Mega-MLR Charity Album 2: SEEDS OF KINDNESS

Current events we're participating in.

Mega-MLR Charity Album 2: SEEDS OF KINDNESS

Postby PinkieGuy » 15 Jan 2012 05:48

As most the community knows, we helped to raise stunning amounts of money for a very worthy cause with our MLR Charity Album 1: Smile.

This thread will be for the discussion of the second album. Inc's full post is at the bottom, but the important details are as follows:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
DUE DATE: NEW DEADLINE : MARCH 22nd

MEANS OF SUBMISSION: As before, please load the track to a download provider, then upload this information using the Events system found at the top of the MLR.com page.

CAN I UPLOAD TO YOUTUBE/FACEBOOK/MYSPACE?:No. This music is meant to be kept exclusive for those kind bronies (and non-bronies) who donate. It's a gift.

WHAT'S THE THEME: The theme is 'Seeds of Kindness'. See below.[/b]

WHAT'S IT FOR? "This album will fund two projects :

- The first $10,000 collected will be used to complete the building and supplying of a clinic in Uganda, where there is less than one doctor per 12,000 people, and life expectancy is only about fifty years. After this initial impulse, the clinic will be self-sustainable and able to provide free emergency care without any external help for anyone who can’t afford to pay for it.

- When the clinic is fully funded, the next donations will be used to build a Green Village in Burundi, where street children who lost their parents to the civil war can find a home and learn to earn their subsistence without having to resort to crime.

The policy of our partner, Your Siblings, is to cover all travel and personal costs as well as money transfer fees privately and independently from donations, so that 100% of what you give will be spent exclusively on said projects. They are currently setting up a better donation platform for this event, and every donor will instantly receive the album, without any specific instructions to follow."

EDIT: EXTRA INFORMATION
- Box.com is the preferred file uploader.
- All submissions need to be original : no covers, no remixes.
- Both pony and non-pony music are equally welcome.
- There are no style restriction, just be sure to make your creation somewhat fit with the album name. Smile! had some smile-themed songs and a lot of overall happy, easy-listening tunes : just be sure to not make it grimdark, angry or depressing and it should fit in just fine.
- The Youtube field should be filled with the URL that you want to be credited with (youtube channel, Soudcloud...).
- We are asking you not to make the full song public anywhere, not to force anyone's hand, but so that the gift of the album can be truly meaningful. However, you are very welcome to upload previews on Youtube/Soundcloud after the release date ! We won't blame you if you want that much to upload it a month after the release date, but do not publish any download link no matter what.

INC'S POST
InC wrote:Hi everyone !
Major update on the second volume : as those who donated have noticed, GlobalGiving takes a 15% tip on donations. This wasn't an issue at all for the first volume, as all of it went right into the 3,000$ prize : the fundraiser page shows $17,300, but people actually donated $19,900, and CCA received as much as $20,300 !

However, after we cross the $20,000 mark, CCA will start receiving less than what was donated, and we really want to avoid that.

Fortunately, Bronies for Good is currently collaborating with a fellow brony working at Your Siblings towards another fundraising event, "Seeds of Kindness", aiming to fund the building and supplying of a clinic in Uganda. By working this them, we can ensure that 100% of the amount donated goes straight toward the building and supplying of the clinic : you won't find any CEO benefitting from a $1M compensation here, the policy at Your Sibling is to transfer everything fully, cover themselves the money transfer costs and use their own private savings to travel to Uganda.

This is why I'm proposing an alternative course of action : rename the album to "Seeds of Kindness" and push back the submission deadline to the 29th of February. This way, we can synch it up with the BfG event and offer additional prizes such as plushies, just like we did with Smile!. Moreover, because Your Siblings will be fully collaborating with us, there won't be any complicated instructions : just donate and you'll get the album.

What do you think ?

EDIT :

I hope the tracks from the first compilation are put up somewhere, at least to listen to for free (Bandcamp, Youtube) if not download, after a few months. (Yes I did buy the first one). Everyone who was going to donate will have already donated, and ultimately the donating should be happening because people wanted to contribute, not because it's the only way to get hold of the tracks.

Sure, someone asked a while back, and no one see any issue with the artists publishing their track on Youtube, maybe a month after January 25th (which is when the prizes will be handed out). The idea isn't to extort money, but rather to make the gift of an album more valuable and meaningful.

