Undeserved Sins (Past Sins Tribute)

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Undeserved Sins (Past Sins Tribute)

Postby Stars In Autumn » 18 Aug 2011 00:51

This song took waaaay too long to make.

This is based off the fan fiction Past Sins by Pen Stroke and Batty Gloom. It's kind of suppose to be background music of the first 10 chapters, which makes it pretty long. I tried to cover a variety of moods.

http://soundcloud.com/starsinautumn/undeserved-sins

I'm pretty much done but I'm kind of unsure about some parts. Let me know what you all think.

And yes, I know the kazoo sounds terrible, but it's part of the story >_>. Not sure how to make it work.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Re: Undeserved Sins (Past Sins Tribute)

Postby Makkon » 18 Aug 2011 01:22

Your composition skills baffle me. Do you record a midi or just click in the notes?

I do think that your songs deserve better sound libraries, though. They're just too good.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 18 Aug 2011 01:38

I haven't read Past Sins, so I can't tell whether it fits or not...:P

I'm not actually sure what to say...on the one hand I did LIKE IT! But on the other hand, it bugged me...
I think it's because I just got back from a lengthy debate about harmonic worlds and the lack of harmonic movement in "hollywood music"...this kind of fits that description. Hollywood music (which is a good thing) that doesn't feel like it goes anywhere harmonically...
I can guarantee that that opinion will change once I've cooled down, so I'll come back in a few hours and listen again...:P
Colour-wise, it goes here, there and everywhere though and I liked that!
Oh and also, if you're using the Nightmare Moon Theme that Anderson wrote for MLP (it sounded like you did), then your note at 1.41 and so on sounded a little too low...perhaps just double check your transcription!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby ClutterTrot » 18 Aug 2011 03:39

Oh, I'm going to have to keep an eye on this. I wanna use those first few parts for when the Nightmare Moon story gets told.
ClutterTrot

Postby Stars In Autumn » 18 Aug 2011 08:28

Jeffthestrider wrote:Your composition skills baffle me. Do you record a midi or just click in the notes?

I do think that your songs deserve better sound libraries, though. They're just too good.

Thanks! Some parts are MIDI, others I plug in manually. The synth near the end was MIDI for the first part with some minor adjustments to note position and length. The part where it becomes nothing but 16th notes were all plugged in though.

What do you suggest in libraries? All I use pretty much Atlantis, Kontakt, and a huge drum sample pack I found awhile back.

Dr_Dissonance wrote:I haven't read Past Sins, so I can't tell whether it fits or not...:P

I'm not actually sure what to say...on the one hand I did LIKE IT! But on the other hand, it bugged me...
I think it's because I just got back from a lengthy debate about harmonic worlds and the lack of harmonic movement in "hollywood music"...this kind of fits that description. Hollywood music (which is a good thing) that doesn't feel like it goes anywhere harmonically...
I can guarantee that that opinion will change once I've cooled down, so I'll come back in a few hours and listen again...:P
Colour-wise, it goes here, there and everywhere though and I liked that!
Oh and also, if you're using the Nightmare Moon Theme that Anderson wrote for MLP (it sounded like you did), then your note at 1.41 and so on sounded a little too low...perhaps just double check your transcription!

I am using the theme. I modified it slightly there and at the beginning so the 2nd playthrough the last note is a semitone up. The note at 1.40 is Eb when normally it's D, so the tonal note played afterwards might sound a little low. Could you explain more about it lacking harmonics? Or more specifically where?

Thanks for the feedback all!
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 18 Aug 2011 08:42

I feel bad for writing that now, as I have to explain myself, which'll make me sound like a douche...:P
Also, I'd really need the score in order to confirm what the hell I'm on about...

So, I'm referring to harmonic worlds, not harmonics...this piece is fine without harmonics! When I say harmonic worlds, I mean the dominant pitches each piece is based on...so effectively, I mean tonal centers, except not, if that makes any sense? It's a combination of tonal center, key, pitch class, timbre etc etc...
Anyway, I feel that this piece doesn't have enough of a variation of harmonic worlds. As far as I can tell, it doesn't really shift very far harmonically...but my ears are pretty bad at picking that sort of stuff up...

Remember I am saying this because I think you have great potential and I'm much harsher with critiquing to good composers...:P
Also, as a normal listener, I wouldn't care about all this, so it's successful for your audience!
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby ZAquanimus » 18 Aug 2011 12:49

you sir...

Well I'm not one to critique on the actual workings of the song and how it can be improved.
But I can say that this fits the mood of the first 10 chapters exactly.
I absolutely loved it.

Just so you know, I loved it so much that I actually made an account so I could tell you myself!
ZAquanimus

Postby Stars In Autumn » 18 Aug 2011 19:20

Dr_Dissonance wrote:I feel bad for writing that now, as I have to explain myself, which'll make me sound like a douche...:P
Also, I'd really need the score in order to confirm what the hell I'm on about...

So, I'm referring to harmonic worlds, not harmonics...this piece is fine without harmonics! When I say harmonic worlds, I mean the dominant pitches each piece is based on...so effectively, I mean tonal centers, except not, if that makes any sense? It's a combination of tonal center, key, pitch class, timbre etc etc...
Anyway, I feel that this piece doesn't have enough of a variation of harmonic worlds. As far as I can tell, it doesn't really shift very far harmonically...but my ears are pretty bad at picking that sort of stuff up...

Remember I am saying this because I think you have great potential and I'm much harsher with critiquing to good composers...:P
Also, as a normal listener, I wouldn't care about all this, so it's successful for your audience!

Could you give me an example of a piece that exemplifies what you are describing? I change key several times in the piece (minor in the darker parts and major in the lighter parts), so I'm not fully understanding what you mean. So an example would help.

You don't sound like a douche for having an opinion :) I'm pretty sure you have more music theory than me under your belt as well.

ZAquanimus wrote:...
you sir...

Well I'm not one to critique on the actual workings of the song and how it can be improved.
But I can say that this fits the mood of the first 10 chapters exactly.
I absolutely loved it.

Just so you know, I loved it so much that I actually made an account so I could tell you myself!

Haha, yes, I'm getting more people to stop lurking on the forum!
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby ZAquanimus » 18 Aug 2011 19:40

Wellllll
Technically, I was never lurking.

I just get sent here sometimes by my brother Pustulioooooo XD
ZAquanimus

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 18 Aug 2011 20:00

Jeffthestrider wrote:Could you give me an example of a piece that exemplifies what you are describing? I change key several times in the piece (minor in the darker parts and major in the lighter parts), so I'm not fully understanding what you mean. So an example would help.

You don't sound like a douche for having an opinion :) I'm pretty sure you have more music theory than me under your belt as well.

Phew, that's a relief! It's always a bit of a coin toss when I critique on the net, as I usually just get hate spewed back at me, but not the case here! Huzzah!

And of course, major/minor was used to great effect!

Okay, these are probably rubbish examples, considering they sound nothing like yours, but these are the first examples I could think of...

This is Liszt's "Un Sospiro" and some shifts in the harmonic world are obvious, shown by the key changes...
But there are some subtle changes in harmonic worlds, such as at 1.22, 2.35 and 3.38 that aren't immediately obvious, but make such an impact! Something like that would make this piece just mind-boggling!

This is the 1st movement to Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra (or part of the 1st movement)...thinking about it, this isn't a good example, because the shifts on harmonic worlds are due to dissonance and lack of key in some places...which is obviously not what you want...:P
But I'll leave it here anyway, as it is a good example of shifts in harmonic worlds! I'm pretty sure only 3 or 4 keys are used in total, but it's written in such a way that you wouldn't know it!

So, in conclusion, I guess I'm saying to think outside the box of typical major/minor, as I imagine that you could get some really good (Nay, Great! Fantabulous!!!) music written if you do!
The music's great regardless, but I, as a classical nazi of doom, think that you're only scratching the surface of what you could potentially do!
I hope that helps!
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Pustulioooooo » 18 Aug 2011 21:49

ZAquanimus wrote:Wellllll
Technically, I was never lurking.

I just get sent here sometimes by my brother Pustulioooooo XD

Yes, It's all true.

And yes, this was very very well done. I especially liked the beginning!
Contact Info/other sites
Projects:
SSE OST
On Deck:
Rainbow Factory Remix 1%
*Spoilers* -
Ballad of the Moon Goddess -
On Hold:
Celestian March (Soviet March Remix) 50%
LOADSAMAGIC -
Poker Night at the Library -
Pustulioooooo