Andy Feelin' covers Eurobeat Brony - Luna

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Andy Feelin' covers Eurobeat Brony - Luna

Postby Andy Feelin » 29 Aug 2011 13:23

I am not the only one who has covered this song (which is one of the best pony-related songs so far). So I decided to publish my cover version here.

Bronies, I don't need cheers. As much productive critisism as possible is what I need!
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Re: Andy Feelin' covers Eurobeat Brony - Luna

Postby Makkon » 29 Aug 2011 13:28

Holy crap, did you sing for this one too?

I don't have any critique to offer, other than there are a few chords that are not accurate to the original, but otherwise this is quite a sturdy piece.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Versilaryan » 29 Aug 2011 13:40

For the verse/prechorus, you're missing the major 6th that he sings -- the chord progression has an Ab major chord there and not an Ab minor like you'd normally expect, and it adds a really unique flavor to the progression. But it's not 100% necessary -- just something I really liked about the original. >.>

In the beginning, I thought the bass was a little too loud and the synth playing the melody wasn't prominent enough. It got better after the vocals came in, though.

Speaking of vocals, if you plan on singing more, you really should work on phrasing a little more. Eurobeat Brony strikes a /really/ odd balance between mechanical and emotional singing, and trying to emulate that style a little too much ends up making you sound fake and robotic. Something that'd help A LOT is connecting your words a little more. You have little spaces between almost all of your words, so each word sounds like its own phrase, which isn't true. So work on connecting the words in your vocals a little more and focusing on the overarching phrase of the whole line, and not on the individual notes.

You also swallow a few of your notes -- when you sing "heart" at the end of the chorus, it sounds like the sound is resonating in the back of your throat, which is not where it should resonate. It's really tempting to sing like that when you sing higher, but if you focus on projecting your sound outwards and having it resonate as high in your mouth as you can (in the sinuses and not in your throat), it will actually improve your high range A LOT.

Overall, thoughts? It's an interesting interpretation on the song, even if you didn't change too much about it. I liked your sounds in the beginning with the piano and strings -- it sounded a lot more twinkle-y and I think that really fits with the moon-and-stars theme the song has.

You could do more to help break it up, though. That drum pattern and bass groove stayed the same for almost literally the entire song, and that kinda made it stale. Yes, Eurobeat Brony does that a lot, but he also adds a ton of little background sounds here and there and messes with the song's texture to break things up a bit.
Versilaryan

Postby Andy Feelin » 29 Aug 2011 14:10

Makkon wrote:Holy crap, did you sing for this one too?

Not sure if I understand what you mean...

Versilaryan wrote:For the verse/prechorus, you're missing the major 6th that he sings -- the chord progression has an Ab major chord there and not an Ab minor like you'd normally expect, and it adds a really unique flavor to the progression. But it's not 100% necessary -- just something I really liked about the original. >.>

In fact this was the thing I disliked about the original - I changed the chord on purpose. But this is just the matter of taste. I did this cover mainly for myself just because I wanted to listen to it with Ab minor chord.

Versilaryan wrote:Speaking of vocals, if you plan on singing more...

Wow that was really long and helpful advice! Thanks. Yes I am not a professional singer, but may be I am going to take vocal lessons someday... This is really a challenge. Everyone can produce instrumental music on FL but not everyone can sing!
(Or may be I'd better hire other singers for my songs... :roll: )

BTW I need more comments about my accent.

Anyway thanks to you all for comments!
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby SeanNH94 » 30 Aug 2011 21:11

I would suggest getting those voice lessons. You have a god start, but your vowels and support are not so great. Great job on emulating the Eurobeat Brony sound though!
SeanNH94

Postby Facade » 30 Aug 2011 21:44

o.o amazing though like sean said great start but needs work on vocals
other then that amazing work
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice