Discussion: Bravest Warriors Music Contest

Current events we're participating in.

Discussion: Bravest Warriors Music Contest

Postby JSynth » 21 Mar 2014 08:05

So, yesterday Cartoon Hangover posted this video.

Its sounds like a cool thing to do, but then there was this in the description:

Cartoon Hangover wrote:In order to submit you will be required to agree to the following:

Your track is 100% original and features music, sound, and voices created and owned by you.

By submitting, you are not guaranteed to be selected for the soundtrack album.

If selected, you understand that Frederator will purchase your track for $250 and you will not make any more money from the song.

If selected, Frederator will own your track in perpetuity, and you will give up all rights to ownership and control of the song.

You give up your rights to claim that other songs that Frederator chooses may be similar to yours.

By submitting, you agree to sign a contract if your song is chosen by Frederator. If the song is written by more than one person, every writer will have to sign.

So what do you guys think of this? Is it a worthy challenge, or should it be avoided at all costs?
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Re: Discussion: Bravest Warriors Music Contest

Postby Stuntddude » 21 Mar 2014 08:33

I would say it should be avoided. It's a reasonable thing for them to assume some or most rights to the songs that are chosen, but there should always be a part in there that at least guarantees they will always credit you as the artist. Also, agreeing to sign a contract at a later date when you don't know the exact contents of the contract are right now should be a major red flag.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Re: Discussion: Bravest Warriors Music Contest

Postby CitricAcid » 21 Mar 2014 08:45

$250 for what sounds like exclusive usage rights and no backend perks is chicken feed. Make it $2500 and then we'll talk. If I retained the rights and royalties, then sure I'd gladly give a non-exclusive license for $250.

But hey, this is a contest, not a job offer. $250 sounds like a lot more money to the kids they're probably appealing to, so it's probably worth it to them.

Stuntddude wrote:Also, agreeing to sign a contract at a later date when you don't know the exact contents of the contract are right now should be a major red flag.

Also this.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events