An instrumentalist list!

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

An instrumentalist list!

Postby Wolfram » 20 Jan 2014 18:51

Hello. I'm sort of new here, so I'm unsure of whether this is the right place to put this topic or not, but I'd like to ask a few questions/put forth a new idea.

Is there such thing as an "instrumentalists list" here? I recently noticed how there is a list for vocalists here, yet there isn't one (at least to my knowledge) for instruments. I know there's been many a time that I've wanted a good instrument solo recorded for a piece, but hadn't had any soloists to record! I imagine that this forum has enough musicianship at its disposal. As such, I believe it would be immensely useful for this forum community to have recording musicians at the ready, willing to help each other out in their work.

_________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT: List-making time! Follow this format, I guess.
<Username>
<Instrument> (You can mention your skill level & playing range if you like)(And be sure to write your transposing pitch, too!)
<Genres/Speciality>
<Audio Quality> (A short description of your setup, including mic and recording program)
<Instrument Recording Sample> (might not be necessary)
<Easiest way to contact you> (Email, MLR, Skype, Youtube, whatever you're on regularly enough that if someone tries to contact you, you can answer quickly.)
<Misc.> Other things. Oh, and one should specify the type of music notation one reads (if at all): for example, tablature, Clef preference, etc.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Last updated: Feb. 4
For example:
Username: Wolfram
Instrument: Buffet Crampon R13 Bb Soprano Clarinet, Boehm system. 7 years of playing. Can reliably achieve (concert pitch) Eb6 down to the standard (concert pitch) D3.
Genres/Specialty: Classical styles, marches, maybe some jazz, anything "normal"-ish, I suppose. I probably can't handle advanced folk music, like klezmer or something.
Audio Quality: An entry-level microphone, the GXL2200. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. 24-bit, usually 96khz. Reaper DAW. No acoustic room treatment. Pretty low noise.
Audio sample: Not available at the moment.
Contact through: MLR, most likely.
Misc.: Classically trained (can read standard notation) on piano four years earlier than when I started playing clarinet, so I can read both clefs. I read more fluently, however, in standard treble clef.

<Username> FLAOFEI
<Instrument> Drum kit. Fairly good I guess, have been talking lessons for 13 years (and have been srs about them for around 5 years). I can play a bunch of fancy words like Mozambique, and I'm a fast learner if you have a specific beat in mind. Speed I can play at (with good timing) is probably around 160 (I think, may have to change that once I try). Also pretty good at rudiments. Drum kit is 2 snares, high, mid, flor tom, double pedal kick (not that good with double pedals yet tho), high hat, ride, crash. Also got a some smaller percussion stuff, bongos, shakers, bells... jews harp.
<Genres/Speciality> Pretty much anything.
<Audio Quality> Samson G track is mic, only one (drum micing is expensive!). Record in FL studio, edison. I think that's about 44kHz sample rate, 16 bit depth. Also, no acoustic treatment to the room.
<Instrument Recording Sample> I have been meaning to get around to this...
<Easiest way to contact you> Skype or MLR message. Skype is FLAOFEI.
<Anything else> And I read most kinds of notes and, tabs for drumms.

<Username> Strawberry Shortcake, but you can call me Gray Ham
<Instrument> Bb Trumpet. I'm pretty great (I'm sorry I'm a trumpet player, I'm supposed to be cocky and exaggerate my ability). I've been playing for I think 9 years now? AMEB Grade 7 if you're Australian, unfortunately didn't have the time to get grade 8 last year. :(
Also, I have cup, harmon, and straight mutes. And quick fingering changes aren't my strong suit.
My range is about E4 to D7 (aiming to get higher over the year), but trumpets sound pretty shitty below F#4.
<Genres/Speciality> Anything really. I'm not entirely comfortable with classical/baroque, but I probably play it better than anything else if I practice it properly. I love playing funk and the like, though.
<Audio Quality> Samson meteor mic and Audacity hurr.
<Instrument Recording Sample> Note that I haven't really recorded trumpet on this mic before, so I'm not entirely sure how I can get the best sound yet. Also, in the middle I recorded with a harmon mute (first with the stem, and then without it) as well.
<Easiest way to contact you> Skype (unKomplex) or Tumblr

<Username> azerty (a.k.a. roflmaoqwerty, SujiNoriteLR)
<Instrument> Piano (6 years), bass guitar (3 years), drums (2 years), vox (i dunno, whenever), steel drums (3 years), and a variety of other stuff; I'm most comfortable with piano, and bass is a close second favourite.
<Genres/Speciality> On piano, I'm primarily skilled at and passionate about jazz, but I also like to play anything from the Romantic or Contemporary eras. On the bass, I usually lean towards jazz and funk, and those are my specialties, but I also enjoy playing melodic-and/or-progressive metal and math rock.
<Audio Quality> My bass amp is a modeling amp, and I have it directly fed into my computer; I also route my (electric) piano through my bass amp. I record in Ableton and fidget with EQs therein, so my sound quality's pretty good, even if it is "too digital."
<Instrument Recording Sample> Don't have one yet, sorry. I haven't really had much reason to record anything yet, but I have recorded some doodling jam sessions, all of which were deleted for suckage/unnecessariness.
<Easiest way to contact you> Contact me on Skype at azertymusic (I set my location as Higashimatsushima, Miyagi, Japan just so I don't get confused with other similar names), or message me on SoundCloud at https://soundcloud.com/azertyuiopmusic.

<Username>Acsii
<Instrument> Electric Gutar. If anyone is curious on the actual guitar, my main guitar is a Maton Ms503, and I also have a Fender Strat. I've been playing guitar for a long time, around 13 years, I'm mostly self taught but I have 6 years of lessons under my belt. In terms of effects I can make pretty much any effects chain you want. For hardware pedals I have a Dunlop Cry Baby Classic, an EHX Big Muff Pi /w Tonewicker, and a Korg AX3G, I also have a large library of software guitar pedals to suite any sound.
<Genres/Speciality> I prefer whatever genre the black keys and the arctic monkeys are, however I play most genres
<Audio Quality> I sound from my guitar/pedalboard go into an analog desk which then goes to some outboard effects (EQ, DSP) which then routes back into the desk for level adjustment and then that is recorded into Logic Pro. I have found that this produces a high quality recording. Also I can record in any sample rate you need, unless it's stupidly high.
<Instrument Recording Sample> I believe that there are some on my soundcloud. Also there is quite a bit of guitar in my song 'Untitled' from my EP
<Easiest way to contact you> Skype (ep_ilogue), and on this site work fine for me
<Anything else> On the line of effects, I am also able to borrow some hardware effects from my friend if that is your preference.

<Username> Stu Beef. I generally go by the alias lokk9 where I post all my musics
<Instruments> Trumpet: played 11 years, studying classically; I can transpose to any key. Range shouldn't be an issue; if you can hear a trumpet playing it I can probably do it (unless you want something comically high or low...we can talk about it).
Guitar: played about 7 years, haven't taken it nearly as seriously as trumpet... Not a classical guitar guy; I can do some finger picking, but I am infinitely more at home with power chords. My guitar skills also translate to the bass guitar; only thing is I cannot slap-a-da bass. Listen to my stuff to get a better idea, really.
Drums: I think I started 4 years ago. I am a bad person and almost never practiced with a metronome, but I record with one! Short of crazy prog drumming, I could probably do anything needed though. I'm more of a boring rock drummer than a jazz drummer, but I understand different grooves and rhythms enough to execute what I need to. May need to quantize my takes just a little bit. I have various sticks, brushes, mallets, etc. if you're looking for different sounds.
<Genres/Speciality> Being "classically trained" in the state university system basically means you should be able to play everything from [J.S.] Bach to [Dave] Brubeck. Since this is all in studio without any real time restraints, don't worry about what I can play unless it's simply impossible on the trumpet.
I'm a shitty metal guitarist. Give me your bluesy licks and trashy riffs and I will give you my raw audio. Give me whatever dude; I'm not an incredible guitar virtuoso so don't ask me to go all Petrucci or whatever, but I got you on pretty much everything else.
As I said, I'm primarily a rock drummer, so lay that 2 and 4 on me. I suppose I'm also influenced by pop, funk, and latin styles, so if that's your thing, cool.
<Audio Quality> Condenser: Rode NT1-A. Also have a Sennheiser e835 and e935 as my beaters basically. Alesis Multimix 8 USB mixer/interface means I can't multi-track when I record drums for example. I do my production in Cubase 5. I do get some noise on my mics, so I have to denoise on certain tracks which removes some character. I can usually do with less denoising if the song itself is more raucous, but it depends.
My approach in terms of mic placement, EQ, etc., is different for every project I do (even if only subtly) so I can get a variety of sounds out of the same stuff.
<Instrument Recording Sample> Here's a bit of a poor example for trumpet. If I wanted to achieve a more characteristic trumpet sound in the mix (something that rings more with some warmth, like in a concert hall) I would have used more mics and maybe even cranked the reverb a touch.You'd probably get a better idea of what I do listening to this song.
<Easiest way to contact you> I check youtube, tumblr, twitter, and soundcloud almost daily. You might be able to occasionally catch me on skype, but only if you actually tell me to get on skype (therefore, we can discuss my SN later).
<Misc.> I read standard notation on trumpet. I could noodle over changes if you wanted, if you actually gave me chords to listen to (my theory is awful).
I mainly read tab on guitar, but I can work out standard notation.
I've never actually read drum music other than some rudiments, so you could either just give me a beat/style and direct me on fills/hits, etc.
I believe I said it on the vocal list as well, but I totally reserve the right (and have exercised it) to refuse to record for you. It probably isn't personal; maybe I'm just busy or whatever. It's sort of different for instrumental stuff because it isn't as characteristically YOU as your voice, but I tend to avoid working on something that might make me uncomfortable, whether it is the specific quality or a design choice or whatever. If you seem cool/intelligible and passionate about whatever is you're working on, I'll probably be down!

