Has anybody done any work with hardware synths/arduino?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Has anybody done any work with hardware synths/arduino?

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 20:53

They're super easy to make, honestly. Especially w. a microcontroller like arduino to work as a voltage regulator, you can have a moog-style synth breadboarded up for like, the price of a mug of cider.

What have you made?
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: Has anybody done any work with hardware synths/arduino?

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 22:51

eery wrote:There is a synth thread somewhere buried here, but anyways, I've always wanted to try, but due to circumstance and location, there's never been any equvilant of radioshack, so it was hard to get pieces. I dont really know where I would begin either as I have no real experience with electronics besides the few times Ive tinkered with circuitbending and some electronics set I had at the age of 12.

I bought all my shizzle wizzle online?
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby cyrricky » 01 Aug 2013 11:47

I made a drone/noisemachine thing a while back. There's a thread on it laying around here somewhere
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby Alycs » 01 Aug 2013 12:27

I've been meaning to make an arduino audio/visual synth/display; but I haven't had the time too (the most recent edition of MAKE Mag. had an article on building arduino synths, actually.)
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby DerpyGrooves » 01 Aug 2013 12:51

Alycs wrote:I've been meaning to make an arduino audio/visual synth/display; but I haven't had the time too (the most recent edition of MAKE Mag. had an article on building arduino synths, actually.)

Oh seriously? I'll have to check it out. TBH it's sort of amazing how musical some of the more simple noisemakers can be if implemented properly. I have a stepped tone generator that's set up entirely in meantone temperament. It's SUPER GOOD FOR AMBIENT WOW.
DerpyGrooves

Postby Alycs » 01 Aug 2013 13:08

I remember when I was like 7 I figured out that if I took a bunch of those cheap "video" toy things, I could play music on them by pressing various controls, and change the sound (probably was actually distorting it to hell by shorting the circuit) but pressing certain buttons really hard.

It was great fun until the batteries started corroding.

Also, I built a Tesla Coil a few years back that hummed a nice crackly G sharp depending on the humidity.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Return to Technique