Scratch vs. Octavia (Main Theme Remix)

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Scratch vs. Octavia (Main Theme Remix)

Postby General Mumble » 08 Aug 2011 08:02

Okay, so it could have used more Octavia, I know. This was written under inspiration from the picture involved, so 'Scratch taking over the show is pretty much correct, but admittedly not as cool as it would have been with more Octavia.

Here you go:

Something, something, ponies.
Something, something, friendship.
General Mumble

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Poo

Re: Scratch vs. Octavia (Main Theme Remix)

Postby Makkon » 14 Aug 2011 21:11

Pretty epic, bro! The crowd effects worked well with this, and the dance synth was awesome. It did sound like VS dominated the song though, much to Octavia's dismay.

Your mixing and beats have always been awesome. Any pointers on how you make your beats?
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby General Mumble » 16 Aug 2011 11:11

I know, there's much too much Vinyl in this. I've said to a few others that my excuse is that I had to get it in for the compo real quick, and that I got a little tired and stuff. But really, that's not good enough.

Pointers on how I make beats? Hmm, well as far as THIS song goes, the beats are fairly simple in composition, as you may be able to tell. Sound wise, the drum samples here are probably my favourite that I've used, so I'll be sticking to them for a while.
Because I use FL Studio, I stick the snare through a lot of compressors, sometimes even two or three compressors on the snare channel, it seems to make quite a punch (probably not the most professional way to do it, but whatever). Bass drum usually goes through the Maximus tool thing and tweaked until it sounds nice and beefy (for lack of a better word).

As far as composing a beat goes, I play drums myself, and I guess I just know what sounds good and what doesn't.

Damn these aren't really pointers at all...

I guess I just have an ear for percussion, I dunno. I keep the closed hi-hats quiet, and usually play with the panning on them a lot. Open hihats I'm not sure if I've mastered yet, they normally sound intrusive in my mixes to me... do you think they sound good?

It feels so weird giving pointers to someone who I actually look up to xD

Oh and I switch between speakers, ipod headphones, mega-super-bass headphones, and the giant hipster subwoofer in my car to see how stuff sounds on different devices. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this to some extent.

Sorry for writing so much, I've been away for a week and typing just feels
so
good.
General Mumble

Postby Whitetail » 16 Aug 2011 15:51

Honestly with the vocal lines (which I always attributed to Octavia) I thought the piece was pretty well balanced. I love how you re purposed lyrics from the actual song into an entirely new melody, I've tried that before a few times but failed horribly
Whitetail

Postby General Mumble » 17 Aug 2011 02:52

That's an interesting way of looking at it, actually.

Also yeah, I'm kinda hooked on doing that right now. It's just incredibly satisfying.

Also, thank you c:
General Mumble

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice