Review the track(s) above you

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Injustrial » 01 Feb 2014 12:21

JacksonMiller wrote:@Injustrial Ovbiously this is really fantastic, nothing bad to say bout this one, apart that you should really not have such annoying robot vocals, unless of course you think it's crazy and cool, for me, they're just annoying. also is that Bon-Lyra as a robot in the video? I have no idea. I do love some good Electro Industrial Rock Hardcore type-stuff!

The robo voice was a choice I did for this song, but don't intend to use it a lot later. Synthetic Vocoder voice fit the thematic nicely.

Oh, and that's Sweetie Bot. Song is about her ;)
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby TheSkullX2 » 02 Feb 2014 05:47

@JacksonMiller
This is good but wubs are way to present in the tack.You could moderate them & add some other musical elements.

Besides that,it's still good.

Here is one of my tracks.It's not big deal but still.

https://soundcloud.com/theskullx2/this-world
TheSkullX2

Primary: Fl Studio 11
Cutie Mark: A burning conduct baton

Postby Dr. Plague » 05 Feb 2014 22:43

TheSkullX2 wrote:https://soundcloud.com/theskullx2/this-world

Sweet, I come back after a while, and there's more heavy rock stuff. :D

First thing I noticed was your hihats. They could use some work. I don't know if you have them sidechained, but they sound like it, and it really takes away from the metalesque sound of your track. Also try having more than just that one constantly going. Rock and metal rarely stick to ONE hihat.

I want to comment on the abrupt transitions between the breakdown riff and the uplifting symphonic part (at 1:13, for example), but I'm assuming that if the track had lyrics and a vocalist, it wouldn't feel as abrupt.

Ahh, that's a nice keyboard solo at 2:40.

I hate to be the one to point it out, but the waveform for the end of your track resembles, well...

JacksonMiller wrote:https://soundcloud.com/jacksonmiller/iblis-wip

Since it's still just a WIP, I won't comment on how empty the track feels (except the way I just did, oops). Your Reese is pretty good, but that unfortunately doesn't quite cut it. Kind of a copout suggestion, but try doing crazier things with it. A lot of neuro producers out there do some insane resampling, so the bar is set decently high. Having said that, this is by no means a purely generic track. Definitely interested in seeing where you go with this.

Injustrial wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lUo4CmhfAeI

I've always been interested in getting into this kind of industrial stuff, but for some reason I've also not really been interested. The idea of having harsh vocals in electronic is cool, but artificially making them harsh (or making them sound more harsh, if you actually did growls) just doesn't sit right with a metalhead. That's the only issue I have with this, and that's not even specific to your song, so I guess that doesn't count.

Overall, pretty catchy. You nailed that hook for me.

---

After a few WIPs here and there that didn't hook me, I finally started and finished(-ish) a track I'm enjoying.

https://soundcloud.com/dr_plague/jaou-shingan

On a side note, for those that enjoy anime and haven't watched Chuu-2, you're really missing out. That is all.
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
Dr. Plague

Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Postby Injustrial » 06 Feb 2014 13:49

Dr. Plague wrote:
Injustrial wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lUo4CmhfAeI

I've always been interested in getting into this kind of industrial stuff, but for some reason I've also not really been interested. The idea of having harsh vocals in electronic is cool, but artificially making them harsh (or making them sound more harsh, if you actually did growls) just doesn't sit right with a metalhead. That's the only issue I have with this, and that's not even specific to your song, so I guess that doesn't count.

I guess it's a shift in ideologies. Aggrotech, Industrial and EBM revel in the synthetic feel, trying to make their songs feel clearly synthesized instead of emulating real instruments. Same goes for the vocals, which are quite processed. You see a lot of it in the song themes, as well: Being close to non-human, lack of emotions, dystopian cyberpunk. I used to feel the same way as you, back in the days, but opened up a lot more the dark electro scene after a while and now I'm completely obsessed by it ;)
Injustrial

Postby UnPause » 12 Feb 2014 04:59

A nice little song about Rarity incoming:
https://soundcloud.com/unpause/the-generous-pony

[Instrumental, Alternative]
Last edited by UnPause on 12 Feb 2014 05:19, edited 1 time in total.
UnPause

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Glitchhog » 16 Feb 2014 03:06

UnPause wrote:A nice little song about Rarity incoming:
https://soundcloud.com/unpause/the-generous-pony

[Instrumental, Alternative]

Not sure if it's just me being unfamiliar with this kind of music, but the whole thing just kinda felt... empty, I guess? The mix had some rough sidechaining on it too (or what I assume was sidechaining) and the piano melody was really quite jarring. Just my two cents, apologies if I've missed the mark with my critique. Just my first impressions.

Anyway, I figured I'd post this here anyway. I HAAAAAAAAAAAATE this, but so many people told me to upload it because it was apparently good. I'm aware remixes aren't my thang, yo. Took about a week. Less effort put in than usual. I'm going to stop putting it down now. You might enjoy it.

Australian-based Electrohouse producer. Check out my YouTube or SoundCloud for music, or help me out by donating.
Glitchhog

Cutie Mark: Electrohouse

Postby Dr. Plague » 20 Feb 2014 03:15

I guess I'll be the one who has to look kind of like a dick and point out that UnPause reviewed no tracks whatsoever.
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby LFP » 20 Feb 2014 05:27

Dr. Plague wrote:I guess I'll be the one who has to look kind of like a dick and point out that UnPause reviewed no tracks whatsoever.

Nah, it's for the greater good so don't feel about about being picky, this is a give and receive thread so people shouldn't come in here expecting to receive when not giving ^^

People should really try to review at least two tracks as it's much nicer to get feedback from two different people with perhaps two different opinions, it also reduces the chances of getting skipped, which has happened... And that's not fun.
Also try not to rate tracks as it can be extremely demoralizing, try to instead point out what's wrong and could be improved, of course while still mentioning something positive about the track so people don't feel bad and just give up on it!
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby MilesTiden » 23 Feb 2014 22:15

eery wrote:Ive been watching haibane renmei lately, its really nice, im only a few episodes in. I made this wip thing and felt like it reflected the show pretty neatly.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/765 ... aibane.mp3

I like this a lot! The sound design is nice, although a few things seemed a bit off. The saw-like synth around 0:30 (and through the rest of the piece) could do with a bit less of an edge. As it is, it sort of veers into 'uncomfortable to listen to' territory, which contrasts sort of unpleasantly with the rest of the song. Around the middle it also feels a bit flat. The drums sort of feel like they're part of a separate song. But all around, very nice! Also, I'm very unfamiliar with this type of music, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Anyways, I made some sort of... industrial soundtrack-y thing. If anyone could put a more accurate label that would be lovely. The first thing I would like to note is that this (like all my music) was made on my iPhone. Basically, any sort of sound design and mixing stuff is unreliable at best. So this sounds pretty sketchy still. Secondly, it's intended to sound sort of cluttered and wonky. I dunno. It just is. Thirdly, this is a complete deviation from my normal style. Typically, I make orchestral music. So don't expect anything especially coherent

http://www.soundcloud.com/milestiden/terraformation
MilesTiden

Primary: Not really
Cutie Mark: Nope

Postby TheSkullX2 » 28 Feb 2014 18:28

@MilesTiden:I'm not a huge fan of industrial stuff but this was a pretty good one so far.

Only one problem;the track is made up only with basses & hits.If you'd add some melody structure,it will give much depth to your song.

Yeah!As you can see,i'm back.With a new song.

https://soundcloud.com/theskullx2/as-i-will-live

I put all of my musical strength on this track...with some electronical stuff for you.
Prepare for groove!
TheSkullX2

Primary: Fl Studio 11
Cutie Mark: A burning conduct baton

Postby Injustrial » 28 Feb 2014 19:26

MilesTiden wrote:Anyways, I made some sort of... industrial soundtrack-y thing. If anyone could put a more accurate label that would be lovely. The first thing I would like to note is that this (like all my music) was made on my iPhone. Basically, any sort of sound design and mixing stuff is unreliable at best. So this sounds pretty sketchy still. Secondly, it's intended to sound sort of cluttered and wonky. I dunno. It just is. Thirdly, this is a complete deviation from my normal style. Typically, I make orchestral music. So don't expect anything especially coherent

http://www.soundcloud.com/milestiden/terraformation

This I find interesting, for obvious reasons. I like the mechanical sounds and the digital stabs that cut through all the distortion. I'm getting Frontline Assembly vibes, and think about video game music. Some sort of spectacle fighter or Quake'ish in nature, again returning to the Frontline Assembly feeling.

What I would personally say is missing, is some sort of coherency. Right now it feels a bit chaotic and thrown together, without the whole sense of direction seen in most works of this type. But you've nailed the gritty and synthetic nature of Electro-Industrial pretty well, I'd say. If this is the kind of stuff you're able to do on an iPhone, I'd be very interested to hear what you can do given a full DAW and more time.
Injustrial

Postby Injustrial » 28 Feb 2014 19:29

TheSkullX2 wrote: https://soundcloud.com/theskullx2/as-i-will-live

I put all of my musical strength on this track...with some electronical stuff for you.
Prepare for groove!

Now this is my jam! You've gone full on Industrial Metal here, with some very nice and heavy riffs and a very catchy beat. I enjoy the gritty sounding snares and the orchestral parts. So much so, that I would love to have more of it. I think it would serve you well as a chorus section and would be the perfect place to put some contrasting vocals (If there were any)

Your kicks might be a bit too low and the guitar doesn't sound quiiiiite heavy enough for my personal tastes, but I'm liking this a lot nevertheless.

Come to think of it, if you'd be wanting some harsh vocals on this, pop me a PM. I'd love to try writing something for this!
Injustrial

Postby Dr. Plague » 01 Mar 2014 11:29

Dr. Plague wrote:After a few WIPs here and there that didn't hook me, I finally started and finished(-ish) a track I'm enjoying.

On a side note, for those that enjoy anime and haven't watched Chuu-2, you're really missing out. That is all.

I know my stuff isn't particularly good yet, but I still do always appreciate the feedback I get from here. It helps me figure out what I'm doing right and wrong and move toward being better. so plz don't skip
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby Injustrial » 01 Mar 2014 11:38

Dr. Plague wrote:After a few WIPs here and there that didn't hook me, I finally started and finished(-ish) a track I'm enjoying.

The intro really got me into this. Those trancy stabs and the insanely groovy bassline are highly relevant to my interests. I like the uplifting and happy nature of this song, as if there's a big party coming up and everyone's invited.

I can't really hear anything wrong with the mix and master, those parts seem well done. Not overly compressed, nothing stands out as too loud or too low to me. Great job there! I even think you have room to press it a bit further, using a soft clipper or something similar. There's enough dynamics here, that I think you could raise the volume by ~1 db without losing anything noticeable.

What I may want to nitpick at would be the composition itself. I sometimes feel that the song is a bit too repetitive for my tastes. Especially the stabby leads feel a little overdone, and could perhaps have benefited from an extra layer, or a changeup here and there. That's just minor criticism, though and completely subjective.

All in all, I think you've got something really cool here. It's got atmosphere, energy and simply oozes charm. Thumbs up in my book!
Injustrial

Postby Stakeout Punch » 03 Mar 2014 23:27

Reviewing all tracks on this page GO

@jökull - Andstæða
Cool FX/atmo in the intro, the transition at 0.36 is interesting and kinda empty. Very neat drum beat. You say problems with it being repetitive and I can see that. Just add a little variation in the drums and the rhythm of the other instruments. It doesn't have to be anything major, in fact I think subtle things would work better for this track. Things like adding another hat hit here and there, changing the rhythm of the pad one phrase, or possibly changing the final chord of the phrase once or twice. As for the track being empty, adding a quiet arp to compliment the pads would work wonders, I think. It would also be an easy way to make the song feel less repetitive as long as you don't use the same scales/patterns for the arp the whole song.

@Facade - Downthestreetwip2
The beginning is just a kick repeating over and over until the bass fades in at 0.07, maybe spice that up with more percussion? The fill at 0.40 is just a tad quiet, and as for the drop it does sound a little dissonant, but I think it works for the song's theme. As for the lead itself, its harmonics do sound a little too dissonant in a couple of spots. Overall the song sounds fun and dancy, but could use a little more sound design put into it, like more complex percussion, looking into that harmonic, etc.

@JacksonMiller - Rain Remix
Cool intro, but call me crazy I think I might recognize a few samples :P 1.39 really peaking sounds, could use more leveling, I would not recommend more compression. Overall it reminds me too much of every other big room track I've heard, one melodic line reminded me of Animals, the pryda snare everywhere... The track is solid, but not necessarily original sounding

@itroitnyah - No name?
Nice intro sweep. The intro synths sound really harsh right off the bat, but a proper mix would probably fix that. The transition into the second part is really.... boring? basic? Almost sounds like a different song. It also gets really repetitive, as the main synth repeats almost exactly until the section ends. Transition 2 needs a little more than a riser sweep to be interesting. Overall you've got some really cool sounding things going on but the structure is killing me with the near silent transitions that also have nothing going on in them.

@Injustrial - Electronic Devastation
Cool intro, build is great. You really nailed the name so far. The first laser sounds seem just a little loud. I mean like just the smallest bit too loud. Very neat vocals. I'm not sure if these are just verses or the chorus/drop of the song. I'm going to guess versus since they have breaks in between. Dalek samples ahah. Great song, but it doesn't feel like it's building to a final climax of the song, just staying at the same levels the whole time. That last hit caught me off guard lol, made me jump!

@TheSkullX2 - This World
These vocals in the intro! The strings are a bit too quiet, scratch that the whole song is quiet. Sounds almost like super heavy compression/limiting. The song is cool and has a nice heavy feel in terms of composition but as I mentioned earlier that crushing limiter whatever is really squashing everything.

@Dr. Plague - 邪王真眼 〜Jaō Shingan〜
I just have to say you've come a very long way from when you first started posting in this thread! Interesting song. The only thing I really have that stuck out to me is how empty the intro feels because the abrupt cutoffs on your synths, but once 0.31 rolls around it sounds better from the voices (percussion, the lead) that are added in. Once all those things are going the abrupt-ness sounds a lot better. Nice bass slaps! I like the speedup headed into the DnB at 3.07 (DnB is best genre!), the only other thing I have is that the ending is very abrupt (shoot I really like that word today).

@Glitchhog - Pn3 remix horse song
Pretty cool. I considered remixing this song but decided to not bother with the pony music. Very clean. I don't have much to critique, the song has great design, has a good mix, what else is there to talk about :B. I must add that I like the addition of Smile towards the end!

@eery - haibane renmei thing
I really like the reversed stuff in the intro! If I were mixing the song I would have made the kick a little more prominent in the mix but that is just personal preference I guess. Enough to match the perceived loudness of the snare. Nice retrigger effects around 1m in! The song is very diverse, well put together, and is happy/whismical sounding! Would listen again for sure.

@MilesTiden - Terraformation
Very harsh sounds! Fits well with the industrial feel. Distortion is cool when it is actually part of a song and not an accident! Over all you've got cool beats and bass stuffs going on, but I echo SkullX2 in that you could use more prominent melodies in the song.

@TheSkullX2 - As I Will Live
Again, you've got most everything down but slamming stuff with a limiter. The track is quiet as a result of making everything fit, the weird sidechain effect from the hihats is them slipping through the limiter in more quiet parts of the song only to get clipped by louder things. Its a great song, but you could defiantly work on the mixing/mastering aspects more.

- - - - -
Okay here is my track. There are 2 things I want ya to know about this track: 1, it was made completely in LMMS, and 2, all the synths are LMMS's trusty 3OSC. The story on this song is that a newcomer to the LMMS community (of sorts) made a song with a REALLY simple supersaw made with 3OSC then proceeded to act like it was something special (a direct quote from him, "I know it's hard to believe but this supersaw here is a 3OSC patch I made, so here's a link to the PF of you don't believe me!"). Needless to say I wasn't too happy with that so I decided to create a song with 3OSC from scratch to point it out in a snarky fashion.

https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/rebellion

I guess now that the name is Rebellion (the name was originally 3OSC WOW) the song is an edgy song about people rebelling against things.
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
Stakeout Punch

Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Mar 2014 17:28

@Milestiden
First thing is either clipping or distortion. There is a ton of clipping or distortion. Too much for my taste, but others may like it. The track has a very catchy beat to it. Those are some pretty cool samples you're using as well. Everything seems to fit into the theme, so it's great. Some of the transitions are a little rough, but overall a pretty decent song.

@TheSkullX2
Not sure I would call that electronic, but OK, haha. You may have to correct me, since I'm not perfect pitch and I don't have very good relative pitch either, but it sounds like a lot of the song is based purely on just the chord that is playing on the leading instrument (in this case the guitar). The song itself is fairly repetitive, with seemingly just the same patterns over and over again, of course structuring them slightly different in between breaks and choruses. You may want to experiment with playing notes that aren't in the chord of the lead instrument, add in some emotion, tension and release into the song. Did I also mention that the song is really quiet? I had to turn up my speakers quite a bit to hear it. The song is pretty catchy though, good job.

@stakeout poni
Holy shit man, you're like a hole-in-the-wall under 40 followers soundcloud making music with a glitchy DAW that crashes on a constant basis and your song hit over 1k views. How? I'm pretty confused about this. Do you like... Promote yourself somehow? Just participate in remix contests? How did your track get that many plays and likes? All your tracks get a good amount of views for under 50 followers.

For the review, I like the composition. You're talented, man. Sound synthesis could use some work, but it's amazing with just using a 3xosc. Mixing is really well done too. High end seems to clash though. It may be because of the treble samples you use, or the highs are clashing (which I doubt). Structuring is really good, it makes the song very interesting to listen to and doesn't make it boring at all. How do you do it all with LMMS? How long have you actually been doing music? Not just digital, but in general.

----------------------------------------

Alright, every time I see that line ^ up there it makes me thing I've reached the signature of somebodies post, but I never have. Anyways, I have a song I would like critiqued. Keep in mind I haven't done any final mixing yet. I'll be doing that some time soon, but I wanted to get some opinions on it. I've tried a few things different with composition, but I promise that I'll start practicing different structures soon, haha.

Link
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Stakeout Punch » 04 Mar 2014 20:46

itroitnyah wrote:How? I'm pretty confused about this.

I don't do any promotion, I'm way too lazy. The secret is that this is a fresh account, my old one has like 170 followers (Search "Stakeout Poop," that is my original account). I also have quite a fanbase of die-hard LMMS fans that don't get how I use LMMS either. I've been using LMMS for about 3 years now so I'm pretty well versed with it and its quirks.

I'll edit and slap some feedback on your link you posted when i am at my desk, eta 30 minutes.
K go
Happy chords! Okay so the only thing I really think is hurting the song are the rather simple drum patterns. That and the obvious need for mixing. It also seems like the second drop is a copy paste of the first. Other than those small things, Nice!

Quoting my song because new page:
stakeout poni wrote:Okay here is my track. There are 2 things I want ya to know about this track: 1, it was made completely in LMMS, and 2, all the synths are LMMS's trusty 3OSC. The story on this song is that a newcomer to the LMMS community (of sorts) made a song with a REALLY simple supersaw made with 3OSC then proceeded to act like it was something special (a direct quote from him, "I know it's hard to believe but this supersaw here is a 3OSC patch I made, so here's a link to the PF of you don't believe me!"). Needless to say I wasn't too happy with that so I decided to create a song with 3OSC from scratch to point it out in a snarky fashion.

https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/rebellion

I guess now that the name is Rebellion (the name was originally 3OSC WOW) the song is an edgy song about people rebelling against things.
Last edited by Stakeout Punch on 09 Mar 2014 21:18, edited 2 times in total.
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
Stakeout Punch

Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Postby itroitnyah » 05 Mar 2014 21:08

stakeout poni wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:How? I'm pretty confused about this.

I don't do any promotion, I'm way too lazy. The secret is that this is a fresh account, my old one has like 170 followers (Search "Stakeout Poop," that is my original account). I also have quite a fanbase of die-hard LMMS fans that don't get how I use LMMS either. I've been using LMMS for about 3 years now so I'm pretty well versed with it and its quirks.
Damn man. That's great. If I were to advertise that I used FL on my soundcloud, I would probably just come across as a generic in-the-basement-on-mom's-computer-with-a-pair-of-beats kid.
itroitnyah

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Mar 2014 09:43

I did some mixing stuff with my track, here's the updated version. There aren't really any tracks above that I haven't critiqued, so :|
itroitnyah

Postby JSynth » 09 Mar 2014 18:09

Its a pretty decent track, the sounds are nice and the transitions work well. However, the lead's melody could use a bit of work. It feels a bit random at times. Also your wah-wah bass (its a technical term... trust me) feels a bit thin. It could probably be layered a bit and given more harmonics. But overall, its a good song.

Now on to my crap. It ended more abruptly then I wanted it to but this is what I have so far. I'm not really sure where to take the song from here.

https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/the-muisc-in-you-wip
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Injustrial » 14 Mar 2014 20:27

Is this really something you need take elsewhere? I feel you've got a nice progression going on, and there's really no need for another layer to hit in. Perhaps looping back to the bells would be the best thing you could do here? I feel the song is pretty self contained and don't require another layer to make it "good"

The one thing I will comment on is the use of samples. They sound very artificial, due to the tuning you've put them through, when your track sounds more organic (If that makes sense) It's almost like two worlds collide, though none of them seem to work together. The song does end abruptly, so it's hard to tell, but I believe you'd benefit from reducing the "centering" (or whatever it's called in Logic) of the vocals and letting the voices sound more natural.

I do enjoy the chord progression you've got going here. It's dark, threatening and ominous. I believe, if you're able to keep the mood and ambiance up, you would be able to twist this otherwise uplifting song into something completely different. And that's always something I would tune in to.
-------
Right, let's get this stuff on the road. I've experimented with a more EBM-like bass and less processed vocals on this one. Though it's classic me in composition, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the overall execution.

https://soundcloud.com/injustrial/pride-and-fall

PS: The chorus changes after the bridge.
Injustrial

Postby Alycs » 21 Mar 2014 11:34

@Injustrial:
I'm just going to admit right now I'm by no means an expert in this genre, so if I point out something that is a core component to how the song is supposed to sound, I'm sorry.

The first thing I noticed is the drums seem to get washed out very quickly. The kick is there if you concentrate, but there is so much other stuff in the lower register, especially after 0:17, that it just doesn't cut through the mix. The snares also seem to be losing punch, they don't have a lot of lower end power and the top end just kinda fades out. With this kind of aggressive track and singing style, it seems like the drums would want to cut through the mix, and at the moment they don't really do that.

The lead that you bring in at 0:14 fits the track in terms of its general sound, but it also seems to be a little flat. Its all high end, and the track in general seems to have a lack of mid range frequencies, and while it has a lot of stereo depth, there aren't any elements that are really in-your-face to help the listener focus except for the vocals. I'd recommend breaking the lead into its mid and side components, and add the reverb only to the side, that way there is still the full sound, but it doesn't lose its "punch" in the process.

Finally, the track doesn't do a whole lot. There are a lot of nice elements, but except for a short part after the bridge, it sounds more or less the same the whole way through. If it weren't for the vocals, the whole song could almost be a repeating loop. This is a particularly difficult issue to take care of, as the line between repetition and randomness is very thin. Maybe work with the chord structures and variations between the melody and harmony. Its a very nice start, but it does need some work still.

---------
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/yh8 ... 20Rush.mp3
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Injustrial » 21 Mar 2014 11:42

Thanks for taking the time, Alycs! You're pretty much spot on about a lot things here, especially the drum parts. Mixing is still something I'm having a hard time with, especially getting the kick and bass to work well together. I'll keep what you said in mind for my next one, especially the part about the snare. Snares are so hard.... :P
Injustrial

Postby azerty » 21 Mar 2014 19:06

First and foremost, this is a runnin' tune, big ups to you on that. I really enjoyed the upbeat-yet-heavy feel that you managed to convey quite well, and your sound design is top-notch.

However, to me, it felt like once the drop kicked in, the drums became lost in the chaos. I could still hear the high end of the kick, but it felt far too tinny and not fitting the loud sound you're creating with your basses; the snare was virtually nonexistent except for a dash of reverb. In addition, it might've been helpful to make the first beat of the drop a bit bigger; I got a chord, but no drums or any big impact, and I wasn't totally sure if the drop was starting or just another verse. This was my only major problem with the song, though. If I were to find fault with anything else, it'd be that the risk you run with having such a complex, multifaceted drop is that the sounds may not mesh together very well, but this was for the most part successfully avoided.

I totally loved the leads and melodies in the beginning, and they were repeated as motifs cleverly and satisfyingly throughout the drop. The buildup was excellent, and I was grooving to the track the whole time. Overall, an excellent job, I can't wait to see where you take it from here.

---

Here's an entry I've made for Ocular's "Timeless" remix competition; this is a first draft, so let me know anything and everything that I ought to fix before I submit a finished product. Hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/azertyuiopmusic/ocular-timeless-azerty-remix
My YouTube (everything except music)
My SoundCloud
My Twitter @azertymusic (...wait, I have a Twitter?)

>>16555555
azerty

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: The Shogun Audio symbol

Postby simonli2575 » 24 Mar 2014 01:23

https://soundcloud.com/azertyuiopmusic/ocular-timeless-azerty-remix
0:26-0:44, 2:39-2:58
Nice use of basses, but I feel that half of them sound kind of muffled.
1:06
That first bass could use a tiny volume boost from here on out.
Some basses sound either a bit too loud or a bit too weak.
I do like that 8-bit effects you put there.
3:20-3:40
I like that use of gating effects.
3:44
And things are back to the way the first drop was but with some variations.
@The end
A good way to end the track by fading out the arps, though maybe you could end make a perfect cadence rather than an imperfect cadence at the end, but that's just my opinion, the track sounds good either way.

--------------
Here's one of my WIP tracks, I hope it's at least half decent so far.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/531 ... mories.mp3
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass