My Little Mashup Competition (Idea)

Current events we're participating in.

My Little Mashup Competition (Idea)

Postby Tremil » 14 Apr 2012 17:26

This is an idea for a competition im wanting to hold.

Name: My Little Mashup Competition

Info: The basic idea is to have a contest between mashup artists old or new.. Submit your mashup by the Due date and after the due date there will be a public vote. There will be two winners. A winner chosen by the public vote and a winner chosen by me personally. For the personal vote you will be given scores on topics such as,
Pitch- (1 to 10), Awkwardness- (0 to 10 a 0 being non which is best), Timing- (1 to 10), and Feel (1 to 10). the scores will have descriptions as to why i chose the score i chose in detail beside it. (Dates will be added in final version but im looking at having it as a month long competition)

Rules:

1. It can only use MLP related elements. Use acapellas and instrumentals either from the show or from the brony community.

2. Dont make a mix. Keep it as one mashup. By this i mean the songs have to be together. You can't just transfer different songs into eachother. (EX: one song plays for a certain amount of time then fades into another song).

3. You can put many songs together for the mashup or it can be a simple A+B mashup. Just keep within the time limit of being no longer than 10 minutes.

4.Do not add original elements to any of your vocals or instrumentals. Manipulating the vocals and instrumentals (EX: cutting, volume changes, changing pitch or speed etc..) are acceptable but no adding your own instruments or vocals.

(Rules may be added or changed in finished version)

Why are you hosting it?: Before i became a brony i had already been doing mashups for 5+ years. I love to hear other peoples works and mashups. I am very picky when it comes to doing a well done mashup (I even get upset at myself for some of my old works) so i know what to look for. I wont have a prize but it still will be fun.

Where i need your help. : Before i host this competition I need to set up a few things such as a place to poll. If you know of a good way or place to set up a poll like this please tell me. Also another reason im posting this before I host it is that I need to know if there are going to be enough people joining the competition or going to vote to know if it's worth having. So please tell me of what you think of the idea and tell me if you may join or are willing to vote when its all over.
Last edited by Tremil on 17 Apr 2012 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Tremil

Re: My Little Mashup Competition (Idea)

Postby Freewave » 14 Apr 2012 18:09

Sounds like a cool idea. I don't see a load of mash-ups done by the community so this would be a cool idea to get some more support. I take it that you are looking for new creations vs a mash-up that I may have been made and released prior right? So this going to be mash-ups (generally at least 2 tracks going at one time on top of each other) vs plunderphonics (unauthorized samples coming in and out but not generally on top of each other, ie Paul's Boutique or M\a\R\R\S with pony samples) is that correct or incorrect?
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Tremil » 14 Apr 2012 20:05

DJ Pon-3 wrote:Sounds like a cool idea. I don't see a load of mash-ups done by the community so this would be a cool idea to get some more support. I take it that you are looking for new creations vs a mash-up that I may have been made and released prior right? So this going to be mash-ups (generally at least 2 tracks going at one time on top of each other) vs plunderphonics (unauthorized samples coming in and out but not generally on top of each other, ie Paul's Boutique or M\a\R\R\S with pony samples) is that correct or incorrect?

If i read that right (im a little confused by the wording) .. Correct. Im looking for mashups. Not plunderphonics. (which is from what i understand, sampling other work in your own original creation)
Please correct me if i read wrong.
Tremil

Postby Freewave » 16 Apr 2012 10:30

Tremil wrote:
DJ Pon-3 wrote:Sounds like a cool idea. I don't see a load of mash-ups done by the community so this would be a cool idea to get some more support. I take it that you are looking for new creations vs a mash-up that I may have been made and released prior right? So this going to be mash-ups (generally at least 2 tracks going at one time on top of each other) vs plunderphonics (unauthorized samples coming in and out but not generally on top of each other, ie Paul's Boutique or M\a\R\R\S with pony samples) is that correct or incorrect?

If i read that right (im a little confused by the wording) .. Correct. Im looking for mashups. Not plunderphonics. (which is from what i understand, sampling other work in your own original creation)

Well one thing i did which likely fits the "don't make a mix" is this track I made awhile back...

which was about taking a load of different existing tracks and having them go back and forth with pony samples the piggy dance as the main vocal portion around it. This isn't something you're looking for? Correct?

The best pony mash-up I've seen is this

Keisha and Being Popular mash-up is this what you are look for (acapella vocals added to a single instrumental), or are you wanting to keep all the material Free DIY pony stuff and nothing copyrighted (mixing a Wooden Toaster track over a Jackleapp track)?
Freewave

Postby Tremil » 16 Apr 2012 16:19

DJ Pon-3 wrote:
Tremil wrote:

Well one thing i did which likely fits the "don't make a mix" is this track I made awhile back...
-Video snip-
which was about taking a load of different existing tracks and having them go back and forth with pony samples the piggy dance as the main vocal portion around it. This isn't something you're looking for? Correct?

The best pony mash-up I've seen is this
-Video snip-
Keisha and Being Popular mash-up is this what you are look for (acapella vocals added to a single instrumental), or are you wanting to keep all the material Free DIY pony stuff and nothing copyrighted (mixing a Wooden Toaster track over a Jackleapp track)?

Correct. You can use more than one source though. As long as the MLP content is more dominate in it... Actually with what you said . Maybe i should just make it MLP only stuff (either from the show or the community) because that would be way more interesting and would be easier to understand.

-will update/edit rules soon-
Tremil

Postby Tremil » 17 Apr 2012 13:35

I've updated the rules.
Tremil

Postby FlyingNinjaBannanas » 04 May 2012 20:30

If you did this, I'd so be in. I used to do mashups quite often, they were shit, but now I know I could do better.
[Insert pointless filler here]
FlyingNinjaBannanas

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Jack of All Trades

Postby prettiestPony » 05 May 2012 01:22

I make mash-ups now and again. I'd be interested.
prettiestPony

Postby Freewave » 05 May 2012 09:41

ok so we can use show dialogue or tracks and / or mashup with various other brony music, correct? no mainstream music is to be mashed up with anything (skrillex, keisha, etc), correct?
Freewave

Postby Tremil » 05 May 2012 14:21

DJ Pon-3 wrote:ok so we can use show dialogue or tracks and / or mashup with various other brony music, correct? no mainstream music is to be mashed up with anything (skrillex, keisha, etc), correct?
Correct
Tremil

Postby Freewave » 05 May 2012 14:53

i'm down with this
Freewave

Postby Tremil » 05 May 2012 17:00

DJ Pon-3 wrote:i'm down with this

Great. If people keep joining like this. Then all i have to do is set up a poll system eventually. A place to set up where you can submit and then eventually vote.. If anyone could help me with that that would be Great. Keep joining people .Getting closer and closer to a point where this can get up and running with contestants. Then we can spread word to get voters and or more contestants.
Tremil

Postby Freewave » 05 May 2012 17:55

just a thought, if you talk to sci you can see if you have mashups be a theme of the week for Toast Beard or as a special event with possibly even a longer deadline than the normal week they give us. they have a live sync cast where everyone listens on what was made, a voting system via their website, and an already built in group of adventerous people who contribute and listen. i think it could be a win-win especially if we only get a trickle of participants in here. just a thought as if you get his help that could give this all the push it needs.
Freewave

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events