Headphones

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Headphones

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Jun 2013 15:24

*I looked through the past three pages and didn't find anything so please don't eat me if there's already a thread on this*

I'm thinking it's time for a new (and better, preferably) pair of headphones. However, I have no idea where to start and I don't really feel like combing Google for an answer.

My price limit right now is about $350 USD. Should I save up for better headphones or can I get a decently good pair for that little?

I've heard good things about Sennheiser, but I looked at their site and don't know where to start or what ones would be good for production.

Any help would be appreciated! Also, if you need more information just let me know
Nine Volt

Re: Headphones

Postby MrBronyPlan » 06 Jun 2013 15:29

I personally use Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, mainly cause I found them sittin' around my house like they own the place. They do good for me, they cost about $100 straight from the Sennheiser website. I'm not to sure about headsets. Not too sure about other Sennheiser stuff though. Or too much about any other brands.
Nice.
MrBronyPlan

Primary: FL Studio 12
Cutie Mark: Potato

Postby the4thImpulse » 06 Jun 2013 15:30

I use Beyerdynamic headphones, DT-880's 600 Ω.

I forget the exact price I got them for, it was more than a year ago, I think it was around $300.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Jun 2013 15:36

the4thImpulse wrote:I use Beyerdynamic headphones, DT-880's 600 Ω.

I forget the exact price I got them for, it was more than a year ago, I think it was around $300.

These look quite nice; the list price is 400 but Amazon has it for 350. And since I know you know what you're talking about I think these are probably what I'm going to get when I get a bit more money.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the 600 ohm version and the other ones?
Nine Volt

Postby Freewave » 06 Jun 2013 15:37

I'm curious if people really think you need to spend $300 or more for a set of really good headphones because that seems a bit extravagant to me.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Jun 2013 15:40

Why?

I personally need headphones because I can't be playing my music out loud because reasons, so I can't get speakers (I forget what the actual term is ;_;) if that's what you're implying. Also I enjoy the mobility aspect (I don't listen with good headphones on the street or whatever though)
Nine Volt

Postby the4thImpulse » 06 Jun 2013 15:50

Freewave wrote:I'm curious if people really think you need to spend $300 or more for a set of really good headphones because that seems a bit extravagant to me.

Have you intently listened to real studio headphones before? There is a difference between them and expensive consumer headphones, the more attuned your ears the bigger the difference. Cheaper headphone don't do it for me anymore, and my $300 phones are still at the bottom end of whats out there.

Nine Volt wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the 600 ohm version and the other ones?

Ohms are the measurement of resistance the speakers face when a voltage is applied, I am really simplifying it but it basically means they take more power to operate (I use audio interfaces with good headphone amps). Ipods wont power them like they would the included ipod headphones, they will be much quieter. The big advantage is accuracy and frequency response (you want headphones that can play outside of common human hearing 20-20k).
the4thImpulse

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Jun 2013 15:54

the4thImpulse wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the 600 ohm version and the other ones?

Ohms are the measurement of resistance the speakers face when a voltage is applied, I am really simplifying it but it basically means they take more power to operate (I use audio interfaces with good headphone amps). Ipods wont power them like they would the included ipod headphones, they will be much quieter. The big advantage is accuracy and frequency response (you want headphones that can play outside of common human hearing 20-20k).

So does the power requirement matter with regards to my computer? It's a somewhat low end laptop.
Nine Volt

Postby the4thImpulse » 06 Jun 2013 16:04

Nine Volt wrote:So does the power requirement matter with regards to my computer? It's a somewhat low end laptop.

Your computer won't be able to get them up to a high volume level. It should get them to an adequate listening level for commercial music but when making music you may be finding the quiet. If need be you can get cheap headphone amplifiers for the time being, until you get a good soundcard with nice DA converters you won't be getting the full potential out of the headphones. But don;t let that be an excuse to get anything not studio quality, they are just so much better.
the4thImpulse

Postby Orange » 06 Jun 2013 16:06

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a high ohm set of headphones, you'd need a headphone amp to make it worth the money no?

EDIT: Ninja'd by 4th
Last edited by Orange on 07 Jun 2013 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Orange

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Jun 2013 16:29

...he just explained that...
Nine Volt

Postby S.P.P » 06 Jun 2013 19:11

I use Sennheiser HD 205, cost me about £50.

But I hear most professionals use Beats by Dre because they have exceptional coloration on the bottom end.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Jun 2013 19:13

PYR3LIGHT wrote:I use Sennheiser HD 205, cost me about £50.

But I hear most professionals use Beats by Dre because they have exceptional coloration on the bottom end.

ohgod I cant tell if you're serious or not aaaaaaaaaaa
part of me thinks you are
But part of me doesn't
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Jun 2013 21:09

Yeah, your best bet is the headphones that 4th recommended. A few headphones in the same price range come close, such as the AKG K701 and K702, but it really sounds like have all the extra ohms should be helpful. Really looks like you're going to want to save up a few extra dollars and get an audio interface while you're at it (it'll benefit you in terms of future equipment you'll be getting). This one is perhaps the cheapest most reliable looking one with a good 24bit/96kHz quality. Yeah, this stuff is expensive. I know. But it's worth it. Although if you just decide to spend a bit extra to get a bit more reliable of an interface, the focusrite scarlett 2i2 is a great one.

P.S. PYR3LIGHT is joking
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Jun 2013 21:12

Eh, that's not that bad. I expected it to be more expensive honestly. Hopefully I can get a job this summer and maybe actually start getting decent gear
Nine Volt

Postby the4thImpulse » 06 Jun 2013 21:16

Nine Volt wrote: Hopefully I can get a job this summer and maybe actually start getting decent gear

I am wanting to do the exact same thing, best of luck to the both of us!

I should also add that you should absolutely go to a music store and check out (and specifically listen) to their headphones. Bring a cd/ipod or something and listen to songs you know really well; they should be well mixed and produced too.
the4thImpulse

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 07 Jun 2013 01:24

My Sennheiser HD 280's have served me well enough.

Obviously not the top of the range, but they're still really good in my opinion.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby bartekko » 07 Jun 2013 02:55

I currently use HD280, but as with all more expensive headphones, you're going to want to not let them out of your house at all times. No taking them on school trips, no taking them to school even though they have exceptional noise isolation they are really fucking fragile and i had to use warranty two times in a year.
At your price range i would suggest ATH-M50 because that's what i;m going to get next
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 07 Jun 2013 02:59

bartekko wrote:I currently use HD280, but as with all more expensive headphones, you're going to want to not let them out of your house at all times. No taking them on school trips, no taking them to school even though they have exceptional noise isolation they are really fucking fragile and i had to use warranty two times in a year.
At your price range i would suggest ATH-M50 because that's what i;m going to get next

This. I have a rule with headphones.

Treat them like glass puppies or you deserve the price tag of replacing them.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Jun 2013 06:23

Nine Volt wrote:Eh, that's not that bad. I expected it to be more expensive honestly. Hopefully I can get a job this summer and maybe actually start getting decent gear
Haha, with the way you're sounding, what you should really do is just save up and buy a nice $500-600 pair of headphones, go all out. And if you just decide to do that, then go for either the Sennheiser HD650 ($500), or Shure SRH1840 ($700) headphones. But if you want to remain stuck closer to your original budget, the Beyerdynamic DT-880 600 Ω will be your best bet.
itroitnyah

Postby Fimbulin » 07 Jun 2013 07:13

Monoprice has an excellent pair of headphones for travel. I think its about $22. One of the best pairs I have ever used- and comparable to the high end brand stuff too. I have so many friends that swear by those things!
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Jun 2013 08:58

Unless the headphones you're talking about are on an 84% sale, there's a good chance they don't compete with the headphones that 9V is looking at getting.
itroitnyah

Postby Ocular » 07 Jun 2013 13:26

the4thImpulse wrote:I am wanting to do the exact same thing, best of luck to the both of us!

I've seen your studio, and I really hope you're joking.
inactive
Ocular

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Jun 2013 13:33

He mostly wants to get some more hardware synthesizers. He even got a new audio interface with more ports so that he could do that without switching out connectors on a constant basis.
itroitnyah

Postby Ocular » 07 Jun 2013 13:34

I just barely scraped together the money to buy a $500 synth over the course of 4 years.

Please kill me.
inactive
Ocular

Next

Return to Technique