What is your weakest skill as a producer?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: What is your weakest skill as a producer?

Postby Paianni » 31 Mar 2013 12:23

Here's another problem of mine: 'marketing' and distribution. I mean my YT descriptions speak of my music as a mere contribution rather than an actual product. More experienced musicians will put something involving to start the description, which will be visible next to the thumbnail on a search list, but I don't do so much like that.

Despite the fact that I have a regularly updated account on EQBeats, SoundCloud and Tindeck, there's not really much to it than that. I need to start tapping into internet radio stations like Everfree and Celestia which might get more people interested. The pony genre is over-saturated as it is, it is of the utmost importance that I stand out in some way because currently I'm not going far enough.
Paianni

Postby ExoBassTix » 01 Apr 2013 04:41

My main problems are being slow and not being that good in mastering (and mixing).
Melodies aren't that difficult for me (especially arpeggiator ones :3 ) somehow, I have an infinite inspiration as it seems.

Ehh, I'm also not that good in creating my own sounds at times.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby cplbradley » 01 Apr 2013 13:44

My biggest problem is that because I use headphones instead of monitors, I end up with too much stereo width and weak sounds. But I'm starting to mix in mono so I'm getting better at it. Also my ADD prevents me from getting anything done, but I'm overcoming that by taking adderall every day now.
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 01 Apr 2013 17:07

cplbradley wrote:My biggest problem is that because I use headphones instead of monitors, I end up with too much stereo width and weak sounds. But I'm starting to mix in mono so I'm getting better at it. Also my ADD prevents me from getting anything done, but I'm overcoming that by taking adderall every day now.

Honestly I don't think it's that big of a deal. I have to use headphones cause all I have is a pair of [ok] computer speakers. That's it. No sub. It usually sounds fine though.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Wisp » 04 Apr 2013 11:17

I'm really weak with dubstep. I can make all the synths just fine; but as much as I want to produce it, it's just really hard for me :(
Wisp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: House, chill, dnb

Postby Venny_ » 06 Apr 2013 08:47

The darn synths.
Venny_

Postby prozeyic » 06 Apr 2013 13:15

Starting songs with chord progressions. Mixing and mastering.
prozeyic

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Sonarch » 06 Apr 2013 13:36

One of the things I feel like i'm having trouble with is staying focused. First off, I burn to make music whenever i'm super busy, but when I have loads of free time I end up goofing around and playing video games. And second, I can never keep focused on the same project because i'm interested in too many different things. I want to make EDM and learn to sing and write simple guitar songs and remix things and learn how to sound design and do covers and I bounce around all over the place. I have two electronic songs started, a guitar cover that I just need to practice and record, and a bunch of other things i'd like to do but don't. And when I figure out how I can get the skills I need for doing stuff like that, I don't end up devoting the time to learning the stuff. I've got three of those coursera class lectures downloaded, and an electronic theory book, and tons of helpful links. It'll get better soon though. Once this school year is over my workload should be reduced significantly.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Lying Pink » 07 Apr 2013 06:20

Sonarch wrote:And second, I can never keep focused on the same project because i'm interested in too many different things.

I have a similar problem :(
Trying to get better at writing and drawing as well as music, but I just don't have the time. Plus, it takes an unholy amount of effort for me to actually finish a track.
Fnord.
Soundcloud | Tumblr | Skype | YouTube | Email
/)__~
</</
Lying Pink

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Knees

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Apr 2013 07:41

You guys could try designating certain times for certain things, for example Lying you could say "Monday is music day, Tuesday is drawing, Wednesday is writing, etc". I'm truthfully not sure if that would do anything though, but when you sit down to write or draw or make music, say to yourself "I'm doing this or the next hour" or however long, and don't let yourself get distracted by anything.
Nine Volt

Postby VINXIS » 07 Apr 2013 15:55

died
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 08 Apr 2013 01:20

I just write music whenever I really feel inspired.

Also, I don't layer enough. I only recently tried layering up a pluck melody and it sounds SO MUCH BETTER with MUCH less effort than making the one pluck sound nice.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Wisp » 08 Apr 2013 07:47

I think my weakest skill as a producer is probably coming up with melodies that aren't really repetitive. I guess that's probably a thing you grow out of though, because my melodies have been getting a lot better and less repetitive.
Wisp

Cutie Mark: House, chill, dnb

Postby Lying Pink » 08 Apr 2013 12:04

Nine Volt wrote:You guys could try designating certain times for certain things, for example Lying you could say "Monday is music day, Tuesday is drawing, Wednesday is writing, etc". I'm truthfully not sure if that would do anything though, but when you sit down to write or draw or make music, say to yourself "I'm doing this or the next hour" or however long, and don't let yourself get distracted by anything.

Oh, I do! It more ends up "Monday is music day, tuesday is music day, wednesday is music day..." which I need to sort out, but I tend to be rather focused when I'm working on it. I think I'd always be complaining I didn't have enough time, even if this was my job.
Thanks for the advice, though :)
Fnord.
Soundcloud | Tumblr | Skype | YouTube | Email
/)__~
</</
Lying Pink

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Knees

Postby Sonarch » 09 Apr 2013 18:20

I feel like I either need such a huge amount of free time that I get bored with my usual goofing around activities and decide to work on music, or a very limited amount so I decide I need to work on it for awhile, but in that case I always run out of time when I really get going with it, and sometimes it's hard to get started again. I'm just a procrastinator who can't decide what to focus on.

BUT for the next two weeks i'm going to focus on getting my mic interface running and recording some guitar :3
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby HMage » 09 Apr 2013 18:25

Months passed since my last post on this thread.

Melodies are still my biggest problem. I'm always unhappy with what I come up with.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Armystuntman » 11 Apr 2013 14:36

I find it hard to make songs on demand. This is why I usually don't compose music for people making a cartoon or game. Not that I wouldn't want to, but that I wouldn't be able to come up with melodies with a deadline. However, when I do get a melody in mind, I put it to every single alteration there is.

I also have many problems with volume. I'm always too scared to alter the volume of instruments in a song, worrying that it'l become harder to fix any mistakes in volume. The only time I change volume during a song is with percussion.
Armystuntman

Primary: Fruity Loops
Cutie Mark: Tuba

Postby weegygreen2 » 12 Apr 2013 17:55

Making good drops.

And chord progressions.
DAWs: Fl Studio and Ableton
Synth's: Massive, FM8, Absynth 5, Harmor
Other Stuff: Melodyne, Auto-Tune, Ohmicide, CamelPhat3, Ozone 5, Trash 2

Ma Youtubez
weegygreen2

Postby 3xcel » 13 Apr 2013 19:02

Making melodies and chords that aren't super emotional.
3xcel

Postby Motivfs » 14 Apr 2013 00:24

Everything not named mixing now. It's like I'm getting worse.
Motivfs

Postby PrincessAddictia » 19 Apr 2013 08:05

I hate the whole marketing and advertisement part of being a (independent) musician.
PrincessAddictia

Postby Rider » 11 Jun 2013 16:46

I get all my ideas when I can't get to my computer or instruments, and my motivation's gone once I can finally make music
That aside, chord progressions are my biggest weakness, and the fact that I can't play the piano so well yet
High School Music Student and Electronic Musician in Training
Rider

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Clarinet

Postby Sonarch » 11 Jun 2013 16:50

Rider wrote:I get all my ideas when I can't get to my computer or instruments, and my motivation's gone once I can finally make music

THIS

and having no time. I better get so much music done this summer or I will be really mad at myself.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby ExoBassTix » 11 Jun 2013 22:58

Having no time (yey upcoming vacation), sound design, listening to what I already have x27346784326 and not doing anything else.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Conchetupony » 12 Jun 2013 06:16

Being an indie rock artist/producer thing, my weakest skill is definitely actual instrument technique. Really, I suck as a guitarist.
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

PreviousNext

Return to Technique