settings and so on, because it has to use samples which include the filter.

x0xb0x, Bassline and TT-303 are real analogue and voltage-controlled, so they don't have rotary encoders with a 127-step resolution but analogue pots with infinite resolution. And half the fun of using the 303 comes from tweaking cutoff, resonance and decay manually in real time while the machine bubbles and squeaks and spits acid.

Pulse Wave

Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.

Postby Acsii » 18 May 2014 05:33

Pulse Wave wrote:However, if it wants to be as close to the real deal as hardware by using samples while still being as tweakable as hardware, it has to use an infinite amount of samples — not only one sample per note, but infinite cutoff settings, infinite decay settings and so on, because it has to use samples which include the filter.

x0xb0x, Bassline and TT-303 are real analogue and voltage-controlled, so they don't have rotary encoders with a 127-step resolution but analogue pots with infinite resolution. And half the fun of using the 303 comes from tweaking cutoff, resonance and decay manually in real time while the machine bubbles and squeaks and spits acid.

You've obviously never heard of wavetables?
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Pulse Wave » 18 May 2014 11:32

I have; in fact, I'm living in the city where the wavetable synth was invented (Wolfgang Palm, PPG, back in the 70s). Nevertheless, even wavetables have a limited resolution, and "classic" PPG/Waldorf wavetables have an even coarser resolution than MIDI.

Pulse Wave

Postby SticktheFigure » 13 Jun 2014 12:38

So I was going to wait and look into buying the Sub 37, but instead decided to go with just the Minitaur for now. I'm looking at a secondary synth as well, but I might just hold off for a while. If I do make a purchase soon, I'm thinking of getting a digital polysynth.
Spoiler woof:
Jokeblue wrote:the avatar of one of the guys who donated pretty much sums up how this is going
Keyboard: Yamaha Sy22 DAW: FLStudio 10 VST: Massive, Zeta+ 2
SticktheFigure

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Piano

Postby FLAOFEI » 14 Jun 2014 15:09

So I'm gonna be buying a synth... Pretty sure it's gonna be an MS-20 mini, but I'm not quite sure, cause I might want to wait for the System 1. Anyone got opinions/advice?
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby eery » 14 Jun 2014 16:53

oh yeah, I was looking at that, it looks like super sick and all, but personally I didnt really like any of the sounds it made in the demos, so I went for the microbrute instead since it was in the same price range.
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 14 Jun 2014 21:24

...has anyone heard of the nordlead 4? or the new roland remakes by aira?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lomPk1cKptE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmY6XwF0H8M
...of course you need to be rich...
(sigh)
...who needs em. I have my 1980s lowrey, and my yamaha psr 7. yay thrift stores!
Hyōka isn't real, and neither is that spoon from the matrix!
RCYouKnowMe

Primary: Audacity w/Musescore, VSTHOST, Ansine 2, DrumBurst, and real intruments: Yamaha YS-7, Guitar, Clarinet.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Acsii » 14 Jun 2014 21:42

UPDATE YO
Acsii

Postby JayB » 08 Jul 2014 16:54

I finally managed to fulfill an 8 year old dream...

(I'm talking about the S90 ES.)
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby Acsii » 22 Jul 2014 02:23

Update on my Synths:
So yea I didn't make the video because the prototype, being a prototype, broke because it shorted against the faceplate. However I have good news. The PCBs for the production model have been designed and I am getting a quote for them. This means that soon there will be a production prototype, which basically means the first of the production models built. Also if anyone wants to buy the half shorted and not rush soldered prototype PM me, I will replace the shorted IC and send it to you, price not including shipping AU$80. Please note that the modulation circuits are not wired up and neither is the CV in.
Acsii

Postby Pulse Wave » 25 Jul 2014 00:03

News from me that aren't even new anymore: I got me an Access Virus C last month.

I figured I need a more powerful and versatile VA synth at home, and my Virus b is at the band rehearsal room. So I thought, why not get me something with a little more bang than the Virus b?

Don't think I'll need more synths in the near future — except maybe a Waldorf Streichfett or two. The next larger piece of gear will be a second 01V.

Pulse Wave

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 09 Sep 2014 20:29

So after more than a year of owning it, I've finally gotten used to using the minibrute in actual songs. Pretty sure it just had to wait till I was better at producing in general before it'd be a smooth part of my workflow. I'm thinking I could probably save up for another synth too, now that I'm more fluid with the mini. I'm still researching and making a decision but I'm leaning towards either the Minitaur or the Subphatty.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Pulse Wave » 19 May 2015 00:27

Sweetness announced!

A limited Giorgio Moroder-themed Novation Mininova that comes pre-loaded entirely with sounds which shall sound exactly like those Giorgio used over the decades (as long as they came from analogue synths).

Pulse Wave

Previous

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice