★☆★☆★ Community Sourced Sampling Event ★☆★☆★

Current events we're participating in.

★☆★☆★ Community Sourced Sampling Event ★☆★☆★

Postby senntenial » 01 Jan 2013 17:39

Heya! So I've been doing some guideline-writing, and I think It's time I unveil another project - Community Sourced Sampling.

Basically, the idea is all you kids at home get out your microphones and record some instruments, be they guitars, violins, neat-o synths, or even hybrid instruments. The goal of this project is to have high quality and free samples that either did not exist before, or were only available in expensive libraries.

Submit samples to http://www.senntenial.com/#!submissions/c1qvw

The engine that will handle the sampling will be Kontakt 5. Although I understand many of us do not have the software, it is the only program I am versed it, though I would be belated to have any help converting the samples into formats for programs such as DirectWave.

Here are the basic rules. You can find a copy of these on my website. PLEASE read them before starting anything.

CRITERIA TO READ BEFORE SUBMISSION:

Please do not waste time making sloppy samples. I understand that most community members do not have a recording studio, but OBVIOUS background noise will make a sample unusable. Please record at the highest quality that you can - this means that you will need a good quality microphone; samples recorded off of a poor sounding laptop speaker will not be accepted.

Samples should also contain only sounds that should be in the instrument. That means that any interludes of talking or extended silences must be removed or fixed before submission. I plan to only only in Kontakt, and have to do no sample editing. In other words, make it as easy as you can for me by properly preparing your samples for assignments.

Please try to think creatively and make samples that cannot be easily found, or samples that are usually only available for purchase. This includes essentially any orchestral instrument, especially strings, or any quirky instrument (E.g., my bowed guitar.)

AGREEMENT: By sending in these samples you agree that:

1: Your samples may be distributed for FREE on my website, or any other site that decides to upload them.

2: Your samples will be credited to you and all involved parties.

3: Your samples may have ads involved. I understand this may be the most difficult rule, as it would seem I am gaining profit at your samples, but maintaining this site costs ~$50+ U.S. dollars a year, and in a five month period I have gained $0.70 in advertisements.

4: You agree that the samples will be free for the community to use, modify, distribute, or even sell in songs/modified libraries, with proper attribution.

5: You agree that you cannot charge anyone for using your sample libraries, or prohibit anyone from using them.

6: Your samples will be released under the Creative-Commons Attribution license, which basically states that your work can be shared and adapted for personal or commercial use.

7. You agree that your samples must be your own work, or someone else's modified work with proper attribution. You also agree that the software that you used to make these samples is a legitimate copy and pirating software was not involved. (I'm really an advocate against pirating, but I know 99% of the community doesn't have legitimate software... so I mean there is no way for me to know if you don't tell me... ;)

---
In short, if you are going to participate, spend time and effort and only submit your best work. Create something that others want to use.
---

HOW TO SAMPLE

Although you may have a separate file for each note/whatever you are sampling, it is much easier to have 10-20 samples contained within each file, and then for those samples to be split within Kontakt. If you have multiple files that contain groups of samples, please label them "<Instrument name> lo, <instrument name> mid, <instrument name> hi", or something to that effect.

If you are sampling drums, I would prefer that each category of sound be a separate sample, for instance, group kicks into one file, hats in another, etc.

If you require any additional information, please kontakt me through PM.

SUBMISSIONS MUST BE A ZIP OR RAR FILE HOSTED ON A 3RD PARTY SITE AND THEN LINKED TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS THROUGH THE CONTACT FORUM - http://www.senntenial.com/#!submissions/c1qvw

This is my first time doing anything of this sort, so if you have any suggestions, please add them!

This event will hopefully be an ongoing thing, so you have all the time in the world.
Last edited by senntenial on 28 Jan 2013 22:20, edited 5 times in total.
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Re: Community Sourced Sampling Event

Postby LFP » 01 Jan 2013 17:47

This sounds like a really nice idea!
What about drum sounding stuff though (say I smash a book onto my floor), or do you prefer instruments only?
Last edited by LFP on 01 Jan 2013 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby senntenial » 01 Jan 2013 17:48

Anything that makes sound is welcome.
senntenial
Global Moderator

Postby Symphon » 01 Jan 2013 18:02

If I get my microphone soon, I'm -definitely- doing this.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby Omnomnomnom » 02 Jan 2013 18:30

Okay, I have an old clarinet (standard Bb, Boehm, soprano, Buffet R13, you get the idea), and MIGHT sample it once I get a new mic soon.

Ah, but IRL stuff is such a pain :P

On the quirkier side of things, one of my family members has an asian-flute-thingy, an asian Pi Pa, etc., because my entire family is asian. Never seen one of those things sampled before; might be worth a try if I've got the time.
I'm always half-asleep, and I hate dubstep.
Also, you know that other, way more awesome Nomnom guy who shows up on EQD sometimes? THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.
We just happen to have similar pseudonyms.
Omnomnomnom

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 02 Jan 2013 18:37

Sample my slide whistle? Sample my slide whistle.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Conduit » 02 Jan 2013 19:01

How deep would you like this to be sampled?

If you're up for coding I could make some cello percussion (hitting the back or sides) along with a couple fx type things with 4 times round robin and 4 velocity layers.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Sonarch » 02 Jan 2013 19:15

I'm interested! I'll report back when I obtain a quality mic.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby senntenial » 02 Jan 2013 20:14

Flatflish wrote:How deep would you like this to be sampled?

If you're up for coding I could make some cello percussion (hitting the back or sides) along with a couple fx type things with 4 times round robin and 4 velocity layers.

I think Kontakt supports group switching that would allow for different articulations, but if I can't there's an awesome free set of script banks called SIPS (Solo Instrument Performance Suite) that allows different articulations and round robins that I used lightly in the Bowed Guitar Instrument on my site.

It's actually a set of AMAZING scripts for the price which is free.

The more samples the better! A Cello would be fantastic - some actual string notes would be great too if you have the time.
--------------
Just a reminder to everyone - sustained notes (notes that will continue to play as long as the key is pressed) Require samples that have looped sections that are around 5+ seconds in length to work properly - it is a glitch of Kontakt 5 that I have not found a solution for yet. (I'll put this in the body)

Also, if you are doing a synth instrument, you do not need a sample for each note due to file sizes. If you look here at this SuperSaw instrument I made, I created a sample for every other half-step, and stretched it across to fill a step.
Keep in mind though that these shortcuts do not sound good past skipping 2 or 3 notes.
-----
Also, if you're versed in KSP, kontakt me if you'd like to help with the scripting parts :)
senntenial
Global Moderator

Postby senntenial » 15 Jan 2013 22:38

Sorry for bumping, but I'd like to give this thread another chance before falling into the abyss.
senntenial
Global Moderator

Re: ★☆★☆★ Community Sourced Sampling Event ★☆★☆★

Postby the4thImpulse » 15 Jan 2013 22:50

Its a fine idea putting together a sample library for our community but the big problem I see is that most people here don't have the proper tools for worthwhile sampling. Also not everyone has kontact, or maybe its just me who doesn't have kontact, so maybe it would be best just to make a regular sample folder, just straight audio for whatever purpose the artist has in mind.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby CDPP » 15 Jan 2013 23:51

On a side note, /r/edmproduction requested a similar thing too. So if you're uploading samples here, you might want to contribute to this thread as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/c ... t_well_all
CDPP

Postby Ducks Unlimited » 16 Jan 2013 21:12

Bagpipe samples goooooooooo!!!!
I quack at you! P-quack!
http://soundcloud.com/ducksunlimited
Ducks Unlimited

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Democracy

Postby senntenial » 16 Jan 2013 23:26

the4thImpulse wrote:Its a fine idea putting together a sample library for our community but the big problem I see is that most people here don't have the proper tools for worthwhile sampling. Also not everyone has kontact, or maybe its just me who doesn't have kontact, so maybe it would be best just to make a regular sample folder, just straight audio for whatever purpose the artist has in mind.

I do plan on releasing the plain samples. I know that not everyone has Kontakt, but 1: it does seem to be industry standard software 2: It offers versatility not available in other samplers 3: It's simple and quick to assemble a library 4: I don't own any other samplers.

Soundfonts are just absolutely terrible, but if someone could help me convert to other formats such as DirectWave, that would be great, since I know a ton of people own that when they got FLStudio.
senntenial
Global Moderator

Postby Rainbow_Rage » 18 Jan 2013 11:13

Hmm, this could be a nice relaxing project. I'll try recording some if I can find a few hours to myself.
Rainbow_Rage

Postby BassClef -DatPoni- » 22 Jan 2013 11:14

Trombone time
And ill do my guitars if no one else has
DAW: Ableton Suit 8
VST: Massive, Kontakt (symphobia, orchestral brass classsic, cineharp, emotional piano) and absynth (rarely)

Genres: dubstep, DnB.

current projects: none just finished em all
BassClef -DatPoni-

Postby senntenial » 27 Jan 2013 19:09

Hey guys, we got our first bank from Cyrricky, who sampled a Leap Frog Twist and Shout toy to make various useful number thingy-things!
Image Awesome image made by Cyrricky. I even made a cool GUI - Image
Give a listen to it used in a song and then with effects - https://soundcloud.com/senntenialweb/cyrricky-twist-and-shout

Wanna download? Look here! http://www.senntenial.com/#!kontakt/cl89

This is some motivation I guess, because look at the awesome stuff we can make!
This stuff looks really professional.
senntenial
Global Moderator

Postby Omnomnomnom » 27 Jan 2013 21:15

An amazingly professional look on that new bank!

Just an idea: maybe you could put links to all the banks on the original post, as a convenient list? It'd make it easier for people to nab anything we may have to offer. I know everything is already on your site, but, hey, why not.
I'm always half-asleep, and I hate dubstep.
Also, you know that other, way more awesome Nomnom guy who shows up on EQD sometimes? THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.
We just happen to have similar pseudonyms.
Omnomnomnom

Postby Ptepix » 28 Jan 2013 01:06

So say I was to create some dubstep bass samples that are pretty intense...do I HAVE to record off of a mic? Or can I export the sound as a middle C for a sustain of like 10 secs?
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby senntenial » 28 Jan 2013 13:13

What do you mean? From what I gather you are asking if samples can be electronically produced, or if they must be recorded on a mic - the answer would be that any audio file that you have made is acceptable, regardless of the method made to obtain it. Just make sure it's really quality, especially for dubstep stuff!
senntenial
Global Moderator

Postby senntenial » 28 Jan 2013 13:14

Omnomnomnom wrote:An amazingly professional look on that new bank!

Just an idea: maybe you could put links to all the banks on the original post, as a convenient list? It'd make it easier for people to nab anything we may have to offer. I know everything is already on your site, but, hey, why not.

Almost forgot! List is here - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6839

thanks!
senntenial
Global Moderator

Postby Ptepix » 28 Jan 2013 14:17

Ok cool thanks :D
Just post em here?
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby senntenial » 28 Jan 2013 14:47

There's a link in the OP that says where to post 'em :) remember to read the rules too.
senntenial
Global Moderator

Postby Ptepix » 28 Jan 2013 14:52

Ok right lol sorry XD
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby senntenial » 28 Jan 2013 22:19

I've figured out what is causing the glitch that makes Kontakt stop looping. It takes a bit more effort, but you can now have a continuous instrument work properly with any length sample.
senntenial
Global Moderator

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events