Many chose to upload a preview of their submission for the first album, but sure, I don't think it would do any harm if some full compositions ended up on Youtube after the release date as long as there's no download link. What do you think ?
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Mega-MLR Charity Album 2: SEEDS OF KINDNESS

Postby Interrobang Pie » 15 Jan 2012 06:34

Is it not called Smile Vol. 2?
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby InC » 15 Jan 2012 11:36

Thank you for making this thread ! The submission form also asks for a youtube link, could you add that one should just fill it with the download link ? Box.com is also the preferred uploading site, as some proved to be a bit impractical last time.

@Interrobang Pie : As explained in the above post, making this new album to fund the building and supplying of a clinic in Uganda seems like a better option than sticking with the Smile! fundraiser. Since this new plan seems to be welcomed and the collaboration with BfG worked well with Smile!, this new album is supposed to be synched up with their next event, "Seeds of Kindness".

Regarding song uploading, it might not be such a bad idea to put some full songs on Youtube when the album is launched, as long as there is no download link. Maybe we could say that previews are much preferred, to make the gift more meaningful, but that it is still allowed to stream a song with no download links and after the release date ?
InC

Postby Navron » 15 Jan 2012 16:16

It's been said before, but the main reason songs being uploaded to YouTube isn't a good idea, is because you can easily download the video and/or download the audio itself with many different programs.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Solarsail » 15 Jan 2012 17:17

NavyBrony wrote:It's been said before, but the main reason songs being uploaded to YouTube isn't a good idea, is because you can easily download the video and/or download the audio itself with many different programs.

In low bitrate and with bad Youtube conversion. If people are that desperate to not donate they wouldn't anyway, especially if composers wait a month or two before actually putting it up on their Youtube (it's their art).

Same logic when music companies put things up on VEVO. They know perfectly well that people who aren't too invested in their work will just rip and be done. People who value the work will pay for it.
Solarsail

Postby SoGreatandPowerful » 16 Jan 2012 20:50

Building a clinic sounds amazing. Just wow.
SoGreatandPowerful

Postby InC » 17 Jan 2012 09:59

What Solarsail said, especially when anyone willing to go that far and pirate the album could get it from someone without much trouble.

To the singers out there, could you please put lyrics in the download link ? Thanks.

More info on the clinic here : http://yoursiblings.org/projects/a-clin ... da/details
As you can see, the clinic is mostly built but they still need help to buy medicaments and hire medical staff for the first 6 months. After that, it will be self-sustainable and won't need any more donations. Since the first album raised $20k, it is likely that we will be able to completely fill the second half of that progress bar with cash to spare. When we get there, the surplus will be used to build the Green Village, where street children who lost their parents to the civil war can find a home and learn to earn their subsistence without having to resort to crime.

You can also find more info on Your Siblings and their admirable policy here : http://yoursiblings.org/faq
Thanks to the members of Your Sibling covering themselves not only travel and personal costs but also money transfer fees, instead of taking compensations, 100% of what is donated will reach Africa and be used exclusively toward the projects, with full transparency and accountability.
Last edited by InC on 19 Jan 2012 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
InC

Postby bartekko » 17 Jan 2012 10:33

Solarsail wrote:
Same logic when music companies put things up on VEVO. They know perfectly well that people who aren't too invested in their work will just rip and be done. People who value the work will pay for it.

Not counting that VEVO gets money for every view
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Evdog » 17 Jan 2012 20:10

What if it was an unlisted video, so only those with the link can hear it?
Since here is the only place we'll be sending that link, this should work well.
Evdog

Primary: Presonus Studio One
Cutie Mark: (is a Diamond Dog)

Postby Evdog » 18 Jan 2012 23:28

...am I the only one whose posted a submission for this yet? What's everypony else doing?
Last edited by Evdog on 01 Jun 2021 05:47, edited 1 time in total.
[YOUTUBE], [SOUNDCLOUD], [FACEBOOK], [EVDOGMUSIC.COM]
Multigenre singer, Multigenre songwriter, Multigenre producer & Multi-instrumentalist
Evdog

Postby bartekko » 19 Jan 2012 03:49

Evdog wrote:...am I the only one whose posted a submission for this yet? What's everypony else doing?

Most of us haven't started or are working for a long time to perfect their entries
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby PinkieGuy » 19 Jan 2012 17:50

Opening post update with some extra information guys.
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Evdog » 19 Jan 2012 18:16

Is there a way to have an unlisted song on SoundCloud? The only way I can think to do it is to have it as private, and only give access to an official MLR account.
[YOUTUBE], [SOUNDCLOUD], [FACEBOOK], [EVDOGMUSIC.COM]
Multigenre singer, Multigenre songwriter, Multigenre producer & Multi-instrumentalist
Evdog

Postby randomblockfilms » 19 Jan 2012 18:44

OH!! i shall join this too!! im defiantly gonna make this song a lot better than my last entry... ForChorda....
mahYoutubeChannal

Take my advice with a grain of salt as i too am learning how this music stuff works
English is my native language but it is defiantly not my forte.
randomblockfilms

Primary: Ableton 8

Postby qdBrony » 19 Jan 2012 20:54

Evdog wrote:...am I the only one whose posted a submission for this yet? What's everypony else doing?

I have.
qdBrony

Postby Pustulioooooo » 19 Jan 2012 21:10

I shall be joining as well.
Contact Info/other sites
Projects:
SSE OST
On Deck:
Rainbow Factory Remix 1%
*Spoilers* -
Ballad of the Moon Goddess -
On Hold:
Celestian March (Soviet March Remix) 50%
LOADSAMAGIC -
Poker Night at the Library -
Pustulioooooo

Postby Facexplodie » 19 Jan 2012 21:19

Question: Since the title and other stuff have changed, is it still okay to post say, a 30 second clip of your entry w/o download options n stuff? I know this has been asked before many a time, but I want to be SUPER CEREAL FORSURZIES before anything is posted.
"Its been said
Long time ago
You'll be the first
And last to know"
Facexplodie

Postby InC » 20 Jan 2012 12:19

Sure, many people uploaded 1 minute previews for the last album on release day, and they are still very welcome !
Don't worry if it seems like no one else submitted, you can only see your own entries.

Evdog wrote:Is there a way to have an unlisted song on SoundCloud? The only way I can think to do it is to have it as private, and only give access to an official MLR account.

Not that I know of, but entries are supposed to be submitted via a file uploader, preferably box.com. The Youtube field should be filled with the link you want to be credited with, such as your Youtube channel or your Soundcloud profile.

In other news, we just broke $24,000 with the first album, and a couple of pals at Bronies for Good will talk about both albums tomorrow on Bronyville. Thank you once again, and keep being awesome !
InC

Postby UnderpΩny » 21 Jan 2012 17:40

I have sort of an idea. I fully intend to make something for this though, seeing as I tragically missed the last one. I think some more Liquid DnB will do nicely... just waiting on inspiration.
UnderpΩny

Postby CommandSpry » 23 Jan 2012 12:30

I'm all for this kind of stuff, and I think I'll join, until the ending date I'm sure I can create something relaxing..:)
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby ismbof » 28 Jan 2012 21:51

PinkieGuy wrote:IMPORTANT INFORMATION
DUE DATE: February 29th
[/quote]

F*CK, F*CK, F*CK, !!!! I FLEW THROUGH THIS AND READ THIS AS "January 28"!!! That's a relief but, I FREAKING BUSTED MY ASS OFF THESE PAST FEW DAYS TO FINISH MY SONG!!! F*CK, F*CK, F*CK, F*CK, F*CK, F*CK, F*CK!

I'm kinda pissed at myself.
ismbof

Postby Makkon » 28 Jan 2012 22:02

Mine countenance whereupon:

:[

BUT NOW YOU HAVE TIME FOR MORE MUSIC
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Senjan » 29 Jan 2012 07:47

I heard about the Charity Album some time ago on EqD. This is simply a brilliant idea!
I want to help, too. Count me in! if, if that's okay with you.
I love music, and this show. I hope that my stay here will inspire others just as you inspire me.

My SoundCloud where I upload my previews: http://soundcloud.com/senjan-1
My Youtube where I upload my full songs: http://www.youtube.com/user/Senjan
Senjan

Postby Facexplodie » 29 Jan 2012 18:19

WHOA question: Does our submission need to be a specific sample rate? I don't know if this would be an issue because I've never had to press CDs before, but would multiple sample rates screw up things? Idk just a random thought.
"Its been said
Long time ago
You'll be the first
And last to know"
Facexplodie

Postby Navron » 29 Jan 2012 19:25

If you're exporting in mp3, make sure it's in 320kbps format.

If not exporting as an mp3, lossless is the way to go.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Next

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events