Brony Media

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: Brony Media

Postby itroitnyah » 09 Jul 2013 08:43

Well, uh, it sounds like you've sorta fixed things the best you could.

Also... I sorta took a look at the three people you've listed off to us that you've "signed", and I must say... With "dijital" having just under 200 subs, and that's the one with the most subs on your list of 3 you've given us, you may want to seriously look at getting people with a bit bigger audiences, otherwise you won't get anywhere. At all. Unless some of the others in the group of 10 have more subs.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ExoBassTix » 11 Jul 2013 14:17

I can't believe you guys.

You actually discard this idea because of the many failures that have come, and even publicly so?
Do you think Spinnin' Recs had ~100000 followers right from the start, to give an example?

It starts with an ambiguous idea, and that seems to be the case here. It sounds like Brony Media takes themselves serious. It always starts like that, y'know.

Sorry for stepping out of my usual pattern but this had to be said in this way.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Nine Volt » 11 Jul 2013 14:26

ExoBassTix wrote:I can't believe you guys.

You actually discard this idea because of the many failures that have come, and even publicly so?

Yes, if you look back on the thread that's exactly what we did, and with good reason. No offense to the creator of this thread, but this is a generic "brony" promotion network that frankly will not get very far.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 11 Jul 2013 14:27

We know that they have a facebook page and have a few artists that are pretty much dully noted within the fandom at around 200 subs being the max that they've told us about so far, that they have a team of 35ish critiquing the songs, with 3 or so having studio setups, and that they have a legal team. They haven't really told us stuff such as how they're going to promote their label, which is the really big part. Spinnin' Recs certainly did some self promoting so that they could get to where they are.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Freewave » 11 Jul 2013 15:28

Nine Volt wrote:

Yes, if you look back on the thread that's exactly what we did, and with good reason. No offense to the creator of this thread, but this is a generic "brony" promotion network that frankly will not get very far.

I know the op is still adjusting his business model and that's a good idea. There's nothing wrong with fixing what's wrong and while MLR may be critical its because we've seen so many of these ideas come and go and die out. I was part of both EQ Hype and Second Chances so I've had some first-hand experience with these failures.

It's like putting your music in the music MLR subforum, you should EXPECT some criticism if its not perfect and most people do get it wrong from the outset. He put his idea out here and we saw all kinds of flaws with it. We're actually helping when we do that because otherwise it will play out badly.

I brainstormed a list yesterday of what it would TAKE for a music label to truly work. The op or anyone can take my advice or leave it, but its there. I wish them success but i don't see many people making the right moves (hence the list).

The single biggest thing i can recommend to ANYONE making brony music (music about MLP) that wishes for more recognition is make really GOOD music music first (work out the kinks), make it pony, and get it to EQD. Lots of people aren't doing all or any of the 3. MOTD is there for a reason and it wipes the floor with any startup promo label trying to do the same thing. People can do these steps by themselves.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Navron » 11 Jul 2013 23:46

Do you think Spinnin' Recs had ~100000 followers right from the start, to give an example?

It starts with an ambiguous idea, and that seems to be the case here. It sounds like Brony Media takes themselves serious. It always starts like that, y'know.

Sorry for stepping out of my usual pattern but this had to be said in this way.

As I said on the previous page, when talking about a label, we're talking about promotion. In order to get promotion, a label needs people to work it, a website, and places to promote.

Regardless if people are going to work for the label for free, all those other things need money. Websites have server costs. Facebook pages charge money to promote posts. YouTube accounts need to be setup for partnerships.

Yes, all of these things can be done for free, but you can't have a successful label with restricted bandwidth on a website, or hoping people discover a Facebook page to like it.

People don't spend money to promote other artists without some kind of guarantee to earn money back. That means contracts.

Contracts mean you have a legally binding clause between the label and yourself, and that means you have a certain time period that contract remains in effect.

With contracts that legally bind you for a certain period of time, you face legal issues for breaching any terms of that contract. Legal issues that have very real, real-life consequences that can break a person financially.

So no, I can't take your recommendation that basically says, "have faith." There needs to be a solid plan of action, with every possible contingency well thought out beforehand, because in order for a label to be successful, you need everything above.

There is no perfect win-win scenario. Every action requires an equal and opposite reaction. You can't become rich without somebody else becoming poor. You can't earn advertising revenue without people to suffer through the advertisements. You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

In order for this to work, somebody needs to make a sacrifice. The reason it never works, is because nobody is willing to make that sacrifice. Brony labels try to keep things free to avoid making that sacrifice, and they will forever remain unnoticed to the masses due to the lack of an ability to get themselves out there.

In order for a label to be successful, somebody needs to fund it, and if a label is trying to show musicians that they are there to help them, then they need to make those sacrifices to show them that's the case.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Conduit » 11 Jul 2013 23:55

Navron knows whats up. Claiming to be a label means more then just having a channel that all the music from various artists sits on. Labels make money, ideally for both parties involved, but not necessarily. At their core they are companies, and need to be treated as such.

Also, thanks for making that list Freewave, I agree with basically everything on it.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Freewave » 12 Jul 2013 07:46

^Thx, it's basically a dream list and as Navron said people would really need to work off the clock or put some funding in it to make it REALLY work.

I feel for the people that want to do something beneficial for the community but its hard to make something that will stick around and be actively used. BMD might get 300-500 views a day but really that's low #'s compared to other brony sites (EQD, Everfree). Pony.fm i thought was going to be a great contender against eqbeats (which i feel is kind of lackluster) and it didnt gather a whole lot of additional artists once it opened and has lost some momentum. As i pointed in another thread Musiquestria didnt get a lot of community funding. It's just really frustrating to see so many good projects get started and either mainline and be marginal or die out. So many other ones get started without even a plan....
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Brony Media » 12 Jul 2013 13:16

Thanks for that 'brainstorm' of yours Freewave, we're still changing things around a bit, and this read really helped. We released our first mix, which you can find on our channel. Although the transitioning in the mix was generally rough, it's a good first shot, for that artist, at least. Our first few weeks will be a bit tough, with all the work we've been pooling into this. We're going to be changing quite a bit with every release, to make this succeed. We'll see how it goes. I've made a lot of friends from this, and it has been fun so far. ^^
Brony Media

Previous

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic