Celestia's Theme

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Celestia's Theme

Postby Senator Myth » 06 Jul 2011 09:03

This is my weekly song release. Hopefully you'll recognize it from the show. Picking it out by ear was a time-consuming but enjoyable learning experience. I was trying to take the song and expand it to make it vaster and more epic, while still maintaining Celestia's character. Hopefully, whether you think of her as motherly and wise, a powerful tyrant, or a subtly sympathetic and lonely character, you can find something in this song that sounds about right.

I hope you enjoy!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Re: Celestia's Theme

Postby ArtAttack » 06 Jul 2011 09:22

This is excellent, very regal. The crash cymbals make it, though. My mind is kinda blown, seeing as I produce electronic, and this is way out of my league XD
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby Overkillius » 06 Jul 2011 10:04

Very nice. Need's more four part progression.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Senator Myth » 06 Jul 2011 10:37

@ArtAttack Thanks! I was actually kinda worried that the cymbal crashes would be overwhelming, but I figured it would be better to be OVERwhelming than underwhelming. I'm glad it came out okay.

Overkillius wrote:Very nice. Need's more four part progression.

lolwut?
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby Overkillius » 06 Jul 2011 11:58

Senator Myth wrote:
Overkillius wrote:Very nice. Need's more four part progression.

lolwut?

By that I meant I thought it needed some SATB going, but I listened to it again and now I think it is better with just a strong theme and implied harmonies. Which is what it has already.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Postby Stars In Autumn » 06 Jul 2011 19:14

I like it a lot! The piano sounds really nice. I do think it might have too many crashes at the end, maybe removing every other crash to put more of an emphasis on certain notes.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 06 Jul 2011 22:57

I watched this literally 5 minutes after it came out on youtube, but forgot to comment!
Very good, fits Celestia's regal appearance quite well!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Makkon » 10 Jul 2011 19:19

That....

was awesome.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Artemus » 10 Jul 2011 19:48

This was a much enjoyable experience. I'll even set aside my immense hate for brass and non-string instruments (keyboards exempt)

Very much a good symphonic rockestra you got going. My only real issue is that the Organ parts seemed a bit too synthesized. In my experience with Organ, short notes aren't entirely appropriate. So if there was a way you could make it smoother, the song would be nigh perfect.

This certainly fits Celestia's regality and supports the ideas you have tried to keep. I guess though, I was hoping for kind of a small string section alongside the piano, in addition to the idea that the one that came in would last longer.

Otherwise, EXCELLENT!
~"This piece, needs more Piano. Like two cubic tons of Piano, in a small pile just over there."~

Artemus

Postby Senator Myth » 10 Jul 2011 22:30

First of all, thank you very much for your comment. It always makes me really pleased when you classically-trained people praise my work. But, I wanted to address this.

Artemus wrote:My only real issue is that the Organ parts seemed a bit too synthesized. In my experience with Organ, short notes aren't entirely appropriate. So if there was a way you could make it smoother, the song would be nigh perfect.

This sort of confuses me. It sounded to me like there were grace notes (so to speak) in the original composition. Although I didn't really transcribe them too accurately. I was just pleased to get most of the right chords, such as they were, down. I added those grace notes for texture, to make it sound more natural, so it's a bit disconcerting that it would have the opposite effect. =\

And also, stuff like Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (the most famous organ work of all) are chock full of short and quick notes. So what you're saying just isn't in keeping with my understanding of things. I'm not saying you're wrong, as you're probably right. But could you please explain?
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby Overkillius » 11 Jul 2011 02:11

Senator Myth wrote:
Artemus wrote:Yabba dabba do

This sort of confuses me. But could you please explain?

I obviously don't speak for Artemus, but all I see him say is "I think you should do what I do. I like doing what I do!" That's perfectly fine and I like doing what I do as well, but I think that there is a confusion that music is up to interpretation for the most part. Why does atonal music exist? maybe there is a letter to Celestia in this. (I NEED TO START A LETTER TO CELESTIA THREAD)
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 11 Jul 2011 02:23

Overkillius wrote:Why does atonal music exist? maybe there is a letter to Celestia in this.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learnt about atonal music. It was the result of an epiphany I had when I realised that the birds singing outside my window were singing the most beautiful tune. And yet, it did not fit into the teachings of tonal music. I found out that atonality is the result of man's pony's desire to explore the unknown and reach new heights. Of course, it is a little offputting to begin with, but when you get used to it, there are countless soundworlds to discover!
Oh and atonality is magic, therefore, it is friendship.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Overkillius » 11 Jul 2011 02:29

Dr_Dissonance wrote:
Overkillius wrote:Why does atonal music exist? maybe there is a letter to Celestia in this.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learnt about atonal music. It was the result of an epiphany I had when I realised that the birds singing outside my window were singing the most beautiful tune. And yet, it did not fit into the teachings of tonal music. I found out that atonality is the result of man's pony's desire to explore the unknown and reach new heights. Of course, it is a little offputting to begin with, but when you get used to it, there are countless soundworlds to discover!
Oh and atonality is magic, therefore, it is friendship.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle

My current problem is that atonal music seems like it relies on context, and sometimes the context isn't always there.

Maybe atonal music truly creates the context that it appears to rely on and I can't see it over half the time?

also you missed the thread.
http://www.mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=146
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 11 Jul 2011 02:49

Overkillius wrote:My current problem is that atonal music seems like it relies on context, and sometimes the context isn't always there.

Maybe atonal music truly creates the context that it appears to rely on and I can't see it over half the time?

also you missed the thread.
http://www.mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=146

It entirely depends on what piece we're talking about when it comes to context...there are a lot of serialist pieces that don't have one and are purely academic based...those are the ones which are better to listen to once you've gone through the barrier that atonality creates...

But there are countless atonal pieces that have plenty of context! Some are more to do with you creating the context...it's best just to listen and see, but y'know, it's not for everyone!
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Overkillius » 12 Jul 2011 23:55

Dr_Dissonance wrote:it's not for everyone!

I definitely think that is true and it really seems like an acquired taste kind of thing. My introduction to atonal music was this one piece... I forgot who wrote it *checks notes from highschool music theory composer presentation (I did mozart :D)*

I still don't remember who it was, but Holst had a messed up life. I just remember that everyone said it was "fresh" (in our class that is how you said something was bad... it was based on a paragraph in our textbook explaining the circle of fifths and giving a fresh (bad) example of a progression)

It just seems that atonal music has so much stuff done deliberately... there is no way it is as universally wrong as I would otherwise suspect, the logic doesn't add up. For now, I sort of listen to a little atonal music and try to grasp everything that is going on, and sometimes it just brings an experience to my ears, some times it makes me cringe repeatedly... is it supposed to do that or something?

Also on my quest for the appreciation of atonal music, I must ask my friend with perfect pitch what she thinks about certain songs (she has perfect pitch and her parents are disappointed with her... GOD DAMN ASIANS!). Why? because I've found she has a very unique view on performance of music and listening to music compared to anyone I have ever met. Also because it is a better question than me saying "What pitch is this *sings a really high note in falsetto*... I need to know, my ears are ringing this pitch!" It turns out that it was a C and apparently the notes that she hears when her ears ring is normally an A.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 13 Jul 2011 00:23

Overkillius wrote:Words!

Yes, well, there is an entire spectrum of tonalities and I'm guessing the atonal you're referring to is on the extreme end of the spectrum. It's good to at least listen to that, because it helps in your appreciation/interpretation of the lesser atonal stuff. For example, Zwilich's Symphony no.1 (I can't find it online, sorry, but it's the main piece that comes to mind!) is about as atonal as you can get, without being atonal! It makes sense if you hear it...:P

Whereas, on the other hand, this piece below isn't exactly tonal, but it's not atonal either, right? Just find the part of the spectrum that you like best!

P.S. Sorry Senator Myth for randomly hijacking this, I'll stop now...:P
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice