"I will Rise" Trixie's Revenge theme

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

"I will Rise" Trixie's Revenge theme

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 04 Jul 2011 21:47

Hiya! this isn't a remix but an original piece that was done for the remix war challenge.

I tried to go for a Hanz Zimmer "big sound" effect with some Rock band in there. More along the lines of "epic" trailer music.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Re: "I will Rise" Trixie's Revenge theme

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 04 Jul 2011 22:13

I really liked the opening, when the double basses came in about 10 seconds in!
Sounded very epic overall, good work!
Just one question:
Which language are we meant to follow with the choir?
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 05 Jul 2011 03:46

Dr_Dissonance wrote:I really liked the opening, when the double basses came in about 10 seconds in!
Sounded very epic overall, good work!
Just one question:
Which language are we meant to follow with the choir?

hey there! Thanks for that, the choir and the soprano sing in German but the English is just there to let you know what they're saying. I also put it there so people could feel the epicness and be motivated to comment xP.
Btw, at about 10 seconds in it's the basses, celli, violas, and second violins playing. I saved first for that little "rise" before the guitars came in. I guess you can't tell because the reverb is kind muddling it all together.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 05 Jul 2011 07:33

Bagpipe Brony wrote:Btw, at about 10 seconds in it's the basses, celli, violas, and second violins playing. I saved first for that little "rise" before the guitars came in. I guess you can't tell because the reverb is kind muddling it all together.

Yeah, it took me a few listens, but I hear it now! :D
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 05 Jul 2011 10:31

Cool ^^
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Overkillius » 05 Jul 2011 12:44

Awesome. This makes me even more excited to start learning more about theory and composition in college my first year! :D (actually I think the first semester will just be mostly a repeat of my year of high school theory... but... whatev.) I'm glad there are awesome people in the pony community already writing the type of music I hope to eventually write. I'd like to hear an actual live version of this... Mostly to hear the words in the song.

I feel like I need to sing along, but while my counter-tenor voice is getting pretty good, my German diction is pretty rusty.

Do you have sheet music by any chance? :D I would LOVE to see it while I listen to this! :]
Last edited by Overkillius on 05 Jul 2011 12:58, edited 2 times in total.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Versilaryan » 05 Jul 2011 12:52

Sounded great! You certainly got that epic feel -- I loved it when the rock band came in! ^.^
Versilaryan

Postby Whitetail » 05 Jul 2011 12:56

I have to say the composition's pretty well done, but the mixing could use a little work

What plugin are you using for those chorus parts? They sound oddly smooth for a VST
The snare could use to be a little more prominent in the mix earlier in the song.

You do much with the EQ? It gets a little muddy later on when you've got tons of layers competing with each other (especially when you've got tons of choruses going at once), you should EQ some of the instruments out of each other's ranges a little so it doesn't seem so cluttered.

Also that guitar sound needs a lot of work, I find you often have to toy with virtual guitars to get them to sound about right, and quite often you have to do multiple instrument tracks for what would only take 1 guitarist to play (1 for sustained notes, 1 for muted notes, etc. etc.). Try using amp simulation to get a sound that's a little closer to an actual guitar, I've found it works best when you go with an undistorted guitar sound and distort it yourself, gives you a little more control over the sound. After that put an EQ over it to get the tone that you want, depending on the circumstances - something that works well is to raise the lower middle ranges of the sound, cut the slightly higher and then add a small spike in the highs (very narrow spike though, you're just trying to add a sort of "click" to the sound with this). Also something to try is to have 2 guitars to 1 guitar part, basically have 2 guitars playing the same thing - pan them to opposite sides (doesn't have to be completely to one or the other) and have slight differences in the guitar amps between the two, this is a technique used quite often when rock bands record actual guitars and it gives it a bit more power, thing is when recording a live guitar it's the slight differences between the two that gives it the feeling of "fullness" while still sounding like a single track but it can help with virtual guitar too.
Whitetail

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 05 Jul 2011 13:50

Overkillius wrote:Awesome. This makes me even more excited to start learning more about theory and composition in college my first year! :D (actually I think the first semester will just be mostly a repeat of my year of high school theory... but... whatev.) I'm glad there are awesome people in the pony community already writing the type of music I hope to eventually write. I'd like to hear an actual live version of this... Mostly to hear the words in the song.

I feel like I need to sing along, but while my counter-tenor voice is getting pretty good, my German diction is pretty rusty.

Do you have sheet music by any chance? :D I would LOVE to see it while I listen to this! :]

Well you could just rearrange the lyrics a little to work in English. I have a guitar pro file I could share, but the MIDI from FL Studio unfortunately only exports the tracks "pianofied". Which would reek hell with the percussion IMO. I'll try and post it on the sharing section for ya :)
And Derpy thanks for that, my music score and composition tutor already told me all of that though lol. Your're quite right, for the longest time I always wondered why my sound would get muddled but then he explained the magic that is a simple EQ. he song in particular could use a lot of "low end" removal especially in the guitar.
As for the guitars, I just work with what I have, but I will take the tips and put them to use the next time around. I thought of duplicating the track for the panning reason but I didn't know how much more my laptop could take. I think I'm going to get refx Slayer for better guitar sounds specifically for metal styles. (they still suck compared to the real deal though). Oh how I wish I had an external soundcard to plug my guitar into...life would be so much easier.
Thanks for your detailed critque, that's the only way artists learn. c:
Oh, and I was using a sounfont. It says "Kbh Real choir"
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Overkillius » 05 Jul 2011 13:56

I have gpro. (not exactly sure on the version as long as it isn't 6.0 or higher it should be fine) As long as I can look at something while listening. (besides the nice pictures)

So I would very much like to see it in Gpro as a matter of fact! :]
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Senator Myth » 05 Jul 2011 14:38

I know I said this in the thread over on the community board, but it bears repeating here: this song is amazing. You really nailed the "epic trailer music" idea here. Although there are a few issues with mixing and reverb and you and others in this thread already addressed, the composition itself is top-notch. Keep it up, brony.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice