Possible Idea for Bronycon

Current events we're participating in.

Possible Idea for Bronycon

Postby Navron » 03 Apr 2012 08:07

Some of you have likely already heard my pitch before, but for those that haven't, here's the idea:

With this Bronycon likely going to be the largest, along with a high number of musicians that will attend, here's a chance for the musicians of the community to do a giant collaboration for a particular genre that otherwise hasn't been touched by the community, mainly due to the scale it has to be.

What I am talking about of course, is the musical/stage act/carnival/vaudeville type of performance. A couple good examples would be:

Yeah...that kind of performance.

I personally think, that with the broad talent of many of our musicians, in addition to having many that will be at Bronycon, we could certainly pull off a song like this, which would establish something new that hasn't been done before (much different than a mass musician singalong to one of the FiM songs, or a rapper's compilation.)

So here's some of the logistics issues outlined that have been discussed:

- We'd need a musician who is familiar with this particular style. IMO, Psychedelic Brony is very good at emulating older styles, and a lot of his music has that "ye old carnival," type of sound to it, which I think would work well.

- We'd need a musician who can write an intricate story for the lyrics. Something that can relate to the fandom, that has separate parts for the backing group vocals, and the lead singer.
*Note: Cloppin Time is not particularly recommended.*

- We'd need a dedicated lead singer as the front of the group.

- We'd need a good setup of microphones to capture the entire group, in addition to separate mics for the lead singer.

- We'd need a dedicated space (i.e. conference room) to setup the recording, that we could have to ourselves for at least an hour to rehearse and record. The actual music for the song would have to be prerecorded so there's a playback to listen to and sing along with.

- We'd need somebody who's good at mixing and mastering to arrange the final tracks for the music, recording, and possibly a few solo tracks for musicians who were unable to attend. The end goal of the mastering process would be to achieve that older musical type of sound for the final recording.

With regards to the above mentioned logistical issues, I think it's definitely doable, but it obviously depends on interest (who here would like to do something like this,) and whether or not we can organize it in time (hence why I'm making this post nearly 3 months out.)

What do you guys think. Yay? Nay?

Also, if there are any logistics issues that I haven't touched on, please share.

P.S. I realize half of what makes these performances great is the choreography in the production, although what I'm pitching is strictly musical, so don't worry about us trying to organize some crazy video performance with massive amounts of choreography.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Re: Possible Idea for Bronycon

Postby RaynStrom » 03 Apr 2012 12:50

I can dig it. I would love to help with sound design, composition, and/or production and would happily lend my talents as a bass clarinetist.
http://soundcloud.com/raynstrom/chrysalis
Life is an adventure, make some noise.

WIP
Fire Shy-Balloon Party

The Lucid Mixtape

Various other projects
RaynStrom

Postby the4thImpulse » 03 Apr 2012 12:56

I like the idea and could help with mixing and mastering.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Random111223 » 03 Apr 2012 13:07

So.. um.. this x20 on a live stage?

i'm going to hell for this
Random111223

Postby That_One_Dood » 09 Apr 2012 05:47

I would be up for it as well. Don't know how much of a help I would be but I will be there so if this does happen, count me in. When we get some musical ideas around I'll see if I can write something to contribute.
DAW: FL studio 10
Plugins: Komplete 8 and various freeware plugins
Instruments: Ibanez Xiphos, M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller
Genre: Whatever feels good at the time
That_One_Dood

Postby Facexplodie » 10 Apr 2012 03:17

NavyBrony, this is absolutely brilliant! Me thinks Psychadelic Brony would be a mighty fine choice, and of course any pony else who would wish to participate.
"Its been said
Long time ago
You'll be the first
And last to know"
Facexplodie

Postby @ppleBukker » 10 Apr 2012 12:38

I'm up for this idea 100%

I would love to be the lead singer.

Okay, how do I sound? Give me a song to sing. Give me something to prove myself. If I'm not good enough, I'll understand. Also, I have about two or three good mics I could throw into the pool.

P.S. I have a good stage presence. I've played and sung in front of crowds in the past. I'm good with moving around and being comfortable on stage.
DAWs: Ableton Live Intro 8, Madtracker II, FamiTracker II,FL Studio 12.5
Preferred Genres: Breakcore, DnB, Uplifting Trance, Punk/Grunge, Smooth Electronica
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/applebukker
Pony.fm: https://pony.fm/pplebukker
@ppleBukker

Primary: Ableton/FL Studio
Cutie Mark: 16th Note w/ Halo

Postby Interrobang Pie » 10 Apr 2012 15:21

It won't work.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Navron » 10 Apr 2012 19:25

@ppleBukker wrote:I'm up for this idea 100%

I would love to be the lead singer.

Okay, how do I sound? Give me a song to sing. Give me something to prove myself. If I'm not good enough, I'll understand. Also, I have about two or three good mics I could throw into the pool.

P.S. I have a good stage presence. I've played and sung in front of crowds in the past. I'm good with moving around and being comfortable on stage.

If you've played and sung in front of crowds for stage performances, most likely you're above good enough, although it depends on style, which, just off the top of my head, would be more like the Flim Flam brothers style, with a mixture of singing and clever vocals, rather than a choir type performance.

Also, just to reclarify, but this idea doesn't involve an actual performance and/or choreography. The sole purpose of doing this as a group thing would be to avoid having to deal with dozens of recordings that may/may not be lined up, and a great deal of different microphones and recording formats. My original idea was to have a bunch of us send in our backing vocals, but with those limitations, it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible for even a professional mastering tech to pull off the effect.

Thus, the idea of doing it at bronycon, but it depends on interest level, who's planning on going, and whether or not we can find a space to record.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby @ppleBukker » 12 Apr 2012 14:48

NavyBrony wrote:If you've played and sung in front of crowds for stage performances, most likely you're above good enough, although it depends on style, which, just off the top of my head, would be more like the Flim Flam brothers style, with a mixture of singing and clever vocals, rather than a choir type performance.

As far as the style, I believe I can easily do it. If everything works out, I'll still be interested. Anything behind the scenes that needs to be done, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help out.
DAWs: Ableton Live Intro 8, Madtracker II, FamiTracker II,FL Studio 12.5
Preferred Genres: Breakcore, DnB, Uplifting Trance, Punk/Grunge, Smooth Electronica
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/applebukker
Pony.fm: https://pony.fm/pplebukker
@ppleBukker

Primary: Ableton/FL Studio
Cutie Mark: 16th Note w/ Halo

Postby Decmaster IX » 15 Apr 2012 09:00

I'd love to take part in this. My ability to go is questionable since I'm in California, but it's still a big possibility that I'll go.

All questionabilities aside, I think I'd be great for this kind of thing. I've just recently partaken in our schools production of The Music Man, so I know the style very well. I think I'd fit in fine in the background vocals of the song.
You can just call me Decmaster.
My DAW: Logic Pro 9
My Soundcloud
My YouTube account
Rainbow and REJECTED
Decmaster IX

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events