Key Signature Help

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Key Signature Help

Postby KvackPack » 03 Aug 2013 13:43

Hello there,
I simply can't find anything on Google, and I can't really hear which signature the song uses.
It is the jump up song from Equestria Girls.

Last time I tried to figure the key signature by myself I ended up a couple of half notes wrong. E.g. F# minor instead of F minor.

One more thing, how do I practice this?
KvackPack's/Univolved's links:
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Youtube
KvackPack

Re: Key Signature Help

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 03 Aug 2013 14:11

Thats a time signature, not a key signature. Unfortunately I am not on a computer, so I can't work it out for you. Try and find the root note of each chord by ear and go from there.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 03 Aug 2013 14:26

Try placing down a major or minor chord and then slowly bring it down one half step at a time until it sounds very similar to the chord you're trying to replicate and then shift inbetween major, minor, augmented and diminished chords until the chord you're matching is correct? I'll be honest, I'm not sure what a key signature is, so I'm really assuming that it's a scale a song is in. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Alycs » 03 Aug 2013 14:31

I opened up the vocals for the song on Newtone and it appears that it is in E Major. (I could also be in A, as the song has no D's or D#'s to distinguish, but both starts and resolves on E, so its a safe bet)

Hope this helped.

As for practice, I don't know what instrument you are playing, but a general rule to follow is to get the melody down first, and then (if you are playing a two handed instrument) find the basic chord progression and just play that along with the melody until you feel comfortable, then start adding little touches.

If you can't figure out the melody, try downloading one of the accappella's and opening it in something like Melodyne, Newtone, or Ableton's midi view.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby JSynth » 03 Aug 2013 14:37

Unless you have a full sense of perfect pitch, (which, according to Lavender, means you are a computer) then its going to be a guessing game. Just try to figure out the bass line and work from there.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Alycs » 03 Aug 2013 14:39

Tested the song on my piano for tonal resonance and yes, if by the "Jump Up" song, you mean "Help Twilight win the Crown", the song is in E Major.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby KvackPack » 03 Aug 2013 14:59

I might have to spend some time getting better at this, it is really annoying when you can't figure out the key by oneself and have to ask others. :/
KvackPack's/Univolved's links:
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Youtube
KvackPack

Return to Technique