Review the track(s) above you

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Dr. Plague » 13 May 2014 20:05

I don't quite have an ear for details like Kyoga does, so I don't really hear the "harmonic control" issues mentioned (though my lack of noticing probably explains a bit for my problems lol). Let's see now...

The first thing fresh on my mind is the end, around 3:40 where you had the kick-snare beat going. The snare's low end is a little weak and causes the snare itself to drown a little in the synths, so I'd bring that out a little more. If that's the same snare you're using as around 1:15, then that just means the synths around it are too loud and not mixed in well, because the snare was fine at that earlier point.

Even if a "pumping" sound isn't what you're going for, maybe try sidechaining the synths to your kick and snare a bit, just enough to give them room to pop out. At least do it for the snare a bit so it doesn't drown.

Also, the transition at 1:45-ish was a bit abrupt. Maybe add a little reverb to your lead there and automate it so it's only wet at that point to kind of fade out a bit?

Overall, though, I liked the track. Just polish it up a bit and you've got a good thing going.

Kyoga wrote:Regardless, here is my contribution to this chat:
Because I still can't get the youtube thing to work. gah.

I really don't know what to say about this because ambient stuff is, well, way out of my playing field. Even during my huge metal (and co.) phase, I never liked the ambient stuff, especially genres like post-rock. It's just... I don't know. I just never enjoy it. To me, as far as I can tell, this is just a bunch of drawn-out chords that slowly fade into one another. Sorry if I come across rude saying that.

As far as mixing and the mastering goes (since that's about all that I have left to comment on), sounds great, no issues at all there.

Mush wrote:Contribution: Muh Tombstone impression.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OowelRoTrkU

I can't stand Tombstone's stuff, so I'll leave the commentary of that side of the song at that.

I think you've got the Maud samples a little high in the mix. Not ridiculously loud or anything, but when they came in, they kind of dropped the other stuff going on a bit.

Idk if it's supposed to be part of this style, but the guitars are a bit jarring. I mean, the intro alone had me wondering if my Chrome was lagging and causing distortion, but...

The right guitar sounds a little out of tune at times, too.

There seems to be a lot of noise that accompanies your vocals, and it'd be nice to filter that out a little bit. It adds unnecessary volume to your vocals.

Great job on the drums, though. I love the delay on the snare (or whatever you're using for that role, so to speak).

Felipe_9595 wrote:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93823550/Mastered%20Flutterwonder.mp3

I don't know if this is a vocal cover on top of the original instrumental (I'd have no idea because I don't think I've ever heard whatever the original of this is) or if you did an entire cover (wait that sounds dumb because you said "vocal cover" so it would just be the vocals right??), but I guess you're looking for critique on your vocals.

Well, you're definitely a good singer, and you've got the mixing and stuff on your vocals done great. The only issue I have is that I can't tell if you have a heavy accent, if you covered this in another language, or if you did a mix of languages. I can catch words here and there that sound English, but otherwise, I don't know.

---

I feel bad when I'm harsh on other people because I know my shit is nowhere near good either. Regardless:

https://soundcloud.com/plaguedmusick/wanizame

I'm also increasingly getting frustrated with mixing. I can't get the snare to pop the way I want it to at all (and the kick's muddy, too), and even though I have the growl high-passed, I can't seem to get the sub to really come through the way I want it to. Blegh.
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
Dr. Plague

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Postby DJ TATCM » 23 May 2014 15:09

Personally I would have liked it if the growl somehow retained its sort of melodic quality after the second drop. It left me a bit confused to be honest, unsure of what the note was although it got better as it progressed and the lead came back in. Speaking of which, I really do like that lead, it helps keep the whole song together really well and nicely. I'm not quite sure why the percussion pattern sometimes goes through a low-pass filter during the drop, but that might just be me. Synth work is superior, though, but i think it needs more high-end stuff not high-end as in expensive but high end as in higher pitch or whateverer? hi hats Sorry I'm not good at technical stuff as you can probably tell by my wipwipwip

https://soundcloud.com/dj-tatcm/every-t ... genre-help
btw i have no idea what genre i was trying to make here but i guess it came out sounding coolish ech
CommandSpry wrote:srbija never explore pleasure of sit :(

Vote for my remix here!
Soundcloud
BandCamp
YouTube
our love is stronger than a golden banana
DJ TATCM

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: trent reznor

Postby FritzyBeat » 02 Jun 2014 05:04

@DJ TATCM

Wow, that was certainly interesting X3 While its rather hard to critique without knowing exactly what sort of music you were going for, I can at least point out a couple things. First, I did like the strange ambient vibe you've got going, the drums are nice, and the sounds you picked do really compliment (and/or) create that vibe rather nicely =)
My biggest critique is that it does get old rather fast XP Its pretty repetitive the whole way through, and that makes some of those sounds, which helped to make the mood before, become a little more irritating. A little more variation in the melody, and perhaps some additional synths would really help smooth out this track. =)

And now my track:
How does the silly Youtube embed work??? XD

:3
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCybhzNv4lLfKc1gQ09Cqx6g
If any of you guys are looking for a singer (or an occasional songwriter) then feel free to hit me up, I'm always happy to join in a collaboration =)
FritzyBeat

Primary: GarageBand
Cutie Mark: Muffins!

Postby Trixie » 04 Jun 2014 13:47

@DJ TATCM

Very interesting sound indeed - I'm not sure it's the sound you were going for, but it's interesting regardless. That synth (the main one) is pretty much defining the sound, I think...it's really weird with that kind of opening up sound, and then you have the constant maj 3rd harmony which just sounds...kinda spooky, honestly. Overall a cool, albeit maybe hard to use sound.

Overall it's neat, but as FritzyBeat mentioned it does get a little repetitive. Perhaps what you could do is at some point in the song (perhaps around the 0:50 mark?), after it cools down for a bit, bring that melody/phrase back, but use a more present snare sample and more...defined, I guess, synths.

I'm not really sure what else to add...play with it, though! I know my critique was not really concrete or anything, but I hope you got something out of it ^^;.

@FritzyBeat

I did not expect the vocals! I actually quite like the song overall, and I like the lyrics! On that point, though, just one little thing - the "because the Earth is just a lonely promenade" line is cool lyrically, but it sounds pretty awkward sung...the stressed syllables fall in all the weirdest places, and in fact I couldn't understand what you were singing there until I read the lyrics. I think it could've been made a little less awkward with a different rhythm there...I have one in mind, but anyways, I think you understand.

The other thing is that as I was listening, I was hoping for a sweet synth solo at some point ;; My ears desired iiit

As for positive comments...everything else. I like the song a lot! The crackles in the background, the tambourine and clap samples, the kick isn't intrusive, your vocals are nice, the bass is really chill, and I love the synth in the background doing the unison with your voice in the chorus. Also, that little instrumental bit after the...last two choruses, I think? caught my attention..it's quite nice.

Sweet stuff. Really chill and calm and enjoyable to listen to. You know, if you're ever in the mood to collab, I'd be happy to X3.

One question - who drew the cover art?

Anywho...Here's my tune. Or rather, a part of a thing I'm working on. It's just 11 bars...I'm pretty happy with what I've got in those 11 bars so far, but it's definitely missing some low end, and I'm honestly kind of stumped on how to put it in there. So...tear it apart, tell me what I'm missing!

https://soundcloud.com/thegreatandpowerfultrixie/project1-1
"[5:49:48 PM] Bass Clopper: I reget getting the 17 inch
[5:49:53 PM] Bass Clopper: Harder to fit than the 15 was D:"
Trixie

Postby Felipe_9595 » 05 Jun 2014 12:00

/*

@Trixie

Well, i can't make a too extense review about that but it sounds really nice, the mixing is pretty clean, i like a lot what you did with the voice samples. About the low end.... that SCREAMS for a slap bass, it would make everything so much fuller and it would fit nicely with the sound you are aiming for.

*/

Something i just finished, kinda melodic/ambient , a theme inspired by the Everfree Forest

Felipe_9595

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 06 Jun 2014 18:05

O.K. I'm in the forest, melodic guitar, string plucks good good, oboe in background...Bass...Lightly. I euphoric melody, next layers in, Nice touch on the flute...ok back to one, flute solo nice nice. Very forest...Tribal yet european. Townie perhaps? I feel it's a movie trailer for an indian princess sort of, or maybe... renaissance era. nice delay there...again back to one with the pluck...oh next layer of pluck nice....and fade out...
It felt meditation/wonder.Very Very light did you use a notch filter? It sounds like it then you upped the volume a pinch. Is that a slight autoduck with the flute? If so very nice. Was it Midi for the strings I'm assuming... then you soloed keyboard on the flute I'm assuming...It sounds Finale...possibly...maybe you just have good fonts is all. Add a kick, and BOOM it's light house...but I think you just meant it to be peace-like. I liked it 8/10.
Hyōka isn't real, and neither is that spoon from the matrix!
RCYouKnowMe

Primary: Audacity w/Musescore, VSTHOST, Ansine 2, DrumBurst, and real intruments: Yamaha YS-7, Guitar, Clarinet.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 06 Jun 2014 18:09

Trixie: Your eleven Bars were the super glitchy hop, very 80s. I'd do an 8th note background of xylo, then a little keyboard solo....maybe some brass? but whatevs. You could combine it with Mr.Filepe's everfree, and then badda bing you have a drop. same tempo really...I think same key too...anyway 6/10 cause it's not done yet: 9/10 for the stuff that was done.
RCYouKnowMe

Primary: Audacity w/Musescore, VSTHOST, Ansine 2, DrumBurst, and real intruments: Yamaha YS-7, Guitar, Clarinet.

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 06 Jun 2014 18:16

Frizzies track here we go...Heceta is it? Is that greek? O.K. (Play). vinyl effect, star theme, nice echo, good variance with the square....oh! the drop of vocals...good bass. "take my hand and..." Yeah nice.good drums, and the bridge is nice. Ohhh silence factor back to one...what's the quote I can't hear it... wait...find a new home? "Yeeaaaa" lol. Good message I think. again with the drums nice, and fade out. The picture fits perfect, was it about...dr who, and finding derpy as his girl? Right? It's a good love song for sure. What? Have your eye on someone? I'd give this to em'. 9/10.
RCYouKnowMe

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 06 Jun 2014 18:22

DJTACTM...I LOVE IT! It's so...ugh... I can;t describe it it's like the russian woodpecker made into a meme. the glass blow/reverb thing was pretty cool. good kick, I think for the next part you go into a crazy sax solo...but that's just me. 9/10

Oh, BTW could someone review this one: I have no idea if it's...I have no idea you gotta hear for your self:

https://soundcloud.com/dominic-joseph-rico/11a

Thank you.
RCYouKnowMe

Postby Dr. Plague » 07 Jun 2014 00:20

thanks for the skip

I'd also just like to point out (instead of filing 3 separate reports) the fact that you've made 5 posts on this forum, and 4 of those are in this topic, lol
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
Dr. Plague

Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 07 Jun 2014 01:53

I walk, not skip...who'd I skip? I'm sorry was it you. BTW...did you like the track?
RCYouKnowMe

Postby DJGaugen » 07 Jun 2014 22:08

RCYouKnowMe wrote:DJTACTM...I LOVE IT! It's so...ugh... I can;t describe it it's like the russian woodpecker made into a meme. the glass blow/reverb thing was pretty cool. good kick, I think for the next part you go into a crazy sax solo...but that's just me. 9/10

Oh, BTW could someone review this one: I have no idea if it's...I have no idea you gotta hear for your self:

Thank you.

It's clear that you have no real idea of what you're doing, hahahah. It's no biggie though, you'll get the hang of it eventually.

The song was a bit random, and sounded like everything was thrown into a sequencer with no real thought given to it. It's like driving down a dark road with no headlights, but you've already driven clean off the track within your first five seconds.

I suggest spending more time listening to music, and getting a real feel for it, then moving on to real production.

Cheers.
DAW: Ableton Live
VST's: NI Komplete 9 (set)
Genre(s): Dubstep / Electro
DJGaugen

Primary: Ableton Live
Cutie Mark: Audacity

Postby JSynth » 08 Jun 2014 13:58

There is no track above me so 10/10.

EDIT: I was told not to be that guy. Sorry Eery

RCYouKnowMe wrote:Oh, BTW could someone review this one: I have no idea if it's...I have no idea you gotta hear for your self:

Thank you.

I'm not certain if you are trying to sound chaotic or not. If you are trying to sound chaotic on purpose, then it may do you much better to transition from order to chaos then back. Its hard to explain what I mean here.
Music is all built on tension and release. In EDM, an artist will build up tension during the build then release it in the drop. Understanding this, can really help you when working on a chaotic type track.

If you weren't going for a chaotic sounding track, then I would highly recommend studying basic music theory and/or taking a instrument lessons. Understanding things like keys, scales and chord progressions can go a long way.

https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/venus-wip

So this is a thing that I am working on. I am really focusing on the first instrumental break, the "dubstep drop" at the end and the overall formatting. Other feedback is welcome, though keep in mind that I have not done much mixing.
Last edited by JSynth on 08 Jun 2014 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby DJGaugen » 08 Jun 2014 14:27

JSynth wrote:There is no track above me so 10/10.

https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/venus-wip

So this is a thing that I am working on. I am really focusing on the first instrumental break, the "dubstep drop" at the end and the overall formatting. Other feedback is welcome, though keep in mind that I have not done much mixing.

Singing is bad/10, work on it m8.
The first drop is alright, I like when the chimes come in.
I'm in love with the chiptune part.
Dubstep at the end is okay, but it's really out of place.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, especially the chiptune bit.

Skip me, someone review this as well.
DJGaugen

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 08 Jun 2014 17:47

thank you for the review less random got it... but yes chaos was the goal...but maybe I did lay it on toooo thick.
O.K. 'I watched you go...let you know wont let this be easy...'are you leaving your parents or something? that's the vibe I'm getting...no wait a loved one...what could have been. good saw solo. Like the gammer vibe/baroqueness. and...square solo... I like the drums btw. good conga. and...a wub? ohhh bridge time....and...fade out? No resolution? I think you have some unresolved issues here in the song at least...the minor tone, and slow tempo got me down...but I think maybe that's what you were going for...I think you need to double that speed there at the part after the wubs, and use some fight back lyrics Like : I will prevail in the end...or something...or maybe the other way... an apology? Sorry, goodbye forever, I will always remember. Something to have it not end on the negative. I just like resolutions that's all. 7/10, that's what I got.
RCYouKnowMe

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 08 Jun 2014 17:49

"sounded like everything was thrown into a sequencer with no real thought given to it."
YAY I'm getting somewhere at least: that was analogue no midi.
RCYouKnowMe

Postby Astron » 09 Jun 2014 18:12

@JSynth
I'm not too good at reviews on music, but I will still say what I thought of it. First of all, I liked the really calming yet dark feel it has. I also liked the chiptune solo you had in there. It was nice and simple and was a great addition to the song. However, I'm not a huge fan of the vocals. I think it made it a bit difficult to fully understand the lyrics. Also, like DJGaugen, I think the dubstep at the end is a bit out of place. I know that's not very much; like I said, I'm not the greatest when it comes to feedback.

Anyways, here's my track. Please don't die while listening to it because of how bad it is. xD
https://soundcloud.com/atronmusic13/clockwork
Astron

Cutie Mark: 888888888888888888888888888888

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 10 Jun 2014 17:16

uhhh, I don/t know about y'all but for me the link did't really work.
RCYouKnowMe

Postby LFP » 11 Jun 2014 00:33

Nope, the link doesn't work.
Make sure your track is public unless you purposely want it private in which case to share the track go to "share private track" which will create an URL for you to copy.
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Glitchhog » 11 Jun 2014 02:20

Can't seem to get the most recent track loaded, so I'll just review Venus;

Singing is... pretty bad. I love the melodies you've used, but feel the track lacks depth. There needs to be way more going on tbh. Kick needs to be louder. Not sure what else there is to say that others haven't noted yet.

Here's mine. I don't think I've ever knocked out a track this quickly before. Started it last night, finished it an hour ago or something. Not really a massively important track, more just filler than anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTgNBlOTo8k
Australian-based Electrohouse producer. Check out my YouTube or SoundCloud for music, or help me out by donating.
Glitchhog

Cutie Mark: Electrohouse

Postby Naturematthe » 12 Jun 2014 02:30

Glitchhog wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTgNBlOTo8k

First of all: I do not know the original song, so I can't really compare it to that one and will just reviev it as a single piece of music.

The first thing I noticed is that it doesn't sound as generic as some other pieces from that genre I listened to, especially since some chords from the loop aren't that easy to analyze. (For example, I am not sure if the third chord from the loop is F# or D#m7.) Even though these chords are complex, they don't make listening to it too complicated in my opinion.
What actually is a little complicated to listen to is the vocals. I can hear them somehow, but they could have been more ostensible so they aren't just overrun by everything else. (That "everything else" however works quite fine the way you mixed it.)
I really liked the way you worked with the ending. The fading-out drum hits are unexpected but really add something to the piece.
Last but not least I want to positively mention that you didn't Us eyour drums for every single second. The passages without drums work as fine as they do because they don't need any drums (or just a minimal amount, i.e. after 1:19.)

----------

Now for my track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlBnuFCF1LI
Don't mess with hybrids!
Naturematthe

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Organ

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 12 Jun 2014 18:46

O.K Listening...strings drama nice. flute unexpected. Renaissance...horns... The war is afoot! there is hope yet drama. timpani nice. flute plus string duo? I think...fast strings...oh now I'm in the prairie with the flute. awwww. Nice,. now a sad/happy violin solo. slow and steady...the dog fight? Yes... the horns... the troops are coming...bombs from far away...and stop? No resolution? I need a major chord here! I guess it was meant to end like that. very classical. I'd give it to warner bros. right away. sendem' a detailed email or something... very theatrical. I'd of liked a percussion solo...but other then that it was GREAT! Reminded me of...well personally it reminded me of me dealing with the state of the country sort of a reflection... The travesties upon travesties in the news, and in the streets. Kind of post war rather...if that's what you were going for 9/10.
RCYouKnowMe

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 14 Jun 2014 18:01

,,,S anyway...
COuld someone review this one>
https://soundcloud.com/dominic-joseph-rico/manually
RCYouKnowMe

Postby DJGaugen » 17 Jun 2014 09:12

RCYouKnowMe wrote:,,,S anyway...
COuld someone review this one>
https://soundcloud.com/dominic-joseph-rico/manually

Reminds me of Papo and Yo, or at least the first half of it does.

It sounds nice for what it's trying to be, but ultimately not my cup of tea.
The hats are too loud (specifically the noise hats).
The kick is boring.
The random guitar is bretty gut.
The bass sound is bretty gut.
Everything after 2:30 is a complete mess.
Too many random noises make it stop sounding like a song.

[Skip]
DJGaugen

Postby RCYouKnowMe » 17 Jun 2014 11:08

O.K. I feel greaful. This is better since last time... Loud high hats? O.K. O.K. I know a few tricks with the kick.
only thing I'm confused about is "Gut" Like... too raw? Is that what it means? everything after 2:30... so for around two minutes I was organized. This is very helpful thank you.
RCYouKnowMe

PreviousNext

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice