Looking for feedback on a potential challege event

Current events we're participating in.

Looking for feedback on a potential challege event

Postby the4thImpulse » 26 Jul 2013 10:27

I have been thinking about this idea for a while now, a sort of challenge/event thing that could potentially be made into a small EP or possibly a fun sized album.

I'm thinking of of creating an entire song via midi, all drums/synths/sequencing is done with midi rather any audio clips, and then sharing that song with a few other people and then we all add our own VST's and samplers to those midi notes. The idea is to have the exact same arrangement (including drums) but hopefully have a completely different 'sound' to it. You can't remove, modify, or add to any of the midi, not including automation.

I haven't thought much about what the song would be like (genre/complexity).

I want to get feedback on this basic idea before I start anything, I obviously really like the idea but if it sounds like the stupidest thing ever please tell me (or if it has been done before).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Looking for feedback on a potential challege event

Postby simonli2575 » 26 Jul 2013 10:40

Seems interesting, though with the same arrangement again and again, making it into a big album might make the tracks sound one-note.

No suggestions from me, I can't think of any.
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 26 Jul 2013 12:25

I would participate, for sure. If nothing else, it'd show the differences in how people think in terms of sound design.

Has it been done before? Well look at the horde of beyond her garden "remixes" :P
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Symphon » 26 Jul 2013 12:34

What if you get a list of participants, and once you got that, each participant makes a track like this where it's just the MIDI. And THEN, you take all of the MIDI's and give them to another random participant. That way, you have many different songs, but the same concept.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby the4thImpulse » 26 Jul 2013 12:45

simonli2575 wrote:Seems interesting, though with the same arrangement again and again, making it into a big album might make the tracks sound one-note.

I am thinking of a smaller EP sized album, I think at most 4 versions of the same midi song would be enough.

Maybe we could have a few different song genres and create a bigger album, if we get enough participants that is.

eery wrote:Im assuming we can change bpm though?

You could, but changing it would very likely have a bad effect on the song sounding too slow or fast.. I'm not really seeing the benefit in changing the speed.

Symphon wrote:What if you get a list of participants, and once you got that, each participant makes a track like this where it's just the MIDI. And THEN, you take all of the MIDI's and give them to another random participant. That way, you have many different songs, but the same concept.

The planning/coordination to make that happen efficiently and effectively would be more than what I would want to handle. I am thinking of just having a smaller group of more talented artists who, for the most part, have found their 'sound'.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I want to keep them coming before I make any commitments to the idea and make the legit post for the event.
the4thImpulse

Postby Ocular » 26 Jul 2013 12:53

I don't really see how this would be a good idea. If I'm reading this correctly, basically every song will be the same song, with just different synth patches. Especially if you can't change the BPM or modify the MIDI at all. I would find it really difficult to apply my own style to something like this.
inactive
Ocular

Postby Nine Volt » 26 Jul 2013 13:07

I don't see a reason not to at least try, as long as the midi isn't shit.
Nine Volt

Postby Freewave » 26 Jul 2013 13:52

TheOcularInvisible wrote:I don't really see how this would be a good idea. If I'm reading this correctly, basically every song will be the same song, with just different synth patches. Especially if you can't change the BPM or modify the MIDI at all. I would find it really difficult to apply my own style to something like this.

While I would expect they will be a bit similar my recommendations for making this an event would be:

1. Participants should pick the genre they are doing in advance and claim it (ie reserved). So one dusbtep version, one trance, one electro house, one drum & bass, etc. That way we won't have the same genre for the same track at least. You can easily get 15 or 20 genres if you allow people to reserve them.

2. The particpants are allowed to change bpm and move sections around.

3. People can use short samples (kicks, hats, drums, horns, striings)

But i think as long as you follow some of the ideas above you should have enough variety.

Question i now have is if we do something like this can we decide on a title and theme? Since we're essentially remixing the same (unreleased) song it may be completely different in theme and focus (ie pony) and would be even more so if someone did vocals and lyrics too....sticking with one title and theme would prob need to be a necessity.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Nine Volt » 26 Jul 2013 14:04

I call prog house
Nine Volt

Postby Freewave » 26 Jul 2013 14:15

the4thImpulse wrote:I am thinking of a smaller EP sized album, I think at most 4 versions of the same midi song would be enough.

Maybe we could have a few different song genres and create a bigger album, if we get enough participants that is.

You could, but changing it would very likely have a bad effect on the song sounding too slow or fast.. I'm not really seeing the benefit in changing the speed.

The planning/coordination to make that happen efficiently and effectively would be more than what I would want to handle. I am thinking of just having a smaller group of more talented artists who, for the most part, have found their 'sound'.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I want to keep them coming before I make any commitments to the idea and make the legit post for the event.

Actually it looks like 4th was wanting this to be an ep length and choose the artists, have the drums chosen, keep a bpm, and not have this be an open ALBUM EVENT. If that's the case that's fine as he can choose how he wants to run it. If he's willing to reconsider then my recommendations stand.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby the4thImpulse » 26 Jul 2013 14:22

Freewave wrote:1. Participants should pick the genre they are doing in advance and claim it (ie reserved). So one dusbtep version, one trance, one electro house, one drum & bass, etc. That way we won't have the same genre for the same track at least. You can easily get 15 or 20 genres if you allow people to reserve them.

2. The particpants are allowed to change bpm and move sections around.

3. People can use short samples (kicks, hats, drums, horns, striings)

But i think as long as you follow some of the ideas above you should have enough variety.

Question i now have is if we do something like this can we decide on a title and theme? Since we're essentially remixing the same (unreleased) song it may be completely different in theme and focus (ie pony) and would be even more so if someone did vocals and lyrics too....sticking with one title and theme would prob need to be a necessity.

1. My initial plans were hosting an event much smaller, at least to try out initially. If there are many people who want to participate then we will need a system like that to make sure the album has some variety and balance.

2. I had no problem with BPM changing, but if the song has to stay rigid then I don;t much use in changing BPMs as it would only really make it slower or faster. I have to think more about letting people move sections around.

3. Meaning people can add in whatever samples they want/need to make their own track more unique? I think I can work something like that in.

It would all have the same theme, it being the same song with different sounds applied, I haven't thought much yet about a vocalist, that could be worked in.

TheOcularInvisible wrote: basically every song will be the same song, with just different synth patches.

That is the basic idea of it, its not a remix competition in the traditional sense, its not about applying your own musical style/genre to an already released song. Its more about applying your 'sound' to the exact same song as someone else.

I may not have been clear enough in saying that its my vision to do this with as few people as possible, I was thinking of having no more than 4 versions total. It's only ever been a thought in my mind, I am still forming the framework.
the4thImpulse

Postby Motivfs » 26 Jul 2013 17:27

I think it's a simplistic, fun idea, I think you imagining it only have 4 people though is a little concerning, as this seems like a fun little challenge that I would believe lots of people would be interested in. I also think you should be allowed to change the BPM, add more variety and not just all be one genre with YOUR sounds. It would also leave more room for a bit more creativity and more participants.
Motivfs

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 01 Aug 2013 23:04

I'm willing to give this a shot. It could be fun. I would like to experience something like this.
Bronies Are Cool

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby Fimbulin » 02 Aug 2013 05:40

Not tweaking the midi would be bad for legato kontakt instruments.

%I
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby Aequus » 03 Aug 2013 21:09

This sounds like a good idea!

(if we're claiming genres i've got tech-house)
Aequus

Primary: FL 10 & 11
Cutie Mark: Raw Potato

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events