Nasty Dubstep Wobble using Vocal Clips

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Nasty Dubstep Wobble using Vocal Clips

Postby AutomaticJack » 13 Jan 2012 01:23

Now with Audio/Picture resource materials!! Holy steakfries, Batman!! 20% COOLER!!

A complete and annotated layout: http://www.mediafire.com/i/?6gslsv6w2scju87
A sound of what the annotated layout shows: http://www.mediafire.com/?l5cqgb47q22oto7

I was thinking of keeping this to myself, like a secret weapon or something, because as far as I know, no-one else uses this method. But..... of all the people I could want to share it with, Brony musicians come first. So... here it is.

Note: This technique, and therefore, this post, is written with FL 7 in mind. Slight differences may occur with earlier/later versions, and MAJOR differences where other software is concerned. The theory, however, is sound. If you are unfamiliar with FL 7, you should endeavor to become so. This post is written for someone who already has a moderate to advanced knowledge of how the FL platform works.

What you'll need:
1) A Vocal Clip, preferably one longer than five seconds.
2) Fruity Slicer
3) An Overdrive Plug-in
4) A Distortion Plug-in
5) Optionally: A Stereo Enhancer, EQ, Compressor, Limiter, Low Pass Filter

Step 1:
Load a vocal clip into the slicer. FL usually Autodumps the clip to the Piano Roll 'as-is' with it's preset default slicing.... I recommend trying to isolate each word, or at least, each major change in timbre. Timbre is the key to this technique, as you can get many different sounds in just one channel, and therefore, controlling the wobble will be easier than having, say, six different synths and running them through a group channel, or (Celestia Forbid) giving each one it's own Automation clips. O.O

Step 2:
In the Piano Roll view, set each slice to run the desired length, and then chop the notes into 64ths, which is generally as fine cut as you can go. You can zoom in as far as the Piano Roll view will go and select 'Quick Chop' from the Menu, and it should cut them right. Later on you can experiment with fast octaves (as used in Chipstyle music mainly, for the purpose of simulating chords with a monophonic soundwave) or even arpeggios, but so far, jackhammer fast 64ths have worked fine for me. I usually use 1 measure of each tone at first, in order to demo which slices sound best. The trick is each slice retains it's individual timbre but sounds SUPER NASTY when Jackhammered.

Step 3:
Run the clip through a channel with the Distortion and Overdrive on it. I recommend running through the Distortion first, but music is about anything goes, so if it works better the other way more power to ya!! To me, the clip is not gritty enough without these two, and a fine balance between the two may take awhile to find. You can always go back and readjust later. I also use a Stereo Enhancer to widen the tone, but this is not necessary. EQ, compression, and limiting are fall under the 'if it needs it' category. You can usually control the output volume with the gain knob on the final distortion/overdrive plugin.

Step 4:
It's time to make that clip WOBBLE!! I use the built in LP conrols, the ones directly attached to the channel, but an external plug-in will do just fine, maybe even better. I usually set the Resonance Knob (also known as 'Q' in some instances, I believe) to about 25%-30%. Too high and your ear drums will be shredded. I also prefer to directly control the Low Pass Cutoff knob rather than try to mane-ipulate it with an LFO, because I can make 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1/3, Rise and Fall Automation Clips and then write the wobble out just like I write the notes out. I always aim for the simplest method in order to reduce the brain-to-input ratio, because many good idea's are diminished or even lost when it takes too much time to set them down. I find that the knob doesn't usually need to rise any further than about 40%. Too high of a sweep with the LP cutoff knob and the distorted harmonics will go CRAZY, resulting in a sound that is nasty in all the wrong ways. As far as clip timing goes, I set the peak of the rise as close to the beginning of the clip as possible without it sounding like I started at that cutoff frequency. I like a sharp attack for proper note definition. Too far forward and the note sounds offset.

Step 5:
A few extra tweaks you may want to use is the Pitch Shift Slider in FL Slicer. I usually lower it all the way. I also like to lower the Individual Note Pitch in the Piano Roll view as well. Finding the right depth of pitch without bottoming out is the key, but once you have something you like, I recommend saving before you make any further tweaks. No guarantees that it'll be 20% cooler, and these tools tend to be a little finicky when you're bending sound in realtime!!

Here is an example from my one and only Pony track to date. The drop near the middle and the drop at the end both use the Pinkie Pie vocal sample from the song...
http://soundcloud.com/automaticjack/glaze-pinkies-lie-automatic-1

In closing, I have used this method in two different songs, and was very pleased with the results. I hope I've made everything clear, but if I haven't let me known and I will update this post.
Happy Music making, Everypony!!

P.S......Pinkie is best pony!! We all wanna party with Pinkie; don't even deny it :D
Last edited by AutomaticJack on 07 Jun 2012 00:43, edited 6 times in total.
Pride can be wounded. Swagger is INVINCIBLE..
[The Factory] -- [The Showroom] -- [The Catalog]
DAW: FL Studio 11, Adobe Audition 1.5
Current Project: Too many to name!!! =P
AutomaticJack

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Master of all things Rhythmic

Re: Nasty Dubstep Wobble using Vocal Clips

Postby Navron » 13 Jan 2012 14:53

I noticed your soundcloud says Pentleton. You an active marine?
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby AutomaticJack » 13 Jan 2012 16:23

Nah, I have a few friends in the National Guard and an Ex-Army homie, but I'm not involved myself. Thought about it, tho.
You're prolly thinkin' of Camp Pendleton... I'm in Pendleton, Oregon. =)
AutomaticJack

Postby Navron » 14 Jan 2012 01:56

Hehe, my fail then.

Good tutorial btw. I'll add it to the music guide soon.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby AutomaticJack » 14 Jan 2012 04:54

Thanks, mane, gotta share the wisdom, cause knowledge is power, and friendship is magic. ;)
AutomaticJack

Postby Evdog » 17 Jan 2012 23:59

AutomaticJack wrote:Timbre is the key to this technique, as you can get many different sounds in just one channel, and therefore, controlling the wobble will be easier than having, say, six different synths and running them through a group channel, or (Celestia Forbid) giving each one it's own Automation clips. :shock:

!!! I was doing that! No wonder I was going nowhere fast.

Many thanks for this tutorial. I don't have FL Studio, but I know how to chop and stretch audio in my DAW, so I'll try and figure it out.
[YOUTUBE], [SOUNDCLOUD], [FACEBOOK], [EVDOGMUSIC.COM]
Multigenre singer, Multigenre songwriter, Multigenre producer & Multi-instrumentalist
Evdog

Primary: Presonus Studio One
Cutie Mark: (is a Diamond Dog)

Postby AutomaticJack » 18 Jan 2012 02:06

I hope it works for ya!! I had to tweak it a bunch to get the sound just right, but once I did the options were many and great, the wub wub bountiful. A veritable Pandora's Box of nasty wobbly goodness. =)
AutomaticJack

Re: UPDATED!! Nasty Dubstep Wobble using Vocal Clips

Postby BirdMan » 24 Apr 2012 20:17

Not to necro-post, but the links on the first post appear to be broken.
BirdMan

Postby AutomaticJack » 25 Apr 2012 02:21

D'oh!! You're right, they are. =P I shuffle my dropbox around, so I'ma put the materials in mediafire instead. Shouldd be done in a few days =)
AutomaticJack

Postby BirdMan » 29 Apr 2012 12:45

Thank you sir!
BirdMan

Postby Fimbulin » 17 May 2012 08:39

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72846444/Dubtrippy.mp3

I spent a few hours figuring out how to set everything up right, and then I restarted from scratch and popped this out in thirty minutes.

:D
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby Fimbulin » 17 May 2012 15:22

It works like a charm.

::: )
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby AutomaticJack » 20 May 2012 20:46

I guess I'm glad it got restated, then... I'm the Brony that time forgot =P
AutomaticJack

Postby jim-e3 » 24 May 2012 20:44

Lemmie tell you this: I LOVE IT. ITS FUCKING EPIC. no longer do i have to use modern talking to make talking basses, i can use real talking! wooo!
DAW: Ableton Live
Genre: House, Dubstep, Electro House
VSTs: Massive, and quite a few other free ones

Soundcloud | Facebook | Youtube

jim-e3

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 24 Jul 2012 17:06

Turns out vocodex works awesome too. :D

Edit: Aw phooey, did I just bump a 6 month old post? Oh well.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice