Rate My Wubs!

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

Re: Rate My Wubs!

Postby Nine Volt » 19 May 2013 14:05

@KillerAmp
Kinda sounds like something deadmau5 would do, synth wise. My only complaint is that it's a bit empty in the top end. That sub is fucking massive in the middle part, I love it. One suggestion: sidechain the middle part more, and to the snare as well as the kick. I personally love minimalistic wubs and I'm planning to start incorporating them in my music more often (even though I make house).

@PropellerEscape
Honestly the wub sounds pretty generic, but it's solid and pretty good. Not really much more I can add to it aside from FIX THE SIDECHAIN DAMMIT :3
oshit that moombah part is cool. I think that pitchmodulated square in the background could have a longer release though.

Speaking of minimalistic wobbles...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/52nqksqhn8g0v ... ip%201.mp3
This is a house track but the drop has wobbles. I'd like to ask for a full review of the track but I think that'd be a bit much to expect :3
Nine Volt

Postby KillerAmp » 19 May 2013 15:20

@Nine Volt, Yeah I'm actually kinda happy that the only complaints you made were the same ones I picked out :D I'm currently working on adding a bit to the high end, and I'm trying to find a way to make the snares and kicks bigger without making them louder (im close enough to clipping as it is x_x)
Hell yeah massive subs! I was mixing this on my (extremely flat) KOSS headphones, and ive kinda learned that when i can get the sub to be rather present in these things, then it sounds fucking huge on monitors and subwoofers.

I'll check your thing out later, as I cant listen right now. ill be back in an hour or so.
KillerAmp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Feels

Postby KillerAmp » 19 May 2013 17:36

@Nine Volt The clap sounds kinda like, idk muffled? but it works for mixing when the other instruments come in so i wont worry about that too much :3 as always those chords man, so nice, i wish i could do stuff like that

im liking the minimalistic wubs, the lead synth sounds kinda generic and a bit too atmospheric,
2:41 hell to the yes those wubs, minimalism without too much dirt, i like it! at points the track sounded kinda loopy where it was starting to lose its grasp on my attention, but overall its got a good structure, nice melodic/chordal/rhythmic setup, and gud wubs. Now i wanna go work on a house track :P
KillerAmp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Feels

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 23 May 2013 05:08

PropellerEscape wrote:I made this recently and I need some opinions on what it sounds like.
(I know the sidechaining is freaking awful)

https://soundcloud.com/propellerescape/war-machine

Sounds really bad ass man!
Could use a bit more impact with the drop though, like, the drop just feels a little sudden which isn't to say it doesn't work or anything. I just feel that it could have made a little more impact, y'know?

Other than that, the synths sound REALLY good, I always liked that sort of metallic bass synth, just sounds good no matter what you do with it.

From about 55 seconds is a really great break down. And the Moombahcore drop is awesome too :D

What I would suggest is more panning. A lot of your stuff feels like it's panned to the centre, which makes a lot of the sounds compete to be heard, which detracts from it as a whole. The alien-like leads you have there sound ok, but they don't quite 'fit' for some reason.

overall, you did really good, but some things could have better.

anyway, heres my thing

https://soundcloud.com/testsubject72/killthebigglesnoiseworth
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby SpmSL » 25 May 2013 14:26

@Killeramp
Sounding pretty good man. Changing the amount of bass along with the wubbing of the synth will give a bit more weight to it. The kick and the snare could also use a little more impact, and a little more treble wouldn't go amiss on some of the synths.
The sub bass is just beautiful.

Here's some League of Legends dubstep I made a while ago. I wanna get back into making this kind of stuff and the synths are definitely the hardest part for me. Any criticism would be great:

https://soundcloud.com/spmsl/from-the-darkness-evelynn-1
SpmSL

Postby Ocular » 26 May 2013 07:38

Here's a glitch hop thing I threw together. I had a lot of fun with this one. The bass took quite a while to perfect.
http://soundcloud.com/theocularinvisible/glitch-hop-wip
inactive
Ocular

Postby PropellerEscape » 01 Jun 2013 08:55

@TheOcularInvisible

I'm loving it, but it gets a bit repetitive as it goes on. It'd benefit massively from having another bass to alternate between. I think it's a bit muddy on the low end too, so you should high pass the very lowest frequencies off the bass.
Also, the hats are a bit too quiet, but I think you were going for subtlety with them at the end.
Lastly, that fill just before the hats come in is waaaay too quiet, and it kinda clashes with the bass. EQ it to give it it's own room in that part, and you'll be golden :D

Not sure if it counts as 'wubs', but I made some neurofunk and it'd be nice to get feedback on it :3

https://soundcloud.com/propellerescape/demonata-neurofunk-wip
DAW - FL Studio 11

Main VSTs - Harmor, Harmless, Massive, Sytrus and FM8

My Main SoundCloud
My Experimental Soundcloud

Add me on Skype - PropellerEscapeMusic
PropellerEscape

Primary: Flel Studio 11.
Cutie Mark: Synth of Lel

Postby Trixiee » 23 Jun 2013 14:45

@SpmSL

Your high pitched wobble needs some more grit to it and It needs to be a lot deeper if you know what I'm saying. Try using like Camelphat or Ohmicide to get it a little dirtier. As for the lower Reese style bass you need to put a sub under it so it hits harder and you have a little more control when mixing. I love the break though. The panned toms are really sick! all it needs is for you to just raise the kick in the mix a bit.

Now can you guys Rate my Wubs please :3
I need a lot of help with the intro but I think you guys will like the drop

https://soundcloud.com/trixiee/new-dubstep-preview
Check Out My Tracks On Soundcloud!

https://soundcloud.com/trixiee/smor3s-flare-trixiee-remix
Name: Joe
Years Producing: Roughly 3
HARDWARE: NI Audio Kontrol, Audio Technica 2020 + generic mics, Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
VSTs: Far Too Many
DAWs: Ableton Live 8, FL 10, Reason 5
I also play guitar fairly well.
Trixiee

Postby Revandose » 28 Jul 2013 18:04

Now can you guys Rate my Wubs please :3
I need a lot of help with the intro but I think you guys will like the drop

I loved that sub in the intro, just the periodic bass note had me very interested in what was coming.

Also the 8 bit drums in the start threw me off for a minute but when the pristine clarity of your actual drums came through that got a smile from me!

Now the wubs my friend, great amount of body to them. Really come through nice and clear without drowning out the drums. I never did like the high pitched screeches in a song ever since I heard Doctor P's Sweetshop but that's just me hah. Did you make the sounds yourself? They sound like something you would find in todays sample packs.

Not trying to call you out, I mean it due to the quality!

The arp and other synths in the drop gelled the rest together very well too. And that offbeat pluck kept the rhythm going. I say try and finish this one, Show Us All :)

https://soundcloud.com/revandose/wretched

Fair warning, it's dubstep.
So this is just the "drop" of what could be a song. I am very happy with the bass sounds but it might just be tunnel vision. What do you think?
Soundcloud
I use Ableton and love to collaborate
Revandose

Postby cplbradley » 01 Aug 2013 16:56

The bass sounds pretty damn good, but I would suggest not using the same bass for that long.|
Here's what I've been working on lately:
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/maximum

"BROSTEP" ALERT
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby Trixiee » 27 Aug 2013 01:45

cplbradley wrote:The bass sounds pretty damn good, but I would suggest not using the same bass for that long.|
Here's what I've been working on lately:
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/maximum

"BROSTEP" ALERT

Your kick could have a little more punch, and I don't like the snare IMO. However your synth work is fantastic just try and make all of your bassline synths as even as you can in db and presence. The mix is kind of empty too, try adding some atmosphere by using an offbeat stab, ride or something to drive the beat along. This track has a lot of potential, and it is very aggressive. Keep it up ^^

HARDWARE: NI Audio Kontrol, Audio Technica 2020 + generic mics, Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Trixiee

Postby Trixiee » 27 Aug 2013 02:05

Revandose wrote:So this is just the "drop" of what could be a song. I am very happy with the bass sounds but it might just be tunnel vision. What do you think?

With your bassline I think you shoud add more movement to it ex: stutters, vowel filters, resampling, pitch mod etc... Don't stick with the same constant bass for a drop because it will get boring really quickly. Your kick needs a lot more punch and there's literally no meat to your snare. Your snare is also stereo and if you want it to cut through the mix it needs to be mono. Sorry to kinda lay into you there but these are things I used to struggle with and I still do so I hope you take some of this criticism to better yourself :3

FYI I never sample my basslines, ever lol. I sometimes sample atmospheres like reverses and such but the actual bassline synth work is all mine. I use mainly Massive and FM8 but I'm starting to resample a lot to make more Neuroish sounding basses. I've been having a lot of trouble with the track I previewed here but eventually I'll finish it, someday haha ^^

Trixiee

Postby Dr. Plague » 03 Sep 2013 07:18

https://soundcloud.com/dr_plague/generica-1

Just to say, I'm not making this into a full song or anything. I'm just practicing sequencing synths in a drop, so I'm looking more for criticism on how well it flows (or doesn't), what fits and what doesn't, etc.

@Revandose
Basically gonna agree with the main point said above: Try not to stick with just the same bass throughout the drop. I hate to say it, but with dubstep/brostep the way it is these days, it's just too one-dimensional to have that. It's not necessarily bad or anything, but you've gotta have more bleeps and bloops and whatever noises all over the place to hold most commercial EDM listeners' interests. (And that ironic sarcasm is aimed toward myself as well, heh.)

@cplbradley
Goddamn, that's a deliciously squelchy bass. That drop was definitely pretty good, but it left me wanting more, so I'm looking forward to a continuation that expands and progresses the variation a bit -- not to say that it was lacking at all, though.

@Trixiee
(Hopefully you haven't already moved on with or abandoned your project...) Like some of the comments from your Soundcloud suggest, throw another melody of some kind in the intro (or maybe make the arps more pronounced, unless I'm mistakenly hearing some, in which case throw some arps in!).

The drop (as short as it was, SADFACE) sounded pretty nice though. Good variance, nice synths. Did you ever finish this track? (I'm probably going to check in a second anyway, but I figured I'd still ask.)
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
Dr. Plague

Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Postby Trixiee » 03 Sep 2013 17:49

@Dr. Plague

Really try to stay away from bassline samples because making aggressive basses really helps you with learning how to make everything else in general easier. Making your own sounds is almost invaluable with the way you can tweak them unlike a sample you drag and drop. Your basses could be higher in the mix, I couldn't hear a sub under them but your real problem is that you have weak drums. These are just some things to focus on but don't worry about anything else until you get your drums hitting really hard. The bassline should never overpower the drums ESPECIALLY IN DUBSTEP, if you have good punchy layered drums with minimal noise, it's okay if your drums are a little over powering at first because people will appreciate your percussion more because it's something that cannot be cheated per say. You can't just drag and drop a drum sample and expect it to work well, you gotta first find some punchy samples, layer and resample the crap out of your them, and even add some distortion in some cases. Rinse and repeat. Of course this rule doesn't apply to your hats and cymbals but for your snare and kick layering and resampling is a must if you want to make good Dubstep.

My drums aren't perfect but I feel that I may be able to help some people out with my knowledge.

BTW That song I previewed here is on hold while I learn more about FM synthesis and production in general. I might just take the synths from that project and dump it into a kit I made just for dubstep songs so my percussion hits way harder.

Trixiee

Postby Dr. Plague » 03 Sep 2013 17:58

I get your point about using bassline samples and the drums being weak, but like I said, I'm just trying to practice the sequencing, nothing else here. That's all stuff I included obviously because it would sound worse without accompanying percussion.

Do the samples used go with one another? Are they too disjointed to fit together in a single drop? Do you think some things should be relocated? That's the kind of criticism I was going for.

That being said, I appreciate the tips you did give.
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby Trixiee » 03 Sep 2013 18:14

Where you change the notes in your drop it makes the samples you picked not flow as well as it should. However the bass samples that you did choose flowed very well together and it did not get monotonous, they sounded like the same sub genre of Dubstep you were going for and the overall groove was fine minus the sped up high hats at the end. You seem to have a ear of what grooves sound catchy.

Trixiee

Postby Dr. Plague » 04 Sep 2013 04:34

I never changed any of the notes, heh, those are all the original samples, just sliced up and moved around.

And I've never been able to get the hang of programming my hihats. Any tips? I've tried having them go in sixths, fourths, halfs, etc., and nothing really seems to sound good.
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby Trixiee » 05 Sep 2013 20:13

Use different high hat samples in those intervals. Like alternate between samples in whatever rhythm you find that's catchy and works well but try not to use the same high hat twice in a row. I usually just place them on the 8th notes and have a ride or crash every 8 bars. I've never been one to really complicate my hats in Dubstep, to me they're just a filler for the beat to help drive it along but they are not a staple of it so I wouldn't worry about it unless you're trying to sound like Bar 9. Your sample selection is much more important here than what's actually being played.

Trixiee

Previous

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice