Downward Trajectory of Brony Music (New Blog Launch pg 3 on)

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: The Downward Trajectory of Brony Music

Postby Alycs » 21 Oct 2013 09:25

Sounds like a pretty good idea; it would be pretty high maintenance, probably a lot of people working at once. But if we can pull it off it would be great. The one thing I worry about is that tumblr tends to be kinda inclusive. Other people on tumblr will see it, but when you search something, tumblr blogs sometimes get looked over.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby ClaviSound » 21 Oct 2013 09:38

This reminds me of Brony Musician Blunders, but aimed in a more positive direction. Pointing out names and songs to follow, with perhaps a short paragraph detailing why, is something that needs to be done more often than just "here's twenty songs."

All I know is that I'd definitely advertise it to the small audience I have. As they say, if everyone knows a hundred people...

(I'd also be thrilled to write an article every now and then about mah favrit rapperz but that's probably a pipe dream)
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby Fimbulin » 21 Oct 2013 10:06

From the surface, the "My Little Reboot" sounds much like the same idea as a lesser knowns album, which has negative connotations and assumptions attached to it's name. One better option would be collaborating and creating more musical albums like Rainbow and Rooted on a semi-regular basis (Soft Spectrum anyone?). Musician judged and put out to the bronydom not based on artist popularity but on the quality side and ability to stick with the theme, what I'm suggesting is that you folks that interact with eachother should build eachother up to create something bigger than you could by yourself. It doesn't need to be forum-wide or include any of the big shots. Chances are, if you all do a good job and are consistent, then the big shots will want to join. Circuitfry put a ton of work into organizing BP and RR, but your projects do not need to be on such a big scale- nor do they need to be pony related. It just happens that we all like ponies here. Build your audience through creating interest and quality. People tend to respect that.

Also, this will be hard for you to organize if you don't have any friends willing to help you out. If that's the case, make some friends through duo collaboration or something. :)
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby Freewave » 21 Oct 2013 11:13

I'm all for a different name if we can find a better one. but the mlr-mylittleremix is a terrible url and i'd like to have something that can link back here a LOT but not be exclusive to this forum.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ClaviSound » 21 Oct 2013 16:54

Fimbulin wrote:From the surface, the "My Little Reboot" sounds much like the same idea as a lesser knowns album, which has negative connotations and assumptions attached to it's name.

Honestly, I think "My Little xxx" in general has been played out at this point. We need to put our heads together to come up with something based around the show without necessarily name-dropping a main character or title.

As for me, I got nothing really, but suffice to say its name should display more of the uniqueness we want this blog to embody. Anything that tends too much towards the generic is going to kind of get lost in the sea of names.

Fimbulin wrote:One better option would be collaborating and creating more musical albums like Rainbow and Rooted on a semi-regular basis (Soft Spectrum anyone?). Musician judged and put out to the bronydom not based on artist popularity but on the quality side and ability to stick with the theme, what I'm suggesting is that you folks that interact with each other should build each other up to create something bigger than you could by yourself.

Indeed it could, but there's only so many community albums you can organize. Besides, from what I can tell plenty of community albums are proposed already on this site, so why change or dilute that?

I believe I mentioned Brony Musician Blunders; the site's mainly for pointing out flaws in pony music and what to avoid, but on a few occasions they've given shoutouts and praise to specific songs or musicians, which I think is a much fresher way of going about things. I think this is going to be intended to cover ground EqD isn't covering (or at least that's my interpretation, forgive me if I'm wrong), so why not try applying concepts heretofore unseen? Being in its "idea" phase, this blog could be anything we want it to be until it's decided on, so new practices from right out the starting gate can push it places EqD didn't go. Different standards, different policies. Not to be better, but to be different.

I still think interactive competitions are the way to go. Stuff where you're given a partner, or have to work with a sample pack of vocals, or write and sing over an instrumental, or something like that. It would result in more professional music (as they say, two heads are better than one), and better yet, familiarize people with each other to a much greater extent than just talking on a forum.

Forced collaboration contests, now there's an idea... maybe you could even put in a rotation rule so you work with different people... Hmm.

Anyway, I think we do agree there need to be more community-wide events in any case. Now, how are we going to put that into action?
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Postby ganondox » 21 Oct 2013 18:56

Well, speaking of the tumblr, as mentioned earlier I am running this, I guess you could like reblog from that. I'm also possibly thinking of maybe getting additional writers later and possibly expanding beyond the current scope.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby JSynth » 22 Oct 2013 11:48

ExoBassTix wrote:I haven't yet read everything in this thread (will do in a mo'), but I at least gotta say one thing now before it slips my mind later.

Community spirit, Freewave said.
I don't see it with most people.

There's one thing that I don't get though. People complain about how we're in a downward spiral, then continue not putting in effort to make us as a community thrive again. How ironic. It's like the ultimate pessimism, like you think it's an impossible (yet desired) concept, a thriving MLR in a time like this.
Why not just stop hanging your head and make that happen?

I can very much sense that people will blame inactivity on increased work or other outside factors.
How very coincidental that these outside factors start playing their game just when we're facing a low in the community.

Note that I didn't point this at anyone in particular. This is just a kick in the behind to those that this applies to, I think you can decide for yourself if you believe it does apply to you or not.

This was my thinking on my first post. If you treat the fandom like its dying, then its going to die.

Freewave wrote:cool things

Whatever happened to the MLR tumblr anyway? Because if there is anywhere that should take place it should be on that tumblr.

Also, here is a thought. What if there was a blog that people can submit to for feedback? When the song is posted, other musicians can reblog it with a critique. It would be fairly easy to run, the mods would just have to post the submissions. IDK, its just an idea.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby ph00tbag » 22 Oct 2013 16:39

I do think there could be more done to spotlight new/lesser-known artists in general, really. I like the idea of a blog that makes a point to do, like, weekly spotlights/interviews/whatever with artists that focus on new names. There's opportunity there, as well, for better-known artists to contribute input on who has impressed them lately. It can also have reviews, tutorials, and the like. No genre focus, necessarily, mostly just a focus on promoting the brony musician community.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby HMage » 22 Oct 2013 18:41

I can donate domain fimmusic.net which I bought for a one-time joke. Good name, has no "my little" and falls in line with fimfiction.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Fimbulin » 22 Oct 2013 20:25

HMage wrote:I can donate domain fimmusic.net which I bought for a one-time joke. Good name, has no "my little" and falls in line with fimfiction.

I am congratulations.
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby ClaviSound » 22 Oct 2013 22:05

That actually sounds pretty nice. However, as I obeyed the message of "kil yourselve," I sadly am now ded.

But fimmusic.net sounds like a great start. Slap together an official Tumblr or whatever else for that thing and it's good to go. In the words of Thrackerzod, "I declare that this plan cannot go wrong!"

Or something like that I forget

In any case, I think we can officially say "HMage to the rescue!"

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Postby Callenby » 22 Oct 2013 22:09

HMage wrote:I can donate domain fimmusic.net which I bought for a one-time joke. Good name, has no "my little" and falls in line with fimfiction.

Well that's convenient. The only downside I can see with this is it might make people think it's a host site for the official songs and BGM.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby A2Z » 22 Oct 2013 23:54

Callenby wrote:

Well that's convenient. The only downside I can see with this is it might make people think it's a host site for the official songs and BGM.

No, because as HMage said it's very similar in name to fimfiction so people will see fimmusic as being fan related, and shush don't spoil the moment. :sad:

Well, it seems like everything is coming along nicely.

The only thing I wanted to make everyone aware of is that with the waning interest in MLP in general, it would make sense that all the fan-made content sectors, not just the music end, is taking a hit on viewership/listeners. It's a bit out of our control since people leave and join fandoms all the time and we can't force people to like something they aren't interested in anymore. There is more stuff out there in the world to be excited about besides MLP things.

What this thread is presenting is more of an organized way of displaying the works herein to a broader audience with an ease of access. Brony Music isn't actually going away anytime soon unless you WANT it to. We're just so used to large amounts of quality content in a quick manner that when things are as steady as they are now it seems slow or even dying. We have A LOT of composers/ musicians in the fandom, but a lot of the "good" ones go unnoticed because either nobody is talking about them (outside of sites like EQD), or we are just too over-saturated with content as it is. Sadly all the novice musicians get ignored because all the mid-level people are getting all the help from the higher-ups, and that's really how it should be because it's a lot easier going from step 3 to 4 than 1 to 5. (I'm going to take the opportunity right now to plug TOASTBEARD because it's kinda designed to help beginners out and it's been around for 2 years now? HELLO!? come on people, more attention on that please)

I think too many people release singles hoping to get recognition, when it's actually whole finished albums that get more appeal. How many professional artists in the music industry do you see releasing more singles than CD's? Even if an artist has only one good song to their fame, they usually have a whole album to back them up because it looks a lot better. Marketing also plays a part in public appeal. Albums like Ballon Party and Rainbow & Rooted get good reception based a lot on how professional they look and are handled. Even though I like only a handful of songs out of each album, they are popular choices for me when introducing others to brony music because of the professionalism in them.

For even the people that do release albums, don't feel bad because you don't get as much viewership as you like. Remember the audience you're trying to appeal to. There are already SO MANY ARTISTS OUT THERE, it's hard for people to find you. Even if they do find you, will they like your music enough to like it/ buy it/ share it? That is not for you to decide. The only thing you can do as an artist is do your damn best, and keep working harder. Doing what you like is what this is all about right? Don't blame your lack of recognition on someone else's success. They got the attention because more people liked their stuff compared to yours, or you aren't trying hard enough to get yourself noticed, or people just are not interested in what you have to offer. OH FREAKING WELL. This isn't supposed to be a charity case (well, it might be). You are an entertainer now, and if you aren't entertaining to some, chances are you will be to others, and sometimes that takes time or sometimes you just need to keep working harder. Life isn't fair, deal with it.

That being said, fimmusic.net would be a great sort of hub for people to find great new music if they are looking for it.

These are just my own thoughts and ideas, feel free to bash them and rake me over the coals. I might post more crap later if it junks up my brain, but for now I sleep.
I am here to see what you do and omg it's cute

Here is my [audiocumulus]: soundcloud.com/blacklight60
A2Z

Postby ClaviSound » 23 Oct 2013 00:41

Callenby wrote:

True, but EqD is known for having multiple outlets other than news, which is what "Equestria Daily" implies, no? Just saying that if it does its job, it shouldn't matter what its name is.

(And besides, if a few people come who are expecting show music, perhaps they'll get a sample of the fanmade music and stick around longer anyway.)

In any case, this definitely looks like the most promising avenue for this idea regardless, so what are we waiting for?

A2Z wrote:I think too many people release singles hoping to get recognition, when it's actually whole finished albums that get more appeal. How many professional artists in the music industry do you see releasing more singles than CD's?

This is 100%, absolutely, definitely true. However, you have to remember that a lot of people in the community aren't really interested in putting together an entire album. It's a MASSIVE undertaking of work, and when a small pool of people have succeeded before based on one song that catches fire with their name on it, it doesn't seem practical to exponentiate the work while only getting what's seen as marginal benefits at best. Most people putting out albums or EPs have a much more dedicated work ethic to what they do, and those who don't are mostly either about keeping up a more consistent schedule on their uploads or doing it as a hobby/for fun. Both really put "album" low on the priority list.

(Or maybe that's just me I don't know)

A2Z wrote:The only thing you can do as an artist is do your damn best, and keep working harder. Doing what you like is what this is all about right? Don't blame your lack of recognition on someone else's success. They got the attention because more people liked their stuff compared to yours, or you aren't trying hard enough to get yourself noticed, or people just are not interested in what you have to offer. OH FREAKING WELL.

Well, you're kind of burying the lead here. Lots of these people got the attention because back when they started there weren't a lot of people who made pony music, so it wasn't the "sea of musicians" this fandom has acquired. So "more people liking their stuff" is really more "fewer people were being diluted." Search up "pony rapping" back in 2011, and you'd get iBringDaLULZ, MicTheMicrophone, Yelling at Cats, etc. etc. etc. Nowadays? Same guys, nothing much new that shows up on the top of the lists. (And even if it does, it's a compilation list that gives little incentive for people to go out of their way to listen.) Plenty of people would like the newer guys if they heard it; the trick is getting them to hear it in the first place.

