Friendship is Magic

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Friendship is Magic

Postby Overkillius » 01 Jul 2011 17:37

Hi, James here.

Here is a song I wrote. It is relevant because it was pony inspired.
http://soundcloud.com/uberkillius/friendship-is-magic

Here is the full score sheet music
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34087043/Friendship%20is%20Magic.pdf

Double Period Form: ------------------- Double Contrasting period
Periods:----------------------- Contrasting ----------------- Contrasting
Phrase names: ------------- A ------------- B -------------- C ------------ A'
Cadences: --------------- m.7 IAC ---- m.15 PAC ---- m.23 HC ---- m.31 PAC

I want to figure out what screen capture software I can use for free to get a video uploaded on youtube. If anyone could help me here, I am a noob, and it would be greatly appreciated.

I wrote this after watching the last episode of MLP:FiM as a mostly regular "speed composition" I make myself do about every week. This one took about 1hour and 30minutes. I also did everything based on what I have learned from my high school theory class and stuck with it. The exception to this is that I like to modulate between Major and minor. In this songs case C Major to a minor back to C Major.

This is not my first composition... My first composition was a (IMO) stupid piece for the piano when I was 13.

I don't plan to make this a longer song (mostly because I don't really know how) unless it is part of a medley of some sort.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Overkillius on 03 Jul 2011 17:43, edited 3 times in total.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Re: Friendship is Magic

Postby Senator Myth » 01 Jul 2011 17:53

Wow, this is really quite lovely. It's definitely reminiscent of classical music, although I lack the expertise to determine what era or school it would be from. Were you maybe inspired by any composer in particular, or were you trying to stick to a specific musical form? Because it seems to have a kind of structure, albeit one I can't quite grasp.

And if you want to upload PDF files for others to download, I recommend using Dropbox. It's what I use for that kind of thing, and right now I'm even distributing Sweet Apple Acres through it on my YouTube page. I'm not saying it's the best, but the program has always worked out for me.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Overkillius » 01 Jul 2011 18:11

No real composers in mind for this one. I do use a sort of form I guess. It's just simple period structure that I learned. If you have no clue what I am talking about I understand. This is actually pretty subjective and it was hard for me to grasp. Sorry If I havn't gotten the sheets up yet. This diagram I am about to draw out requires it as a reference. (unless you just count it out, it is in 3/4)

Edit: I am going to put the diagram in the OP.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 01 Jul 2011 18:45

Senator Myth wrote:Were you maybe inspired by any composer in particular, or were you trying to stick to a specific musical form?

My thoughts would be that it sounds Baroque-like, but the harmonies are more Classical period.

Well, I liked it, it went on for the perfect amount of time! What I mean by that is that rhythmically, it's uneventful, so if you expanded it, maybe treat this piece as a phrase itself and add some variation! But in terms of theory and the structure you mentioned, it's well executed!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Overkillius » 01 Jul 2011 18:52

@Dr_dissonance You appear to know ALOT more than me about music in general. (a big assumption... but it is probably true) Is there anyway you could show me somewhat what you would have in mind for said "expansion"? Also explain it being rhythmically uneventful. Seriously I don't quite know about this stuff yet, but I see what you are saying. :\

It would be a lot of help as far as learning more about composing :]
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 01 Jul 2011 19:04

Overkillius wrote:@Dr_dissonance You appear to know ALOT more than me about music in general. (a big assumption... but it is probably true) Is there anyway you could show me somewhat what you would have in mind for said "expansion"? Also explain it being rhythmically uneventful. Seriously I don't quite know about this stuff yet, but I see what you are saying. :\

It would be a lot of help as far as learning more about composing :]

Well, I don't like to toot my own trumpet... :)

Well, when I say rhythmically uneventful, I mean that the entire thing is very chordal based, so as a result, the melody molds into the harmony. This is GREAT for choirs and singing pieces, but this is for string orchestra I'm guessing (?), so making the melody have a rhythm that is outside the accompaniment would help. For example, if the harmony is using crotchets and minims (quarter and half notes if you're American), then put more quavers (eighth notes) in the melody line, to make it stand out and mix it up a bit!

For an expansion, maybe carry on with a fast section that uses the same melody, but with the harmony to the dominant. This would add a big contrast and may even eliminate the need for what I said beforehand! That is, if you're sticking with the whole Baroque/Classical vibe.

I hope that helps with my current, sleep-induced state...
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Senator Myth » 01 Jul 2011 20:45

After listening to it a few more times, I would like to -- with your permission, of course -- attempt to work with this song, purely for the purpose of my own self-education. I'd bet you wouldn't have a problem with that, since you posted the sheet music and all. But I would like to take a stab at it sometime, if that would be okay.
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby Overkillius » 01 Jul 2011 20:47

Senator Myth wrote:After listening to it a few more times, I would like to -- with your permission, of course -- attempt to work with this song, purely for the purpose of my own self-education. I'd bet you wouldn't have a problem with that, since you posted the sheet music and all. But I would like to take a stab at it sometime, if that would be okay.

DO IT. I wasn't planning to do that, and I would love to see what you can conjure up.

It's times like this when I dream of being Mozart... start writing stuff when you are five... being a pro on the violin and keyboard before that... writing famous music everyone knows... having Tourette's and dying at a young age...

Scratch those last two things. I'll take the rest though.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Postby Senator Myth » 01 Jul 2011 20:55

Thank you kindly. Although I do have my hands full with my own things, when I need a change of pace I'll take another look. That could be tomorrow or weeks from now. Or the next hour. I can't really promise anything. =P
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice