(Non-Pony)(Queenstons remix)

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

(Non-Pony)(Queenstons remix)

Postby DragonFire » 10 Aug 2015 15:39

DragonFire

Primary: Fl Studio 12
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: (Non-Pony)(Queenstons remix)

Postby Triple_B » 16 Aug 2015 03:32

DragonFire wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htMeUrv7LFQ&spfreload=10

Hmm, alrighty.

Oooh, I love that pickup of the vocal. Also, right away it seems like your kick/snare aren't snapping through the mix - this is actually prevalent throughout the song, however it is most noticeable to me right in the beginning. (See below)

at 1:20 or so you drop datbass, (as the kids say) and while your sound design seems to be progressing well, (particularly those lovely chords over the drop- good job!) I will say this - I don't know where you're cutting your basses off at in the lows, but a general rule of thumb is around 65Hz is a good place to highpass them, so that your subbass has room to get it's groove on, so to speak. Room to breathe, I guess would be a good way to put it. This is also a little prevalent throughout the rest of the song, but less so, as your bassline has a nice bass thump to it. I like to highpass everything at a minimum of 50Hz (BUT THIS IS NOT A RULE!! JUST MY HABITS!) and lowpass the subbass itself at about 70-100Hz ish, depending on the sub and what genre and what I'm going for and yadda, yadda, etc, etc.

That's really all I have to say. I lied.

Your drums sound really quiet and weak in the mix, I'd recommend a little more compression and EQ, and when you go to do your final mix - I would start by isolating the drums, making them sound how you want them, and then bringing the rest of the instruments up in the mix, from there, starting with the most subtle.

So like, Drums (Kick, snare, hats, random perc) > Atmospheric FX-y stuff > Pads > Soft leads/chords/arps (if there's a riff besides the main hook) > Bassline > Prominent melody/hook

That's more-or-less how I like to do it. I think purplefridge taught me that, I think. Years and YEARS ago in the Rainbow & Rooted chat, haha...

Other than those small things - this track is pretty great! Even if it is tragically short :c I wanted to hear more!! *Whines*

Good job! :3

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention - the vocal is mixed very well. Nice and prominent in the mix, like it should be! That deserves some due praise :)
10/15/2014 - I finally return to ponies? Maybe.

Actually it was more like 10/12/2015

My current SoundCloud, pony & non-pony things found here.

I have 4 EP's under this alias!

Somepony talk to me, I are the lonelies. :c
Triple_B

Primary: Ableton Live Suite 8.2
Cutie Mark: EDM History!

Re: (Non-Pony)(Queenstons remix)

Postby DragonFire » 16 Aug 2015 11:23

Thanks a lot, mixing seems to be my weakest point right now, but I feel that I'm progressing rather quickly.
Thanks for the feedback!! *squee
DragonFire

Primary: Fl Studio 12
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice