Nightmare Moon Double Concerto...thing...

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Nightmare Moon Double Concerto...thing...

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 08 Jul 2011 08:58

So, guitar teaching is done for two weeks, due to the kiddies going on school holiday...which means I have even more time on my hands!

So, I wrote this...

http://soundcloud.com/drdissonance1/nightmare-moon-theme-variation

The opening theme is what you hear when Nightmare Moon shows up in the actual show! The rest is variations of the theme...

So, this is basically a theme and variations on the Nightmare Moon Theme!
It follows Anderson's progressions and such enough, but with the odd change, most notably, emphasizing augmented 5ths whenever I can...:P

It's a Double Concerto because it's scored for String Orchestra, Solo Cello and Solo Harp (lets pretend it's a Lyre)...so, effectively, it could become a Double Concerto starring Octavia and Lyra! If that was the case, this would be the second movement and I'd have to find more themes from the show to use!

Also, here's a fun story: I've been using Sibelius 6 for 2 years...and Garritan's Personal Orchestra for 2 1/2 years...and only now do I find the vsts titled "Lush *insert string instrument here*" which sound so much nicer in tremolo than normal strings! Lovely!

I also had a look at other vsts around the web and OMG! The Vienna Symphonic Library sounds amazing! :shock:

And that's my story...

It's in WiP, because it's probably going to be a movement from a larger work...

Anyway enjoy, I'm going to go drool all over the Vienna Vsts...
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Re: Nightmare Moon Double Concerto...thing...

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 08 Jul 2011 17:09

I REALLY need to get back in music theory so I have enough knowledge to know how to write a concerto. I'd feel a lot smarter if I could lol.
And yeah, Vienna is awesome! The assistant composer to generator X uses vienna and the work he shows me sounds great w/ it. I wish I could afford it (and that my computer could run it). *epic sigh*
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Overkillius » 10 Jul 2011 00:16

That was pretty cool. I like the idea of expanding it into a multi-movement piece, but maybe that is because It is pony related and I love seeing the fandom and fandom creations grow.

Do you need some sort of music education degree to teach guitar? because apparently a music education degree is the only way I'd ever be able to teach voice. (which would be awesome to do once I get out of college)
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 10 Jul 2011 00:53

Overkillius wrote:That was pretty cool. I like the idea of expanding it into a multi-movement piece, but maybe that is because It is pony related and I love seeing the fandom and fandom creations grow.

Do you need some sort of music education degree to teach guitar? because apparently a music education degree is the only way I'd ever be able to teach voice. (which would be awesome to do once I get out of college)

Well, I'm recognised as a University student, so I can teach for instrumental schools, but not for actual schools...education degree is required for actual schools and teachning music theory to kiddies...funnily enough, it's not if you want to teach Uni grade level...

And thanks, I now have the next Sci competition to do and my uni music, so this might take a back seat for a while...:P
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Makkon » 10 Jul 2011 02:46

So a concerto is a full orchestra with a solo instrument? I never knew that. This really is a beautiful arraignment.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 10 Jul 2011 08:00

Makkon wrote:So a concerto is a full orchestra with a solo instrument? I never knew that. This really is a beautiful arraignment.

Pretty much, there are some guidelines involving writing for one, but no one bothers with those anymore...:P

And thanks very much! It's always good when someone with skills such as your's praises work!
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 10 Jul 2011 20:21

I kinda thought concertos were supposed to be random and sometimes borderline "noodley". because if you think about it, can you hum back any concerto you've ever heard? That was my take on the subject anyway lol ^^;
I do so love Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano concerto though, especially the special arrangement I heard played on a Celesta.
You hear it here:

but those a-holes won't pass me the mp3 or sheet music or respond at all. >:c
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 10 Jul 2011 23:32

Bagpipe Brony wrote:I kinda thought concertos were supposed to be random and sometimes borderline "noodley". because if you think about it, can you hum back any concerto you've ever heard? That was my take on the subject anyway lol ^^;
I do so love Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano concerto though, especially the special arrangement I heard played on a Celesta.
You hear it here:
YOUTUBE
but those a-holes won't pass me the mp3 or sheet music or respond at all. >:c

Bummer, I don't have the score for his 3rd Piano Concerto unfortunately...

And yes, here's a basic explanation of the form of a concerto:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/u ... music.html

I was going to say that wikipedia was your friend, but it actually didn't help much...:P
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Overkillius » 11 Jul 2011 01:52

Bagpipe Brony wrote:I kinda thought concertos were supposed to be random and sometimes borderline "noodley". because if you think about it, can you hum back any concerto you've ever heard? That was my take on the subject anyway lol ^^;

Actually Mozart's Piano Concerto #23 KV. 488 in A major (and F# Minor) (I have my favorites memorized because it is the only way to find them in a sea of 600 or so pieces... besides the favorite button and rating systems SHUT UP I LOVE THIS COMPOSER) Is always in my head...
It usually takes about half an hour to hum it through because I get lost in the second movement and have to look at the sheets, but the first and third movement are on my lips constantly. Usually I hum the first phrase of the first movement, skip to the improv solo, finish up first movement, and skip straight to the third movement

Yes I know that is a bit weird, but if you want weird, I might be able to write the third movement down from memory (All the parts. Not just the parts I usually hum).

Edit: For some reason, the video I wanted to post was not working, so I posted this one with a slower tempo and 20% percent less cooler performers (no offense to them). Presto/Allegro Assai is always about a little (suprisingly somewhere near 20%) faster than this recording in my book.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Interrobang Pie » 11 Jul 2011 08:27

Classical music isn't my thing, but this is actually really cool.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 11 Jul 2011 08:59

Interrobang Pie wrote:Classical music isn't my thing, but this is actually really cool.

That's excellent to know, thanks! :D
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice