Mega-MLR Charity Album & Smile : A Christmas charity Fund

Current events we're participating in.

Re: Mega-MLR Charity Album

Postby SoGreatandPowerful » 06 Dec 2011 22:33

I would like to contribute. Especially now that it may be connected to the Bronies for Good fundraiser.
SoGreatandPowerful

Re: Smile ! : A Christmas charity fundraiser

Postby Makkon » 06 Dec 2011 22:41

Merging threads for further discussion.
Also probably giving the old auto song submission system another use. Any other specifications that we need to discuss? Let me know what needs to be done and I'll take care of it.

BTW, InC, if you could post any additional information in this thread that's be great.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Re: Mega-MLR Charity Album & Smile : A Christmas charity Fun

Postby InC » 07 Dec 2011 07:40

Few things are as devastating as a child diagnosed with a life-threatening illness. Young patients and their families are quickly thrust into an unfamiliar and often frightening world of medical decisions and hospital protocols. At the same time, they are typically coping with emotional upheaval and financial anxiety. Their needs go well beyond what even the best medical care can provide. However, in the words of a parent, sometimes even during the craziest storms you are lucky enough to get a rainbow . Let's do as much as we can to give them that chance, and make them, too, want to keep smiling forever ! The Children's Cancer Association needs our donations to provide supportive mentors to children undergoing emotionally isolating and physically difficult cancer treatment. In collaboration with Bronies for Good and GlobalGiving, the plan is to make a collaborative album feature original and exclusive songs, which will be sent to anyone donating to this cause. Depending of how many people donate by the end of the year, CCA will receive an extra 500$ to 3000$ !

~ What to submit ~

The theme of this event is a simple word : smile. This is what good music makes people do, so there are very few restrictions as to what you can submit. Pony and non-pony are equally welcome, but it needs to be original, exclusive work - so no remixes, no covers, and do not publish it on youtube, soundcloud or similar websites. Charity deserves exclusive content ! There will be quality vetting, but as long as you avoid downright grimdark topics, loosely following the theme nothing more than a mere suggestion : let your creativity flow free. It's also a good way for your music to reach more people, so give it your best shot !

~ Timeline ~

Because of time constraints, this will be released in two separate volumes.
Submission deadline for the 1st volume : December 22nd
Release date of the 1st volume : December 25th
Submission deadline for the 2nd volume : January 11th

~ How to register and submit ~

1) Register to mylittleremix.com
2) Click "Participate" on this page as soon as you decide to contribute : submission/list.php?event=24
3) When you're done, upload your song to a file uploader only, not youtube.
4) Click "Submit" on this page here, putting the download link in both "Download" and "Youtube" : submission/list.php?event=24

Feel free to offer suggestions, especially regarding the album's name !
Last edited by InC on 09 Dec 2011 12:02, edited 4 times in total.
InC

Postby Makkon » 07 Dec 2011 12:11

Posted it up in the events

submission/list.php?event=24

let me know if you want a different title.

Submission process

1. register to MLR.com
2. use link above, click submit entry
3. fill out form completely, including download link (very important)
4. submit

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby InC » 07 Dec 2011 13:26

Thanks. Do we really need Youtube uploads for this ? I'm putting it in for now, as it could make it easier for the vetting team, I guess.
The blogpost will be up either tomorrow or the day after.
InC

Postby Interrobang Pie » 07 Dec 2011 14:17

You can submit unlisted videos - it's what happens every Remix War.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Tsyolin » 07 Dec 2011 15:08

So I heard it's a Christmas album now...

*Breaks out his Trans-Siberian Orchestra albums and plays them at full blast*

Let's do this!
Tsyolin

Primary: Studio One
Cutie Mark: I don't even know anymore

Postby sci » 07 Dec 2011 16:25

InC wrote:The theme of this event is a simple word : smile.

Submission deadline for the 1st volume : December 22nd

I was kinda planning on avoiding this because I have other projects planned for this month...but this looks fun.
Do I have to announce "I'm doing this" or can I just show up with a song?
also: song length requirements?
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby Makkon » 07 Dec 2011 22:43

Youtube won't be needed, just put in a duplicate of the download link. However, there's no harm in having a youtube release. Just don't provide the download in the youtube video.

Are we having these releases public? Could generate more interest if we link to the charity album in the description of each song.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby SoGreatandPowerful » 07 Dec 2011 23:09

Makkon wrote:Could generate more interest if we link to the charity album in the description of each song.
It certainly would. Also, I'd hate to blackmail people, but maybe we only release 30 seconds of each song or something like that hehe.
SoGreatandPowerful

Postby MiuMiuChuu » 07 Dec 2011 23:26

About the video;

How about we do a promotional video instead of actually releasing a full song on YouTube. We have at least three different kind promotional videos which one of them contains short preview of the songs in the album, just like SoGreatandPowerful said. This could be done on someone's account (or accounts, as the participants post the video on their own channel) or we make an entirely new one if someone's willing enough to do so, which ever is best.

And of course the links to charity will be featured on the description box.

Just an idea though.

Also, maybe we should make a google document about details who is on board on the project, the organizers (final mixer, compellers, public relation etc.), the charity organization we're approaching, and "partners" (e.g. EqD, brony forums and radios), artists who are willing to do part on the album art, and confirmed songs that will be on the album. This document of course will have updates on its content.

Beh, the arts manager in me is on the loose :p
MiuMiuChuu

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Weird kind

Postby Tsyolin » 07 Dec 2011 23:42

MiuMiuChuu wrote:How about we do a promotional video instead of actually releasing a full song on YouTube. We have at least three different kind promotional videos which one of them contains short preview of the songs in the album, just like SoGreatandPowerful said. This could be done on someone's account (or accounts, as the participants post the video on their own channel) or we make an entirely new one if someone's willing enough to do so, which ever is best.

You suggest an MLR Channel? Not a bad idea.
Tsyolin

Primary: Studio One
Cutie Mark: I don't even know anymore

Postby kubosmisek » 08 Dec 2011 03:17

Heya everyone. I do a bit of work for Bronies for Good and would firstly like to thank you for taking so much initiative and goodwill in this goal, you all truly rock!

I am currently working on setting up a page on our website where we can stash as much information about the fundraiser so everyone (who reads it) will know what is going on, how they can help and where all the money will be going. So far the main event is you guys and the album, then we hope that some artists will be willing to sell their merch for this cause (or at least donate a percent of their profits), and some artists who will create pieces for the most generous bronies (as a prize).

We also hope to track all the progress on the site as well, including all the art auctions (we hope to) see and informing ponies what the current donation record is so everypony knows what to strive for.

If you would want anything added to the site just drop us an email ([email protected]) or write it here and I'll do my best to make the arrangements.

And again, hats off to you all.
kubosmisek

Postby Frank » 08 Dec 2011 05:14

I was sent by someone over in deviant art to ask if I could help by making some art for your project. Here is my deviantart page. http://scarlethawks.deviantart.com/
Frank

Postby Versilaryan » 08 Dec 2011 05:28

Wow, this is really starting to take off! Looks like I'll have to put extra extra effort into this!
Versilaryan

Postby InC » 08 Dec 2011 11:44

I think that the gift of the album to every donor would be much more meaningful (as well as a stronger incentive) if all of the tracks were exclusive and unpublished. For promotion, uploading teasers on a new channel, as Miu suggested, is probably the best way to go.

I'll add more info to my previous post, could someone either move it or link to it in the OP ? It's getting buried in page 3 and some people might miss it.

@sci : go there ( submission/list.php?event=24 ) and click "Participate", then submit it on the same page when you're done. There is no restriction on song length.

@Frank : Thanks a lot for your offer ! A blogpost should be up by tomorrow on the Bronies for Good website and EqD, explaining exactly how and what to submit as soon as we're done with the last details.
InC

Postby Makkon » 08 Dec 2011 16:36

I updated the first post to link to your description on page 3. Be sure to keep your post up to date. :]

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Darktrot » 08 Dec 2011 19:08

Me and the shadowbolts are already working :)
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby MiuMiuChuu » 09 Dec 2011 15:03

I already found the post of this on Bronies for Good, but still can't find it on EqD. I could probably miss it though. Maybe someone could post a link for it just to make sure...
MiuMiuChuu

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Weird kind

Postby InC » 09 Dec 2011 15:34

It's not up on EqD yet, but I got a reply from Seth about an hour ago saying he'll post it, so we should see it later in the day.
InC

Postby MixolydianPony » 09 Dec 2011 21:08

So can anyone participate? Even those of us with significantly less experience making music?

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Postby Navron » 09 Dec 2011 23:09

Anybody can participate, but there likely will be a decision on which songs will be in or not.

I'm still relatively new to song making, so I'm giving this song my all, and if it doesn't get in, oh well.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby MixolydianPony » 10 Dec 2011 06:57

(Should have put this in my first post :P )

Are there any restrictions or recommendations or anything on genre? I'd hate to submit some off the wall big band swing tune that doesn't fit at all.

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 10 Dec 2011 10:03

Okay, I'm totally giving this a shot. My winter break just began, I'm about to finish this remix I've been working on (my first ever!), and I already even have an idea for a song. I've always sucked a lyrics and singing, but eh, I'll figure something out.

I probably won't register until I have something more concrete though; knowing myself there's a chance I won't get anything done by at least the first deadline and I'd hate not to deliver on time.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby BeatleBrony » 10 Dec 2011 10:12

I think that we could do something! This sounds like an excellent idea!

But we'd have to write an original song... should be fun!
"There's nothing you can make that can't be made. Nopony you can save that can't be saved."

Bandcamp - Youtube Channel
BeatleBrony

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events