Be nice. It hurts making that long climb up, see little progress, and be told like it's entirely your fault, when really it's because you didn't start making music as early or often as the other folks. Lack of exposure should definitely not be blamed on bigger musicians, but it shouldn't be blamed on these smaller musicians' actions either. It's just a fact of the fandom, and while people do need to accept it's going to be hard, it's not their fault that people aren't listening, especially with listener attitudes I've seen before. Comments like "these musicians are popular, therefore they're the best" or "not having subscribers means you're not worth my time" don't exactly encourage people to work their way up, is what I'm saying.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Postby JSynth » 23 Oct 2013 08:42

A2Z wrote:The only thing I wanted to make everyone aware of is that with the waning interest in MLP in general, it would make sense that all the fan-made content sectors, not just the music end, is taking a hit on viewership/listeners. It's a bit out of our control since people leave and join fandoms all the time and we can't force people to like something they aren't interested in anymore. There is more stuff out there in the world to be excited about besides MLP things.

A lot of this depends on Season 4. Season 3 was pretty rough for the fandom. And EQG didn't help much either. Hopefully, we will have some good content to help bring the fandom back together.

Also, we are still planning on making this a tumlbr based site right? Because it would help a lot to have this on a site that people already spend a lot of time on, rather than requiring people to go out of their way to find it (think, Equestrian Reverb).
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

JSynth

Postby A2Z » 23 Oct 2013 09:15

ClaviSound wrote:Be nice. It hurts making that long climb up, see little progress, and be told like it's entirely your fault, when really it's because you didn't start making music as early or often as the other folks. Lack of exposure should definitely not be blamed on bigger musicians, but it shouldn't be blamed on these smaller musicians' actions either. It's just a fact of the fandom, and while people do need to accept it's going to be hard, it's not their fault that people aren't listening, especially with listener attitudes I've seen before. Comments like "these musicians are popular, therefore they're the best" or "not having subscribers means you're not worth my time" don't exactly encourage people to work their way up, is what I'm saying.

Granted I was a little harsh on my wording. I'm not trying to degrade anyone's honest-to-goodness hard work they have put into their music and getting themselves recognized. I appreciate and love the people that have a goal and aim to achieve it. I just think it's silly to blame the listeners for not listening. It's like assuming the people who like exotic chairs will love absolutely everything ever made by any company that has ever made an exotic chair.

I'm just trying to compare this situation to what happens in the real world of popular music. People continue to listen to the Top 40's because it highlights some of the best music available from some of the best musicians to reach the broadest audience. LivingTomb, MicMic, etc wouldn't be where they are if their music wasn't good to begin with, somebody else would have filled their spots of popularity if they were bad. EDM and Hip-Hop are highly searched genres because it just what happens to be what most people like listening to right now.

I will admit it is hard for listeners to find something different from what they know already, and exploring new artists can be intimidating because I think the common person has a preconception of having someone else match the quality and style they are used to. It still comes down to whether or not people actually care to listen. Like I said, people are losing interest in MLP fan content altogether it seems. We are at the mercy of the very people that make up the subscribers, which is the fanbase itself.

I think that it is a wonderfully fantastic idea to get a larger variety of great artists recognized by opening up more avenues to showcase some awesome talent. I just don't want people getting the idea that just because people haven't heard your stuff doesn't mean you're good or bad. It may be because people are just burnt out on pony music altogether. It's easier to be a casual listener following only a handful of artists you already know than to constantly be trying to find new stuff that isn't always a guaranteed sell for you. Which is why I say getting into a community album or something betters your chances of being heard at all.

I think I may have repeated myself anyways, but yea, let's get this train sailing! If there is anything I can do to help get this started, let me know. :smile: I'm sure others would be interested in helping out as well. Maybe we should start a new thread for fimmusic.net, hmm?

A2Z

Postby Freewave » 23 Oct 2013 09:39

Glad to see some positive discussion here. I've talked with Stars about the tumblr, he's talking with Cfry about the "ownership" of the site, and I'm going to work at getting this tumblr off the ground. I'm still very open to names on the site (I've actually emailed the guy who took up the mylittleremix tumblr url and name and then only did 4 posts about deleting that account so we could reclaim it (if that happens)) but a url change is definitely needed. If FIMmusic is a popular title (thanks hmage) we can definitely use that (i just claimed fimmusic.tumblr right now too in case we use that) or we can discuss the full range of possible titles.

Regular Features I'd want:

• Everyone who posts a topic gets individual credit. If i post something i put my name at the end to show that i thought people should see this. If you join up you get credit for what you post. No sideline authors or members. If you are active on the tumblr then your name gets seen just a little bit more as someone who has something to contribute. Absolutely no trolling, raging, or dissing but active discussions that relevent (that sometimes get derailed) are still worth viewing.
  • Macro focus not a micro focus. This won't be a sight to highlight individual tracks in individual posts (if people want to you can do that in the LIKE (ie heart). We don't want people to skim, we want people to want to read every post and there to be a lot of great content in each post.
  • Weekly updates on events. what current deadlines are, whether they are still active, and highlighting when they are released. Community events like Remix War get a LOT more attention then before. Remix album projects can get this treatment too.
  • Toastbeard deserves a weekly update and spotlight to help reboot it and get new people more familiar with it again. Get it on its feet again.
  • Indiv Album and compilation releases. (Likes on individuals, Posts on multiples (like EQD))
  • Blast from the past. Let's remember those artists who are no longer with us. Maybe even find out "where are they now".
  • Spotlighting and linking back to great new threads and discussions on mlr (and maybe digging up some classic ones)
  • Reblogging big community open discussions (kinda like Mumble's recent tumblr post a lot of us loved).
  • Written interviews of people in the community (large and small). It takes 5 min to send an interview script to a veteran brony and all they have to do is care to fill it out so we can know them better.
  • Who are you listening to / liking from more senior members of the community. Playlists too perhaps.
  • Talk with radio stations. They are active. who do they like, what do they offer>
  • Art of the week. Some of our favorite pony art from the week in one 10 image batch. (Links back to artists of course). Might sort of seem off topic but many people join tumblr's that spotlight art. MLP art is one of the best things to tie into of this fandom as just about EVERYONE loves it.
  • Art about mlp musicians, pony album parodies (saw some of these long ago), etc.
  • Community polls and questions.
  • Good quality reblogs and likes to ON TOPIC tumblr posts on music.
  • No non-pony spam, on topic, on focus.
  • Great PMV's. Great pmv's with music can deserve a batch spotlights.
  • Behind the music videos from musicians who show us their studios. Talk about their method to music making.
  • Guest authors, guest interviews, multiple povs, encouraging people to subscribe and follow to get the wide spectrum of news. All levels of the fandom. Not just the top. Encouraging posts to reblog and get conversations started.
  • Remix and Character spotlights. So what's the best of the best remixes of Bab's Seed, the best AJ songs, or the songs from a genre. Poll, get results, post, and then discuss more.
  • Highlight past lists like best songs of 2011, 2012, etc. Who overlooked, what are the underground gems?
  • Highlight small fansites that focus on our music. Interview, link back, and support these guys!
  • Dj mixes of mlp music. Why the hell not. Get going dj's.
  • Highlight conventions!! who's playing where, behind the scenes for the show, footage at cons, etc. What is it like at these events. Musiquestria reblogs
  • Got other great ideas? The submit button is always open. (although this is NOT an ask blog and won't have floods of q&a that glut up the blog.

If we can have this site rolling and launched by season 4 i think its a great way to rev the community right back up. I want people at ALL levels of this community to think its a great idea and want to see it succeed, want to recommend it, want to follow it, and want to contribute to it. It's not that hard to do it right if everyone's invested in seeing this fandom re-flourish. If musicians like it then i think Joe Public will also be on board and watching their feed.
Freewave

Postby A2Z » 23 Oct 2013 09:49

Freewave wrote:Uber stuffz

is it alright if I start a new thread on the topic of something like "New MLP Music Site Discussion"? We can start talking about things to get it rolling and get this topic off of the negative thread title of "The Downward Trajectory of Brony Music"

A2Z

Postby JSynth » 23 Oct 2013 09:58

I love this! And I would really like to see it happen.

+1 for fimusic as the title.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

JSynth

Re: The Downward Trajectory of Brony Music (and how to fix i

Postby Alycs » 23 Oct 2013 10:20

Yeah FiMmusic sounds like a great title and damn all those features sound great
Alycs

Postby CitricAcid » 23 Oct 2013 10:49

I also like the FiMmusic title. I'm curious who's going to staff it. It's going to require a lot of surfing around for music, monitoring sub boxes, finding art, finding people to interview, etc.

If you're looking for an early launch date, which of those things Freewave listed are most essential to get things up and running and be appealing to new visitors? You're probably not going to be able to make all of those things happen at once.

I think it would be cool too if you could start said site up with a bang. Maybe get some unique material (i.e. stuff that isn't seen on EqD) up first like the interviews or behind the music stuff. I don't think I've seen much of that elsewhere. (Granted, I don't get out much and haven't been with the fandom long, so I might have just missed it.)
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Freewave » 23 Oct 2013 11:06

Here's a QUICK mock up (i took the deactivated brony artist directory and redesigned it) of what it could look like with some art i had at hand.

Would love a purple ring around the png to make it a bit more "banner-ish if anyone knows how to do that in psp." Again a quick but professional (?) design for the time being with the proposed name in tow.
Freewave

Postby CitricAcid » 23 Oct 2013 11:21

Freewave wrote:Here's a QUICK mock up (i took the deactivated brony artist directory and redesigned it) of what it could look like with some art i had at hand. This will not be the url or the site obviously....

Would love a purple ring around the png to make it a bit more "banner-ish if anyone knows how to do that in psp." Again a quick but professional (?) design for the time being with the proposed name in tow.

I have some basic suggestions based on that mockup. Assuming this is going to be remain tumblr-based, I would pick a layout that makes better use of the horizontal page space. And is there a way to make the background image stay put while the blog in the foreground scrolls? Tiled backgrounds always remind me of ytmnd background images and crummy myspace pages.

For the record, I'm not very blog-savvy, so forgive me if my suggestions are totally out of line.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby ClaviSound » 23 Oct 2013 11:32

Freewave wrote:Regular Features I'd want:
Talk with radio stations. They are active. who do they like, what do they offer?

I used to frequent Celestia Radio, and I know some members of Fractured Frequencies personally, so it's possible I could help in that department.

CitricAcid wrote:I think it would be cool too if you could start said site up with a bang. Maybe get some unique material (i.e. stuff that isn't seen on EqD) up first like the interviews or behind the music stuff. I don't think I've seen much of that elsewhere. (Granted, I don't get out much and haven't been with the fandom long, so I might have just missed it.)

Seconded. I think that interviews in general haven't been done enough, or if they have, then they haven't been spread around enough because I'm sure not seeing them.

Also, I think the key difference between EqD and FIMMusic(?) being set up right now is that FIM is going to be music-minded more than blog-minded. We really need to stress more than anything else it was formed under the music banner, not news or other media. Those things we always can do, but it should stick to music mostly, because that's what makes it unique. Come for the pictures/news/comics/whatever, but stay for the music, that kind of deal. Or just come for the music and skip the rest, which works just as well.

Freewave wrote:Here's a QUICK mock up

Looks real nice, although it would be good if we could get a more striking pony for the mascot. Not to say that Pinkie Pie isn't striking in her own right, just that it could be something more distinctive than a mane 6 pony (or main character in general).

Also, I agree with CitricAcid that the layout as of right now is a bit inefficient, although my beef with it is mostly because I just don't like that tumblr design. I've always been a fan of fancy headers/footnote areas with very simple bodies: it's streamlined, looks professional, and best of all very user-friendly.

Another question is who will pay for the domain name and how will the site be funded, if we are going to take fimmusic.net? I'm assuming you'd have to talk to HMage to know the details, but websites aren't free space.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Postby Alycs » 23 Oct 2013 11:41

Freewave wrote:Here's a QUICK mock up (i took the deactivated brony artist directory and redesigned it) of what it could look like with some art i had at hand. This will not be the url or the site obviously....

I'm pretty good with blog themes and designing web-based graphics, so if you need something done I can certainly help with that. (that theme... yeah, you really don't want to use that one. I looks good at first but it has quite a lot of bugs that will become very noticeable once its been used for a while [and because its a theme garden theme you aren't allowed to use to for customizations so no coding-edits])
Alycs

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic