Headphones

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Headphones

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Jun 2013 13:58

Heh, I'm just slowly saving up money for some acoustic panels and then I'm getting a set of $500 monitors, and then I'll still have enough that I could buy a cheap car from craigslist ($1500 or so), all by the end of summer.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Jun 2013 17:23

Please get back on topic guys.

Yeah I don't think $22 dollar heaphones are going to compete with the ones 4th recommended :3
Nine Volt

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 07 Jun 2013 17:29

Freewave wrote:I'm curious if people really think you need to spend $300 or more for a set of really good headphones because that seems a bit extravagant to me.

$300 will get you slightly above entry level studio headphones like the 280s.

The 380s are a good investment, but for real studio comfort you want open back like the 650s.

I tend to recommend people away from Beyerdynamic and Audio Technica, I think the sound is over hyped and unbalanced and only get praise from bronies because theyre the only headphones theyve used that give decent sound quality past their apple buds they were producing with before.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby the4thImpulse » 07 Jun 2013 18:24

Lavender_Harmony wrote:I tend to recommend people away from Beyerdynamic and Audio Technica,

And to rephrase what I said earlier, this is why you have go to a store and listen to them for yourselves. Everyone has biases, and I don't really like the way my beyerdynamics were mentioned as 'the godlike headphones'. They work great for me, but they may not work great for you (of course any headphones in this range will be awesome if you haven't experienced them yet).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby froggy » 07 Jun 2013 22:11

Lavender_Harmony wrote:I tend to recommend people away from Beyerdynamic and Audio Technica, I think the sound is over hyped and unbalanced and only get praise from bronies because theyre the only headphones theyve used that give decent sound quality past their apple buds they were producing with before.

I can't personally attest to their quality vs any other headphones in/above their price range, but believe me, they get praise from more than just the pony fandom
ponies are homo
froggy

Postby Fimbulin » 08 Jun 2013 00:04

Nine Volt wrote:Yeah I don't think $22 dollar heaphones are going to compete with the ones 4th recommended :3

BUT for only $22 they certainly are worth a try!!!!!!!
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby Acsii » 08 Jun 2013 03:16

When at my studio I use AKG K702s <.< they are good
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Ocular » 08 Jun 2013 06:48

I use Numark Red Wave headphones and I love them. They're only like 70 bucks, too. The frequency response is pretty good for the price.
inactive
Ocular

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Jun 2013 07:14

Guys, 9V isn't asking for a good pair of headphones, he's asking for a set in the $350 range (so an exceptional pair). Unless he really wants to try and see which of the cheap headphones you're all offering him compete, he isn't going to buy the headphones you're all suggesting. The only other exception would be if the headphones are on a 80-94% discount for whatever reason, since those are the discounts the headphones that a few people have been offering would need to match the prices they're saying from $350.
itroitnyah

Postby Ocular » 08 Jun 2013 07:30

Why not try the Audio Technica ATH-M50s?
inactive
Ocular

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Jun 2013 08:12

Lol, those are still $200 below the price range that he's looking at. I really feel like I'm being rude, telling you guys that he's not going to buy the thing you guys are suggesting (although ACSII's suggestion is definitely a possibility).
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 08 Jun 2013 08:32

Fimbulin wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:Yeah I don't think $22 dollar heaphones are going to compete with the ones 4th recommended :3

BUT for only $22 they certainly are worth a try!!!!!!!

Except my current pair I use for production were $60, so no, sorry.

And yeah, listen to itroitnyah's last few posts.
Nine Volt

Postby Alycs » 08 Jun 2013 09:19

One of my friends has a pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-100's, and they sound really good. They boost the bass ever-so-slightly, so they aren't perfectly unbiased for mixing; but they have amazing listening quality and still keep most of the audio fidelity.

I haven't actually worked with them, but from listening to them before and reading reviews, they look the like a good choice.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby the4thImpulse » 08 Jun 2013 09:39

Nine Volt wrote:*I looked through the past three pages and didn't find anything so please don't eat me if there's already a thread on this*

I'm thinking it's time for a new (and better, preferably) pair of headphones. However, I have no idea where to start and I don't really feel like combing Google for an answer.

My price limit right now is about $350 USD. Should I save up for better headphones or can I get a decently good pair for that little?

I've heard good things about Sennheiser, but I looked at their site and don't know where to start or what ones would be good for production.

Any help would be appreciated! Also, if you need more information just let me know

Here is his original post, he says he wants production headphones so please recommend him production headphones, in his price range.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Alycs » 08 Jun 2013 09:50

Okay, I looked at more info on the V-Moda's and it looks like they are geared more toward DJ'ing and listening; but they still look like they are VERY good. They have a 5Hz - 30kHz range, so all it cuts out is firmly in the "noise" region. It has 32Ohm Impedance, so it can get pretty loud before its starts distorting, but you aren't at the "need an amp" level.

However, I still can't find a frequency response graph to check its balance, but from listening, I still think they boost the bass, and a lot of reviews say the same. However, its also categorized as "balanced", so I'm really just giving qualitative evidence.

4th could probably add more info. A few reviews I saw said they were not geared towards studio work; but I also saw another one saying they they were among the best mixing headphones they had ever used. (Didn't say what they were using before, though)

Also, Avicii uses them if that counts for anything
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Jun 2013 10:01

I think it'd still be pretty smart of 9V to grab the beyerdynamic 880 things that 4th recommended would be a better decision to purchase, or if he really wants to just go all out, the sennheiser hd650s
itroitnyah

Postby Acsii » 08 Jun 2013 17:01

The m-100 s are not too good for production. With an impendance of only 32 ohms you want more for production and although they go into the bass they don't reach into the higher frequencies you want for production. Whereas the hd650 s... Now they're good... I prefer akg over sennheiser for comfort ability... But it all depends on whether that's an issue or not.
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby CDPP » 08 Jun 2013 19:30

ΛCSII wrote:The m-100 s are not too good for production. With an impendance of only 32 ohms you want more for production and although they go into the bass they don't reach into the higher frequencies you want for production. Whereas the hd650 s... Now they're good... I prefer akg over sennheiser for comfort ability... But it all depends on whether that's an issue or not.

I'm confused, what does impedance have to do with frequency response?
CDPP

Postby Acsii » 08 Jun 2013 19:36

I was just talking about the m-100s in general
Acsii

Postby Raddons » 08 Jun 2013 19:44

Who in here mentioned Monoprice earlier? I've heard nothing but good things about them (and especially for the price). Has anyone else tried them?
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Acsii » 08 Jun 2013 19:46

Monoprice are alright but they don't last as long as you'd like
Acsii

Postby 3xcel » 09 Jun 2013 07:05

PYR3LIGHT wrote:I use Sennheiser HD 205, cost me about £50.

But I hear most professionals use Beats by Dre because they have exceptional coloration on the bottom end.

My sarcasm meter is going off the charts.
3xcel

Postby S.P.P » 09 Jun 2013 11:59

I swear by Sennheiser and KRK. Generally speaking I would pick one of these brands any day. I prefer KRK monitors to headphones, and for me, Sennheiser takes it. So personally, I'd look for a pair of Senn's in your price range.

Pls don't hate me for having opinions guise D:
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby itroitnyah » 09 Jun 2013 12:55

PYR3LIGHT wrote:I prefer KRK monitors to headphones, and for me, Sennheiser takes it. So personally, I'd look for a pair of Senn's in your price range.

I've heard that some KRK's have a slighty distorted bass. Sennheiser is great though.
itroitnyah

Postby BluNoseReindeer » 10 Jun 2013 01:39

In that price range, I'd look at the Shure SRH-840's I've used those, the 440's and currently record using Sennheiser HD280's. Headphones won't replace a good set of monitors for mixing though.
BluNoseReindeer
Jack of All Trades Musician, Singer, Songwriter and percussionist
BluNoseReindeer

PreviousNext

Return to Technique