Thinking about getting a vocal mike, need recomendationss

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Thinking about getting a vocal mike, need recomendationss

Postby ganondox » 16 Feb 2014 06:46

Hi. For various reasons I think now would finally be a good time to get legit microphone, so I need to figure which one I should by. I want specifically a vocal mike, and a range of pricing options so I can see what I can afford. I don't think I NEED the best quality microphone, but it would probably be best to get the best I can get as then I might not need to get a new one in the future. I don't think I live in Indonesia, so I want it to be able to arrive here and be durable enough to endure international travel. Also, I need it to be able to plug into a guitar amp jack, in the very least with an adapter, for reasons. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Re: Thinking about getting a vocal mike, need recomendations

Postby itroitnyah » 16 Feb 2014 08:07

something like this would probably be great for you, then.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby S.P.P » 16 Feb 2014 15:02

Shure SM58. Industry standard for live performance due to being sturdy, seldom seen for vocals in studios. ~£90

Behringer C2. The C2's are often used in conjunction with other mics for various things, but depending on your vocal type it could be suitable alone. This is a small diaphragm condenser so it handles higher frequencies well but its not go great at the low end. You can pick up a pair for about £60.

Bluebird. This is one of ny personal favorites. Its specifically designed by Blue for vocals and seems to handle "grittier" vocalists better than pretty falsettos. Its a larger diaphragm condenser so it picks up less high frequencies but more low end than SDC's. I'd recommend this one for sure. About ~£200.

AKG C414 XLS. I thought I'd add in one of the big dogs. This is a high end, professional level condenser microphone that I've used quite a bit and I can say that its pretty damn sweet. It also has an attenuator pad to avoid damage at high SPL, but if you're singing that loud then Id be seriously worried. You can pick one up for about £800.

These are 4 choices I'd personally recommend from experience at various prices. Hopefully its of some use to you, but before you buy ANY mic, do your research. Listen to some recordings done with the mic, that kinda junk.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Injustrial » 16 Feb 2014 15:39

I own both a Shure SM58 and an SE X1 (Best acronym) and for vocal work at home I'd recommend the X1. It sports a lowpass filter and a -10 db switch, the latter has never been used by me, and does a very good job at picking up everything I need it to. Sometimes, it's even a little too sensitive, picking up people walking their dog outside, 4 stories down behind closed windows (I don't even)

http://www.seelectronics.com/se-x1-microphone

The SM58 is kept so I'll have a decent Live mic for upcoming gigs. What I learned about them from my time in the old band, is that they survive pretty much anything. It doesn't pick up all the hisses and whispers I need from a studio mic, but does a nice job at everything overall. I sometimes find myself using it when I need to do the unprocessed shouts and roars, rather than the hoarse screams I'm usually known for, and a lot of traditional singers I've been in contact with swears by it.

However, many I've talked to are hammering the Rode NT1a down my gullet and from what I can tell, they're probably right. When you compare prices and some sample vocal takes (Can't find the link atm) the Rode NT1a has a lot rounder sound than the SE X1, which is a bit bright, and generally seems like it's the best buy. Prices for all of these sit around $100-150 so if you can manage the cash, I'd advice you to go for the Rode. Microphones aren't really something you should be skimping on, and getting the best microphone you could possibly afford seems a good choice
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Injustrial » 16 Feb 2014 15:47

Just found the Dave episode covering microphones. It might be a bit outdated, but that probably means your prices will be lower than what's discussed

Injustrial

Postby Acsii » 17 Feb 2014 03:15

If you're on a budget and just want to be able to plug in the mic and record go with the Shure SM58. However if you have some money and don't necessarily want to 'plug and play' I'd go with the sE 2200a II or the sE X1 with a pop filter.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Injustrial » 17 Feb 2014 12:17

SE X1 is cheaper than the Shure SM58, though. I got mine in a store for £60. Popfilter was included as a special.
Injustrial

Postby Acsii » 17 Feb 2014 17:32

It must have been on special because everywhere I look the sE X1 is more expensive than the SM58.
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Injustrial » 17 Feb 2014 18:28

Hm, noticed that too, for some reason. They didn't have a special on the mic itself, so that's odd. Perhaps they were moving stock and were cutting the SE X1 out or something.

EDIT: Looks like they upped the price again. Sorry for the confusion
Injustrial

Postby Acsii » 18 Feb 2014 05:17

Also it appears that the pop-filter comes with the X1 anyway
Acsii

Postby Injustrial » 18 Feb 2014 11:29

It does? Because I picked one from the shelf while at the store
Injustrial

Postby Conduit » 18 Feb 2014 15:48

I'm using a ART MTwo and I can't complain. I haven't really used it too much for vocals, but it has a nice clean sound all around. Works amazingly for acoustic guitar, and I'd be surprised if you couldn't get some great sounding vox out of it.

Most good mics you'll find, at least for studio use, will have an XLR out on them. I'm pretty sure XLR to 1/4" converters exist, but you might want to look into getting a usb audio interface.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Injustrial » 18 Feb 2014 16:08

Cables are sold with XLR on one end and 1/4" Jack on the other. I've got two, running from my Interface to my monitors

Injustrial

Postby ganondox » 18 Feb 2014 21:47

Conduit wrote:Most good mics you'll find, at least for studio use, will have an XLR out on them. I'm pretty sure XLR to 1/4" converters exist, but you might want to look into getting a usb audio interface.

Actually the reason I need an 1/4" is precisely because I'm using a USB audio interface. Anyway, I could just use a converter like Injustrial brought, but I'd need to get one of those because I don't have an XLR to 1/4" cable. One concern, if it's a condenser mike, would it power correctly? I'm not a sure I really would want a condensor mike either way, because they are more fragile, and so far I think I've had more problems with oversensitivity than under-sensitivity, though it might be just not setting things up properly and having a proper environment.

Anyway, as I don't see myself needing a live mike in the near future because everytime I've sung live so far either a. I didn't need a mike or b. the host provided it, so I guess I'm looking for more of a studio one. For price range, I'm not exactly sure what I can do, but I think 90L is a safe cap. I know I technically could spurg out 200L, but it's a larger percentage than I'm down for spending, and I don't think the 200L mike would be worth buying for me as generally my vocals are more a long the lines of pretty falsetto than something real gritty.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but I'll get to that soon enough.
ganondox

Postby Conduit » 18 Feb 2014 22:10

ganondox wrote:One concern, if it's a condenser mike, would it power correctly?

I forgot to mention this, but most condensers (maybe all?) need 48v phantom power, which is normally provided through the audio interface. I don't know what model you have, but mine and most I've seen have inputs that are dual 1/4 and XLR. Basically just a XLR port with a smaller 1/4 one in the center.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Acsii » 19 Feb 2014 00:59

Conduit wrote:
ganondox wrote:One concern, if it's a condenser mike, would it power correctly?

I forgot to mention this, but most condensers (maybe all?) need 48v phantom power, which is normally provided through the audio interface. I don't know what model you have, but mine and most I've seen have inputs that are dual 1/4 and XLR. Basically just a XLR port with a smaller 1/4 one in the center.

That's why I prefer using tube condensers and dynamics/ribbons because they don't require phantom from the desk/interface (tube condensers have an external PSU that is in-between the desk/interface and the mic)
Acsii

Postby BluNoseReindeer » 02 Apr 2014 01:22

It would help if you posted what type of interface you are using. If you don't have one with phantom power or XLR it's going to be more difficult because you will need adapters and other things to hook up the mic. If you're looking for studio use only vocal Mikes most of the recommendations above are good. Condensers will give you the most clarity and volume for the money.

Some models of microphones I have used for vocals
Sterling audio st51 (my favorite mic)
Audio technica at2020
Blue spark
Blue yeti pro
Shure sm57 (it is the same as the 58 with a different cover)
Shure sm58
And
Aug perception 220

If you need phantom power and want to simplify things the yeti and at2020 have USB versions that hook straight up to the computer with no worries of it. You can also look at the Blue icicle which is an XLR interface that provides power as well.

I can't really make a good recommendation without knowing what you're plugging into the computer with
BluNoseReindeer
Jack of All Trades Musician, Singer, Songwriter and percussionist
BluNoseReindeer

Postby ganondox » 09 Apr 2014 06:06

BluNoseReindeer wrote:It would help if you posted what type of interface you are using. If you don't have one with phantom power or XLR it's going to be more difficult because you will need adapters and other things to hook up the mic. If you're looking for studio use only vocal Mikes most of the recommendations above are good. Condensers will give you the most clarity and volume for the money.

Some models of microphones I have used for vocals
Sterling audio st51 (my favorite mic)
Audio technica at2020
Blue spark
Blue yeti pro
Shure sm57 (it is the same as the 58 with a different cover)
Shure sm58
And
Aug perception 220

If you need phantom power and want to simplify things the yeti and at2020 have USB versions that hook straight up to the computer with no worries of it. You can also look at the Blue icicle which is an XLR interface that provides power as well.

I can't really make a good recommendation without knowing what you're plugging into the computer with

Okay, maybe it's not an audio interface, it's a guitar interface. Behringer UCG102 or something.
ganondox

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice