[pony][orchestra][WIP] Awkward overture(instrumental mashup)

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

[pony][orchestra][WIP] Awkward overture(instrumental mashup)

Postby Familiar Foreigner » 01 Oct 2015 11:33

Obviously inspired by Tsyolin's "Wooden overture", only with AwkwardMarina's songs.

What I've got so far is the "Entropy" and "Sombra's door" parts, their melodies turned into full blown orchestra (as best as I could). I didn't really tie the orchestration to the themes of the songs, which might have been cool, but oh well. It ends in the transition to "Olden pony" (not happy with it right now, will probably change it somehow), and then I guess I'll end with "Anthropology".
I know it's kinda crude sometimes, and I'll try to do proper mastering when I'm done, but I'd love some opinions/suggestions on what I've

https://soundcloud.com/familiar-foreigner/awkward-overture-wip1
Call me FF.
Familiar Foreigner

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: Quill & G-cleff

Re: [pony][orchestra][WIP] Awkward overture(instrumental mas

Postby Thunder Dash » 01 Oct 2015 20:19

Whoa...watch those transitions dude. They are very awkward and really...there's no hint before the change that you are going to change to a different style. Plus, I don't think a snare would work at 0:12, the harp and strings go perfect together without the snare. I suggest adding a soft timpani roll right before that section in order to smooth out that transition. 0:22 is another place. I suggest you add low brass a few beats before the change so that way you can lead into the change. Again, the added percussion takes away from the style, especially with the sounds you have running through. I suggest you put crescendoing timpani rolls on every third beat following your progressional patterns. The last major transition, which is at 0:53-0:54, could use a ritardando or a gradual slow-down.

Your chord usage and melody variations were a bit better on this piece, but they still could use a bit of work. In the beginning of the piece, you had a nice solo flute running, but I wish it was a tad longer. Maybe add a secondary harmonizing flute that runs through a progression of

i-i-III-iv-VII-V-i

Also, the first transitional progression should go something like this

...VII-i-III-iv

You should end on the iv, since that's the next section you have. Remember, add a smooth transition to that area because as of now, it's really awkward.

In that second section, you limited yourself to the iv and the III, which is a weird combination of two chords. Perhaps you could've stuck in the "Carol of the Bells" progression, like this:

iv-III-bII-I

This progression is according to c minor still, but it starts from the iv as you can see. The "b" means flat. So if you could expand that section with the harp and strings, this is the progression I suggest you do. To transition to the section after that, I suggest you hit the inverted i, preferably second inversion, wear the chord looks like this:

G-C-Eb

From there, return to a V7 (which you'll have an F in the middle of the chord) then resolve.

Alternative, you can hang around the V, like what you did, because you can easily access an inverted version of the i chord from any inversion of the V chord.

Other than that, everything else is pretty good. Remember, you can always message me if there's anything you don't understand.
Thunder Dash

Primary: Presonus Studio One 4 Artist
Cutie Mark: Piano

Postby NightmareRare » 25 Oct 2015 22:30

I thought the chords worked well personally but I gotta agree with thunder about your transitions, particularly at the beginning. You could probably get away with a stark transition like that later on in the song when the energy's higher but during the intro/1st verse it feels to jarring to drop so much in so fast, like thunder mentioned try to lead more next time. Not only will it glue everything together better but it can help push the energy/emotion of the track higher. Side note you've been getting much better since the first song of yours I listened to about a year ago! Great job man :)
Hayden Wired
Twitter Time!
Facebook Friend Machine!
---
" I never fell apart because I guess I never really fell together."
- Andy Warhol
NightmareRare

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Cup of Coffee

Postby Familiar Foreigner » 03 Nov 2015 14:30

Thanks a lot for the comments. :)

How can I lead better into the transitions? I'm not very good with music theory, so I'm not sure how to go about it.
Call me FF.
Familiar Foreigner

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: Quill & G-cleff

Postby Thunder Dash » 03 Nov 2015 19:56

Familiar Foreigner wrote:Thanks a lot for the comments. :)

How can I lead better into the transitions? I'm not very good with music theory, so I'm not sure how to go about it.

Here, I can tutor you in all that you need. We can do this over Skype or PM here if you'd like.
Thunder Dash

Primary: Presonus Studio One 4 Artist
Cutie Mark: Piano

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice