Review the track(s) above you

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jun 2013 22:06

TheBronyChip wrote:then ignore it and move on

Except I wanted feedback on my song and thus had to review some other tracks, so I chose the two most recent posts. Y'know, like you're supposed to do.
Nine Volt

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jun 2013 22:10

You posted this in the "Review the track(s) above you" thread. Which, in case you haven't noticed, is for feedback, not "yeah this is alright" shit. I'm not waiting for another person to post a fucking song just because you don't like the feedback I gave you.
Nine Volt

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jun 2013 22:13

TheBronyChip wrote:sorry my bad

Fuck you

Maturity at its finest right here, folks.
Last edited by Nine Volt on 20 Jun 2013 22:15, edited 2 times in total.
Nine Volt

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jun 2013 22:17

TheBronyChip wrote:because your parent let you swear

p.s. i hate all your fucking feedback its all just stupid redundant shit that the artist almost already knew

I'm honestly quite disappointed in you, Chip. Not mad, mind you. But I try to help you and all you do is insult me because it wasn't exactly the type of thing you were looking for? Pathetic.

I really don't understand what all the hostility is for. I'm legitimately trying to help you out here. But fine, if you don't want my help then I guess I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise. Don't expect any help in the future. Not that I imagine you care.
Nine Volt

Postby v.lossity » 20 Jun 2013 22:19

thebronychip wrote:
v.lossity wrote:Hating on people who try to help you out, even if it isn't exactly the help you want, is a great way to make it so noone wants to help you.

good

i asked for a simple yay or nay and this shit happens

Here is the thing. You are asking for someone to take the time out of their day to do a specific thing to help you. Someone does decide to help you, but doesnt do it the exact way you want. Instead of thanking them, and then perhaps clarifying what specifically you need, you are complaining about it. Noone here owes you anything. We all help because we like (most of) the people here, and we want to see them do better. This is CHARITY, and yet you feel the entitlement to bitch and moan that someone didnt help you out in the way that you needed. Then you waste your time, my time, and Nine Volts time by complaining, when in ONE POST you could have easily clarified what you really needed and then gotten a response. Instead, you have instigated a big argument and you STILL havent gotten the feedback you really wanted.

One post. It really isn't that hard. Politely ask for what you needed. Thats all you had to do. I guess you really just wanted to argue and waste people's time. Well, I dont have time for this. I was going to review your track, but now I don't want to and I dont have time for this discussion anymore. Good luck.
v.lossity

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jun 2013 22:26

TheBronyChip wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:I really don't understand what all the hostility is for.

live my life and you tell me

Chip, take a step back and think about what you're doing. You're getting angry with, insulting, and bitching at someone on the internet who is literally only trying to help you out. No hostile intent at all. And then you even have the audacity to try and create an excuse for why you've been, to put it bluntly, a dick to someone who is taking time out of their day to try and help you improve on your music. Yes, I'm sure your life is so absolutely terrible that you just have to take it out on someone who wants to help you. That is clearly the appropriate response to charity.
Nine Volt

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jun 2013 22:37

What the hell are you talking about? How does that have any relevance to what we were arguing about?

Whatever; I'm trying to help you out, but in turn I wanted feedback on one of my own songs, from anyone. Is that too much to ask? Am I prohibited from gaining anything from this thread? Again, I'm not going to wait for who knows how long until someone posts another song up here, because I want feedback as well. I don't owe you anything. I chose to help out of the kindness of my heart, but I can see that you weren't looking for help, because my feedback is apparently
TheBronyChip wrote:all just stupid redundant shit that the artist almost already knew

Which aside from being unnecessarily rude is also improperly worded and incorrect. And apparently you don't know how to use the punctuation keys or the shift key on your keyboard.

But regardless, this also shows that you are clearly a musical god, far above any of us in musical talent and skill. I'm terribly sorry to have wasted your time.
Nine Volt

Postby Facade » 21 Jun 2013 20:36

seriously you two you piss me off more then anything fighting like that this is a place for people to help better other people and you are just clogging it up with your faggotry and fighting. ive been lurking since i left and good thing i did so i could stop you right here and say this

for the love of god stop fighting and be friends again i went through the same thing and i cant let it happen to you two or anyone else for that matter.

tl:dr kiss and make up
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Nine Volt » 21 Jun 2013 21:44

Facade wrote:seriously you two you piss me off more then anything fighting like that this is a place for people to help better other people and you are just clogging it up with your faggotry and fighting. ive been lurking since i left and good thing i did so i could stop you right here and say this

for the love of god stop fighting and be friends again i went through the same thing and i cant let it happen to you two or anyone else for that matter.

tl:dr kiss and make up

Yes, good thing you were lurking so you could stop something that was already over. *claps*
(for the record though I appreciate your care)

@eery's feedback
Really? It's true I may have boosted the kick in the wrong place (around 110 if I recall?), as I don't often do that kind of processing. I don't know what you mean about ghosts 'n' stuff though (the part with the violin arp?). But yeah, I guess I can agree with what you said. I was going to have more of the intro part in between drops, but I couldn't really make it work (though honestly I didn't try very hard).
Nine Volt

Postby Nine Volt » 21 Jun 2013 22:17

Really? I always heard that the punch was usually between 80-120hz...
Nine Volt

Postby Mr.Afrox » 22 Jun 2013 18:08

Freewave wrote:Yay a track to review!! Just a heads up i can't view ANY soundcloud embeds from work (where i am during back half of the week) so VERY glad you did a youtube.

Well I really like the album art with the concept (wish there were a few more pieces). It does feel like an odd crossover but i can see the thought process and it is as a little unique. Would EQD give this a greenlight as is AS pony track? they might not as its out of the box conceptual-wise .... Musically it's an odd track; i LOVE the hardcore breakbeats that phase in (2:34 OMIGOSH) :D and those flute-ish synths, and those deep old skool basslines. Musically it doesn't fit any real genre standard classification which could freak some people out (although i think it does have an old school hardcore / rave feel that i think we need more of).

The pinkie samples seem sort of half-hearted tbh. They aren't bad but they're so sporadic they just some tossed in. Would have loved it if they could been timed a little better, consistent, and selected more appropriately. Wouldn't mind a few more layers or samples tossed in for variety but i think this still is an overall good track with a unique sound AND idea. I wouldn't feel bad if this didnt make EQD because i don't think you made this track for them in mind (although i think this COULD have made a track of the day if you had entered it during their new criteria i think). They won't review it again if you ve already sent it so learn and move on to better future tracks as this is pretty cool. Course you could always do more work on it and VIP if you wanna make it 20% cooler and have it love up to it's potential. :D

I guess I'll post something from a few months back. A Balloon Party spoof / Afterparty entry. This was pretty rushed and i might go back and re-mix the levels to sharpen it up a bit as my vocals are too low and the overall volume is as well. Then again it's kind of intended to abrasive and rough. Very glad with how the glitching on ATR's guitar went tho. Every thing about the Balloon After Party met a lot of apathy so i never really got to spotlight or get feedback for this track to the level i hoped it would get but otherwise like how it worked. I kinda half assed the video (should do a full pmv or keep with only a few images) ;)

this was badass,love you freewave
Mr.Afrox

Primary: FL STUDIO 11.04
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby LFP » 03 Jul 2013 17:12

@nurwai
Oh cool, I must admit breakcore isn't my thing so critique on structure might be lacking etc ^^
We begin with a nice intro coupled with nice pads not soon after I hit play some nice euphoric vocals comes in perhaps a bit too soon, would be cool if you had a little section where the pads are in focus. Some nice perc comes in before the first chorus, this is cool, however that synth gets boring very fast in my opinion, would be nice with some switch ups!
The second chorus also pretty much has a that single main synth in it, but I feel like the plucked synth suits really well into the rest of the track which makes up for it.

also I always hate when someone cuts the ending like that, let it breathe out!

@9V
That kick feels like abruptly ending or something, not sure and the snare feels like it has way to much wood too it, I'd also like a clap snare a lot more but that mightl just be my opinion :p
Some nice pads come in, definitely like the profession and that arp feels like it fits in really well.
Breakdown with some nice plucks I was about to comment on some lack of high end but then that nice (guitar'ish) high pluck comes in and it suits really well!
Not sure if I like the buildup, those doubble drums feels a bit of.
Feels like the bass in the drop is behind the track a bit too much, needs to be brought up imo all the perc overpower it so the drop feels a bit lacking in that regard, some more distortion would be cool too ^^
2nd chorus pretty much has the same problem but the introduction of that 8bit(?)'ish synth quickly fixes that, suits really well into the track imo and that melody(Yush)!
But that bass could still be more powerful especially in the more high register!
The outro feels a bit sudden and boring, could be a lot longer or at least had a more down progressing style to it.
Overall the composition is really good and mixing too (aside from the select few mentioned above)

Looks like I'll be posting my track tomorrow as I'm dead tired and too impatient to sit up and wait for it to upload ._.
See in a couple hours I guess..
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby LFP » 05 Jul 2013 06:34

Almost forgot bout it =/
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/953 ... 0rough.mp3
Vocal mixing and mastering hooray! ^^
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby vladnuke » 07 Jul 2013 22:16

ok lfp you win

everything sounds professional and nice

there's literally no feedback i could give that would improve it

good job A plus

eery:

Yeah pretty good, long ass intro but that's coo, it sort of works. everything sounds hot and fresh.

nothing really out of place here

https://soundcloud.com/vladnuke/on

made some stuff yeah
vladnuke

Postby Facade » 08 Jul 2013 05:43

@ vlad

the intro arps have a little too much on the high end i feel

theres just a tad too much distortion on the track too kinda makes it feel lo-fi (maybe you where going for this?)

i like the composition though good job on it

woah random glitch attacked me out of nowhere but still awesome xD

all in all its pretty awesome only needing a little tweaking keep up the good work!

heres mine
https://soundcloud.com/facade-of-ages/grand-galloping-beat-wip
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Mesogears » 10 Jul 2013 16:24

@Facade

This sounds really good so far.

The only nitpick I could think of is that the kick becomes fairly drowned-out after the bass comes in at 0:28. This could be because of clashing frequencies, or maybe the bass is a bit loud (it's hard to tell at this point).

Here's mine; it's my second most recent upload, and I've been trying to get feedback on it for a while. There's definitely flaws in it that I can improve on in the future.
"Melodyne is the glue that holds our vocals together."
~vladnuke
https://soundcloud.com/mgmusic19/vision-of-before-featfritzybeat

For clarity's sake, Mesogears = The Lunar Conspiracy
Mesogears

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Drums

Postby Bare Back » 12 Jul 2013 09:10

@Mesogears

Very good, i Like it, the melodics at the start are really chilled out which is nice and theres a lot going on but it isn't over crowded. its cool that you took this approach with it as well cause the original is loud n in your face but this is more relaxed and suttle which is the sign of a good remix, changing the sound but still keeping the original elements in.

Got a few problems but no big'ys, the vocals (on occasion) sit too much in the background n its hard to hear it so try putting a compresser on that bad booy, The breakdown in the middle is too long and a lot could be cut from that bit and when the drums come in I get a very 80's vibe from it (especially when the vocals come in), its not a bad thing its just not my cup of tea, I was expecting it to go in the same kinda direction as some of "Direct's" (no pun intended) songs go in like "Communication" and "Delusion".

overall it was good, few problems here n there but no song is perfect.

Anyway here's a drumstep track I made, mastering was a bit rushed but I'd love to hear what you guys have to say aboot it, good or bad it all helps :D
I do the music n that
https://soundcloud.com/bare-back
Bare Back

Postby Thunder Dash » 12 Jul 2013 10:20

@ Bare Back

A very nice track you've got there. The piano entry was pretty good. However, at 0:20, I was expecting for it to become a little more intense, but you backed off and faded. Careful with those build-up fake outs, as people tend to assume that something big is coming. I really liked how you utilized your synths and used a 1-3 beat pattern. That was well done.

On the wubby part, I can't really understand what the voice was saying. Maybe reduce the volume of the bass wubs so that people could understand what the voice is saying.

Overall it was a really nice track!

@Mesogears

It is a really nice piece. The intro is quite long though. I liked how you slowly built up in the intro and brought the percussion in last, which is a highly favored technique by musicians.

The only thing that bugs me are the vocals. You put a little too much effects on them, which caused them to be sort of fogged up and not very understandable. Maybe turn down the effects that are running through the vocal line, especially the flanger/chorus like effect, which is the main contributor to the unclearness.

Overall, it was a well created remix

------------------------------

Here's a remix I did a while back. I posted it here but it didn't get any critiques, so I figured I'd post it here. It's a remix of Celestia's Ballad. It is only an instrumental, but it is still worth listening to.

Thunder Dash

Primary: Presonus Studio One 4 Artist
Cutie Mark: Piano

Postby simonli2575 » 16 Jul 2013 05:43

[I suck at reviewing, hopefully my review doesn't suck.]
Thunder Dash wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEXq3-9qazI

Nice use of instruments. The trumpet, drums and piano goes together to form a beautiful melody. Then comes the saws (I'm not sure if I'm using the term correctly), which are quite nice.
Though at the end, the song suddenly becomes loud. You could have turned the volume down a bit at that part, since this track isn't supposed to surprise people or anything like that, right?
The bottom line, it sounds like the instrumental extended edit of the original song, and it's great.

Here's a track I did a long time ago, I just want to know what I could have done back then.
https://soundcloud.com/simonli2575/winter
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby itroitnyah » 16 Jul 2013 10:47

@Facade

It sounds nice, but the kick and snare are hidden in the mix. Here's a little tip: Turn down the volume when listening to your song until you can barely hear it. The elements that you can hear the most are the "centers of attention", of sort. So if you want to layer multiple instruments, Mix them at a low volume, increasing the volume as you set the volumes of the instruments from the one you want most prominent to hidden.

@Mesogears

I like the composition, the biggest problem I can find comes from the mixing, in that the one sliding synth thing that starts at around 0:30 should be louder. It's there, but it doesn't have presence, and it sounds like you're trying to make it the main element of the song underneath the vocals. You still have room to increase the volume of that synth before you drown out the vocals. The song is also very long and drawn out. I would rate the vocals a 6/10, they sound like they could definitely use some work. Shame it's a remix, otherwise I'd recommend that you re-record them.

@Bare Back

The composition is good. Why is it that everybody is better at composition than me? Anyways, I don't see what your song has to do with rainy days. My biggest bone to pick is that the rainbow dash vocal samples don't really seem to fit into the song. It sounds like you placed them ontop and mixed them in, but they don't really feel "in place". I also feel that the pluck that starts around 0:22 has a bit too much detune on it for my taste, but it still sounds pretty good.

@Thunder Dash

Um, the mixing is only halfway decent, the chord melody seems to drown out the melodic instrument that sorta sounds like a trumpet or something, which is barely audible. The composition is decent, although there's some dissonance in some places. The song is very basic and simple, it's overall ok, probably a 6/10. Also the title lul.

@simonli

This is a very basic composition you have here, the main 4-second phrase thing you have going is repetitive and bores the listener. The bass thing at 1:39 doesn't carry any weight to it, leaving the song feeling empty and boring. The second element added in a bit later is unique and adds onto the song some more. At 2.47, the usual 4-second phrase changes up a bit, but not really enough. It sounds pretty decent though. You use a ton of HP filters for transitions. It'd be helpful to use more than one transition. The ending part where the bass adds in again is a repeat of the previous part, with what sounds like more bitcrush on the bass synth. The song is repetitive and doesn't change much, makes it a bit boring to listen to. The snare is lacking lowend too.

Ok, now here's mine. Critique it as best as you all can, I'm really feeling like the composition on the drops isn't 100% the best. Just say anything that you all feel is off or I need to work on. Also feel free to suggest titles.

EDIT added in the critique for simonli's piece. I would appreciate it if I could get some on mine now, lol.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Postby Bare Back » 18 Jul 2013 18:22

@ itroitnyah
Thanks mate, Its called rainy day just cause rainbow dash says "i'm bored" (I'm not the best at naming tracks) and yeh listening back the vocals were a bit forced but i made it for rainbow n rooted so i thought a bit of rainbow dash was needed. BTW I just follow a simple composition for my music, we got taught it at college, its called DJ friendly, give it a look mate :D

@ Thunder Dash
I agree with itroitnyah a bit, Its cool that you added a bit more then what the original gave and the structure is very good but i think that my major problem is the sound design aspect, just need better samples really, it sounds like music from katawa shoujo, not bad it just needs either a band to play it or better samples... nothing you could of done really, unless you happen to be pals with an orchestra or had about £300 to buy samples with, so overall it was pretty dang good
I do the music n that
https://soundcloud.com/bare-back
Bare Back

Postby itroitnyah » 18 Jul 2013 22:35

Bare Back wrote:@ itroitnyah
Thanks mate, Its called rainy day just cause rainbow dash says "i'm bored" (I'm not the best at naming tracks) and yeh listening back the vocals were a bit forced but i made it for rainbow n rooted so i thought a bit of rainbow dash was needed. BTW I just follow a simple composition for my music, we got taught it at college, its called DJ friendly, give it a look mate :D

Alright, well, don't force vocals, haha. That can turn a good song into a bad one. Also, another little thing I noticed about the song, is that you... just... sorta, set a drop down. You didn't really put the emotions into it, I guess. It sorta feels like you created a great sounding and beautiful melody and then switched out of it to "drop dat dirty phat bass". Usually you shouldn't try to stray from the main theme of the song. Sorta like when acting a part in a play, say as Romeo in Romeo and Juliet you can't just turn around and start telling jokes in the middle of your act. SirensCeol is a good example of staying in the mood throughout the entire song, and this is my favorite example by him, although he has many songs that all stay in character throughout the song, it never sounds like he's just trying to "drop dat dirty phat bass". Although there are a ton of artists out there who can efficiently keep character in their music.

I'll have to take a look at "dj friendly" composition though, never heard of it. I also can't find anything about it online.

Also, can somebody seriously critique my WIP? I'm really trying to get some critique on it before I decide to master it and put it in the bin for my in progress EP
itroitnyah

Postby Wisp » 19 Jul 2013 08:26

@itroitnyah (reviewing your WIP)
-I feel like the beginning lacks in the low end in many parts. It seems like some heavier bass would go really good with it. Just an opinion. Very nice intro besides that, though.
-The sounds used in the drop are really good and well done. The drums are also good.
-Seems like the transition to the next part after the drop is kind of abrupt and could be done better.
-The ending is good but it also felt kind of abrupt. Almost seemed like it wasn't actually the ending and was leading to a different part of the song instead of ending it.
-Other than that, I can't really find much wrong with this track. It sounds really good and I think it's almost done :D

Now, could someone please give me some feedback on this:
https://soundcloud.com/wispx/wisp-ryse-the-rush-wip
Wisp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: House, chill, dnb

Postby itroitnyah » 19 Jul 2013 09:11

Thanks, Wisp. Your track is well done, my biggest problem with it is that the bass at like 0.47 or something sticks out like a sore thumb, it just needs to be mixed in a bit better.
itroitnyah

Postby Wisp » 19 Jul 2013 09:58

itroitnyah wrote:Thanks, Wisp. Your track is well done, my biggest problem with it is that the bass at like 0.47 or something sticks out like a sore thumb, it just needs to be mixed in a bit better.

Yeah, I think the volume levels of each sound need to be more constant in the drop. I'll fix that up before I release it.
Wisp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: House, chill, dnb

PreviousNext

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice