Sweet Apple Acres

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Sweet Apple Acres

Postby Senator Myth » 01 Jul 2011 15:14

I hope this is the right place for this, and that I'm doing it right.

I'm essentially a noob when it comes to this stuff, so I'd really love some feedback. I realize that a lot of the musicians around here are into electronic music, which is part of the reason why I wanted to avoid making that kind of thing -- not because I dislike it by any means, but because Bronies crave variety.

So this is my very first composition, and my very first use of the software (Reason 5). I wanted to combine some folksy instrumentation with a nice orchestral feel, and some simple chords. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. But a lot of you have been doing musical things for longer than I have, so I'd love to hear what you think! Thanks Bronies!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Re: Sweet Apple Acres

Postby PinkiePieSwear » 01 Jul 2011 15:27

Eeyup! You are in the right place :) I think this is fantastic! It is extremely catchy.

It's funny that you mention a lot of bronies doing electronic music. I've been really wanting to do a more orchestral theme for that very reason, and I've always wanted to make a custom Sweet Apple Acres theme. I think this blows away what little I have done so far though haha.

I'd love to hear what Makkon thinks. He's like... the orchestral guru.
PinkiePieSwear

Postby Overkillius » 01 Jul 2011 15:52

Pretty cool. Actually REALLY cool. Good Job! If you have sheet music for this I'd love to see it in .pdf or .mus form. I want to be awesome like you (technically I wan't to be original and what not... but you know what I am saying (you're awesome)) It's pretty dramatic and doesn't fall apart. If this is your first composition I'm excited to see what stuff you eventually start doing.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Senator Myth » 01 Jul 2011 16:38

@PinkiePieSwear Thanks very much! I wanted to do something a little different from a lot of the more well-known orchestral pony music, which is part of how this track came to be. I'm also kind of working on a classic rock-ish track (that I'm likely to post here for feedback, since I'm having a bit of trouble with it). My goal is to diversify, and inspire others to diversify (taking care to note again that there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the electronic music that comprises the bulk of pony music).

@Overkillius I'm not really sure how I'd go about doing that for you, although I'll look into converting it into those files. If you're interested in the basic chordal structure, it's I-II-IV, all major. (This chord progression is used in a lot of songs, like Eight Days a Week by the Beatles and F**k You by Cee Lo Green, to name two extremely different examples). So that would be E Major, F-sharp Major, and A Major, then back again. There's a bit of variation, but that's basically it.

I'm assuming there are programs out there that convert MIDI files to sheet music and whatnot, so I'll look into that. If you'd like the straight MIDI, though, I could hook you up with it.

And to both of you, thank you for the compliments.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice