Some words of Advice when it comes to people saying You suck

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

Some words of Advice when it comes to people saying You suck

Postby BronyMetalMix » 05 Jul 2013 17:26

Note: Sorry if this isn't the right board for this.

So, two days ago. I got someone telling me that "Your music sucks, and you should just quit. All the people who like you are just liars or to scared to tell the truth." Saying I had no passion for it. Well ya know...I have problems as a producer. I'll be the first to say that, I got problems that I need to work out when it comes to making music. But to say I don't have a passion is bullshit. If I didn't have a passion, I wouldn't be admiting that I have flaws, I would just be riding them off and saying "Yeah Yeah".

Passion for something is ....keeping at what you love no matter what others say, doing it for you and no one else. Do what you want for YOU. Every artist needs time to grow, no artist was as good as they are now when they first started. So when it comes to art, no matter what you do. Drawing, Music, Film. You're gonna get better over time, and the people who like you, truly do enjoy your stuff. Use that and goals as motivation to keep moving forward in what you're doing.

Good Luck to all,
Note Wise.
Things to Improve on in 2015
MOAR SONGS!
Transitions
Chord and Melodies
Mixing
"Flow of Energy" in a song

DAW: FL Studio 11, Logic Pro X
VST: Nexus, TAL-NoiseMaker, Komplete 10,
Equipment: APC40, AudioBox USB

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BronyMetalMix (Username was before Note Wise.)
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/notewise
Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/notewise
BronyMetalMix

Primary: FL Studio, and Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Electronic and Guitar

Re: Some words of Advice when it comes to people saying You

Postby Freewave » 05 Jul 2013 17:52

Damn straight.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 05 Jul 2013 22:14

No one has the right to say you should quit music.

No one.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby itroitnyah » 05 Jul 2013 22:38

Ok, so the average listeners advice should be taken in different variances, depending on what you're trying to do with your music whether you're trying to entertain others or express yourself.

If you're trying to entertain others, then the audiences reactions to your music are critical and sometimes even more important than a critique from an actual producer's standpoint, although the actual critique that the average listener would give should be taken with a grain of salt, as they more than likely don't know what they're talking about. Critique such as "this is weak" and "the beat is awful" are very important though, since if the audience isn't impressed, it means you're doing something wrong and if you ever want to entertain your audience, you should change something so that they are impressed.

If you're expressing yourself, then you should take the average listeners advice with a grain of salt, because you don't care, you're just doing this to express yourself, whatever topic closed go home and good night. However, that does not necessarily mean that you should ignore the average listeners advice, because you cannot express yourself with music that sounds like shit, because nobody would pay attention to you, and that is what expression requires, people to pay attention to you.

So essentially, if it comes out that more people don't like your music than do like it, you're doing something wrong and you should practice, train and educate yourself and make something fucking epic.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 05 Jul 2013 22:44

itroitnyah wrote:Ok, so the average listeners advice should be taken in different variances, depending on what you're trying to do with your music whether you're trying to entertain others or express yourself.

If you're trying to entertain others, then the audiences reactions to your music are critical and sometimes even more important than a critique from an actual producer's standpoint, although the actual critique that the average listener would give should be taken with a grain of salt, as they more than likely don't know what they're talking about. Critique such as "this is weak" and "the beat is awful" are very important though, since if the audience isn't impressed, it means you're doing something wrong and if you ever want to entertain your audience, you should change something so that they are impressed.

If you're expressing yourself, then you should take the average listeners advice with a grain of salt, because you don't care, you're just doing this to express yourself, whatever topic closed go home and good night. However, that does not necessarily mean that you should ignore the average listeners advice, because you cannot express yourself with music that sounds like shit, because nobody would pay attention to you, and that is what expression requires, people to pay attention to you.

So essentially, if it comes out that more people don't like your music than do like it, you're doing something wrong and you should practice, train and educate yourself and make something fucking epic.

*applauds*

well said.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby BronyMetalMix » 06 Jul 2013 01:36

itroitnyah wrote:Ok, so the average listeners advice should be taken in different variances, depending on what you're trying to do with your music whether you're trying to entertain others or express yourself.

Oh yeah, trust me. He gave a bit of critique that I still took. But the big thing with him was that he wouldn't get the big message that I was trying to tell him. When he started to get in my head by telling me that "Oh all the people that support you are just lairs and to scared to tell ya the truth." and calling me a lair and saying that I was "Trying to justify my shitty music." I just kept telling him "I need to grow with what I'm doing and that no artist that you listened to now was good as they are now when the first started." Just every time that I typed out message trying to explain to him the big thing I was trying to get through his head he just says "You're a lair." So I think looking back, at that point I just have just said "Fuck it" and stopped messaging.

Really I just wanted to share this little story with all of you because of just what someone can do to try make ya feel like a failure. What they can do to make ya feel like you should just give up on what you enjoy doing and those who enjoy what you do. Just keep at it and you'll improve other as the years come by.
MOAR SONGS!
Transitions
Chord and Melodies
Mixing

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BronyMetalMix (Username was before Note Wise.)
BronyMetalMix

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Jul 2013 07:42

Those types of people are the worst. They don't like your music, so of course they're going to tell you how awful you are and that everybody thinks so, because they think that they can push you around because they don't like your music. That just because you aren't as good as they approve of, you shouldn't be making music. That's the right and best thing to do, just to stop messaging them.
itroitnyah

Postby vladnuke » 06 Jul 2013 09:33

Look, not everyone will be able to express in words why they don't like your track, because not everyone is a musician. But anyone can judge whether a track is shit or not because music is ubiquitous. Now, there will always be people who just shit on you for no reason, so its good to hear from multiple people, musicians and non-musicians alike, about how your track is doing. Generally, if you like it, and if who you want to like it likes it, then good job.

But lets be real here, some of the shit I enounter daily on MLR and youtube really fucking stinks. Although I wouldn't say that outright (I'd give you pointers on fixing it) most people won't bother. They'll just not listen to you again. That's why it's important to make sure you have done everything to make your track the best it can possibly be.

Basically, small amounts of haters are a vital neccesity.
Large amounts means that something has gone wrong and you need to work on it.
Don't see it as a personal attack, learn from it.
vladnuke

Postby JSynth » 06 Jul 2013 14:27

It sounds like this guy is just hating on you for the sake of it. Don't let him get to you and focus on improving your music overall. If you focus on what he is saying, then you will only put yourself down.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby BronyMetalMix » 07 Jul 2013 02:00

One thing I wanted to add is that fame doesn't come overnight. It can be tough, seeing all these other musicians getting so many plays and views and all that good stuff. But what ya gotta remember is that even they started out as not good as they are now. They've worked their asses off. Is it hard? Of course it is, and there's gonna be those moments of down where ya feel you should just quit. But when that happens, Ya know what you should do? Take a step back, look at the fans you DO have and thank them for all the support that they've given you. Use them as that a reason to keep going and climbing this mountain, no matter how hard it is.
MOAR SONGS!
Transitions
Chord and Melodies
Mixing

BronyMetalMix

Postby ph00tbag » 08 Jul 2013 22:42

Someone who doesn't give you the courtesy of constructive criticism, and doesn't frame even their harshest critiques in terms of what you can do to improve, clearly isn't concerned with taking you seriously, and is only being selfish with what they want out of their music. If they're not going to take you seriously, you have no obligation to take them seriously.

I ignore anyone who just tells me to quit. I also only let unconstructive compliments get to my head for a little bit before I let them go.

It's harder to let the dumb compliments go, though; they feel so good.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby itroitnyah » 09 Jul 2013 08:31

Haha, if you wanna get a little laugh out of it, then when they send you a hate message, reply with Image
itroitnyah

Postby ganondox » 09 Jul 2013 10:05

Whenever someone says you shouldn't make music just think of this guy.

He proved that if you want to make music you should make music all the same, and shouldn't let anything get in your way.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby HMage » 10 Jul 2013 03:20

You suck.

You should quit.

Nothing anyone says should stop you from making more music if you really want to do that.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby Fimbulin » 10 Jul 2013 03:42

HMage wrote:You suck.

You should quit.

Fix'd!
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby Viricide Filly » 16 Jul 2013 07:10

I get a few comments like that. I also get dislikes (2 or 3 at times) within 2 minutes of putting the songs up.
You know what I just do? I laugh, because I like my music, and others like my music, and I just think why should I give a crap that people are so butthurt over a bad mixdown or something that they need to listen to 30 seconds and downrate my song?
I've even got a PM by some guy who's music was ten times worse than mine from a musician's point of view, telling me I should listen to his music more for inspiration because I was so shit.
I honestly don't think I'm "shit". People who suck at music are the people who think that putting a soundgoodizer on every insert in the mixer is a decent way to compress (ahuehue), people who suck at music are the people who use stock FL drum loops and a sytrus preset saw at 110BPM and call it drumstep. Those people suck.
If you can make a melody which doesn't make me want to tear my fucking ears out with my celestia toy's horn, and the mixdown isn't bad enough to make it unlistenable, then you DON'T FUCKING SUCK, REGARDLESS OF ANYTHING. Because you've made music. If you suck at music, then that IMO means you /can't/ make anything decent, which is wrong for 90% of the musicians within this community.
To outright say we "all" suck after all those inspiration speeches is kinda both anti-climactic and a party-pooper. And also untrue. I go from listening to daft punk to listening to some of the musicians in this forum and I bop my head up and down just the motherfakin' same. (inb4 "but daft punk sucks too" notheydon'tlel)

I'm pretty fucking sick of people telling others their song sucks because of the mixing too. If it's got a repetetive melody and the sound-design is near non existant 'cuz 3xosc presets, as well as shitty mixing, shitty mastering, you've not rendered a lossless file etc, you've mastered it on audacity etc, then it might suck and I'll fahkin' tell you it sucks.
If you have fans, even three of them, who listen to your music, then you're doing something right.
Get your motivation from the positive part and build up from the negative part (Unless they're telling you to kill yourself lal that's too far)
I mean, I've got hate over youtube for everything from transexuality to "ur commenting on ur own vids to make them seem more popular you fag" srsly wtf I was replying to praise gimmie a break
Yeah it's made me want to quit sometimes, especially when I try new stuff and it gets put down. But you should NEVER feel bad because of what fags say, whether it be "you suck" "I suck" "we all suck" "Suck mah dick o3o"
I count every like I get as a reason to go on, and I count every dislike as "Well he viewed my video anyway so he just gave me attention ahue"
Count every good comment as motivation, keep elements of what it praises, and add elements from the constructive criticism you get. And if you get random hate, laugh at them 'cuz free entertainment owo
At least, that's MY opinion on things and it's gotten me through lyfe so far.
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby ExoBassTix » 16 Jul 2013 09:47

I don't even laugh.
I just go on with what I was doing.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby topitmunkeydog » 19 Jul 2013 02:21

If someone gives you constructive advice then try and use that on your next project or at least keep it in mind.

If someone says, "your music suck adn uyou should quite muiuusic"

Don your best snooty accent, sigh, and say something like, "some people just don't understand the avant-garde..."
And then do the condescending anime thing where you push glasses up your nose
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby Revandose » 27 Jul 2013 00:33

You aren't anyone till you have haters. So rejoice! You just reached that next level.
Soundcloud
I use Ableton and love to collaborate
Revandose

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 27 Jul 2013 03:18

It's impossible to be universally liked. I know people from school who hate Queen. Although the fact that he was singing Taylor Swift at the time made that a bit difficult to say nothing about.

The point is that you'll definitely find some people who like what you do, and you'll also get people who don't like it.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby K3WRO » 29 Jul 2013 05:34

If someone says your music sucks, Your famous! I mean, many famous musicians and Artists all have haters. Nobody said anything about my music which actually is even more demotivating than being hated
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
K3WRO

Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice