Site Feedback and News

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Site Feedback and News

Postby Jokeblue » 20 Jan 2014 08:57

It's locked indefinitely. Stuff happened and Makkon rolled through saying he wanted the NSFW stuff purged, so the DWM discussion was removed and while they were at it Freewave was demoted and banned for contributing to the discussion (pronounced having a different opinion to Circuitfry), Makkon personally said that the Spam thread was an abused privilege and "Needed to die", and Kyoga copped a little shit from some peeps who didn't seem to get that he was just 'the enforcer' doing what the higher ups told him to do.

As friends on Skype wrote:"Basically: Makkon wanted MLR cleaned up of NSFW topics and stuff, and then circuitfry wandered through and saw that as an opportunity to bump off Freewave and his views on DWM

The problem now is, Circuit and Freewave won't talk to each other, Makkon doesn't want to get involved with what Circuit is trying to do, and Kyoga is stuck in the middle with not enough power to fix things on his own"

And so now, a great Admin's gone, and the most used thread which was a really easy and good way to talk about nothing with friends has been torched and amounts to nothing. For now, it's all gone.

That's what has happened recently in the MLR world while you were away, Topit.

Also while i'm here, I may as well say that the demotion and banning of Freewave is a bad move (and this isn't aimed at Kyoga - I understand you were just doing what you had to). Freewave was excellent, and I got the impression that he was actually trying hard to improve the site and keep it going. Hell, he even created FiMmusic in an attempt to generate more traffic, right?

He should not have been demoted and banned solely because he disagreed/had an opposing opinion and continued a discussion about "Down With Molestia", which is a current thing in the fandom, and last I checked this place is a pony site. Hell, Next time anything happens in the fandom we may as well be completely ignorant to it and not say a word - because of course not everyone will be happy and not everyone will agree, so why even bother voicing an opinion or discussing a matter? What good could come of that?

It was most definitely a bad decision to remove Freewave. I'm quite shocked/upset/pissed as a few are about this sudden turn of events and how easily you can make things just go to hell around here.
Last edited by Jokeblue on 20 Jan 2014 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby LFP » 20 Jan 2014 09:39

I want to add to what jokeblue said:

I might be biased when I say this since I consider freewave my friend and a great guy but; IMO banning and demoting Freewave has to be one of the most stupid decisions I've ever seen...

Freewave is probably the guy who puts the most effort into helping this fandom out of everyone in it.
He runs like what, 3 music blogs that supports brony music? as well as (previously) being an admin on MLR helping moderate and contributing/creating.

Now just because he does all this doesn't but him above the rules, obviously if he breaks them, he'll get punished like everyone else... but instantly getting banned without any warning what-so-ever?? -no one deserves that unless they did something really horrible intentionally, which knowing freewave; I don't think he did, in fact I'm pretty sure if someone (who had an objective view on the whole thing) told him "Hey that's pretty NSFW, it's against the rules and could get people like makkon in huge amounts of trouble" he would've simply removed/edited/censored his comments.

I don't get where the whole "Freewave supports rape culture" things came from since I was actually asleep when this happened, but I'm pretty sure it a huuuge overreaction.

Also I only have 600 posts now :p
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jan 2014 09:47

Adding onto what they all said above, banning and demoting Freewave was by far the worst decision I've ever seen made on this forum. I'm directing this at Circuitfry/Makkon, not at Kyoga as I understand he was just doing what he was told.

I'm not friends with Freewave. I disagree and argue with him a lot. But he was trying his best to help the forum get out of its "about 25 regular members" stage and get back on its feet. He was one of the precious few people who legitimately cared about the fandom. Like LFP said, he runs like 3 blogs and was pretty much the only consistently active and participating one of the admins or the moderators. Him being gone is going to do far more harm than good.

Obviously he still has to follow the rules, but he didn't even break any as far as I know. He was banned for disagreeing with Circuitfry, that's all. Very mature.

But yeah, just get rid of what was by far the largest and most active thread on the forum because it was an "abused privilege" and "needed to die". Don't give any reason or anything, nobody will mind losing the one place to just hang around and chat on this forum.

I doubt I'll be hanging around much longer. Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure yet. Unless I get banned for disagreeing with Circuitfry and Makkon, then I definitely won't be hanging around.
Nine Volt

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 20 Jan 2014 09:56

To be fair, there's the IRC chatroom which none of you ever use.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Jokeblue » 20 Jan 2014 10:00

LFP wrote:I don't get where the whole "Freewave supports rape culture" things came from since I was actually asleep when this happened, but I'm pretty sure it a huuuge overreaction.

I see it in actuality as less of a "Freewave Supports Rape Culture" and more of a "Freewave had a different opinion to somebody else, who took the moral high ground and smite the bad man down for continuing the discussion of a controversial current event in the fandom"

Nine Volt wrote:Unless I get banned for disagreeing with Circuitfry and Makkon, then I definitely won't be hanging around.

What's to say that we won't be? Freewave's been made an example of, we better not speak out against the higher ups for fear of following his fate!

Jokeblue

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jan 2014 10:01

CaptainFluffatun wrote:To be fair, there's the IRC chatroom which none of you ever use.

Maybe that's because we preferred an actual thread as it's a lot easier and more intuitive to use? Just a thought.

that sounds more dickish than i thought it would sorry

Also I'm pretty sure they (ie admins and such) said that there's not to be any non-music discussion in the chatroom that nobody uses.
Nine Volt

Postby Gray Ham » 20 Jan 2014 10:09

Jumping on the bandwagon. Freewave really cares about this music community and if it ever gets back on its feet again, I can guarantee that he will play a part in it.

I completely understand the spam thread. I was surprised at it, but then I read the last three pages, and they were all fucking stupid. It probably needed to get locked after that. It's a spam thread, but not a "post entire scripts of movies and the same post multiple times in a row because you're desperate for attention thread".

EDIT: And yes everyone use the IRC, it's great.
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jan 2014 10:12

I don't remember the last few pages, were they just talking about people who got banned?
Nine Volt

Postby Gray Ham » 20 Jan 2014 10:14

ack, I just edited my post.

Gray Ham wrote:It's a spam thread, but not a "post entire scripts of movies and the same post multiple times in a row because you're desperate for attention thread".
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jan 2014 10:15

Didn't Alycs get warned for that? I remember it was cleaned up at least. Or was he not the only one?

Either way I don't think it was necessary to lock and delete it.
Nine Volt

Postby CitricAcid » 20 Jan 2014 10:16

Freewave is banned? Aw, he seemed like a cool guy. I might have to go join another forum he's a part of just to hang out more. Or at least exist in the same place as more. The demoted thing doesn't bother me so much; he's probably got enough on his plate with all the music blogs and such. So who does that leave as admins here?

I never really used the spam thread. I would read it on occasion, but I'm not one to just blather on about whatever and/or bolster my post count with nonsense.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Alycs » 20 Jan 2014 10:18

Nine Volt wrote:Didn't Alycs get warned for that? I remember it was cleaned up at least. Or was he not the only one?

Either way I don't think it was necessary to lock and delete it.

I didn't get warned but I was trying to put a spoiler tag on it and it wasn't working and it messed it up a lot... then a lot of people started quoting it and it really got out of hand I'm really sorry about all that

----

Anyway, I was actually behind the DWM movement, but the fact that Freewave - who was arguably THE HARDEST WORKING member of this site, the one running multiple blogs and actively trying to make it better - got banned for politely holding a different opinion is frankly immature and unforgivably childish.

As for the spam thread, I'm okay with it I suppose. I'm really sorry for posting that script; I thought it would be funny at the time and didn't know it would become such a huge problem (though in retrospect I probably should have forseen it)
Last edited by Alycs on 20 Jan 2014 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jan 2014 10:19

CitricAcid wrote:Freewave is banned? Aw, he seemed like a cool guy. I might have to go join another forum he's a part of just to hang out more. Or at least exist in the same place as more. The demoted thing doesn't bother me so much; he's probably got enough on his plate with all the music blogs and such. So who does that leave as admins here?

Current admins are Stars in Autumn, Makkon, Circuitfry, and Kyoga.

I never really used the spam thread. I would read it on occasion, but I'm not one to just blather on about whatever and/or bolster my post count with nonsense.

That's the problem. People who don't know better think the spam thread is just endless assholes spamming ":3" to get huge post counts or bullshit like that, when it was actually the center for just hanging around and chatting with other members and sharing cool or funny stuff. It isn't endless ":3" spam. Not anymore, at least. It used to be and I apologize for contributing to that, but that stage is long gone.
Nine Volt

Postby CitricAcid » 20 Jan 2014 10:24

Nine Volt wrote:People who don't know better think the spam thread is just endless assholes spamming ":3" to get huge post counts or bullshit like that, when it was actually the center for just hanging around and chatting with other members and sharing cool or funny stuff. It isn't endless ":3" spam. Not anymore, at least. It used to be and I apologize for contributing to that, but that stage is long gone.

And I did my part in hanging out there, as long as lurking counts as "hanging out." But we'll find new places to hang out. Right now it seems we're all hanging out in this thread instead.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Postby Jokeblue » 20 Jan 2014 10:35

CitricAcid wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:People who don't know better think the spam thread is just endless assholes spamming ":3" to get huge post counts or bullshit like that, when it was actually the center for just hanging around and chatting with other members and sharing cool or funny stuff. It isn't endless ":3" spam. Not anymore, at least. It used to be and I apologize for contributing to that, but that stage is long gone.

And I did my part in hanging out there, as long as lurking counts as "hanging out." But we'll find new places to hang out. Right now it seems we're all hanging out in this thread instead.

We're here with reason, of course.

I second everything that Nine volt has said. The endless spam days of the spam thread are far behind us. We moved on. I also apologise for my contribution to all that; I was still relatively new to the site and thought that was the thing you did. Sorry to say that J-Synth will have to change his signature now, I haven't even thought about trying to break the :3 record for a long time.

Actually now it looks like it will never happen (not that I was planning or anything)
Last edited by Jokeblue on 20 Jan 2014 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

Jokeblue

Postby Facade » 20 Jan 2014 10:38

awwww man the spam thread is gone? didnt we have a chat thread when it got locked the first time?
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 20 Jan 2014 10:48

I feel like this thread should really just be a place for admins and mods to post updates, and for users to suggest them. It should not be a place to discuss recent events. I think if you all want to discuss this, for the sake of keeping this thread neat and on-topic, you should take the discussion to the IRC chatroom. You most certainly don't have to talk about music 24/7 as Nine Volt thought. We're off-topic all the time in there. It's a great place for that and also doesn't clutter up the forum. I'm sorry if this is harsh in any way, I'm not trying to be. Just trying to keep the forum clean in my last few hours as a mod. So yeah, move to the IRC chatroom if you want to discuss this any further, please.
CaptainFluffatun

Postby azerty » 20 Jan 2014 11:09

-snip

EDIT: This message isn't relevant anymore, thank goodness.
Last edited by azerty on 20 Jan 2014 17:01, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube (everything except music)
My SoundCloud
My Twitter @azertymusic (...wait, I have a Twitter?)

>>16555555
azerty

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: The Shogun Audio symbol

Postby Makkon » 20 Jan 2014 14:55

It's being discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9337
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Navron » 20 Jan 2014 15:25

Please direct all further discussions about the issue to the above thread Makkon and Kyoga posted. There's a lot of speculation as to what went down, and a couple people are being blamed for crimes they didn't commit.

This whole issue is relatively new, and escalated quickly. The entire thing basically happened in the 3hr window I was doing a livestream, and was over by the time I finished. This is not the end of MLR. It was a situation built upon a few days of drama (at best) vs. years of bottled up emotions. Situations like this tend to burn brighter, but they're over relatively quickly.

Please don't jump to making knee-jerk decisions like leaving the forum. That's the kind of logic that led to this situation in the first place.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Paianni » 25 Jan 2014 07:42

I have some comments for the new design. Overall, it's clean, modern, and loads faster on up-to-date browsers. My main gripes though, are with the background, which looks like the default that came with the design preset. Ideally we need something that has relevance to MLR, or just a colour that makes the background of the forum segment.

Also, the new logo. The old one was MUCH better as it was more personal, and it was something we were comfortable with for a long time. As one of the earliest forums for brony music we shouldn't be throwing material like this away. Bring it back, or at least design a new one from scratch that we all agree on first.

There are more minor issues which I will be forgiving for, like the way the banner 'Profile' buttons aren't consistent with the tabs on the black banner at the top of the page. Also, there was a missed opportunity for upgrading the core phpBB system, there are several 'social' profile features that have been added since this site was first launched. Regardless of all of this, I think this new design needed some feedback, maybe beta-testers, before it went live. There should also have been the option to return to the old layout.
Paianni

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 25 Jan 2014 07:49

If you go to User Control Panel>Board Preferences, you can change the theme to Xand_Pony, which is the original theme.
CaptainFluffatun

Postby Paianni » 25 Jan 2014 09:10

Yep. If you do, you get this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/content/61/8047561/html/cache/tpl_Xand-Pony_viewtopic_body.html.php on line 308
Paianni

Postby SticktheFigure » 28 Jan 2014 12:33

I'm having some trouble logging in to the board on firefox. Chrome has no problem, but it's like when I try and submit my name and password on firefox it just takes me right back to the login page. I tried to see if it'd let me recover my password but it didn't even submit that when I hit it.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
Spoiler woof:
Jokeblue wrote:the avatar of one of the guys who donated pretty much sums up how this is going
Keyboard: Yamaha Sy22 DAW: FLStudio 10 VST: Massive, Zeta+ 2
SticktheFigure

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Piano

Postby CitricAcid » 28 Jan 2014 12:36

SticktheFigure wrote:I'm having some trouble logging in to the board on firefox. Chrome has no problem, but it's like when I try and submit my name and password on firefox it just takes me right back to the login page. I tried to see if it'd let me recover my password but it didn't even submit that when I hit it.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I can log in just fine from Firefox, so it must be a local issue of some kind. Try clearing your cache or cookies or something.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion