Remix War VIII: Tour Across Equestria

Re: Remix War VIII: Tour Across Equestria

Postby Stuntddude » 19 May 2014 02:02

Stars In Autumn wrote:Two people working together on a remix is very limiting. Since you are already working with an already established melody and structure, typically the things that get changed are rearranging structure, altering sounds, and possibly adding/removing new sections. Remixes are much easier to do than original works and I don't see why a collaborative process is required.

Saying that, if you are intent on collabing on a remix, I won't stop you, but you're limiting to what you can contribute to the event.

I'm gonna quickly agree that this is a really bad view to take on remixes in general. The best remixes are ones that genuinely re-imagine the original, rather than just re-arranging it. Re-arrangement is easy - certain artists can literally crank out a typical re-arrangement in a couple hours. I presume that isn't really what anyone is looking for in a remix war.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Mush » 19 May 2014 08:05

Oh, I am always up for a good remix! I'll have to hunt for something lesser done.
Mad tunes on my channel yo.
Mush's YouTube

Pixels are your friend, buy them a beer.

Hey, want to chat? Add me on skype: stevenmagnet
Mush

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Synthesis

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 19 May 2014 10:54

Stars In Autumn wrote:
Supersaw Hoover wrote:You failed to address my points on zorg's post. It does a disservice to the original artist and the remixer when you remix another remix, because now you have songs like "Artist One - Song Title (Artist Two Remix (Artist Three Remix)), etc. No one know's who did what. I'm not saying a person CAN'T do it, I'm saying a person SHOULDN'T do it. It just convolutes the whole thing.

I'm just going to point out here that a lot of Remix War entries are remixes of other people's remixes of show songs. Just saying. In addition, I recall the original Remix Wars from 2011 having in their FAQ something to the effect of "Q: So is this remixes of remixes of remixes? / A: In a way, yes!"

EDIT: I just went back to the Remix War II Google doc (pre-MLR). Here's a good screenshot.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Stars In Autumn » 19 May 2014 12:31

Supersaw Hoover wrote:I'm just going to point out here that a lot of Remix War entries are remixes of other people's remixes of show songs. Just saying. In addition, I recall the original Remix Wars from 2011 having in their FAQ something to the effect of "Q: So is this remixes of remixes of remixes? / A: In a way, yes!"

EDIT: I just went back to the Remix War II Google doc (pre-MLR). Here's a good screenshot.

Okay, let me explain why I am doing this. In previous remix wars, pretty much anything flew as long as you were remixing another artist. There wasn't any structure outside of that. Just remix a song, email it to NACP, and show up to the sync listen. This was fine, but people had issues identifying songs and organizing the results. Even now I can go through my list of MLP related songs and it is a mess. For instance: "circuitfry - I Am Best Pony (vs multiple artists)". Who was the original arist? Circuitfry? Nope, that's the remixer in this case. Who are these multiple artists? I have no idea.
In all honestly, we've been screwing up because we see tons of songs like "JackleApp - Giggle At The Ghostly" when it should be "Daniel Ingram - Giggle At The Ghostly (JackleApp Remix)".
I understand that remix wars are suppose to be fun and not super serious, but I would like to keep some sense of structure and coherency.

Saying all that, I'll budge a little more and let you remix a song that's a remix from the show. I don't know how I'm suppose to credit those, though. If anyone has ideas, let me know.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Stars In Autumn » 19 May 2014 12:34

Stuntddude wrote:I'm gonna quickly agree that this is a really bad view to take on remixes in general. The best remixes are ones that genuinely re-imagine the original, rather than just re-arranging it. Re-arrangement is easy - certain artists can literally crank out a typical re-arrangement in a couple hours. I presume that isn't really what anyone is looking for in a remix war.

Yes, I know. I guess I'm coming from a beatport point of view. Rarely are there ever any actual full reworks that make it to a label. But like I said, you can collab on a remix.
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby Freewave » 19 May 2014 13:36

I agree with Stars original idea although I'm glad he's a bit flexible in case people can do it fairly. That way you don't get people remixing "Living Tombstone's Discord" and ignoring the original. :roll: Again hopefully people can avoid "originals" that are essentially remixes of show tunes as otherwise that too is rather dumb. Be creative, see it as a challenge to fit the rules and dig a little, and less that we're throwing a wad of restrictions. The challenge and rules are pretty straight forward and not that cumbersome.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Freewave » 19 May 2014 13:46

FLAOFEI wrote:Sooooo... Does it have to be in equestria? Saddle Arabia isn't in equestria... And the Changeling hives... I don't think they are either. Can we do those to?

Changeling Hives are supposed to be hidden in Everfree Forest but can be used as song location. Saddle Arabia might not be in the map, as is Maretonia (which was in Twilight's Kingdom) but both are on their planet and in the show.

Other locations can involve the comic books or novels.

Under the Sparking Sea obviously happened in the ocean off Equestria

Also places like Flax Seed's Farm on Rarity's One-shot Getaway could be a psychedelic rock goldmine

If its on their planet and in something they've alluded to in the show, comic, novel, or maybe even in a fimfic, feel that you can the freedom to make a song about it.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby FlightRushOfficial » 19 May 2014 19:40

Registered. Here comes papa FlightRush.
FlightRushOfficial

Primary: Ableton Live
Cutie Mark: Dubstep

Postby Makkon » 19 May 2014 21:38

It seems to me that we don't want a remix of a remix of a remix because we just want people to try and do something creative with OTHER songs, perhaps ones that are lesser known or less popular. I think we all just get a little tired of the same song again and again, and it'd be nice to give some of those other artists some time to shine. That's all.

I appreciate the flexibility though.

I asked this in a skype chat, but I wanted to bring it up here because it could open some doors for some of our audio engineers to collaborate with our song writers:

If you do all of the notation/instrumentation/composition of a song, you can collaborate with someone who does the effects, mixing, and mastering.

That being the case, I will be looking for some audio engineers to collaborate with. I suspect this could create some great partnerships in the future!

you hear that? friendship!
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby S.P.P » 20 May 2014 04:54

Yo, audio engineer standing by.
I think that's a pretty good idea, and if someone wants to work with me like that then feel free to get hold of me on Skype: "pyr3light".
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby BRON3MEW6 » 20 May 2014 04:57

I'll go with Option 2. I'll make a song about Las Pegasus.
BRON3MEW6

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: Micguitarsticks

Postby Makkon » 20 May 2014 19:36

Just added to the first post: "Songwriters and Audio Engineers may also team up, so long as they both contribute to the creation and quality of the song."

Tell your friends!

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby BRON3MEW6 » 21 May 2014 05:28

I registered, I'm picking Option 2 and now I'm looking for another rap artist. One question, are you allowed to have explicit lyrics?
Last edited by BRON3MEW6 on 21 May 2014 06:30, edited 1 time in total.
BRON3MEW6

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: Micguitarsticks

Postby FLAOFEI » 21 May 2014 05:43

I hope I'm not the only one who sees you can chose both 'options'
You can chose both, right?
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby ExoBassTix » 21 May 2014 11:17

BRON3MEW6 wrote:I registered, I'm picking Option 2 and now I'm looking for another rap artist. One question, are you allowed to have explicit lyrics?

Stars In Autumn wrote:Q: What are your standards on track content?
A: Please do not have swearing or references to drugs/sex.

;)
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Stuntddude » 21 May 2014 16:21

FLAOFEI wrote:I hope I'm not the only one who sees you can chose both 'options'
You can chose both, right?

Stars In Autumn wrote:So pick option 1, option 2, or both!

I certainly plan to do both.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Stars In Autumn » 21 May 2014 18:18

It's nice to see other forum members answering these questions, it can be frustrating to quote the FAQ all the time!
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby Seven Ponies » 21 May 2014 21:40

finally, time to redeem myself from last year :)
Seven Ponies

Primary: fl studio 10
Cutie Mark: Chillstep

Postby Dyrilby » 22 May 2014 05:48

Fuck it, let's have a go at this one. Hopefully shit doesn't get in the way this time.
Dyrilby

Primary: Cockos Reaper
Cutie Mark: Bass guitar

Postby ExoBassTix » 22 May 2014 11:56

Freewave wrote:Also places like Flax Seed's Farm on Rarity's One-shot Getaway could be a psychedelic rock goldmine
[img]awesome%20hippie%20Rares[/img]

That makes me wanna make Psychedelic Noise.
... in a way that doesn't destroy ears :P
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby KM42 » 22 May 2014 18:54

2 questions from me for this one.
1)Are we allowed to have a feat. *insert guest* for the remix?
a)Do they have to be a brony?
2)Does the song have to be by somebody who is still a brony and produces music now?
KM42

Primary: FL Studio and Ableton
Cutie Mark: Metronome

Postby GlitchKing123 » 22 May 2014 19:03

I have registered, but so far, It's been difficult to find a song that isn't remixed that can be remixed, especially with the genre I make (Hand Up)
I've tried asking some Musicians, but none respond. For example, I find that BlackGr0phon's song 'Crusader (Are We There Yet)' to have a really good repetitive baseline that can really work with Hand Up. I asked him on Youtube and Soundcloud if i could use the acapella for the remix war, but no reply

I'm not exactly sure what to do, I am not a known person so maybe it's that?
I need help.
SoundCloud | DeviantArt | Skype: GlitchKing123
GlitchKing123

Cutie Mark: Happy Hardcore

Postby Alycs » 22 May 2014 19:14

KM42 wrote:2 questions from me for this one.
2)Does the song have to be by somebody who is still a brony and produces music now?

1) If you are wanting to add another singer for a remix (something like a cover) I wouldn't see a problem with it as long as you are still making sure you are remixing the original song and not just sampling it for a completely different thing.
a) I wouldn't think so

2) As long as the song was a pony-song (For example - Alex S. is no longer in the horse fandom, but a lot of his earlier songs were MLP based) then it should be fine.

GlitchKing123 wrote:I have registered, but so far, It's been difficult to find a song that isn't remixed that can be remixed, especially with the genre I make (Hand Up)
I've tried asking some Musicians, but none respond. For example, I find that BlackGr0phon's song 'Crusader (Are We There Yet)' to have a really good repetitive baseline that can really work with Hand Up. I asked him on Youtube and Soundcloud if i could use the acapella for the remix war, but no reply

I need help.

Usually if the artist supplies an acapella, they are okay with you remixing the song. Also, a lot of popular artists get TONS of messages per day on youtube and soundcloud. Give them a little while to see it. If they don't respond, then send them a message across something like twitter. If they still don't respond, I'd look for a different song. (That being said, if they give remix stems like an acapella track, usually that means they are fine with you remixing it)
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Stars In Autumn » 22 May 2014 21:24

KM42 wrote:2 questions from me for this one.

1. Yeah
a. No
2. No, just someone who is or was in the community at some point.

GlitchKing123 wrote:I have registered, but so far, It's been difficult to find a song that isn't remixed that can be remixed, especially with the genre I make (Hand Up)

I need help.

You don't have to find a song that has not had a remix, it's just advisable to find a song that hasn't been remixed a ton already. You also don't need the original's permission to remix the song. It's advisable, as they can provide stems/midi, but not required. If they don't respond to you, then you can do a bootleg or a remake (although it sounds like you want the vocals). You might want to find another song to remix if they don't respond after a few weeks.
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby Makkon » 22 May 2014 22:40

Just want to remind everyone that I released stems of Dreg of a Bitter Cup last year, and it's only got 1 remix.

Dregs of a Bitter Cup
stems | midi
145bpm | C Major (double harmonic scale; modulates down one full step on last verse)

You know, just in case you wanted to ask.

I'll go away now...

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Remix War