Username: SticktheFigure
Instrument: -Piano (Ten years on that, can play advanced pieces. Mainly classical and jazz, but I'm able to play whatever given enough time to learn something.)
-Saxophone (...7 years? I don't play much anymore so I should be more of a fifth resort.)
Genres/Speciality: I play mainly "classical" music for my piano lessons and jazz music at my school.
Audio Quality: I have a Baldwin piano, though that isn't tuned currently. I also have a Korg SP-170 and a Yamaha SY22. As far as recording, I'm running with a Zoom H4n microphone and Audacity.
Easiest way to contact you: Gmail: [email protected] (that's the fastest it gets because I get a text as soon as I get an email. If you want a second method of contact from there, we can figure something out.)
Misc.: I can read typical sheet music, lead sheets, and just chord patterns. Because I play piano, I can read bass and treble clef, full range.

Username: Jokeblue
Instrument:- Guitar (electric/acoustic) - I play an Ibanez Iceman STM-1, an Ibanez Destroyer DT520FM, a Kramer Ferrington Semi-acoustic, and a very well done-up Ashton acoustic. Not sure how long i've been playing for, something like 3 - 5 years now I think. I got pretty good though :3
- Bass (electric/acoustic) - I play a German-made Warwick Corvette, and an Ibanez 5-string acoustic bass. Been playing for something like 6 or 7 years. Had lessons to the point where my teacher said I didn't really need them anymore, so I guess I could say i'm doing alright in terms of chops. However I can't play slap bass very well and orient more towards melodic styles.
Genres/Speciality: I could list a lot of sub-genre's here but to save space i'm just going to write Rock, Metal, and things with guitar and bass. I'm not a shred guitarist, but I can write lead-ish lines and small solos and stuff. I can write lyrics, too. Writing music and songs is my thing but i'm also up for whatever :3
Audio Quality: I record direct-in through a POD effects unit to an M-Audio Fast Track into Protools. For acoustic I record with a basic mic through the same setup. I haven't been recording for very long, maybe about a year now. Always willing to learn new stuf though - there's plenty of EQ and audio options to play around with.
Easiest way to contact you: Gmail: [email protected]
Instrument Recording Sample: I don't have anything up of just solo instruments, but have a look at my soundcloud if you want to hear some of the stuff i've made. If you want an example of my lyric writing, check out Starlight by Greenphine, as I wrote the lyrics to that. (Please read the lyrics in the description because they're how the vox are supposed to go. The singer got some parts wrong and while most the time it's kind of a minor mistake, if he went with what I wrote it would have sounded a bit smoother and nicer, and the end of the second verse would have kept the meaning I intended for it to have eheh...)
Misc: I have a pretty good ear which I kinda rely on, so I work a lot of stuff out by listening to it. Can't read sheet music all that well, but if you have MIDI files or something of the sort I have tools I can use to make it work. May as well also say I have a mandolin and i'm learning with that? So that's something. Uh, I can also do low scream (false chord) vocals.

<Username> Pyrelight.
<Instrument> Electric guitar I've played for about 10 years in various styles. I'm not a virtuoso but I'm pretty good I suppose. I play a Schecter Omen 8(string) through a Line 6 Spider IV so I can get any kind of tone I want out of it really.
Acoustic guitar is something I picked up about 4/5 years ago and haven't really put as much time in as I did with the electric. Still proficient though and I can play all the finger-picky stuff if that's your bag.
<Genres/Speciality> I'll play most genres of rock and metal but I kinda shine when it comes to percussive funk-rock/funk metal playing. Think Nuno Bettencount (this guy) and you'll have a basic idea.
<Audio Quality> Blue Snowball through to my computer. Not awful, not amazing. If time isn't an issue though I can book time in the studio at college and then I have any choice of mic I want through the desk.
<Instrument Recording Sample> I don't have one right now, but I'll get one soon. If there still isn't one here then just get hold on me and I'll bash out something quick for ya'.
<Easiest way to contact you> Grab hold of me on Skype (pyr3light) or PM me on here.
<Misc> I'm also a pretty good vocalist in a range of styles in rock/metal, singer/songwriter, screamo and rap(ish?).

<Username> Kurt Baer (I often do things in the community as part of Research is Magic / RiM)
<Instrument> Saxophone (Soprano, Alto, or Tenor). I'm a classically trained player with a degree in performance. I'm a little rusty at the moment, but still perform fairly regularly.
<Genres/Speciality> Classical, Jazz, Pop/Rock, Avant Garde. My altissimo jazz chops are crap right now, but I am confident I can work up anything that someone might need me for.
<Audio Quality> I own a Blue Yeti Pro, but I can pretty easily get access to better recording equipment.
<Instrument Recording Sample> I don't have much of my stuff on the web right now. I can get some past performances up if wanted. I recently did this (quick/simple) cover of "The Smile Song" (I also played the crappy uke part... but let's not talk about that) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-35KMMRWtA
<Easiest way to contact you> [email protected] or through my research blog (researchismagic.org)
<Misc> I'm a PhD student in Ethnomusicology with a performance background. I'm currently involved in an ethnographic study of the fandom, which caused me to dive into the brony music scene. I figured that it would be fun to try my hand in the music scene a bit. I'm always looking for another excuse to play.
Last edited by Wolfram on 05 Feb 2014 15:51, edited 41 times in total.
Sander Cohen wrote:"Presto, PRESTO! No, NO! ...Once again, young Fitzpatrick."
-Sander Cohen, speaking to his captive pianist
Wolfram

Primary: REAPER
Cutie Mark: A Segno Yin-Yang

Re: An instrumentalist list?

Postby Gray Ham » 20 Jan 2014 20:04

Uh, I don't think a poll is necessary. Discussion would be needed with this stuff, not numbers. And to be honest, I'd be down with this.
(if there is a list, put me down for trumpet)
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby CitricAcid » 20 Jan 2014 20:28

I'd put myself down for horn, but I lack a microphone. I'll get one eventually.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Wolfram » 20 Jan 2014 20:50

Ok. Removed poll.

But to be honest, I wasn't planning on making this the list topic itself. That being said, I'm sure I could make do with some editing. I think I might base this thread off of the existing vocalists list.

Edit: Perhaps a format like this? (Pretty much copypasted from the vocalists' thread)
<Username>
<Instrument> (You can mention your skill level & playing range if you like)(And be sure to write your transposing pitch, too!)
<Genres/Speciality>
<Audio Quality> (A short description of your setup, including mic and recording program)
<Instrument Recording Sample> (might not be necessary)
<Easiest way to contact you> (Email, MLR, Skype, Youtube, whatever you're on regularly enough that if someone tries to contact you, you can answer quickly.)
<Anything else>

Edit 2: Oh, and another thing. When dealing with the actual recording process, perhaps one should specify the type of music notation one reads (if at all): for example, tablature, Clef preference, etc. One should also make note of the transposing pitch your instrument is in. This should streamline the process of converting a midi file to sheet music when needed.
Wolfram

Postby FLAOFEI » 21 Jan 2014 04:23

Oh,oh! Let me try!

<Username> FLAOFEI (why do we even have to write that anyway? )
<Instrument> Drum kit. Fairly good I guess, have been talking lessons for 13 years (and have been srs about them for around 5 years). I can play a bunch of fancy words like Mozambique, and I'm a fast learner if you have a specific beat in mind. Speed I can play at (with good timing) is probably around 160 (I think, may have to change that once I try). Also pretty good at rudiments. Drum kit is 2 snares, high, mid, flor tom, double pedal kick (not that good with double pedals yet tho), high hat, ride, crash. Also got a some smaller percussion stuff, bongos, shakers, bells... jews harp.
<Genres/Speciality> Pretty much anything.
<Audio Quality> Samson G track is mic, only one (drum micing is expensive!). Record in FL studio, edison. I think that's about 44kHz sample rate, 16 bit depth. Also, no acoustic treatment to the room.
<Instrument Recording Sample> I have been meaning to get around to this...
<Easiest way to contact you> Skype or MLR message. Skype is FLAOFEI.
<Anything else> And I read most kinds of notes and, tabs for drumms.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Wolfram » 21 Jan 2014 15:37

FLAOFEI wrote: <Username> FLAOFEI (why do we even have to write that anyway? )

I dunno. Eliminate ambiguity with multiple accounts, perhaps?
Wolfram

Postby Gray Ham » 21 Jan 2014 19:35

<Username> Strawberry Shortcake, but you can call me Gray Ham
<Instrument> Bb Trumpet. I'm pretty great (I'm sorry I'm a trumpet player, I'm supposed to be cocky and exaggerate my ability). I've been playing for I think 9 years now? AMEB Grade 7 if you're Australian, unfortunately didn't have the time to get grade 8 last year. :(
Also, I have cup, harmon, and straight mutes. And quick fingering changes aren't my strong suit.
My range is about E4 to D7 (aiming to get higher over the year), but trumpets sound pretty shitty below F#4.
<Genres/Speciality> Anything really. I'm not entirely comfortable with classical/baroque, but I probably play it better than anything else if I practice it properly. I love playing funk and the like, though.
<Audio Quality> Samson meteor mic and Audacity hurr.
<Instrument Recording Sample> Note that I haven't really recorded trumpet on this mic before, so I'm not entirely sure how I can get the best sound yet. Also, in the middle I recorded with a harmon mute (first with the stem, and then without it) as well.
<Easiest way to contact you> Skype (unKomplex) or Tumblr

EDIT: Also, I don't think this is the right category for this. I'm not sure where is the best, but it's probably not here. Mods?
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby Wolfram » 21 Jan 2014 20:24

Gray Ham wrote:EDIT: Also, I don't think this is the right category for this. I'm not sure where is the best, but it's probably not here. Mods?

Good point, but I suppose I was just "going with the flow" and putting this thread in the same place as the vocalists' thread. I would suppose that this (and the vocalists' list) belongs in the "Pony Fan Project Recruitment" section, but it seems strange that that section is within the "pony fandom discussion" group.

Edit: Also, why aren't these sorts of threads stickied? Surely such recruitment lists had ought to be made clearly visible.
Wolfram

Postby azerty » 22 Jan 2014 19:01

<Username> azerty (a.k.a. roflmaoqwerty, SujiNoriteLR)
<Instrument> Piano (6 years), bass guitar (3 years), drums (2 years), vox (i dunno, whenever), steel drums (3 years), and a variety of other stuff; I'm most comfortable with piano, and bass is a close second favourite.
<Genres/Speciality> On piano, I'm primarily skilled at and passionate about jazz, but I also like to play anything from the Romantic or Contemporary eras. On the bass, I usually lean towards jazz and funk, and those are my specialties, but I also enjoy playing melodic-and/or-progressive metal and math rock.
<Audio Quality> My bass amp is a modeling amp, and I have it directly fed into my computer; I also route my (electric) piano through my bass amp. I record in Ableton and fidget with EQs therein, so my sound quality's pretty good, even if it is "too digital."
<Instrument Recording Sample> Don't have one yet, sorry. I haven't really had much reason to record anything yet, but I have recorded some doodling jam sessions, all of which were deleted for suckage/unnecessariness.
<Easiest way to contact you> Contact me on Skype at azertymusic (I set my location as Higashimatsushima, Miyagi, Japan just so I don't get confused with other similar names), or message me on SoundCloud at https://soundcloud.com/azertyuiopmusic.
My YouTube (everything except music)
My SoundCloud
My Twitter @azertymusic (...wait, I have a Twitter?)

>>16555555
azerty

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: The Shogun Audio symbol

Re: An instrumentalist list!

Postby Acsii » 23 Jan 2014 17:38

<Username>Acsii
<Instrument> Electric Gutar. If anyone is curious on the actual guitar, my main guitar is a Maton Ms503, and I also have a Fender Strat. I've been playing guitar for a long time, around 13 years, I'm mostly self taught but I have 6 years of lessons under my belt. In terms of effects I can make pretty much any effects chain you want. For hardware pedals I have a Dunlop Cry Baby Classic, an EHX Big Muff Pi /w Tonewicker, and a Korg AX3G, I also have a large library of software guitar pedals to suite any sound.
<Genres/Speciality>I prefer whatever genre the black keys and the arctic monkeys are, however I play most genres
<Audio Quality> I sound from my guitar/pedalboard go into an analog desk which then goes to some outboard effects (EQ, DSP) which then routes back into the desk for level adjustment and then that is recorded into Logic Pro. I have found that this produces a high quality recording. Also I can record in any sample rate you need, unless it's stupidly high.
<Instrument Recording Sample> I believe that there are some on my soundcloud. Also there is quite a bit of guitar in my song 'Untitled' from my EP
<Easiest way to contact you> Skype (ep_ilogue), and on this site work fine for me

EDIT: on the line of effects, I am also able to borrow some hardware effects from my friend if that is your preference.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Stu Beef » 25 Jan 2014 01:46

I'm down to track a lil sumt sumt if I think you're working on something cool

<Username> Stu Beef. I generally go by the alias lokk9 where I post all my musics

<Instruments> Trumpet: played 11 years, studying classically, I can transpose whatever key so that doesn't really matter (why would you write in something other than C or Bb anyway?). Range shouldn't be an issue; if you can hear a trumpet playing it I can probably do it (unless you want something comically high or low...we can talk about it).
Guitar: played about 7 years, haven't taken it nearly as seriously as trumpet so I'm not as good as I should be...but I'm better than you! I'm definitely not a classical guitar guy, but I can do some finger picky shit a la Dust in the Wind or something, but I am infinitely more at home with power chords. My (tenor? i dunno) guitar skills also translate to the bass guitar; only thing is I cannot slap-a-da bass. Listen to my stuff to get a better idea, really.
Drums: I think I picked up the kit about 4 years ago. I am a bad person and pretty much never practiced with a metronome, but I record with one! Short of crazy prog drumming, I could probably do whatever you need me to do though. I'm more of a boring rock drummer than a jazz drummer, but I understand different grooves and rhythms enough to execute what I need to. May need to quantize my takes just a little bit. I've got different sticks, brushes, and mallets too if you're looking for different sounds.

<Genres/Speciality> Being "classically trained" in the state university system basically means you should be able to play everything from [J.S.] Bach to [Dave] Brubeck. Since we're doing this in studio without any massive time restraints, don't worry about what I can play unless it's actually just impossible to do on the trumpet.

I'm a shitty metal guitarist. Give me your bluesy licks and trashy riffs and I will give you my raw audio. Give me whatever dude; I'm not an incredible guitar virtuoso so don't ask me to go all Petrucci or whatever, but I got you on pretty much everything else.

As I said, I'm primarily a rock drummer, so lay that 2 and 4 on me. I suppose I'm also influenced by pop, funk, and latin styles, so if that's your thing, cool.

<Audio Quality> My go to condenser is my Rode NT1-A. I also have a Sennheiser e835 and e935 as my beaters basically. I run them through my Alesis MULTMIX 8 USB!!! mixer/interface which means I can't multi-track when I record drums for example. I do my production in Cubase 5 but that shouldn't matter to you if I'm tracking for your project. I do get quite a bit of noise on my mics, so I have to denoise on certain tracks which sucks a bit of the character out. I can usually get away with not doing a whole lot of denoising if the song itself is more raucous, but it depends. Whatever, slap some compression on that shit and call it a day.

My approach in terms of mic placement and EQ and all that is different for every project I do (even if it is only in subtle ways) so I can get a lot of different sounds out of the same stuff.

<Instrument Recording Sample> Here's a bit of a poor example for trumpet: http://neuronicimpulses.tumblr.com/post ... qus_thread
if I wanted to achieve a more characteristic trumpet sound in the mix (something that rings more with some warmth, like in a concert hall) I would have used more mics and maybe even cranked the reverb a touch.

You'd probably get a better idea of what I do listening to this song: https://soundcloud.com/slayerzogz/nightmare-night

<Easiest way to contact you> I check youtube, tumblr, twitter, and soundcloud just about everyday. You miiiight be able to occasionally catch me on skype, but only if you actually tell me to get on skype (therefore, we can talk about my SN later).

<Misc.> I read standard, western notation on trumpet. I could noodle over changes if you wanted me to if you actually gave me chords to listen to (my theory is awful).
I mainly read tab on guitar, but I can work out standard notation.
I've never actually read drum music other than some rudiments, so you could either just give me a beat/style and direct me on fills/hits or just like beat box at me over skype or something.

I believe I said it on the vocal list as well, but I totally reserve the right (and have exercised it) to refuse to record for you. It probably isn't personal; maybe I'm just busy or whatever. It's sort of different for instrumental stuff because it isn't as characteristically YOU as your voice, but I tend to avoid working on something that might make me uncomfortable, whether it is the specific quality or a design choice or whatever. If you seem cool/intelligible and passionate about whatever is you're working on, I'll probably be down!
Stu Beef

Postby Wolfram » 25 Jan 2014 19:50

Holy balls, Stu. That was a long post. Might we be able to trim it down a little? It currently takes up 3 times the space of a normal block in the list.

That being said, I do appreciate the detail you're willing to put into this.

Edit: Paraphrased and shortened what I could.
Wolfram

Postby Stu Beef » 25 Jan 2014 23:07

Haha, sorry. If you took a look at my post history you would see that I can be pretty long winded; just trying to be thorough and honest!
Stu Beef

Postby SticktheFigure » 26 Jan 2014 01:16

Username: SticktheFigure
Instrument: -Piano (Ten years on that, can play advanced pieces. Mainly classical and jazz, but I'm able to play whatever given enough time to learn something.)
-Saxophone (...7 years? I don't play much anymore so I should be more of a fifth resort.)
Genres/Speciality: I play mainly "classical" music for my piano lessons and jazz music at my school.
Audio Quality: I have a Baldwin piano, though that isn't tuned currently. I also have a Korg SP-170 and a Yamaha SY22. As far as recording, I'm running with a Zoom H4n microphone and Audacity.
Easiest way to contact you: Gmail: [email protected] (that's the fastest it gets because I get a text as soon as I get an email. If you want a second method of contact from there, we can figure something out.)
Misc.: I can read typical sheet music, lead sheets, and just chord patterns. Because I play piano, I can read bass and treble clef, full range.
Spoiler woof:
Jokeblue wrote:the avatar of one of the guys who donated pretty much sums up how this is going
Keyboard: Yamaha Sy22 DAW: FLStudio 10 VST: Massive, Zeta+ 2
SticktheFigure

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Piano

Postby Jokeblue » 29 Jan 2014 08:21

Why the hell not?

Username: Jokeblue
Instrument:- Guitar (electric/acoustic) - I play an Ibanez Iceman STM-1, an Ibanez Destroyer DT520FM, a Kramer Ferrington Semi-acoustic, and a very well done-up Ashton acoustic. Not sure how long i've been playing for, something like 3 - 5 years now I think. I got pretty good though :3
- Bass (electric/acoustic) - I play a German-made Warwick Corvette, and an Ibanez 5-string acoustic bass. Been playing for something like 6 or 7 years. Had lessons to the point where my teacher said I didn't really need them anymore, so I guess I could say i'm doing alright in terms of chops. However I can't play slap bass very well and orient more towards melodic styles.
Genres/Speciality: I could list a lot of sub-genre's here but to save space i'm just going to write Rock, Metal, and things with guitar and bass. I'm not a shred guitarist, but I can write lead-ish lines and small solos and stuff. I can write lyrics, too. Writing music and songs is my thing but i'm also up for whatever :3
Audio Quality: I record direct-in through a POD effects unit to an M-Audio Fast Track into Protools. For acoustic I record with a basic mic through the same setup. I haven't been recording for very long, maybe about a year now. Always willing to learn new stuff though - there's plenty of EQ and audio options to play around with.
Easiest way to contact you: Gmail: [email protected]
Instrument Recording Sample: I don't have anything up of just solo instruments, but have a look at my soundcloud if you want to hear some of the stuff I've made. If you want an example of my lyric writing, check out Starlight by Greenphine, as I wrote the lyrics to that. (Please read the lyrics in the description because they're how the vox are supposed to go. The singer got some parts wrong and while most the time it's kind of a minor mistake, if he went with what I wrote it would have sounded a bit smoother and nicer, and the end of the second verse would have kept the meaning I intended for it to have eheh...)
Misc: I have a pretty good ear which I kinda rely on, so I work a lot of stuff out by listening to it. Can't read sheet music all that well, but if you have MIDI files or something of the sort I have tools I can use to make it work. May as well also say I have a mandolin and i'm learning with that? So that's something. Uh, I can also do low scream (false chord) vocals.

I wonder if I forgot anything. I probably totally did. I do that. anwyay have the thing ans do the stuff or whatevs im going to go to sleep naoww. It's late.... or alternativelyy really early. K.
Last edited by Jokeblue on 01 Feb 2014 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby ExoBassTix » 30 Jan 2014 01:14

@Jokeblue, one detail: get rid of the capital J in your gmail address. If I'd sent an email to the address with the J, I won't get a message that it wasn't received, and you won't receive it (at least, that's what experience tells me).
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Jokeblue » 01 Feb 2014 04:24

ExoBassTix wrote:@Jokeblue, one detail: get rid of the capital J in your gmail address. If I'd sent an email to the address with the J, I won't get a message that it wasn't received, and you won't receive it (at least, that's what experience tells me).

Woah, really? Aight I'll fix it then. Thanks :3
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby S.P.P » 04 Feb 2014 06:05

<Username> Pyrelight.
<Instrument> Electric guitar I've played for about 10 years in various styles. I'm not a virtuoso but I'm pretty good I suppose. I play a Schecter Omen 8(string) through a Line 6 Spider IV so I can get any kind of tone I want out of it really.
Acoustic guitar is something I picked up about 4/5 years ago and haven't really put as much time in as I did with the electric. Still proficient though and I can play all the finger-picky stuff if that's your bag.
<Genres/Speciality> I'll play most genres of rock and metal but I kinda shine when it comes to percussive funk-rock/funk metal playing. Think Nuno Bettencount (this guy) and you'll have a basic idea.
<Audio Quality> Blue Snowball through to my computer. Not awful, not amazing. If time isn't an issue though I can book time in the studio at college and then I have any choice of mic I want through the desk.
<Instrument Recording Sample> I don't have one right now, but I'll get one soon. If there still isn't one here then just get hold on me and I'll bash out something quick for ya'.
<Easiest way to contact you> Grab hold of me on Skype (pyr3light) or PM me on here.
<Misc> I'm also a pretty good vocalist in a range of styles in rock/metal, singer/songwriter, screamo and rap(ish?).
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Wolfram » 04 Feb 2014 20:33

You know what the coolest thing would be (that probably would never happen)?

It would be if we could gather enough musicians to create a huge purely instrumental song using only the recordings from the musicians on this site. That would be cool (but, as I said, it might be too great a feat to accomplish). Like a virtual band or something.
Wolfram

Postby kurtbaer » 05 Feb 2014 00:07

<Username> Kurt Baer (I often do things in the community as part of Research is Magic / RiM)
<Instrument> Saxophone (Soprano, Alto, or Tenor). I'm a classically trained player with a degree in performance. I'm a little rusty at the moment, but still perform fairly regularly.
<Genres/Speciality> Classical, Jazz, Pop/Rock, Avant Garde. My altissimo jazz chops are crap right now, but I am confident I can work up anything that someone might need me for.
<Audio Quality> I own a Blue Yeti Pro, but I can pretty easily get access to better recording equipment.
<Instrument Recording Sample> I don't have much of my stuff on the web right now. I can get some past performances up if wanted. I recently did this (quick/simple) cover of "The Smile Song" (I also played the crappy uke part... but let's not talk about that) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-35KMMRWtA
<Easiest way to contact you> [email protected] or through my research blog (researchismagic.org)
<Misc> I'm a PhD student in Ethnomusicology with a performance background. I'm currently involved in an ethnographic study of the fandom, which caused me to dive into the brony music scene. I figured that it would be fun to try my hand in the music scene a bit. I'm always looking for another excuse to play.
kurtbaer

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby FLAOFEI » 06 Feb 2014 19:44

Wolfram wrote:You know what the coolest thing would be (that probably would never happen)?

It would be if we could gather enough musicians to create a huge purely instrumental song using only the recordings from the musicians on this site. That would be cool (but, as I said, it might be too great a feat to accomplish). Like a virtual band or something.

You mean like a big colab thing? I don't see why this would be so hard... It should work, if you come up with a good system to make it work... Could maby be done a bit like the Legacy of Discord projects... I think such dicussions should have their own thread though.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Feedback » 03 Apr 2014 23:37

<Username> Feedback
<Instrument> Guitar, both acoustic and electric(10 years, 8 years of formal lessons). For skill level, I don't really consider myself particularly advanced, but I have done session work for a local studio before I came to college, for what that's worth. Have enough variability in guitars/amps/pedals/etc. that I can cover pretty much any tonal base you want. Bass guitar(5 years). Solid, but honestly I just play when I need to have a bass track on my music, so you can probably find better choices for bass that actually practice it regularly. I'm available if need-be though!
<Genres/Speciality> Pretty much anything short of super-intricate fingerpicking or high-speed technical music(Not for lack of trying! Dysgraphia has a funny way of making three bars of either genre exhausting). Rock, country, blues, metal, prog, folk, electronic if you can think of a guitar part that'll fit into electronic music, jazz, I'm happy to play whatever I'm capable of playing. Home base is definitely rock and blues though.
<Audio Quality> Acoustic is a Taylor 814ce running through an Audio-Technica AT2035 into Logic Pro X. Guitar is typically a slightly modded Fender Stratocaster into Logic Pro's amp sims(Dorm noise restrictions make getting an amp loud enough to work impossible), which actually sound surprisingly good for amp sims. I can also hook up a telecaster, a PRS copy, and a Carvin if you don't want a stratocaster sound.
<Instrument Recording Sample> This is the only thing I've actually posted that has both acoustic and electric in it, and also is indicative of what I'm working with now. Most of the other clips on my Soundcloud are from when all I had was Garageband and an SM57 to work with. I'll try and get some more specific clips soon.
<Easiest way to contact you> Send me a message on here, or shoot me an email. I have a few addresses, but the one I check most often is probably [email protected].
<Misc.> I am swamped with college at the moment, so for another four or five weeks I can't promise how quickly I can record what you need(No longer than a week or two unless I have something like three tests that week). Once summer 2014 rolls around though, I am very available and very excited to help. I should also be much more available even once I'm back in school, as this is a particularly intense semester for me. I can read sheet music in both clefs, as well as tabs. I can't sight read, but I can read it, understand it, then play it.

Here's hoping I can help someone with their project(s) :grin:
Feedback

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Two tied eighth notes

Postby topitmunkeydog » 05 Apr 2014 12:56

<Username> topitmunkeydog
<Instrument> i play piano, ukulele, and pennywhistle. I have a acoustic guitar but I just started learning so u don't want that. And my accordion is broken. and slide whistle, but just as a joke. (also I think i have bongos somewhere? they're pretty awful quality though)
<Genres/Speciality> classical?? Ambient??? yes I like all the genres.
<Audio Quality> I'd record with Audacity and my mic is a Blue Snowball
<Instrument Recording Sample> https://soundcloud.com/topitmunkeydog/c ... -anonymity
<Easiest way to contact you> [email protected] or topitmunkeydog.tumblr.com
<Misc.> I can read sheet music
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice